Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
so i guess new sale day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Y3Ry4aX-Y&t=290s

anyway watch at least ten seconds of this to see some of chris roberts' visionary direction come through

e- eyyyyyyyyyyyyyy im developin heeeeeeerreee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tippis posted:

No. Those are some of the user interaction modes with the IFCS. The components of the IFCS are input, parameter controls, and the goal profiler. These are the bits that alter the physical response of the ship to match what the player wants the ship to do within the non-physics-based parameters set up by the ship designer. The whole system exists to make sure that the ship designer is kept away from the actual physics as much as possible; that all that matter is desired outcome and goal times, not simple things like forces and masses.

This is all explained in a neat document written by one of the developers himself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1poxfPYfm32r84G4WWWJ6uK-rU6ijl85g/view.

By the way, you should probably read up a bit on who Combat Theory actually is before you start making accusations about his unfamiliarity with, or lack of understanding of, the IFCS.

I love you too Tippis

I'll never not lol to someone linking a John Pritchett document to own me on IFCS talks.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 29, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just walked past a loving fish tank in x4

lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

so this is fun star citizen?

It's an X game, so it's fun, but usually quite buggy and very European, but I suspect that they've really learned the lessons of X:Rebirth. Single-player, though.

happyhippy posted:

Watching this as well.
Right now Croberts is watching mouth agape , nose lined with coke, and a small nosebleed drip.

"loving CONVEYORS"

"What, Chris?"

"THEY HAVE THE CONVEYORS, FROM THE AIRPORT. WHY DIDN'T WE DO THIS?"

"We have the trains, Chris"

"BUT THE loving CONVEYORS"

"Travelators, Chris"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Just you fuckin' watch, next month we're gonna get a big splashy preview of Economy 3.0 and it's going to have all this overhead megamap stuff that X4 is doing, because so far that's the only feature in X4 that SC hasn't already promised.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Just you fuckin' watch, next month we're gonna get a big splashy preview of Economy 3.0 and it's going to have all this overhead megamap stuff that X4 is doing, because so far that's the only feature in X4 that SC hasn't already promised.

Considering CIG's copious history of preempting other companies by making fraudulent claims about their own product, I'm rather surprised CIG didn't defer their free-fly weekend by one week.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

happyhippy posted:

Watching this as well.
Right now Croberts is watching mouth agape , nose lined with coke, and a small nosebleed drip.

Don't forget the pen and notepad.

Tomorrow he's going to go rushing into the office and exclaim: "Guys! I've just had a great idea!"

And tonight, many CIG devs will have troubled sleep, because they know this is going to happen, and their lives will become just that bit more complicated once again, as all the priorities get shifted around and they are forced to put weeks or months worth of work on the back burner while they are switched to implemented whatever caught CR's eye in the X4 streams.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

It's an X game, so it's fun, but usually quite buggy and very European, but I suspect that they've really learned the lessons of X:Rebirth. Single-player, though.

"loving CONVEYORS"

"What, Chris?"

"THEY HAVE THE CONVEYORS, FROM THE AIRPORT. WHY DIDN'T WE DO THIS?"

"We have the trains, Chris"

"BUT THE loving CONVEYORS"

"Travelators, Chris"

THE CONVEYERS WERE NOT A JOKE!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
GiantWaffle is playing SC right now, within 1 minute of joining his stream his game crashed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Don't forget the pen and notepad.

Tomorrow he's going to go rushing into the office and exclaim: "Guys! I've just had a great idea!"

And tonight, many CIG devs will have troubled sleep, because they know this is going to happen, and their lives will become just that bit more complicated once again, as all the priorities get shifted around and they are forced to put weeks or months worth of work on the back burner while they are switched to implemented whatever caught CR's eye in the X4 streams.

The best part will be that it's all the superficial poo poo he'll see. Hav had it right about the conveyors. He won't notice the streamlined presentation, the efficient menus, the simplicity of navigation. But he'll notice laser colors, the way light is cutting through fog, or the color of a pixel on an immersion monitor, and he will drool, spit, and lose his poo poo.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Frontier Developments audio guy Ross Stack streaming on YouTube for those interested in game audio creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tv4soblc4o

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dooguk posted:

Frontier Developments audio guy Ross Stack streaming on YouTube for those interested in game audio creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tv4soblc4o

gently caress it if it's not ASIO.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do SC subreddit posters when responding to questions about poo poo like the news van's lack of an "enhanced imaging suite" or literally anything to image or broadcast? if it was all so explicit years ago and the ship is out but with none of that even on the roadmap above 0% completion it seems impossible to defend

I'm so close to just posting on there pretending to be a regular befuddled backer who bought one to be a space reporter and is confused and upset all the shooty men get to do their space dreams

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Scruffpuff posted:

gently caress it if it's not ASIO.

I know gently caress all about audio creation (or game development). I just listen to the end result and he's making asteroid explosions. Elite has good asteroid explosions!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This Twitch chat is very amusing. "It's a playable star citizen game?" "A good space game? :o" etc.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

self.starcitizen I spent $1000 on a ship and I want to use the particle collider to grow megacorn, help please?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

is the endeavor peak star citizen?

Either that or the direct-to-dvd Homeworld ripoff they sold to let players build bases for other players, that will almost certainly be replaced by pre-sold "base bundles" (if they ever remember the land claim mechanic they pitched)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

How do SC subreddit posters when responding to questions about poo poo like the news van's lack of an "enhanced imaging suite" or literally anything to image or broadcast? if it was all so explicit years ago and the ship is out but with none of that even on the roadmap above 0% completion it seems impossible to defend

I'm so close to just posting on there pretending to be a regular befuddled backer who bought one to be a space reporter and is confused and upset all the shooty men get to do their space dreams

They will tell you that it's Tier 0 and that Chris will deliver on all promises, quit being so impatient. Seriously. He promised it once, therefor he remembers it and it's coming, no matter that it isn't on any roadmap and he hasn't mentioned it in years. The only time Citizens get even slightly agitated is when another year goes by and stuff like the big alien spaceship doesn't even get a peep out of them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Either that or the direct-to-dvd Homeworld ripoff they sold to let players build bases for other players, that will almost certainly be replaced by pre-sold "base bundles" (if they ever remember the land claim mechanic they pitched)

In hindsight I really should have covered a lot more of the unfinished ships because the stuff they've sold and not even begun to deliver on is 100x crazier than the variety of small fighters actually in the game today

Will definitely be covering some of the big gently caress-ups tomorrow, on the final day of the expo. Like the spaceship-airliner, the mobile repair garage, and the colony ship.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 29, 2018

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Frog Act posted:

self.starcitizen I spent $1000 on a ship and I want to use the particle collider to grow megacorn, help please?

good news the plant genetics module is due out in 2021

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I think it's very funny that years ago it was the exact same morons constantly arguing with normal people who took one look at Wildstar and said 'are you kidding with this tedious spergy crap? This better be fixed or the game will be loving dead' with their inane 'you're just entitled and impatient if you can't handle tedious unfun spergy horse poo poo in your video game'.

Did they learn anything about game design from that trainwreck, nope, here they are telling everyone that you're just impatient and entitled if you can't handle a quarter of an hour of absolutely nothing happening as part of the core gameplay loop of the game.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

At my height i was paying the reduced yearly rate of $120 per account, over three accounts.

So how the hell could someone be paying $500 to play EVE?
Oh, I forgot who it was who posted that.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Was not the Endeavour ship some mark point that they stated ships conceived after that may not be in the game at launch?

Now they are releasing new flyable internet space ships directly into the 'pre-alpha' "game" for more money.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 29, 2018

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

This thread moves pretty fast sometimes. If you don't stop and take a read every once in a while you might miss it.

After paying Lowtax 10bux to post.
alkcjwpoqreiufwmc'l,c['
l][okQWFDK

nEVER HAD ONE LESSON.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

can I harvest space vegetables from my endeavor to plant on my land plot in time for the 6:00 farming report? my investors are expecting gains in my soybeans on the galactic market and i have a trading ship coming to monitor the markets without communication delays. this is my fantasy

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kosumo posted:

Was not the Endeavour ship some mark point that they stated ships conceived after that may not be in the game at launch?

Now they are releasing new flyable internet space ships directly into the 'pre-alpha' "game" for more money.

Yes. They absolved themselves of the responsibility to actually deliver the ships at any point in the next six years. Which makes sense because they were selling a ship with the mechanical ability to literally create new outposts on planets. How the gently caress would that work? Can a player make more than one? If so wouldn't you expect good spots to get overrun with them? What is the mechanical purpose of outposts? How does creating one work across servers since the game has no persistence and is sharded onto multiple servers? Are they destructible, and if so how are you going to handle players who logged out in an intact outpost logging back in to find it's destroyed- do they just have to suicide or are they stranded? They never considered any of this. They have planets, so they sold some planet mechanics and straight up said "Yeah but don't expect us to deliver them though." Then they got back to selling fighters.

Some people would call this fraud.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

can I harvest space vegetables from my endeavor to plant on my land plot in time for the 6:00 farming report? my investors are expecting gains in my soybeans on the galactic market and i have a trading ship coming to monitor the markets without communication delays. this is my fantasy

This Is What Citizens Actually Believe

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the hosed up thing is I'd actually be kinda into that given how much time I spent in Star Wars Galaxies. even if all the nonsense promises about infinitely nested interactivity with every object, item, and environmental setpiece weren't made I'd still be into the idea of fulfilling crafting and buffing roles in a meaningful way

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You did right by him.

Thanks. It's one of the only things that keeps me up at night.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

the hosed up thing is I'd actually be kinda into that given how much time I spent in Star Wars Galaxies. even if all the nonsense promises about infinitely nested interactivity with every object, item, and environmental setpiece weren't made I'd still be into the idea of fulfilling crafting and buffing roles in a meaningful way

Yeah no that would be a cool MMO. A Tale In The Desert but with spaceships. I'd give it a whirl.

But it's clear that Star Citizen doesn't have the means to support any of that, and never intended to, and isn't working towards it now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Where did the nazi go after calling people slow?

EvilMerlin posted:

And? Its still a Honduh. At least the ricebois typically leave the Type R's alone because they are already riced out.

Oh, right, nobody cares and we hope he fucks off.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

That's one of my major complaints about the physics model. Even if they claimed "the ships are made of magic metal unobtainium and therefore structural integrity is unbreakable" they still wouldn't bounce, they'd impact the planet surface and loving pierce it if it's a perfect lineup, or gouge and slide crash while tossing tons of displaced rocks and other material into the air. Even if the planet were indestructible, there would still be enough force vectors in play to prevent that ridiculous bounce we see.

That lack of physics carries over into the biggest problem I have with the big ships - the lack of inertia. They should take an enormous amount of effort to get moving, and an equally enormous amount of effort to stop. And during all this, there should be consideration like, if I provide enough thrust to move this ship, what's to just keep the thrusters from peeling themselves off the hull with that force?

Nothing in this "game" is thought out at any level. Even when it works, it sucks.

Are you a physicist? NO
Are you a metallurgist? NO
Are you a games developer? NO

Well then, three NO's means you get a "gently caress off with your FUD" red card.

And before you ask, I don't need to be any of those either, as I'm not the one spreading the FUD.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/N8MageM.gifv

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

buns are the best

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SolusLunes posted:

I mean

they've succeeded at this, their game breaks their servers and fails, we've heard about it, we've felt it

This <insert gender> gets it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

As a terrible poster myself and a frequent user of GBS I can easily identify terrible posters and I'm pretty sure melvin is the worst one this thread has ever had.

Someone is going to say Seraph and while it's true that Seraph is a terrible person and a terrible poster I still think he's not as bad a poster as marvin.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

As a terrible poster myself and a frequent user of GBS I can easily identify terrible posters and I'm pretty sure melvin is the worst one this thread has ever had.

Someone is going to say Seraph and while it's true that Seraph is a terrible person and a terrible poster I still think he's not as bad a poster as marvin.

Independently performed clinical trials have shown that increased homozygosity can result in believing in and defending Chris Roberts. Our exposure to it is the inevitable consequence of being aware of the horrifying truths of the project.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Where did the nazi go after calling people slow?

Oh, right, nobody cares and we hope he fucks off.

Ah drat, I thought I had missed a post and was warming up my "That's a probation" button.

Preraph was funny at least.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Regarding the farm pod ship. Have they already mocapped the 3 little dudes walking on their hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

damning.