Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

("I used to make $5 an hour, and I never had debt!" Yeah, that was in the 70's, hon)

holy gently caress adjusted for inflation that's $23/hr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I made 5.15 at my first job in 98. I left that job at 10. My last kitchen job a few years ago I left at 11.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hmm, lesbian Trump supporter. Is she a TERF (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist for those who don't know the acronym)? Legit question, but the way you describe her makes it seem, sorta likely. Or if not full TERF, she still probably wouldn't like me. Hah.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hmm, lesbian Trump supporter. Is she a TERF (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist for those who don't know the acronym)? Legit question, but the way you describe her makes it seem, sorta likely. Or if not full TERF, she still probably wouldn't like me. Hah.

I'm not sure if this makes her better or worse than a TERF, but she's not even a feminist, I don't think. Back in January we had a big Women's March in our fair city. My husband went with some friends to show his solidarity, but I didn't ask for that morning off because it was a Saturday, and I was still fairly new there. When I mentioned in passing that he was going and wished I could, she snorted "is he a feminist?" I replied "well, he's not super politically active or anything, but he stands by womens' rights." She made a face and shook her head.

And yeah, once there was something being discussed on the radio about trans people, and she loudly declared that these people were crazy, whatever parts you were born with, that's what you are, or something to that effect. So you guessed correctly!

She also gleefully talks about being pro Chik-fil-a, how she and her girlfriend went there when everyone pro LGBT was making a deal of boycotting them. She was raised ultra Catholic in the 60's, went to school with nuns and the whole nine yards, so I smell a whole lot of internalized homophobia and self-loathing. When you factor that in, it's more sad than anything.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So how do I explain to my boss I need more labor hours? We are at the point where things arnt getting cleaned well enough and food prep is going down. I cant run any specials because I dont have the time to prep anything.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

ApolloSuna posted:

So how do I explain to my boss I need more labor hours? We are at the point where things arnt getting cleaned well enough and food prep is going down. I cant run any specials because I dont have the time to prep anything.

Approach it from a cost savings perspective.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ApolloSuna posted:

How hard are your people working? Do you need more labor hours, or do you need people who are actually working while on the clock? I never advocate for letting people go except when necessary, but it's important to understand whether your existing employees might need some encouragement/coaching/training.

I guess the best way to think about it is this - has business improved (or changed) enough that your people are simply overworked? If so, then more labor hours are absolutely justified. If business has not improved noticeably, but you're missing out on prep/cleaning, where are those hours going now?

Edit: The more straightforward way to put this to your boss is to ask about how labor cost has changed over X period of time.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Kosani posted:

Approach it from a cost savings perspective.

Always always this. If you can save a restaurant owner some money they're gonna be way more open to your suggestions.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I run a homeless/recovery kitchen where we employ residents. So yeah the poo poo we let em get away with would be write ups in other kitchens but its kind of training people how to be functional adults again. Ive definitely upped the sales a lot but we have hit a point where they are stagnet. We can do a lot more but when your boss is like "god will provide" it runs into a stalemate. I guess I just dont have any solid way of showing how we will make more money but I know we cant push out more business without poo poo going downhill. I have an idea of how to switch around the labor a bit to get things going but its like just gimmie 2 months to make things happen.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

God will provide, through you. It's like that christians in a flood joke. "What do you mean I didn't answer your prayers? I sent three boats and a helicopter!"

Shabadu posted:

how dare you sully the name of yan can cook

most of the 80s and 90s tv chefs rule for that matter

I always exercise my chickens.

Shame Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) turned out to be a sex pest. I remember watching him a bunch on PBS growing up. Him, Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

How hard are your people working? Do you need more labor hours, or do you need people who are actually working while on the clock? I never advocate for letting people go except when necessary, but it's important to understand whether your existing employees might need some encouragement/coaching/training.

I guess the best way to think about it is this - has business improved (or changed) enough that your people are simply overworked? If so, then more labor hours are absolutely justified. If business has not improved noticeably, but you're missing out on prep/cleaning, where are those hours going now?

Edit: The more straightforward way to put this to your boss is to ask about how labor cost has changed over X period of time.

I'm with this poster. I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to kitchen costs, but we have two cooks who are freakin' Johnny On The Spot when it comes to prep, as in, they will come up to me if I'm shift lead and beg for stuff to do. Then I got a few noodleheads who I have to beat with a stick to do something as simple as crack eggs or pulling cheese.

We're better off paying 2 decent people to knock out all the prep than putting on 4 people who dick around on their phones or can't fathom that you can actually talk and work at the same time.

Also, (and I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious that you've already thought of), look into any way you can streamline your prep. We used to cut and grind whole pork butt for sausage, until the owner figured out that it cost way less to get pre-ground butt than to pay 5 people to stand there sawing away at 15 lb butts for hours on end. I'm all about trying to do everything from scratch, for freshness and quality, but sometimes you gotta cut corners. No one's complained about our sausage since we switched, we still season it the same way, but Monday's are no longer "have 6 people on the schedule just to cut meat" days. (And thank god, that poo poo made my hand arthritis flare up like a motherfucker)

Fake edit: just saw your reply as I was previewing my post. "God will provide", lol. Maybe that's what my owner is thinking when he's scratching his head over why we get zero traffic since we started doing lunch, and I've suggested numerous times to just get a $40 banner made by Vistaprint to put outside that says "HEY YOU FUCKERS, WE'RE OPEN FOR LUNCH NOW" (okay, not the exact wording)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm with this poster. I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to kitchen costs, but we have two cooks who are freakin' Johnny On The Spot when it comes to prep, as in, they will come up to me if I'm shift lead and beg for stuff to do.

At the risk of making callous assumptions - these are the people you bring wiht you to your next, better paying job. If your pay is crap, their pay is crap.
Everybody's understaffed, so keep the good apples like those close to hand.

Willie Tomg posted:

holy gently caress adjusted for inflation that's $23/hr

Just out of curiosity, where are you doing your inflation conversion? I've been trying to find one that's straight inflation, not CPI-based

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

At the risk of making callous assumptions - these are the people you bring wiht you to your next, better paying job. If your pay is crap, their pay is crap.
Everybody's understaffed, so keep the good apples like those close to hand.

Oh hell yeah, heard. The one cook, she's moving soon, and I've already told her she can use me as a reference. Can't speak highly enough about her. Hell of a cook and even though she's still recovering from a horrible car accident years ago where she broke like 24 bones in her body and had to learn how to walk again (she gets ALL the breaks she wants when it's my shift), she'll start deep cleaning under the prep tables or some poo poo if there's nothing else to do. Love her.

The other cook, he's new, but same way. Always "Ok, JD, what can I do now?" He gets antsy if I don't have a task for him. I want, like 3 clones of him, and 3 less clowns. I'm poaching the hell out of him when I leave.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Brute Squad posted:

Shame Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) turned out to be a sex pest. I remember watching him a bunch on PBS growing up. Him, Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin.

I watched them as well as Ming Tsai, Mario (now bad), David Rosengarten and Emeril.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ApolloSuna posted:

I run a homeless/recovery kitchen where we employ residents. So yeah the poo poo we let em get away with would be write ups in other kitchens but its kind of training people how to be functional adults again. Ive definitely upped the sales a lot but we have hit a point where they are stagnet. We can do a lot more but when your boss is like "god will provide" it runs into a stalemate. I guess I just dont have any solid way of showing how we will make more money but I know we cant push out more business without poo poo going downhill. I have an idea of how to switch around the labor a bit to get things going but its like just gimmie 2 months to make things happen.

I'm not sure how you expect to turn a profit and also teach disadvantaged people life skills, as those two things are typically mutually exclusive.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Brute Squad posted:

Shame Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) turned out to be a sex pest.

In high school I applied for a summer job at Burger King and when cooking as a hobby came up the guy who interviewed me bragged about how the Frugal Gourmet was his uncle or something. Being in high school my immediate response was "Didn't he molest a bunch of people?"
Needless to say I didn't get the job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Justin Wilson is my favorite all time.

https://youtu.be/8F4Ws_2XwdU

https://youtu.be/oScmodG_riM

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 28, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Jacques Pepin made me want to be a chef. Ultimately I didn’t go into the industry professionally but he started my love of food.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not sure if this makes her better or worse than a TERF, but she's not even a feminist, I don't think. Back in January we had a big Women's March in our fair city. My husband went with some friends to show his solidarity, but I didn't ask for that morning off because it was a Saturday, and I was still fairly new there. When I mentioned in passing that he was going and wished I could, she snorted "is he a feminist?" I replied "well, he's not super politically active or anything, but he stands by womens' rights." She made a face and shook her head.

And yeah, once there was something being discussed on the radio about trans people, and she loudly declared that these people were crazy, whatever parts you were born with, that's what you are, or something to that effect. So you guessed correctly!

She also gleefully talks about being pro Chik-fil-a, how she and her girlfriend went there when everyone pro LGBT was making a deal of boycotting them. She was raised ultra Catholic in the 60's, went to school with nuns and the whole nine yards, so I smell a whole lot of internalized homophobia and self-loathing. When you factor that in, it's more sad than anything.

Woo guessing correctly. My prize is leaving at 8pm tomorrow night, and having to be back at 5am the next day. Agreed that she sounds like a bitter lady.

So more best of luck on your job search dude. <3

e - since he's come up. Martin Yan is a nice guy, I met him twice when I was working for Giant Eagle (grocery chain based out of Pittsburgh.) Met Alton Brown once too, he was kind of a butt. But he could have been just busy from the sorta tour things.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 28, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Justin Wilson is my favorite all time.

First, you make a roux! (2:40 if it doesn't cue)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs&t=160s

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Woo guessing correctly. My prize is leaving at 8pm tomorrow night, and having to be back at 5am the next day. Agreed that she sounds like a bitter lady.

e - since he's come up. Martin Yan is a nice guy, I met him twice when I was working for Giant Eagle (grocery chain based out of Pittsburgh.) Met Alton Brown once too, he was kind of a butt. But he could have been just busy from the sorta tour things.

Is Martin Yan the same dude from "Wok With Yan"? I loved that show growing up. Same with Frugal Gourmet, but as has already been pointed out, that's... kind of a tainted memory now.

Also yins aren't saying it correctly, it's Giant Iggle (my step dad is from Pittsburgh, many childhood memories of going there to get chip-chop beef with my grandparents)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I'm with this poster. I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to kitchen costs, but we have two cooks who are freakin' Johnny On The Spot when it comes to prep, as in, they will come up to me if I'm shift lead and beg for stuff to do. Then I got a few noodleheads who I have to beat with a stick to do something as simple as crack eggs or pulling cheese.

We're better off paying 2 decent people to knock out all the prep than putting on 4 people who dick around on their phones or can't fathom that you can actually talk and work at the same time.

Also, (and I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious that you've already thought of), look into any way you can streamline your prep. We used to cut and grind whole pork butt for sausage, until the owner figured out that it cost way less to get pre-ground butt than to pay 5 people to stand there sawing away at 15 lb butts for hours on end. I'm all about trying to do everything from scratch, for freshness and quality, but sometimes you gotta cut corners. No one's complained about our sausage since we switched, we still season it the same way, but Monday's are no longer "have 6 people on the schedule just to cut meat" days. (And thank god, that poo poo made my hand arthritis flare up like a motherfucker)

Fake edit: just saw your reply as I was previewing my post. "God will provide", lol. Maybe that's what my owner is thinking when he's scratching his head over why we get zero traffic since we started doing lunch, and I've suggested numerous times to just get a $40 banner made by Vistaprint to put outside that says "HEY YOU FUCKERS, WE'RE OPEN FOR LUNCH NOW" (okay, not the exact wording)

Gotta admit, that banner would get me to come in for lunch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is Martin Yan the same dude from "Wok With Yan"? I loved that show growing up.

This is triggering me

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

This is triggering me

Whoops, my bad, that was Stephen Yan apparently! (C'mon, it's been like over 30 years and 3000 gallons of beer since I watched Wok With Yan, and I never watched Yan Can Cook, cut me a little slack)

Sorry! Interestingly enough, Wikipedia tells me that though unrelated, Martin did work for Stephen back in the 80s.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is Martin Yan the same dude from "Wok With Yan"? I loved that show growing up. Same with Frugal Gourmet, but as has already been pointed out, that's... kind of a tainted memory now.

Also yins aren't saying it correctly, it's Giant Iggle (my step dad is from Pittsburgh, many childhood memories of going there to get chip-chop beef with my grandparents)

Yan Can Cook was his show (e - as you found out.) My dad is from the area, I know my Pittsburghese tyvm. :colbert:
I lived on the North Side for three years for college at that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yan Can Cook was his show (e - as you found out.) My dad is from the area, I know my Pittsburghese tyvm. :colbert:
I lived on the North Side for three years for college at that.

I stand corrected, friend. What do you think of chip-chop? Did you have it with Heinz 57 sauce? It always seemed like an alien observed BBQ from a distance and tried to recreate it on his home planet.

Still better than when my rapidly-going-senile gramma tried to make chicken cordon bleu. It was raw in the center, and my mom was furtively trying to distract gramma, grab our plates, and stick them in the microwave so we wouldn't all starve/die. "JD, why don't you show gramma the picture you drew this morning?"

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So what can I do with a case of lemons and 2 cases of bannanas that are about to go bad?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ApolloSuna posted:

So what can I do with a case of lemons and 2 cases of bannanas that are about to go bad?
For the bananas make banana bread?

Lemons? Give to the bartender

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ApolloSuna posted:

Banana bread for the bananas, lemon preserves for the lemons. May have to run to a restaurant supply store or Walmart for canning jars, but that'll also open up a ton of other options for food in the future anyway.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I stand corrected, friend. What do you think of chip-chop? Did you have it with Heinz 57 sauce? It always seemed like an alien observed BBQ from a distance and tried to recreate it on his home planet.

Still better than when my rapidly-going-senile gramma tried to make chicken cordon bleu. It was raw in the center, and my mom was furtively trying to distract gramma, grab our plates, and stick them in the microwave so we wouldn't all starve/die. "JD, why don't you show gramma the picture you drew this morning?"

I know vaguely of chip-chop, and I do like Heinz 57, mostly as a condiment for my Waffle House hashbrowns. I have such a weird food upbringing, hah. But goddamn, that chicken.

ALSO! an update for yall. I have my first doctor appointment for HRT stuff in THREE! WEEKS! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ApolloSuna posted:

Just consulted with my husband, who used to be a pastry cook at that Army DFAC I worked for and had to deal with about-to-expire produce, particularly bananas, all the time. The Army loved to over order on produce.

Banana bread, muffins, and pudding were his go-to items when faced with a bunch of brown bananas in the walk in. We ran banana pancakes at my current job as a brunch special once which sold pretty well, and I seem to recall you saying your pancakes were a big seller, that might be an idea.

Lemons were a bit more of a head-scratcher for him. Again he suggested pudding (possibly for use in a custard pie) as well as lemon cookie bars, and some kind of lemon chicken stir-fry, which would probably keep well in steam tables if that's how your joint works.

Okay, he also just said "well he could juice all those lemons, stick 'em in ice cube trays, and freeze it, then he'll have lemon juice for flavoring or whatever whenever he needs it." Better than pitching them, that's for sure.

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.

ApolloSuna posted:

Moroccan preserved lemon. Last forever in jars, and are super useful for dressings and whatnot. Recipes abound online. Also super decent with pretty much any citrus that I've run across.

My predecessor left me with 5 or 6 jars of the stuff after overordering by a case or so. Pretty sure he put about 70/30 kosher salt/white sugar in them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Preserved lemons own

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lemons were a bit more of a head-scratcher for him. Again he suggested pudding (possibly for use in a custard pie) as well as lemon cookie bars, and some kind of lemon chicken stir-fry, which would probably keep well in steam tables if that's how your joint works.

I think my suggestion here is biscuits/scones and lemon curd. Something that isn't terribly difficult, yet is tasty. Good flaky biscuits aren't that hard to make and also freeze pretty great.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How do lemons ‘go bad?’

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
They get soft and mushy and start to grow mold

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

How do lemons ‘go bad?’

over time

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Lol, I was being facetious, I know how they go bad, but for real that takes fuckin forever.

E: you know your citrus room should be slightly cooled, yes? If you have whole cases of lemons going bad, that’s wild

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Lots of people blame the schools. I think it's really the current economy. They know there just aren't any real options, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lol, I was being facetious, I know how they go bad, but for real that takes fuckin forever.

E: you know your citrus room should be slightly cooled, yes? If you have whole cases of lemons going bad, that’s wild

It's actually a seasonal thing: if all your supplier can get is the tail end of last year's crop because this year's crop hasn't yet hit the supply chain in your part of the country, there's times when the only lemons available have been sitting in a warehouse for the better part of a year.

fake edit: or you get stuck with 165/200ct rather than 140ct which sucks if your purpose is fresh juice