Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I had an underleveled warden tank for all of Fornost. He had no trouble with aggro and the minstrel kept him up except for one pull where he ran around the corner while grabbing 3 sets of enemies. We had no line of sight to heal or help out. When we started the Shadow wing the minstrel left so a beorning swapped to heals and another warden came in, doing great damage and swapping with the tank for the final boss as he had a few more levels on him and they wanted to play it safe.

A lot of people seem to be down with the play whatever mentality since this is the chill legendary server. By the time you are running T1s or the expansions catch up to live hopefully they will have done some balance patches or you can still power through just maybe not as fast as the mix maxers would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm trying to adopt the 'play what you want' mentality so I'm trying a warden. I see tons of recent threads and comments in world chat about how they're garbage. Is that just the ravings of min/maxers or are they really shunned as tanks? I get that they're a challenging class to play but that's not the same as being inherently useless.

Peak Warden tanking is supposedly just as effective as peak Guardian tanking but requires a lot more work, less margin for error, and idk there's probably less carry over from how you shred the landscape to tanking for a group with Wardens (more buffs instead of self-healing through everything?)

My only Warden before this one was the gimmick 1->95 without unlocking Moria (and legendary weapons) so I've never played it in serious groups.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I'm catching up on the thread and running my patch updates, might as well ask if anyone's still doing standard game or is everyone futzing around on the Legendary server?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

sassassin posted:

Peak Warden tanking is supposedly just as effective as peak Guardian tanking but requires a lot more work, less margin for error, and idk there's probably less carry over from how you shred the landscape to tanking for a group with Wardens (more buffs instead of self-healing through everything?)

Right, this is pretty much the reason that wardens are frequently poo poo upon. It takes a pretty good player who knows what they're doing and pays attention to be a good warden tank.... which as you can imagine is not the norm for casual pubbies.

Pretty much anybody can be a serviceable tank using a guardian.

So while the best wardens and best guardians can tank about on the same level, the average warden is starkly shittier than the average guard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
On the flipside I loving hated tanking as a guardian even though it's my favourite landscape class. It's so boring.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I'm catching up on the thread and running my patch updates, might as well ask if anyone's still doing standard game or is everyone futzing around on the Legendary server?

I'm still doing standard content. The post-Mordor story and worldbuilding are easily the best this game has ever done. Currently enjoying steamrolling landscape content on my well-geared hunter, going back and knocking out old deeds, and slowly leveling up crafting on my alts with the goal of finally being able to craft endgame gear, next content pack if not this one. I like the old zones as much as anyone but I have 3 alts somewhere between Evendim and Moria and haven't really been feeling it. I would like to do another playthrough of Volume 3 of the epic so maybe I'll drag one through Moria and Mirkwood at some point. Until they fix the imbued LI system, which seems likely to be another year, the amount of grinding needed to run post-100 content comfortably is insane; my Hunter only managed it through a combination of running years of MT dailies for scrolls and years of festivals for crystals and I'm not doing either of those on an alt.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
The money is mostly because of open tapping, everyone gets loot from monsters they kill instead of the group/raid splitting the drops. At level 50 a popular thing to do is essence armor farm, which is a raid of 50s running around outside the rift murdering all the elite masters trying to get teal set pieces / nadhin essence slot armor. You make at least 10 gold an hour just from cash and a few more from vendoring the junk. And because of open tapping that is 10g/hr per person.

I'm having a lot of fun on this server though, and I like how easy everything is. I like just blitzing through instances on my fat hobbit guardian and my group blowing stuff up. I like how we finished an entire rift raid in under an hour last night. I don't think I would be having a very good time on this server if there were more complicated mechanics and bosses given how stiff the combat feels in lotro because of all the animation locks and stuns that monsters throw out.

TLDR: this server is easy but it's fun and good

Edit: Also I like how the end raid is a short lockout (3 days max?) and even in SEA/OCE time zones I can always get a pug going for it.

r0rb fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 29, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

I'm still doing standard content. The post-Mordor story and worldbuilding are easily the best this game has ever done. Currently enjoying steamrolling landscape content on my well-geared hunter, going back and knocking out old deeds, and slowly leveling up crafting on my alts with the goal of finally being able to craft endgame gear, next content pack if not this one. I like the old zones as much as anyone but I have 3 alts somewhere between Evendim and Moria and haven't really been feeling it. I would like to do another playthrough of Volume 3 of the epic so maybe I'll drag one through Moria and Mirkwood at some point. Until they fix the imbued LI system, which seems likely to be another year, the amount of grinding needed to run post-100 content comfortably is insane; my Hunter only managed it through a combination of running years of MT dailies for scrolls and years of festivals for crystals and I'm not doing either of those on an alt.

Okay. As I was catching up in the thread and saw the Legendary server happening, I was figuring everyone headed off for that right when my situation's changed enough for me to be able to come back. Granted my work schedule'll likely have me on when everyone else is at work or sleeping, but at least I'm not the only one futzing around on Landroval.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm on Anor as Tanuki if any inviters are around!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
News Beacon

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-88

Update 23.2 (huge stuff coming, will be here in a couple weeks, raid will come later than that)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7895822#post7895822

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Patches still impact the legendary servers, right? They're capped at level and content but we're still on the latest release of game mechanics and stuff?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

extra stout posted:

Update 23.2 (huge stuff coming, will be here in a couple weeks, raid will come later than that)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7895822#post7895822

More changes to Beornings. Really can't tell if they're good or not, but at least they're doing something?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I shelled out for a 3 month sub to try out the legendary server and get one of my other characters premium status. I’m Merlwyb on Anor. I’m a level 14 beorning and enjoying it so far. I didn’t think it was possible, but world chat here is even worse than it is on Landroval. I should really disable it, but I just can’t stay away...

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I’m traipsing around level the Old Forest and Breeland. It’s been, what, 8 years since I last went through this zone, so I’m having a blast

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I shelled out for a 3 month sub to try out the legendary server and get one of my other characters premium status. I’m Merlwyb on Anor. I’m a level 14 beorning and enjoying it so far. I didn’t think it was possible, but world chat here is even worse than it is on Landroval. I should really disable it, but I just can’t stay away...

According to Landy World Chat today, the general belief is all the trolls headed over to Anor.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Anor general chat did seem to get much worse over the last couple of days, but maybe I'd just been lucky before that.

I got an Aria level boost from grabbing Mordor in the Black Friday sale but there's no real reason for me to use it just yet if my highest is only 65, right? I've got my mid 40s lore-master working on doing everything on the legendary server, and my only established character on a regular server (Landroval) is an almost 65 dwarf guardian who just stepped out of Moria. That was my major goal with him after the rest of my play group moved on a decade ago. I didn't see him as a warhorse riding type so I was going to park him and level up a warden or captain. But I don't think I can take another character through the vanilla content again so soon. Now that they added level 120 dwarf content I think I'll keep my dwarf going anyway. I don't suppose Rohan has war-goats? I could use the Aria on him to skip towards the dwarf-holds but that seems like a waste since he has a lot of hours played since beta. Maybe better to get him there the long way then use the Aria to jump up an alt for variety.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

bagrada posted:

Anor general chat did seem to get much worse over the last couple of days, but maybe I'd just been lucky before that.

I got an Aria level boost from grabbing Mordor in the Black Friday sale but there's no real reason for me to use it just yet if my highest is only 65, right? I've got my mid 40s lore-master working on doing everything on the legendary server, and my only established character on a regular server (Landroval) is an almost 65 dwarf guardian who just stepped out of Moria. That was my major goal with him after the rest of my play group moved on a decade ago. I didn't see him as a warhorse riding type so I was going to park him and level up a warden or captain. But I don't think I can take another character through the vanilla content again so soon. Now that they added level 120 dwarf content I think I'll keep my dwarf going anyway. I don't suppose Rohan has war-goats? I could use the Aria on him to skip towards the dwarf-holds but that seems like a waste since he has a lot of hours played since beta. Maybe better to get him there the long way then use the Aria to jump up an alt for variety.

Personally I'd recommend leveling one character naturally to see the story and the rest of the zones, then use the boost on another character, Captain would be a good choice for the boost since they level rather slowly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't you only get +10 to each Virtue with the level skip? So your character's previous efforts don't go entirely to waste.

I'm currently doing the Trollshaws spiders fellowship quests solo on my warden, one level below. It's getting tedious, and I wish I'd never started but there's so many elites between me and an exit I might as well keep going.

I thought 3 at once would kill me but I was wrong.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the Aria advice.

sassassin posted:

I'm currently doing the Trollshaws spiders fellowship quests solo on my warden, one level below. It's getting tedious, and I wish I'd never started but there's so many elites between me and an exit I might as well keep going.

I thought 3 at once would kill me but I was wrong.

OP wardens. I did those shaws quests with a rando beorning, hunter and champion. The bear would run past the spiders until he had enough that they actually started denting his health then he'd bunch them up and we'd AE them down. It was good times though he got enthusiastic and I think we killed about 40 more than we had to since we had to turn around and fight our way back out.

I also have to give props to the Dol Dinen quests. Last week I joined a runemaster and a hunter to help them finish the final step (the boss in the huge tent), and it actually popped up the final quest for me when I got up there. I ended up doing the whole chain pretty much backwards. It was great they were autogranted and could be done in whatever order.

I love that I can direct my pet to aggro and kill stuff while I'm in the midst of interacting with items and mining nodes in the wild. I put the pet attack button on my hotbar and it works while channeling other stuff. Stuff like that, the autoloot, and being able to click on doors to open them while riding at them full tilt (instead of having to come to a stop and click them once in melee range) are great conveniences that annoy the hell out of me when I go back to other mmos.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I finished when a loremaster and bear wandered in and I piggybacked on their effort.

Got an elk in a loot box. Happy days.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

I just noticed we can already grind Moria rep on the legendary server.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And since that's at 50, you can't level past it! Genius!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

bagrada posted:

And with how Landy chat's been pretty decent over the past few days, I'm thinking there's something to the migrating troll concept.

While I have debated making a character on the Legendary servers, I don't think I will just because my Landy roster is still fairly low level and have so much to do as it is. Hell, I'm finally getting my house in Thorin's Hall looking nice.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Should I just suck it up and join a reddit kinship on Anor? I'm only level 15 so it's more for background chat than anything.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

Rech posted:

I just noticed we can already grind Moria rep on the legendary server.

If you really want to grind moria rep just buy the rep items with skirmish marks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Richard M Nixon posted:

Should I just suck it up and join a reddit kinship on Anor? I'm only level 15 so it's more for background chat than anything.

No.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

r0rb posted:

If you really want to grind moria rep just buy the rep items with skirmish marks.

Are skirmishes available? I can't seem to kick off the starter quest, don't you usually get a quest invite at 15/20 or something?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I don't think they put in skirmish at the stage unfortunately.

I've lvled a bear to 21 on Anor but I went back to my old thrusthworthy LM on Landroval, coulnt get on with the grind for a 5th time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Literally jump (your character) off a cliff if you don't dress them up nice and warm before heading to the Misty Mountains.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Are skirmishes available? I can't seem to kick off the starter quest, don't you usually get a quest invite at 15/20 or something?

Skirmishes are not available, but you can still get marks and medallions. Deeds will give you a ton of marks, and all of the scaling instances in the instance finder will give you both. None of the high level gear is available for sale at the camps, but you can buy leveling gear, rep items, and the class quest items there.

Edit: You can definitely buy the two dwarf miner and guard (?) Moria rep items at the camp. I haven't actually done Moria in forever so I don't remember if there were other reps too.

r0rb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 6, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I spent all my marks on a cosmetic chest piece I haven't worn.

Looks silly without the matching legs I can't afford.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Literally jump (your character) off a cliff if you don't dress them up nice and warm before heading to the Misty Mountains.

I highly recommend the snow beast cloak with matching boots.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
https://www.lotro.com/en/LegacyBundle

New super whale package with every quest pack in the game, 1 year of VIP access, free premium house with no upkeep, mounts, deed accelerators, etc. $199, available 12/9 to 12/16.

Hoping this is just a crazy kitchen sink package as opposed to a last-ditch "we need to sell 1000 of these or go bankrupt"...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jalapeno_dude posted:

https://www.lotro.com/en/LegacyBundle

New super whale package with every quest pack in the game, 1 year of VIP access, free premium house with no upkeep, mounts, deed accelerators, etc. $199, available 12/9 to 12/16.

Hoping this is just a crazy kitchen sink package as opposed to a last-ditch "we need to sell 1000 of these or go bankrupt"...

I wouldn't be surprised if the legendary servers are making them more money than Mordor did, and with way less dev time needed. Almost no work required really. I don't have any inside info for 2018 and their sales, but just from observing the amount of people paying to play on Anor and Ithil, and how many new 20 dollar ponies I see from each 15 dollar a month customer there, I can't imagine they're struggling right now. Probably their first year where they impressed the overlords since signing up with them. This is just a way to get another ten percent to finish off the year. It's a good deal, but nothing crazy (like lifetime accounts were) that will lose them money in the future.

edit

Finished reading it and it is actually pretty drat awesome, but half of the benefits are things old players already own so I'm sticking with my theory that it's a way to milk new legendary players mostly. If I didn't already own every expansion and quest pack in game I'd be very tempted. Those must be about half the value.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 7, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

extra stout posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the legendary servers are making them more money than Mordor did, and with way less dev time needed. Almost no work required really. I don't have any inside info for 2018 and their sales, but just from observing the amount of people paying to play on Anor and Ithil, and how many new 20 dollar ponies I see from each 15 dollar a month customer there, I can't imagine they're struggling right now. Probably their first year where they impressed the overlords since signing up with them. This is just a way to get another ten percent to finish off the year. It's a good deal, but nothing crazy (like lifetime accounts were) that will lose them money in the future.

edit

Finished reading it and it is actually pretty drat awesome, but half of the benefits are things old players already own so I'm sticking with my theory that it's a way to milk new legendary players mostly. If I didn't already own every expansion and quest pack in game I'd be very tempted. Those must be about half the value.

I'm in the same boat. All I'd get out of this would be a year's sub, mounts and house decorations since I really don't want to move from my Thorin's Hall house to make the writs worthwhile. I still wish they'd make lifetime subs available again.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I'm guessing that's why they didn't put the expansions and quest packs on sale this Black Friday.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
$100 bucks for a year-long VIP subscription.

If you plan to stick around for a year, $100 dollars for all the extras is what you're shelling out for. That puts it into perspective for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Two hundred dollars on a video game?!? Tobias!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate how Angmar is structured. You have to walk so far to a quest area, do one objective, walk so far back (oh, all the wargs have respawned), and wouldn't you know it the next stage is to either go back there or maybe even further.

Needed a revamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I've just reached that ruined inn in Mirkwood and I'm already level 65. Is there any point in continuing to do the side-quests, or is it okay for me to just do the story quests?