Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

KV-2 and the Jumbo work well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My first t10 heavy was T110E5. I played it all of 20 rounds before giving up on it.

But now after a year of not using it and learning some skills... it's pretty rad. I just play it like a medium.

e: nevermind I hate it again after 5 battles.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 29, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

moolchaba posted:

My first t10 heavy was T110E5. I played it all of 20 rounds before giving up on it.

But now after a year of not using it and learning some skills... it's pretty rad. I just play it like a medium.

e: nevermind I hate it again after 5 battles.

You missed out, it was kind of busted for a few months when the cupola wasn't a weak spot and the armor behind the front wheel was like a 280mm plate.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Installed the game, got my T502 and bought a BatChat and a Obj263 for the credits. Then logged out. Mission successful

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cardiac posted:

bought a BatChat and a Obj263 for the credits.

Bought with the credits, or is there a money making scheme that I'm not aware of?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Bought with the credits, or is there a money making scheme that I'm not aware of?

I am not telling quitters about that secret scheme.
phone poasting so your version

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

2Jets posted:

I think the Improved vents are the best. Improved optics adds an extra 2.5% spotting rang. In a brawling medium I would rather have the better traverse, dispersion, aim time, dpm, ect that you get from the vents.

I ran the T-54 with optics but I got all my assistance damage from tracking things, I'm switching to vents and the more accurate gun because even with 330 heat pen you still have to hit weak spots on the new tanks they keep putting out.

Vents (and BIA) aren't as effective as you'd expect because of how crew skills work. A crewman's effective rating is the average of his current rating plus 100. A 100% driver functions at 100% of the nominal rating in terms of acceleration, turning, etc. (100+100 / 2). A 50% driver only has 75% proficiency (50+100 / 2) and a 105% crewman, i.e. 100% with vents or BiA, is only 102.5% as effective as the nominal rating would suggest. This is intentional, and is the way WG deals with dead crew members; a dead loader means you reload at half-speed (0+100 / 2) because otherwise dead crew would basically cripple your tank for the rest of the battle (which was more relevant with single-use consumables.)

So when we say that vents are only useful if there's nothing better that you can equip, this is why. You should really use the in-game numbers to see just how nearly useless vents can be: mount them and mouse-over the relevant stats on the right side of the garage, and the game will tell you what bonus you're getting from vents, rammer, etc. Getting an extra 0.1 second off your reload time isn't worth the cost of vents (especially level 3, and at full price) unless there's nothing better. Autoloaders for example generally can't mount rammers so vents can be an OK fourth choice.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It is a smaller increase but it is a small increase to every single thing your tank does which does add up. I would never trade a rammer or stabilizer for vents but replacing optics with vents is valid on plenty of vehicles unless you are a supreme view range sperg. If you are already blind gently caress it use vents.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
View range is so god drat important though, I'd probably rather have optics than vents on any tank. I'm not a game mechanics expert at all but even going over 445 to negate camo is still better than vents.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

View range is very important, but on tanks like the Defender, where your view range is significantly lower than the average for the tier, optics aren't going to do enough to make up for it, so you're better off running vents and sticking to pushing lanes and accepting the fact that your lovely view range is going to cost you a few wins.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbex_EZJq4

LMAO

Rips Skorpion. Your reign at the top of tier 8 td's is over.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Guess who couldn't stay away. I got out for like a loving year and now here I am again.

Also somehow I think I became BETTER at tanks by taking a break? I feel more competent anyway. But that's entirely relative...

Also they buffed my poor Super Persh while I was gone and now it's everything I wanted it to be back when I got it, rather than completely crippled frontally.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

McGavin posted:

View range is very important, but on tanks like the Defender, where your view range is significantly lower than the average for the tier, optics aren't going to do enough to make up for it, so you're better off running vents and sticking to pushing lanes and accepting the fact that your lovely view range is going to cost you a few wins.

You can get the view range to 412 with optics/BIA/situational awareness/recon (430 with food). I'd say vents are probably a better choice most of the time but having view range when you're trying to carry your poo poo team and spot those boosh kemping TDs at the end of the game is nice too.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Spot with your face imo

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is Frontline back yet?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ROFLburger posted:

Is Frontline back yet?

lol of course not

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
View range is important but the times when view range matter are discrete enough that an extra 2% is nothing. For example spotting heavy tanks getting to a position verse spotting a camping TD. Either you can out spot them or you can't.

I really don't think any of the bond equipment is worth much, but we really don't have many choices when it comes to spending them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just haven't bothered. Remember that bond equipment can only be dismounted with more bonds. Which is stupid imo.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

It is a smaller increase but it is a small increase to every single thing your tank does which does add up. I would never trade a rammer or stabilizer for vents but replacing optics with vents is valid on plenty of vehicles unless you are a supreme view range sperg. If you are already blind gently caress it use vents.

A small increase to a bunch of stats is certainly not bad, but it's not more useful than some other dedicated piece of equipment should there be an option, and boosting view range is almost always a better option. The bonuses from vents/BiA are so tiny as to be superfluous, and you're better off min/maxing to boost the things that are actually important. Also, a bunch of different bonuses don't "add up;" that's not how math works. You could say BiA + vents + rammer + food all add up to boost reload speed, but you can't just add a bunch of different variables with different dimensions.

ROFLburger posted:

Is Frontline back yet?

I played a couple of grand battles before turning them off and realizing just how superior Frontline was for tier 8. Thanks, Wargaming!

2Jets posted:

View range is important but the times when view range matter are discrete enough that an extra 2% is nothing. For example spotting heavy tanks getting to a position verse spotting a camping TD. Either you can out spot them or you can't.

I really don't think any of the bond equipment is worth much, but we really don't have many choices when it comes to spending them.

Tiny boosts to view range are probably pretty inconsequential like you've said, but this is another area where you can add the two crew skills, equipment, and maybe food to get a more substantial bonus - but this just exposes how weak the crew skill system in particular is.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just got a survey in game.

First, they ask what your favorite class of tank to play.
Then ask about your preference in building density on maps.

They also ask you to pick your favorite and least favorite maps to play, then ask for reasons why they are your favorite and least favorite. This takes up most of the survey.
And then they want you to specify your age.

lol

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 29, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MariusLecter posted:

Just got a survey in game.

First, they ask what your favorite class of tank to play.
Then ask about your preference in building density on maps.

They also ask you to pick your favorite and least favorite maps to play, then ask for reasons why they are your favorite and least favorite. This takes up most of the survey.
And then they want you to specify your age.

lol

I wonder if the maps they suggest to you are different depending on the tank class you pick as your favourite. Because for instance a light tank on Minsk is literally hellish to play, but Prok is lovely and Murovanka is in the middle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

serious gaylord posted:

I wonder if the maps they suggest to you are different depending on the tank class you pick as your favourite. Because for instance a light tank on Minsk is literally hellish to play, but Prok is lovely and Murovanka is in the middle.

I chose medium tanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MariusLecter posted:

I chose medium tanks.

Was there anyway for you to say 'all maps are awful if artillery exist?'

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

serious gaylord posted:

Was there anyway for you to say 'all maps are awful if artillery exist?'

Yes. They let you fill out an open ended "Why do you like this kind of map the most/least?"

Ruinberg was my least favorite, "City and the town outskirts play virtually the same. The only saving grace is artillery cover among the buildings."
Prokhorovka was my most liked kind of map, "Many places to go for different tank classes to play a role. But virtually zero artillery cover."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I wound up with Minsk liked most and Lakeville liked least. Minsk might just be the fact that it's a new map to me, coming back after a long absence, but I feel like it's got a lot of possibilities. There's the urban corridors on the left and right sides, the big berm in the center right, all the hills and dips in the big park... it's fun to play around in.

Lakeville, on the other hand... it just needs a complete rethinking and it has for a real long time. Having the whole center of the map be water exists on other maps, like Murovanka and Live Oaks, and at times it works on those. Lakeville all it does is channel the combat into two corridors (suicide road doesn't count). Flanking is impossible, so light and medium tanks just get screwed.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I haven't played the new Highway enough to determine if it's still the worst map in the game but probably. If not that, I'd go with Paris.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry posted:

I haven't played the new Highway enough to determine if it's still the worst map in the game but probably. If not that, I'd go with Paris.

Minsk is one of those maps that if you're in the right tank its decent, the wrong tank its loving awful. See also: Himmelsdorf, Tundra and new Highway.

Glacier is the worst map in the game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Glacier is the worst map in the game.

You're wrong. It's Ensk.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

McGavin posted:

You're wrong. It's Ensk.

Ensk is over and done with inside 4 minutes. Glacier can regularly go on for 10 plus.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

y u hate arty

yeah might buy myself that russian Skorp for xmas, plan on playing drunk for like 2 weeks, they going to sell those xmas boxes again aren't they

oh yeah I logged in and got my free tank and played it once, it's a better MT-25 I think

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nice

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

A small increase to a bunch of stats is certainly not bad, but it's not more useful than some other dedicated piece of equipment should there be an option, and boosting view range is almost always a better option. The bonuses from vents/BiA are so tiny as to be superfluous, and you're better off min/maxing to boost the things that are actually important. Also, a bunch of different bonuses don't "add up;" that's not how math works. You could say BiA + vents + rammer + food all add up to boost reload speed, but you can't just add a bunch of different variables with different dimensions.

What other dedicate piece of equipment are you going to use besides optics?

And yes actually adding a bunch of tiny bonuses together is valid. You can say vents is trash, BIA even food is trash on an individual level, but when you look at the total cumulative value provided when you have these things it is definitely extremely significant. This is poo poo that has a real value in the garage so I don't see how you can say you can't add these things together.

Ugh not even playing this lovely game right now why am I arguing about lovely vents.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finally decided to use those free credits I got and also recruit some of the female tankers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:discourse:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Alright I'm back!

I got my T-50-2, played a few games and then uninstalled. Mission accomplished.

The game looks so good now, its really striking. The downside is, they haven't fixed poo poo about anything else. 6th Sense still isn't baseline and still has the delay.
Firing a gun is still a fun mystery in what will happen regardless of tank movement. I snap shot a chinese light with my KV-2 while both of us were moving and one shot him. Later on I had a circle enclose 80% of a enemy tank the and the shot dove into the dirt.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

What other dedicate piece of equipment are you going to use besides optics?

And yes actually adding a bunch of tiny bonuses together is valid. You can say vents is trash, BIA even food is trash on an individual level, but when you look at the total cumulative value provided when you have these things it is definitely extremely significant. This is poo poo that has a real value in the garage so I don't see how you can say you can't add these things together.

Ugh not even playing this lovely game right now why am I arguing about lovely vents.

Rammer on everything, Vstab on everything that can fit it; that's 2/3 right there. Optics would usually be third. For a stealthy TD, rammer, camo net, binocs. No Vstab? Maybe eGLD. Possibly a wet rack where appropriate.

For most tanks 2 of 3 pieces of equipment are basically mandatory, and usually there are at least 3 viable choices for any given vehicle. Vents are rarely in the top 3, except maybe for edge cases like autoloaders that can't use a rammer, or arty where most equipment isn't necessary.

This is all more of an indictment of the terrible module/equipment/skill system in this game than it is an argument over the "best" components to use.

When I say you can't add different bonuses together, that's referring to the fact that not all of them are useful to every tank. For example, a ~2.5% boost to the Maus's mobility isn't going to change the fact that it's still going to be a huge slow shitbrick; the boost to reload and aim time however is useful. The point is that boosting everything doesn't mean all of those boosted stats are meaningfully impacted.

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000
n/m :)

Pump-Action Gerbil fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 30, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Forget this, the windowlickers are out in full-force because FrEe TaNk!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Forget this, the windowlickers are out in full-force because FrEe TaNk!!

And x5 xp