Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endorph posted:

counterpoint: miyazaki is an abusive father and has made one and a half good movies in his entire life. for real though his view of what 'acceptable' animation is is really narrow and he seems to get disdainful towards anything that couldn't pass for a major disney release. obviously anime getting overly self-obsessed, as an industry, is bad, but there's a difference between that and just having a sincere love and respect for what came before you. and again, miyazaki of all people talking about 'interested only in themselves' and 'humans who can't stand looking at other humans', chidingly, is moronic.
Agreedo. Miyazaki has insanely narrow preferences and an almost as narrow skill set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Auteurs are for chumps IMO

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That mcdonald pic is extremely pertinent in this episode. Also Tae is still the best

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm beginning to wonder if the cgi was actually supposed to be a representation of their initial awkwardness. I was skeptical when people were saying it but it hasn't been present for the songs of the last two episodes, and the last time it appeared it was way more dynamic than before.

I have many favorites in this show. Lily is my favorite character, Saki is my favorite personality, Junko is my favorite singer, Sakura is my favorite dweeb, Ai is my favorite idol, Yugiri is my favorite big sister, Tae is my favorite zombie, Romero is my favorite zombdog, Kotaro is my favorite weirdo, and Tori is my favorite bird.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably deliberate. That a show is willing to go to that length to show how much their main cast has grown is rad as heck.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
You know this is a good episode cause Policeman A appears in it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i love these stupid zombies

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saki is best girl and my big dumb zombie biker daughter, please love her a lot

Looking forward to what looks like Yugiri's ep next week.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We as a species do not deserve a girl as pure and good as Saki.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode owns bones, Saki #1 in my heart. Keep riding forever.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
blatant horniness can be both horny and comical because a boob size joke can make me think both "haha, boobs" and "boobs...................................... nice"

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

A sukeban episode is very much my jam. Saki is the best.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 30, 2018

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Saki has always been the best, and she continued to grow more powerful with each episode.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I also really liked the ending song. It was a fun bop.

Biker Junko has a strong energy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Of course Saki didn't die in a car crash, what did I expect, its Saki, she just straight up voluntarily drove off a cliff. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1068212457141727232?s=19

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Yeah, at this Point I'm convinced they use "bad/awkward CGI" to visually communicate that these idols are bad/awkward. There was even a significant difference between Saga Rock and the guerilla performance.
Meanwhile, whenever people are in their element or doing something that comes natural to them, like the rap, the crew doing death metal, Lilys song, Sakis song and even Iron Frills performance at Saga Rock, it's just regular animation.

I don't expect anyone to give it a pass on being bad even if this should turn out to be the case, but it would be a neat gimmick. Maybe we'll get a fully animated Awaken Returner during the climax or something.

Also, Saki still the best. Too much guts to live.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I really want the joke of Tae, who is voiced by legendary meatball head Sailor Moon, thinking a girl's hair buns are food to be an intentional reference.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Tae kind of spoke this episode, too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae was capable of lying this episode, she's basically at a toddler at this level

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

a kitten posted:

Pictures of Lily being amazing

The loving rainbow lmao. It wasn't subtle before but I'm just laughing now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She's a good girl

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This episode owned. Saki basically climbed her way out of hell to defeat her enemies and reunite her best friend with her daughter. Metal as gently caress.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Saki is best girl.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tae's Sukeban outfit was spot on during the performance

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that Kotaro basically stole Kishidan's One Night Carnival for Saki's song.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh drat, Adabana Necromancy is totally available on itunes in the US.

Meanwhile, on my usual music store...

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If episode 3 wasn't such a letdown I think this could be anime of the year for me, maybe even anyway with the way the past two episodes have been. Also, I am of the opinion that the CG was not done bad on purpose but don't have anything to back it up really.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all you need as backup are faith and sincerity, unlike the heathens who think they would for some reason invest in a cg pipeline for meta reasons instead of just production considerations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the studio that did the cg put out work that was about the same as their usual quality so i really cant imagine it being some kind of intentionally bad thing because imagine doing that while telling the cg company to make what they usually did, thatd be insanely hosed up

and also the reason a lot of longrunning idol shows use cg is that the models can be reused. cg is actually more expensive if you're just using it like animation, the ways it saves money is if you have the same models on slightly different animation cycles or w/e, so using it for only two episodes would be a really expensive choice

the more likely reasoning is that they realized the cg didnt fit their vision but they'd already had it made so couldn't just burn that money, so they had the latter eps use 2d with less movement instead of cg with more movement

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think it was done bad on purpose but they probably didn't care for it a whole lot. If their intent was to use the models like 2-3 times only then they would probably be better off just animating the scenes by hand. Then you factor in what is said in the anime and that the producers are a video game company capable of pushing out far better looking things then it all leads me to believe that it wasn't a priority.

That being said ZLS seems to be popular enough so far, so the possibility of extra seasons exists. Who knows, maybe next season they'll have smoother CGI sequences if their intent is to continue the SAGA perpetually

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 30, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd honestly be fine with this just being a 12-off. It's a cute premise and I like the characters but I don't think this could sustain any kind of huge franchise.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Spinoff but with male idols is the next step clearly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

I'd honestly be fine with this just being a 12-off. It's a cute premise and I like the characters but I don't think this could sustain any kind of huge franchise.

There's a lot of questions yet to be answered and I think they're gonna try and rush it in the last two episodes. This definitely can't go for more than one season, so let's hope they knock the last few eps out of the park.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Do we know that its 12 episodes and not 13?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
8 Bit cover. I love the Megaman sprites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-vPsls-Kg

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe how good this is. Tied with Gridman for show I look forward to the most each week.

Lily punching was the best. :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here's something easily missed: Yuugiri's pressure point thing on Junko's forehead makes an impression that doesn't go back to normal. :v:

edit: Personally, I feel like we need like at least half again of this episode. I wanted to see Saki's friend react a bit more to Saki showing up out of nowhere!!! I want more of these goobers!!!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine given how much of hit this is shaping up to be we'll at least get a Granblue event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

There were quite a few things I liked about this episode: the scooter girls, their "intimidating" strut, the producer turning into road trip dad, the metalheads happy about the new weirdos at the show.

And then we have Saki. Ai is scared of thunder and lightning, Lily is terrified of puberty, Junko hates flying, and then there's Saki, who revisits the scene of her death and then asks to borrow a bike to do it again.

a kitten posted:

Oh drat, Adabana Necromancy is totally available on itunes in the US.

Thanks for the heads up on this, that's great!