Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kafouille posted:

It's probably feasible at short ranges with a modern tungsten penetator design on 7.62x51 but the round unit cost would be substantial. You'd need high velocity so a lightweight bullet body in something like aluminum and a substantial tungsten core with a decently large width/length ratio. Long range on the other hand would be seriously tricky.

Don't you run the problem of that kind of round overpenetrating the gently caress out of a standard model human? Or does kinetic energy do the job?

EDIT: loving page sniped with an APFSDS 5.56

EDIT 2: Make it out of DU

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yeah that kinda round would probably shed the Al jacket in an unarmored human and then keep on trucking, but probably not penetrate too much beyond that as the core alone would not be stable anymore and would keyhole.

I'm fairly skeptical on rifle scale discarding sabot, the manufacturing issues making a fairly complex part that tiny precise enough to be reasonably accurate and still suitable for the kind of volume production general issue ammo would need is very much not solved. It's not like you can strap each individual round in it's own tiny CNC mill when you are working at that kind of scale.

Edit : DU and Tungsten are fairly interchangeable in penetrator design, you don't care about pyrophoric effects for this so all it would do is make media stories about the Military shooting cancer bullets at people.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Anything going through level 4 plates in 7.62x51 would be absolutely awful against the flesh behind it. It would need a tiny profile and also be incredibly durable - so it's gonna zip right through without deforming much or at best shatter or tumble while passing through and basically throw little splinters into them. But you MIGHT be able to get through the plate!

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
That's true on some level of pretty much every AP round tho.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

all of these problems can be solved with lasers :hellyeah:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So what I'm hearing is "look forward to Russia announcing a general issue phased plasma pulse rifles by 2020".

Based on their plasma stealth technology.

Stealth in the sense that no-one's ever seen it, but RT say it exists and they certainly wouldn't lie about a thing like that.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Phanatic posted:

I'm not sure what you're going to put into a rifle-size package that can reliably penetrate Level 4. Maybe SLAP would do it, I dunno.

What's rifle-sized? 50 BMG? Javelin missile? You can hit pretty hard with something that can be toted around by one guy.

But at any rate, I wouldn't expect the last couple centuries of "armor" playing catch-up to "things that poke holes in armor" to reverse any time soon.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Just train your guys to aim for the nuts.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can't just shoot a dude in the nuts.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Got you fam

https://www.armorednutshellz.com/

EDIT : Also I took a look at that InRange video, and turns out they are talking about Russian GOST level 4 (Rated for 5.45x39mm AP at point blank), not US NIJ level 4. That's a bit above NIJ level 3, so it turns out it did exactly what it was supposed to do, shocker.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 30, 2018

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Hilarious, but that level 3 product is stupid. The purpose of the hanging Kevlar flap is to protect the femoral arteries. Their product provides a higher level of protection to a less important area.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mllaneza posted:

https://vimeo.com/86014703 (so many rubber dicks)

Blistex fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 1, 2018

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mllaneza posted:

Yeah it’s a war crime so that’s why you aim for the belt buckle.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

all is fair in love and in war

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

brakeless posted:

all is fair in love and in war
Sure, but nut shots are extremely poor sportsmanship in both.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sure, but nut shots are extremely poor sportsmanship in both.

Don't kinkshame.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/11/29/b-52-squadron-commander-fired-over-penis-drawings-bomber-cockpits.html no dicks allowed

https://twitter.com/oriana0214/status/1068568857915285504?s=21

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 30, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:stare:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Don’t kinkshame.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Honestly, I'd have been surprised if 5.56 anything was going through an NIJ level 4 plate. That stuff is supposed to stop 30-06 M2 AP.

You might be able to do it with some modern hotloaded .308 AP. Maybe.

Someone in the video comments pointed out that it's not NIJ level 4 but some kind of Russian classification level where 4 is roughly equivalent to NIJ level 3. I think the standard was to stop a 56 grain steel-cored 5.45x39 bullet at 2950 ft/s at 5 metres.

So still no surprise it didn't penetrate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What if you have an anti-materiel rifle and the dude is wearing a cup

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I was waiting until I got out of work to post that:argh:

You might want to :nws: and possibly :nms: that link though.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

I'm sorry, is this news?

Who the gently caress cares?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm sorry, is this news?

It's pretty funny that the USAF is firing people for dick art, one of the human constants of military service since the first ape picked up a rock, and still wondering why it has such retention problems.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I'm sorry, is this news?

The military.

On the one handed, can seem heavy-handed. On the other, it is so incredibly easy for a bunch of officers and their commander to NOT use government systems to make dick joke deployment videos.

Joe scrawling a dick joke in a portapotty is different from a command collectively making a dick humor video.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It also gets to be a problem when you take female members of the military into account. Sometimes they do overboard with scrubbing off WW2 pinup art etc but there are really good reasons to not want the military to be a giant frat house.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also gets to be a problem when you take female members of the military into account. Sometimes they do overboard with scrubbing off WW2 pinup art etc but there are really good reasons to not want the military to be a giant frat house.

C.f. the Canadian Forces

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also forcing units to find something funnier than "heh... hehehe... penis... hehehe" is a way of building creativity in our military services.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but I think that people who are expected to learn to deal with combat could probably also learn to deal with a little potty humor. And yeah, it's not terribly mature, I agree, but again--why on earth is this a fireable offense? There's something in between "relieving a commander" and "doing nothing", if (and I am not conceding this) you actually think it's a real problem.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

there is a difference between drawing dicks in the portashitter and drawing a dick on your helmet and this colonel was too loving stupid to know the difference.

#1 rule in the military is don't get caught

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It turns out the KA-52 is more dangerous than it looks!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Yeah, but I think that people who are expected to learn to deal with combat could probably also learn to deal with a little potty humor. And yeah, it's not terribly mature, I agree, but again--why on earth is this a fireable offense? There's something in between "relieving a commander" and "doing nothing", if (and I am not conceding this) you actually think it's a real problem.

It goes to good order and discipline. A Commander has to set an example and he showed poor judgement on his end. If nothing else a leader should have the self-awareness to know what is an isn't appropriate at the time and in the current climate. See also why I had to sit through collective racial sensitivity training because some moron thought it appropriate to state that Ferguson, MO should be ethnically cleansed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Additionally, while plenty of dumbass commanders have entertained unprofessional behavior/humor and nothing all that terrible has come of it, there are SO loving MANY examples of accidents or war-time failures where it turns out a commander or someone else in a position of authority thought the rules didn't apply to them, or they could ignore misbehavior, and it was tolerated because of the esteem others had for the leader, and then whoops people died or a plane was lost or a bunch of war crimes happened or whatever.

Yeah, but I think that people who are expected to learn to deal with combat could probably also learn to deal with a little potty humor.

The tired, extremely dumb excuse of "you have to be tough enough to deal with combat" to excuse bad behavior is a tired, extremely dumb excuse.

"Why, a man having his face shot off is more horrific than hearing the N-word ten times a day!" Yes, I'm using a more extreme example, but that's only to illustrate that it's dumb logic, and someone will always push that boundary in the wrong direction as long as you use "combat is hard" as an excuse for unprofessional behavior and breaking regulations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Cynically, the reason for firing vs. some other kind of punishment is that "pour encourager les autres" is the quick and easy way of changing behavior even if it's not the best.

tbh I'm not sympathetic to the idea that the military involving combat means that there shouldn't be the barest amount of professionalism, which would cover not drawing dicks on your helmet. This isn't the PC police either, there was never a time where you could draw dicks on things in an office environment.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 1, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I think it's pretty harmless and hilarious but once it went public there was no way someone wasn't getting fired.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I’ve seen a flying squadron commander & director of operations fired on the same day by the group commander for less. Professionalism is important.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jonny Nox posted:

C.f. the Canadian Forces

Now it's just the mounties!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

standard.deviant posted:

I’ve seen a flying squadron commander & director of operations fired on the same day by the group commander for less. The appearance of professionalism is important.

Here you go.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

George HW Bush, last POTUS of the Cold War, has passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
More importantly, he was a Naval Aviator.