Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I had a copy of Heaven 17's Penthouse and Pavement in my latest haul (and it wasn't even broken in half or actively on fire or anything), had it on in the background, and it was actually a real treat to stumble into its gimmick blind. This is without exaggeration the kind of thing I got into records for.

Spoiler tags in the vinyl thread? Why not! It has a locked groove that loops the line "for a very long time" and it took me a good five minutes to catch on. "Man, they're really driving the point home. Man, they managed to fit a really long song onto a record. Wait a second, it goes one revolution per repeat OH YOU SNEAKY FUCKS" I just love how seamless it is, and how you have to work that sort of thing right into the songwriting and recording process.

I wonder if they have a preference on how many times it should repeat. I have a record with a locked groove; the song is 5 minutes long, but discogs and last.fm say the song is over 11 minutes. I don’t know what to believe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Toe Rag posted:

I wonder if they have a preference on how many times it should repeat. I have a record with a locked groove; the song is 5 minutes long, but discogs and last.fm say the song is over 11 minutes. I don’t know what to believe!

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music ends in a locked groove and some pressings list the running time of that track with the infinity symbol.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

So did there end up being a Residents Black Friday release?
Signs point to nerp. I might hit a couple stores tomorrow out of curiosity tomorrow, but I figure I would have caught wind of it by now if it existed.

Guess they wanted a wide release for Baby Sex.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Signs point to nerp. I might hit a couple stores tomorrow out of curiosity tomorrow, but I figure I would have caught wind of it by now if it existed.

Guess they wanted a wide release for Baby Sex.

I called a couple places and they didn't hear anything about a Residents LP, one of them was a store that specializes in weird poo poo like that and always gets the RSD Residents poo poo. I got the WB Album from them last year. The guy there told me he never saw anything on the list but I figured I'd ask you because you're the expert. I could probably live without an album called "Baby Sex" but I was wondering if it was some other release.

Anyway, thanks.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The Science Goy posted:

Man, that's cool as gently caress. I wonder if that was something that was actually planned in advance, or if they came up with it while reviewing the test pressings. Extremely neat either way.

Small Business Saturday means I ventured out to two local record shops and picked up a nice little pile of stuff.

A few of these specific albums were on my list, a few were artists that I dig in general, and a few were impulse buys.

I love that Crusaders album. I think I bought it on a whim once just because it was pretty cheap, but it probably ranks among my most-played records now.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Great album cover

even better insert

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Lionel Richie’s greatest legacy.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I made a new Christmas Decoration for my house. I call it The Andy Christ.

And yes, it is glued to a copy of Whipped Cream as a tribute to this forum.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey folks, just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the 7" Pre-Orders. I should be receiving the shipment Friday/Saturday and am going to work on sending out invoices this week. I will spend the weekend getting everything packaged up and hopefully ship on Monday. I'll let everyone know if that schedule changes. Thanks again for your support, it means a lot.

If anyone else wants to pre-order my first single, just send me a PM and I can add you to the list.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Oh sit, VMP announced their ROTM for December and the Rap & Hip-Hop record is Tha Carter III !!! I was really hoping this would be the RHH record, and the black/red galaxy swirl vinyl looks sweet. They also have Tha Carter II, The MInd of Mannie Fresh, and Guerilla Warfare (by Hot Boys) available in their store. After the sale this month, I really can't be spending more money on records but drat if Tha Carter II isn't really tempting me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hit me up when they press Drought 3 or No Ceilings.

...which will never happen :smith:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Hit me up when they press Drought 3 or No Ceilings.

...which will never happen :smith:

From my understanding, it is really hard to go back and press mixtapes because most of the time they contain uncleared samples.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I could never really get into Cash Money so this is probably a swap month for me. The Hot Boys exclusive is... a little tempting, though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

I could never really get into Cash Money so this is probably a swap month for me. The Hot Boys exclusive is... a little tempting, though.

I was never a big Cash Money fan but Wayne is a completely different story. Tha Carter III is a classic with a bunch of amazing tracks (Let The Beat Build, A Milli, Ms. Officer, Lollipop). It was also remastered by a very reputable engineer, so I can't wait to crank this and feel the house rumble. I understand if it isn't your thing but man I am excited for this.

I feel like Hot Boyz will probably sell out relatively quick compared to the other non-ROTM exclusives since it is the first time this has been issued on vinyl. But who knows. On the VMP forums, they also mentioned that January's release is also going to be a Cash Money record, which I am less thrilled about.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My wife got mad when I said I wanted to swap Lil Wayne. But then I told her it was to get Biggie Smalls’ Ready to Die and she’s now cool with it. :j:

An early front runner for next month is Juvenile’s 400 Degreez, but maybe I’m saying that only because it’s a Cash Money album I wouldn’t mind getting.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I swapped from Staples to Wayne almost immediately. I also had no idea that he got sued for Playing With Fire for it being derivative of The Rolling Stones’ Play With Fire.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

MrSargent posted:

I was never a big Cash Money fan but Wayne is a completely different story. Tha Carter III is a classic with a bunch of amazing tracks (Let The Beat Build, A Milli, Ms. Officer, Lollipop). It was also remastered by a very reputable engineer, so I can't wait to crank this and feel the house rumble. I understand if it isn't your thing but man I am excited for this.

I feel like Hot Boyz will probably sell out relatively quick compared to the other non-ROTM exclusives since it is the first time this has been issued on vinyl. But who knows. On the VMP forums, they also mentioned that January's release is also going to be a Cash Money record, which I am less thrilled about.

Not sure which one it is cause I’m phone posting but one of these Mannie interviews talks about his life and influence, and I’m sure the other one is fine as well. Well worth a listen even though they are long

https://youtu.be/5Nu_BA_o1z4

https://youtu.be/YwQMxd6iG2w

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bela Lugosi's Dead has been reissued for the first time in almost 30 years. It also includes a few previously unreleased tracks from that session.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I want that Carter album so drat bad and am not a VMP member :(

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I want that Carter album so drat bad and am not a VMP member :(

You can sign up for a month to get it and then cancel your subscription?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MrSargent posted:

You can sign up for a month to get it and then cancel your subscription?

Can you swap the monthly records for ANYTHING in the VMP catalog that is currently available? Or do you have to choose one of the three monthly albums they release? $27 a month (billed tri-monthly) isn't too bad for well made albums... Hmmmm...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Can you swap the monthly records for ANYTHING in the VMP catalog that is currently available? Or do you have to choose one of the three monthly albums they release? $27 a month (billed tri-monthly) isn't too bad for well made albums... Hmmmm...

you can swap if you subscribe for a min of 3 months, there are generally a lot of things available for swap.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

They allow swaps on all subscription levels now, including the one month plan. There is usually 20 or so swap options withe the emphasis on past RotM

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sporklift posted:

They allow swaps on all subscription levels now, including the one month plan. There is usually 20 or so swap options withe the emphasis on past RotM

well gently caress me running.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

As others have said, regardless of your subscription level (1 month, 3 month), you can swap your the ROTM in your "track" with anything on their swap list. The swap list is its own list and mostly contains past ROTM's that they still have in stock and other VMP exclusives. I feel like I have sometimes seen non-exclusives in the swap list but that doesn't appear to be the case this time around. They have been making changes to the swap list pretty frequently in previous months and I remember at one point there were only about 15 available, and then two days later there were about 2-3x as many options.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

As others have said, regardless of your subscription level (1 month, 3 month), you can swap your the ROTM in your "track" with anything on their swap list. The swap list is its own list and mostly contains past ROTM's that they still have in stock and other VMP exclusives. I feel like I have sometimes seen non-exclusives in the swap list but that doesn't appear to be the case this time around. They have been making changes to the swap list pretty frequently in previous months and I remember at one point there were only about 15 available, and then two days later there were about 2-3x as many options.

Yeah I think they said going forward they weren't going to be adding/changing swap options while they are available. That one month where they kept adding stuff several times a day for like, four days was nuts.

I think this month's selection is a little lackluster compared to previous months because they just held a huge Thanksgiving sale which probably saw a lot of inventory get moved. Still some good records to choose from this month, especially if you're into crate digger-ish stuff.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

Yeah I think they said going forward they weren't going to be adding/changing swap options while they are available. That one month where they kept adding stuff several times a day for like, four days was nuts.

I think this month's selection is a little lackluster compared to previous months because they just held a huge Thanksgiving sale which probably saw a lot of inventory get moved. Still some good records to choose from this month, especially if you're into crate digger-ish stuff.

Listened to Tha Carter III this morning and man I knew I really liked this album, but I didn't realize I would remember pretty much every song on it. This was also one of my wife's favorite rap albums of all time so I am pretty excited for this month. Speaking of crate-digging, I also read on the VMP forums that they are looking to start a new Subscription Track called "Crate Digging". The focus will be on albums that are sought after by crate diggers because they are really good/rare or because they were very important in sampling. I love this idea but don't exactly need to be spending more money each month at VMP.

If you had a top-5 of records you would want to see as a VMP Record of the Month, what would they be? Can be for any of the tracks. I think mine would have to be:

1. 9th Wonder - The Wonder Years
This only got pressed up once and goes for quite a bit on discogs. Also seems like the only ones for sale are coming from Japan so it would be great to see a reissue.

2. MF DOOM - Vaudeville Villain
This one has a few different versions, but none that go for less than $75 on discogs, would be great to add this to my DOOM collection and not break the bank.

3. Kanye West - Yeezus
This never saw a release on vinyl like a few of Kanye's albums, but this one is probably my favorite of the ones that haven't been pressed. Although I would really like a Repress of MBDTF that actually sounds good and isn't split across 3x LPs.

4. Dr. Dre - 2001
It might be just me, but I cannot for the life of me find a version of this LP that isn't censored. Been burned twice trying to grab this only to find it is the censored version, despite no indication of this anywhere on the record.

5. Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement
From what I can tell, this one hasn't seen a reissue/repress like a lot of their other albums. Dilla did a lot of the production on this one and I would love to add it to my Tribe collection.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In no particular order:

1. Jon Doe - Meet Jon Doe. The DJ/producer of underground ATL hip hop group Prophetix had one solo album come out in 2003, and it's fantastic. Filled with buttery, soulful beats with guest vocals including MF DOOM, MF Grimm, Count Bass D, and more. The album has an overarching theme of trying your best to make it in life... and failing miserably. Supastition's track is about trying to actually make a successful career out of hip hop (it doesn't work out well), J. Sands' "Strong Black Rebel Rap" could be an anthem to Black Lives Matter, C-Rayz Walz spends his entire song lambasting unpaid debt with "gently caress these motherfuckin' bills!" being a hook for the ages, and Declaime's track ends the album on a bright happy note that no matter how good or how bad your life is, at least at some point you're gonna be dead like everybody else on the planet. So you know, feelgood album of the year. Never released entirely on vinyl, it's a forgotten gem.

2. Barış Manço - 2023. I love me some Turkish psych/funk and in the 1970s, Barış Manço was the sultan of psych. His work from this time period has been heavily sampled, with I Oh No's "Dr. No's Oxperiment" beat CD being my personal introduction to Manço (as well as Selda and the infamous Mustafa von Ozkent album everyone in this thread should own by now). I'd be fine with any re-issue of Manço's work from this time period, but if I had to pick one, it'd probably 2023, which he did in 1975 with his band at the time, Kurtalan Ekspres. It might just be me, but the album's title song always reminded me a bit of "Wish You Were Here" era Pink Floyd. But again, that's probably just me. I don't think it's ever been released in the U.S. and the last vinyl reissue was years ago.

3. The Concept of Alps - anything. If discogs is to believed, this underground NYC rap crew have been churning out singles on vinyl for about 25 years, but not a single album has ever come out. All of their stuff goes for big bucks, and I'm pretty sure I've brought up here before how much I love Just Can't Explain/All Alone. Would totally be down with a compilation album and extensive liner notes on the band's history.

4. Jneiro Jarel - Fauna. I actually own this on vinyl already, but would love a remaster/special edition that helps give the album greater exposure. Jneiro is an excellent beatmaker/not bad rapper probably most famous for being the "JJ" in "JJ DOOM." But honestly he's had much better projects such as Shape of Broad Minds or Willie Isz with Khujo Goodie. Fauna is a solo album that focuses on his love of all things Brazil. My dream collab would be Jneiro teaming up with Beck doing a Brazilian-inspired bossa nova album. Unfortunately Jneiro recently suffered a stroke while in Costa Rica and his wife had to do a GoFundMe to raise money to get him back to the U.S. for rehab. It... it sounds bad. Like he'll probably survive but I'm not sure if he'll ever make music again, and that really makes me sad.

5. Butcher Brown - Grown Folk. I've mentioned these cats a couple of times, they're a fantastic jazz band, recently opening for Kamasi Washington on several tour dates. Grown Folk is probably their funkiest and most hip hop-influenced release, driven heavily by the keyboards of DJ Harrison (who himself moonlights as a hip hop producer for Stones Throw). The only physical release for this album has been on cassette.

Edit: Would be totally down with getting a reissue of 9th Wonder or Vaudeville Villain. My wife loves the poo poo out of Dre, so 2001 would have to be an insta-buy for me because I'm a good husband.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2018

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Discogs apparently hasn't been updated. Guerssen put out legit (-ish?) reissues of a bunch of period Manco LPs:
http://www.guerssen.com/catalogue.php?format=ALL&genre=ALL&field=ALL&field_text=baris

Forced Exposure has most of them in stock. They're all well sourced and good quality (or at least close to the OGs, some poo poo's hot/blown out a bit.)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh that's cool. In that case I wouldn't mind seeing a Guerssen collab for some store exclusives since I'm a lazy American and probably wouldn't bother importing. VMP occasionally teams up with other record labels for exclusive reissues on things, with some recent collab examples being Sub Pop, Mr. Bongo, Cash Money, and Guruguru Brain (that last record label specializing in modern Japanese psych so very much in the same wheelhouse as those Guerssen releases).

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Definitely going to check out that Butcher Brown, thanks for sharing.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I want that Lil Wayne SO BAD, but I know my wife will kill me if I keep up my vinyl spending habit. I've amassed over 500 records in one year, lol.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TheJetCityFix posted:

I want that Lil Wayne SO BAD, but I know my wife will kill me if I keep up my vinyl spending habit. I've amassed over 500 records in one year, lol.

Dude, this sounds EXACTLY like me right now. I was out of town for work for two days last month, and of course it happened to be a day where 6 loving records were delivered to my house. Wife sent me a pic of them stacked on our kitchen table, questioning where she went wrong, lol. I don't want to say how many records I have after 2 years of collecting...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Stop buying stuff and give it to me imo

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My friends and I have a we'll-check-each-other's-mail-while-they're-out-of-town pact.

We're all terrible enablers and spending way, way too much money on records.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

My friends and I have a we'll-check-each-other's-mail-while-they're-out-of-town pact.

We're all terrible enablers and spending way, way too much money on records.

Ok I am glad I am not the only one who has done this, lol. Let's just say I have an 8-cubby and 9-cubby Kallax shelf and ran out of room in them a couple months ago.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
You've bought like 900+ records in 2 years? How can you possibly listen to them all?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Barry posted:

You've bought like 900+ records in 2 years? How can you possibly listen to them all?

Lol who listens to records

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Lol who listens to records

Don’t want to lower their value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018