Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Buster Scruggs made me bust and tug (In that order. That's how good it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Teenage Fansub posted:

Buster Scruggs made me bust and tug (In that order. That's how good it is)

I normally do it the other way around

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What are some examples of films that deliberately go without intelligible dialogue? Not montage work like the Qatsi films, but stuff more like the workprint of The Dark Crystal where there's characters and some sort of narrative, but dialogue is obfuscated.

Someone mentionedThe Triplets of Belleville, which reminded me of The Illusionist (2010).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've got a very specific plot question about Blood Simple. So hopefully one of you knows it really well or has seen it recently. Why does Marty (Dan Hedaya's character) secretly take the photo from the envelope and put it in the safe before giving the envelope back to M. Emmett Walsh? What was he planning to do with it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are there any sci-fi firefighting movies? I don't mean like Fahrenheit 451, I mean actual firefighting. But in the future or with robots or something.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A question I'm passing along here:

quote:

We are trying to find a reference in a film for a visual effect that shows one person splitting into two, a la the way a cell splits and eventually separates into a clone of itself.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a film/scene that demonstrates this? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxetRsd_2c

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Perhaps this is the opposite of what you're looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKum_Xj15Po

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayfTf9l1jO0

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This scene in reverse
https://youtu.be/D01mdGW9-Zg

The david duchovny Evolution movie also had a big alien that was splitting like a cell, but i didnt see a great clip for it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58lRIVHhGc&t=37s very frightening but sophisticated example.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7mqpGNx8FI&t=25s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Jack Jack in the Incredibles 2?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are there any sci-fi movies slated to come out next year (or even at the end of this one) that might be, um, good? Usually there's at least one or two "thinking man's" science fiction films that still come out per year, recent examples being Arrival and Annihilation.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any sci-fi movies slated to come out next year (or even at the end of this one) that might be, um, good? Usually there's at least one or two "thinking man's" science fiction films that still come out per year, recent examples being Arrival and Annihilation.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Prospect should come out on streaming next year, that looks good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Battle Angel Alita has potential to be good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When they screened the Battle Angel trailer before Last Jedi, the audience I was in laughed out loud at it. I’m not convinced that was the reaction they were hoping for.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Battle Angel looked interesting but I can't get past the anime eyes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is Mortal Engines going to be good or bad?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

When they screened the Battle Angel trailer before Last Jedi, the audience I was in laughed out loud at it. I’m not convinced that was the reaction they were hoping for.

I hadn't even heard of it until now and I also laughed when I just looked the trailer up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don't actually know of any but it's sad times for good sci fi. At least the few good ones we've had in the last few years have been like, really goddamn good.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

High Life looks like it could be great

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wasn't that cut from the actual film?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't that cut from the actual film?

Better: A bunch of those effects shots were literally produced solely for the trailer and were never part of the actual movie at any point.

Smart use of your effects budget there, Panzer / Davis.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Is there a thread for First Reformed? Because I’ve got some loving questions about that film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

areyoucontagious posted:

Is there a thread for First Reformed? Because I’ve got some loving questions about that film.

Sadly no, so ask away.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Origami Dali posted:

Sadly no, so ask away.

Wait, I'm confused about the movie. So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

I kid, I don't have any First Reformed questions but I just watched it recently and enjoyed it a lot and would enjoy reading other people asking questions about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else sometimes avoid watching movies they know they'd love in favor of garbage for no apparent reason? I don't know why I do this. I've got all these movies that are critically acclaimed, recommended by friends, etc. that I know I'll enjoy, and I'm always "saving them for later" but the second The Meg hits streaming rental I'm slamming down on the play button. I'm worried I might be an idiot.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Congrats, you have something in common with Dickeye

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else sometimes avoid watching movies they know they'd love in favor of garbage for no apparent reason? I don't know why I do this. I've got all these movies that are critically acclaimed, recommended by friends, etc. that I know I'll enjoy, and I'm always "saving them for later" but the second The Meg hits streaming rental I'm slamming down on the play button. I'm worried I might be an idiot.

Happens to me too
Fear that it wont live up to expectations or will be more serious instead of relaxing fun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

I do that too sometimes. I think I subconsciously worry that it won't live up to my expectations, or I'll be in the wrong mood to watch it and gently caress it up, or something. I put off watching Upstream Colour for a long time.

It turned out that Upstream Colour is amazing, btw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was watching Upstream Color a few years back with my mom. I was really enjoying it but she fell asleep and I turned it off to finish it later. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I probably should.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There'll be something on Netflix I want to watch, but I think "I don't want to sit here for two hours,I'll watch a tv show instead," then spend 3-4 hours binging the show.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
It was a great weird movie. Specifically about the ending

Him making out with Mary (hell of an allegory, which I think factors into my interpretation) represents his return to hope, correct? He’s always maintained a relationship with God, although maybe a broken one- but the enthusiasm for which he goes to her seems to me to be both hopeful and indicative of his return to God as well.

I though the environmental message juxtaposed with its ontological consequences was amazing.

Also the barb wire and draino bit- why did he switch from holy destruction of evil to flagellation so quickly? I mean, I get the why, but why turn to self destruction? Just because of Michaels example?

Somebody should make a thread, because that movie was good and merits some discussion.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 30, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

A lot of my queue ends up being movies I wish I had seen, but not necessarily movies I want to watch, if that makes sense. I end up watching way too much garbage instead when I know I'll end up being disappointed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

First Reformed

I was really sad that he didn't blow up the evil people

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Does Wim Wenders have the reputation of being a creep? Two of the first three movies of his I watched have nudity from very young girls. Or is that just a "Europe in the 70's" thing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Europe in the 70's, pretty much.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Are there any movies that take place in the early middles ages (500-1000 ad)?

The only one I can think of is The 13th Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
whichever king arthur is least bad lol