Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mraagvpeine posted:

In order to get to South America, do you think they'll sail along the coast or sail directly there?

Well it's been 3000 years and the effects of irreversible anthropogenic climate change may have changed ocean currents?
Anyways Senku being the way he is is probably going to just great circle navigate his way to south America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm pretty sure turning literally every human on the planet to stone for 3000 years would be one of the few sure-fire ways to achieve negative carbon emission.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ZiegeDame posted:

I'm pretty sure turning literally every human on the planet to stone for 3000 years would be one of the few sure-fire ways to achieve negative carbon emission.

By some measures the damage is already done and theres nothing we can do except delay it by reducing emissions.
But my line of thought is more on the line that it's an interesting wrench to throw into senku's plans. He anticipates riding the transpacific currents and they just plain dont exist anymore, which leads him into being unsure of what the climate and geography will even be once they get to south America, as well as a little cautionary to remind everyone the costs of technology.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Realistically, following the coast is the far safer route because they can stop periodically to replenish supplies. Also it allows for side adventures in the Americas which would be better narratively than either skipping the entire voyage in a chapter or having x amount of chapters at sea. The only thing compelling them to just great circle sail across the ocean which is infinitely more dangerous would be a time limiter based on the expected operational time of the fridge.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Until you've built The Great Lighthouse or researched Mapmaking you have to stay within three tiles of the shore or risk getting lost at sea and destroyed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait how are they gonna plot a course across the ocean without an accurate map in the first place? Definitely coast hugging unless they just happen to find one preserved somewhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats crazy is that the taiwanese aborigines were the people who populated all the polynesian islands and they sailed as far as hawaii thousands of years ago

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Senku specifically asked the journalist to find a sea captain so that someone else can handle questions like "how do i boat". Given how everyone who gets de-petrified is also a master at their chosen craft it'll probably be someone who can just navigate by watching the stars or something.

On that note, the archer was an officer in a submarine, right? I wonder if he gets to be part of the ship's crew, someone who already has some form of sea-faring experience seems like an obvious character to focus on in a sea-faring arc.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's no way the crew isn't 'all the named characters thus far'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

there's no way the crew isn't 'all the named characters thus far'

frozen tsukasa strapped to the bow of the ship as a figurehead

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I like how the bat cave got buried. Now Senku has a limited number of people he can recruit. It really is Civilization: the manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are going to south america, so they have to leave the coasts at some point. there's the bering strait, but that has its own set of difficulties.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
3000 years of no humans would pretty much fix the climate.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fabricated posted:

3000 years of no humans would pretty much fix the climate.

Yep, all our models more our less assume people around and trees and greenery not growing everywhere. 3000 is also more than enough for in some cases 5-6 cycles of tree's going through their entire life cycle and in boggy areas (ie peat) 100 years of no human interference is enough for them to heal and those places are among the best carbon sinks on the planet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AtomikKrab posted:

Yep, all our models more our less assume people around and trees and greenery not growing everywhere. 3000 is also more than enough for in some cases 5-6 cycles of tree's going through their entire life cycle and in boggy areas (ie peat) 100 years of no human interference is enough for them to heal and those places are among the best carbon sinks on the planet.
Pretty much. 3000 years of 0 humans is a complete reset button for most things- poo poo, just a couple hundred years would probably be. The only things that would probably still be gone would be any large fauna we placed in the position of needing direct human intervention via breeding programs to save so sadly we'd wake up to a world that probably didn't have most species of Rhino, Elephants, etc. Unless by some miracle breeding populations managed to form by sheer happenstance. The ocean would be in real good shape too- I'd think most species of whale would repopulate provided they survive 2-3 generations of basically being seafaring toxic waste (Orcas and many other whales are so loaded with toxins and chemicals from pollution due to their blubber retaining it that their corpses are quite literally considered toxic waste when they wash up. It's flat out unsafe to process them).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/85/page/1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
He seems like a fun and well adjusted individual.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Big fan of this guy.
Even though he will probably ruin the world again in record time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat senku the world only just recovered from global warming

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok I don’t remember this reporter girl at all. When was she introduced?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RatHat posted:

she worked for tsukuasa identifying strong people to revive for his strong people only primitive society

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I love that Ryusui instantly knows what's up and just straight up goes "after 3000 years I'm free. It's time to conquer Earth!" :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I love that Ryusui instantly knows what's up and just straight up goes "after 3000 years I'm free. It's time to conquer Earth!" :allears:

It made me wonder if he like Tajiu and Senkuu was aware that he was turned to stone.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

RatHat posted:

She appeared briefly either right before or during the battle for the Cave of Miracles, and all she did there was fawn over Tsukasa for a bit. There was nothing really noteworthy about her debut; I reread the Stone War arc just to find who Senkuu meant by "that girl with the shells" when making "pointless conversation" with Tsukasa since I didn't remember noticing anybody like that when that arc was going on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth TNT posted:

It made me wonder if he like Tajiu and Senkuu was aware that he was turned to stone.
It seems like people with very strong minds or egos are able to resist the sleep-like effect of being petrified, like Senku and Taiju did.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nothing will ever top Tsukasa "What's the situation?" *kicks a lion to death* Shishio for over-the-top un-stoning entrances, but drat that guy is a firecracker. I like that he's just a greedy and overbearing arrogant bastard too, not just an rear end in a top hat as I feared when shell-head introduced him as a rich spoiled brat with a boat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fabricated posted:

It seems like people with very strong minds or egos are able to resist the sleep-like effect of being petrified, like Senku and Taiju did.

He probably didn't know how long he was petrified for other than a while, but also he is fairly ego-centric combined with actually utilizing a fully sail driven vessel to navigate the world which requires a tough and flexible mind or you straight die because the ocean is a mother.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Yes, time to make up for 3000 years of clean air.
Set up the derricks, it's time to oil up.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Well, on the plus side there can't be that much of it left.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, 3000 years isn't anywhere near the time needed for new oil deposits to form.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"There's only one option! We have to frack Mount Fuji!"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Anybody whose first action upon become de-petrified is to dramatically snap their fingers and shout "I'M BACK!!" is OK in my book.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Using Tsukasa's freezer for the thermometer.
Every time I read the chapter, I find a new gag.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JamMasterJim posted:

Oh my god, I didn't notice. That's amazing.

Also, I'm gonna guess this new guy spent his stone time building ships in a bottle. So he knows like sixty five thousand model ships worth of time have passed, but not exactly how long that is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Anybody whose first action upon become de-petrified is to dramatically snap their fingers and shout "I'M BACK!!" is OK in my book.

even better, that dude was standing there ready to snap

going by his mannerisms he went "i'm about to be biocursed, i better get ready for my re-entrance when the biocurse is cured"

this man is cash money

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Big fan of the gorilla squad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Patware posted:

even better, that dude was standing there ready to snap

going by his mannerisms he went "i'm about to be biocursed, i better get ready for my re-entrance when the biocurse is cured"

this man is cash money

"Let's see if my sailor's sense is on.

"Hm, a great flash of unknown origin is about to petrify all human life (and some birds) for untold millennia.

"STRIKE...A POSE"

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

this guy reads one piece

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lmao if you don't pose dramatically at all times in case all of humanity gets frozen time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

JamMasterJim posted:

:science: Strictly speaking that's a scientific inaccuracy; ice can be below 0, and the freezer presumably is. You have to dip the thermometer in melting ice for this to work.