Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NewMars posted:

We already know, actually.

Mercenary in a civil war.

I'm glad to have once again heard the story of how Ruku got his rear end Beat'r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Gruul: The One-Eyed, Green People Eater

Lore for... Expecting Company

Are you confused by what happened there? A massive gronn showing up to save our heroes? And wait a minute! Blade's Edge Mountains? I looked at the map, and that's not where Deathwing's Lair is! Yes, sometimes these retcons can be a little jarring for those who grew up with the original games and didn't follow all the expanded universe stuff that makes some of the more bizarre plot points of the games knit together.

So let's start with our good friend Deathwing. Y'know, the Dragon Aspect of Earth that possesses the power of a god, a mind corrupted by ancient evil, and a body that's literally bursting with energy? Well, in order to assist Ner'zhul with his plan, the dragon demanded the skull of Gul'dan as payment. Why? Uh.... He wanted it because it was filled with vague magical energy and maybe it could give his new dragonflight untold magical power? Or something. Yeah, it's sort of brushed off as, "This thing is so magic how could you not want it?

"It's a fine piece. One of a kind, really. However, I can't help but notice the lingering odor of fel magic. That'll knock a few hundred bucks off the price..."

And as a part of Deathwing's original deal, he was planning to raise his new black dragonflight here on Draenor. Specifically he chose the land of Gorgrond, which was so inhospitable that NO ONE could live there! His new dragons would be perfectly safe! I mean, except for the giant ogre monsters that killed everything, but beyond that... perfectly safe.

Yeah, it turns out that the displaced gronn had all gathered in Gorgrond under the watchful eye of Gruul, the mightiest of the gronn. Gruul? Wait, that one gronn that escaped from the Thunderlords time and time again? YOU HAD OE JOB, FENRIS. The far reaching implications of Fenris failing to kill Gruul are fun, but definitely mental fodder for someone slightly more unhinged than I. Anyway, Gruul now rules over the gronn in the spiky valleys of Gorgrond, and he's a little upset that Deathwing had the gall to bring his fire-breathing offspring into gronn territory. This lead to clashes between the giants and the dragons AND some Extreme Home Makeovers.

It adds a certain sophistication to the mountain range that you just can't get with orcs.

But let's be honest, as powerful as the gronn are, they weren't going to be any match for Deathwing. In fact, the massive dragon didn't even consider the creatures much of a threat at all. However, when the Alliance Expedition arrived and saw the "redecoration" that the gronn had gotten up to with the dragons, Khadgar saw an opportunity. The humans struck a deal with Gruul and his monstrous brethren: help them through Gorgrond to recover the skull and they would help Gruul with getting rid of Deathwing.

Let me just say, this is the ballsiest deal that anyone could strike. I mean, Khadgar was that cocky?

: Yeah, man, we'll help you kill the god-dragon thing. I mean, I got magic or whatever.

: AND YOU JUST WANT THIS... UH... SKULL?

: Mmmhmm, plain ol' ordinary skull. And we're TOTALLY gonna kill that dragon together. I've got like... this elf who's SUPER good with bows. And another dude with glowing eyes, so you know that SOMETHING is goin' on there. Yeah, we'll be fine.

Anyway, in case you guys haven't figured it out... they totally didn't kill Deathwing. He escaped back to Azeroth, never to be seen again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So they used Deathwings new dragon flight as new christmas decorations, but somehow he didn't consider them a threat to his plan to create a new dragonflight? :thunk: He's not very good at this is he?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Darth TNT posted:

So they used Deathwings new dragon flight as new christmas decorations, but somehow he didn't consider them a threat to his plan to create a new dragonflight? :thunk: He's not very good at this is he?

I'm not sure if Blizzard tried to set up Deathwing as a Machiavellian villain, but it sure looks like they tried to. But the sort of bad guy who has brain problems.

"I've got ALL THE POWER! I'll use it immediately and demand everyone become my slaves!"

"Okay, okay, I'll take over this human kingdom and I'll- Oooh! Orcs? Screw that, I'm going to their alien planet!"

"Guys, check it out, I'm gonna live in this desolate wasteland with the only things that could beat up my race!"

He's... a special dragon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I’m not sure Blizzard can really do a Machiavelli villain well. They gotta go nuts at some point and be all berserk & evil if you want to raid them. Shady manipulation doesn’t work well in the WoW game. Correct me if I’m wrong.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Azzur posted:

He's... a special dragon.

BECAUSE I'M SO BRILLIANT!

achtungnight posted:

I’m not sure Blizzard can really do a Machiavelli villain well. They gotta go nuts at some point and be all berserk & evil if you want to raid them. Shady manipulation doesn’t work well in the WoW game. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The whole black dragonflight manipulating the humans into war, masquerading as nobility, seemed to work okay in WoW?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well yeah manipulation works fine in WoW backstory but not in everyday recurring villainy. We’ve already established the leader of the Black Dragonflight isn’t as good as he could be at it and I’m betting the rest aren’t much better. I can’t easily imagine a Blizzard villain doing the manipulation thing without being super obvious and succeeding by plot contrivances more than actual skill. That’s what I thought of the Diablo games, although other players may have different opinions. I don’t know enough Warcraft lore to argue a case against it being similar therein.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh, but it's a lengthy questline. Pretty sure it starts at level 10 and ends at 60? Don't remember how obvious it is, probably very.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Oh, but it's a lengthy questline. Pretty sure it starts at level 10 and ends at 60? Don't remember how obvious it is, probably very.

The direct questline unveiling everything is/was a 58-60 affair but the prior side-effects as a whole spanned 1-60 entirely.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

McTimmy posted:

The direct questline unveiling everything is/was a 58-60 affair but the prior side-effects as a whole spanned 1-60 entirely.

Oh right, you fight Defias right from the start, don't you? Never really played Alliance outside of private servers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

While Defias are present in Elwynn forest they're mostly at the edges and no one is sure who they really are. They don't come into play until Westfall as well as part of the Missing Diplomat Questline.
Although after that point they're pretty much done as an entity until Cataclysm.

Their later stand in, the Syndicate, that shows up in Hillsbrad and Arathi Hills are pretty much a non entity from the start.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Defias are just one part of the story though. The machinations they're involved with connect together the whole leveling experience. Well, for the most part.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

McTimmy posted:

The Defias are just one part of the story though. The machinations they're involved with connect together the whole leveling experience. Well, for the most part.

Ah yeah, should've mentioned that since it's all part of Katrana Prestor Onyxia's plans.
Probably the most competent of Deathwing's offspring I would believe. I mean there is also Neltharion but all I remember him is being smug whenever you encountered in the Blackrock dungeons and telling the orcs to kill the one in the dress.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yeah, should've mentioned that since it's all part of Katrana Prestor Onyxia's plans.
Probably the most competent of Deathwing's offspring I would believe. I mean there is also Neltharion but all I remember him is being smug whenever you encountered in the Blackrock dungeons and telling the orcs to kill the one in the dress.

Er, you do know that Deathwing's original/dragon name is Neltharion, right? That was big D-W himself.

I always felt that the massive pile of retcons, re-retcons, ret-con-recons, and general giant mess actually kind of ended up by utter accident making a villain who was believably hosed in the head. Dude was basically driven mad by over ten millennia of old god whispers so you'd have basically long stretches where he wonders off to do something off-camera that's utterly random (probably a mixture of Old Dragon Yells At Clouds and living the equivalent of a really bad acid trip at the same time) with periods of intense concentration and hyper-competence whenever his magic/mood/brain leveled out. Then after a while the sanity wears off or gets beaten out of him by adventurers and the Black Dragonflight are trying to pretend they don't know grandad as the 50-ton armored behemoth runs around the Barrens calling himself Dethro the Dragon, trying to collect imaginary gemstones while he roasts kodo beasts to summon imaginary butterflies to feed his imaginary dragonfly friend.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 28, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Er, you do know that Deathwing's original/dragon name is Neltharion, right? That was big D-W himself.

:doh:
I meant Blackwing in this case and not Deathwing. I just forgot his name was Nefarian.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cooked Auto posted:

:doh:
I meant Blackwing in this case and not Deathwing. I just forgot his name was Nefarian.

NEFARIAN, really. They called their villain Nefarian. Why not go whole hog and call him Baddius, Meanius or Villainius.

Hahahahahah, loving Blizzard.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

We first met him in his human guise, Victor Nefarius, Lord of Blackrock.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fun fact: this character is an ally of the heroes for quite some time

E: or am I thinking of ANOTHER black dragon with a stupid name that hangs out and helps the heroes during late pandaria stuff

E2: I am, I'm thinking of Wrathion

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:krakentoot: "Hi I'm Wrathion, I like flowers and parties."

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I can't believe you people are badmouthing Deathwing like this. Look at him:

If that isn't a dragon of class and sophistication I don't know what is :colbert:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mors Rattus posted:

fun fact: this character is an ally of the heroes for quite some time

E: or am I thinking of ANOTHER black dragon with a stupid name that hangs out and helps the heroes during late pandaria stuff

E2: I am, I'm thinking of Wrathion

Wrathion is one of two black dragons that are free of the aspect's corruption and he actually wants to clean this mess up, along with others. I don't know if he's implied or outright stated to the player or just suggested heavily but he's the result of the player helping Rheastraza creating a black dragon egg free of the corruption that drove Neltharion and the Black Dragonflight insane*. He had this big "You two factions should stop fighting each other! You won't? Fine, I'll encourage you two to fight to make you bigger and stronger when the real threat shows up!" mastermind stick with the Alliance and Horde but I think he's hosed off/the writers have forgotten him at the time being. Funny thing is that swarthy Moor looking guy with the glowing red eyes? Really a tiny little dragon whelpling. Yup, the player was taking quests from some baby dragon.

Ebonhorn would kick Wrathon's rear end anyways. He's my purified Black Dragonflight bro.

*Another potential example of Deathwing's madness. As Earthwarder hiding from Deathwing in some pissant cave is worthless. If he wants to find you he basically goes "let me check my intuitive knowledge of every nook and cranny on Azeroth and...ah there you are" and shows up on your doorstep 5 minutes later. Yet he's so far gone that as a dragon, a massively magical being who can just sense bullshit level of things like a living Star Trek tricorder, falls for the simplest switcheroo and roasts Rheastraza's dragon egg and not his own. I would have called it the laziest switcheroo, but Rhea does sell it with her own painful death so it's not exactly lazy.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

rhea was a good dragon. i'm glad to hear that egg amounted to something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just love that the good guy black dragon is named Very Angryman

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

And we all made fun of Star Wars for names like Darth Bane, Plagueis, Tyranus and poo poo. Well who is laughing now?

Well, me, apparently when you go full Snidely Whiplash you just gotta have an on-the-nose "yes I'm evil" name

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Aces High posted:

And we all made fun of Star Wars for names like Darth Bane, Plagueis, Tyranus and poo poo. Well who is laughing now?

Well, me, apparently when you go full Snidely Whiplash you just gotta have an on-the-nose "yes I'm evil" name

Personally, I don't think you can top Darth Nihilus as a "why yes, I am clearly evil" name. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dude, I grew up watching Darkseid, Mon-Star, Shredder, Doctor Octopus, Venom, Skeletor, and Evil-Lyn. Top those names for obvious evil-ness.

Oh, and don't forget Maleficent.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Yeah, these names are ridiculous!

Anyway, I can’t wait tell you more about Nigel Necksmasher, Bloodgut, and Vilefeast/Darkweaver.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Maleficent and Darkseid I've never looked at as silly because they didn't pick their names. Maleficent seems to have always had her name and she's also the Mistress of all Evil so it just scans. Darkseid is from a planet called Apokolips so I get the feeling if you had a nice guy sounding name you'd be considered a freak, an rear end in a top hat or it's some kind of "A Boy Named Sue" scenario.

All the Sith lords choose their titles, and here Deathwing chose to call himself Nefarian. Then again, his name IS Deathwing

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Deathwing's human disguise was Daval Prestor. Nefarian is Deathwing's son's dragon name. Nefarian's human guise's name is Victor Nefarius.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

Anyway, I can’t wait tell you more about Nigel Necksmasher, Bloodgut, and Vilefeast/Darkweaver.

So, I'm curious. Given their current situation, should we refer to them as Vileweaver, or Darkfeast?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

NewMars posted:

So, I'm curious. Given their current situation, should we refer to them as Vileweaver, or Darkfeast?

I think I heard "Vileweaver" tossed around earlier, and that rolls off the tongue better anyway :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Nefarian's human guise's name is Victor Nefarius.

Should've spelled it Nefarious for maximum British movie evil.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Azzur posted:

We're not interested in stories about a chiropractor, a dietitian and a chef/seamstress. We're here for proper evil names.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Chiropractor had me in stitches.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

THE BAR posted:

Chiropractor had me in stitches.

That would be the seamstress.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

We're not interested in stories about a dietitian.

No wonder everyone gives Bloodgut poo poo, no one likes to be told their food choices are bad

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wrathion is a tragic case of being well-meaning, ambitious, and brilliant as all hell, while simultaneously being naive, impulsive, hot-headed and dumb as bricks.

For clarification there, I'm talking sky-high intellect score while his wisdom score is rock bottom.

Plus, he doesn't react well when people don't play out according to his plans. Regardless of whether or not they're aware of said plans. His little tantrum when Wrynn decided to call a truce after Garrosh's defeat instead of pushing for domination over the Horde was adorable.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Episode 20: Coast of Bones or Dwarfless Professionalism

Mission Briefing

: Kalassori, it's just you and I today.

: You and me, Captain Varin Wells.

: Thank you for agreeing, I suppose.

: Let's get these men onto the transports and make this assault swift. While Sir Trollbane and General Turalyon are handling things back in Auchidoun, we've got to push the line up.

: I still cannot believe that Ruku Reckless Firefist missed such a battle!

: Indeed. It was astounding the way that Sir Trollbane charged the orc chieftain in the midst of the chaos.

: And the ramparts burning with the flames of victory is a sight that will never leave my eyes.

: Yeah... such a shame that Ruku missed that. Truly a once in a lifetime moment. Anyway, let's get going, Kalassori.

: Actually, Captain Wells, I have plans here.

: Here? On this... uh, rock? Kala...

: It's going to be fine. Go ahead, Captain.

: Whatever you say. Men! Move out!

: I don't believe that the Captain understands my methods.

This sort of stuff is exactly what Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was trying to prevent with its bizarre road-based building system!

: With all of our supplies so far away from the front lines, we're practically impervious!

: She's doing the farm thing again, isn't she? ...Who am I even talking to?

: To think that I'm actually starting to miss those two idiots.

: Contact with the enemy. Give them a broadside and prepare for a pass along the beaches.

: Masterfully done. Let's make sure to handle any shore defenses before we move our infantry in.

: As expected. Let them have it, men!

: One down. Keep up the pressure.

: Beautiful. Let's get those boots on the ground!

: ...Y'know, it figures that the one time everything is going perfectly, no one is around to see.

: I mean, if Gaz or Ruku were here, we would have lost all of our ships and had to settle this with our fists or something.

: Actually, now I wonder if that's an indictment of my leadership skills or those that I choose to lead.

: Regardless, I hate to do this, but I need those Firefist dwarves to handle things before we can push in further.

: We really have to come up with a better way to transport explosives.

: Not a bad landing, if I do say so, myself. Now where is Kala with our supplies?

Elsewhere on the Skeletal Coast...

: Perfect. No one, and I mean no one, will ever be able to access these food stores now.

: You're Gary's men, right? Let me chart a quick path for you. It's a bit of a shortcut that I've devised. I'll make sure that the rest of these farms go up according to specifications.

: I mean, I assume that it's a shortcut.

: Ah, what could go wrong?

I literally sent one of my two transports containing three of my five peasants directly through the most fortified position on the map. Back when I did the Tides of Darkness LP, people often praised my skill at this game. It's been really quiet on that front lately and here's a good example why.

: Now, where were we?

Back at the Thunderlord camp...

: Well, we can't wait forever. Charge!

This map is strange. Strange in that I personally think that the level designers didn't imagine anyone would aim for the southern most base first. Let me use this totally not stolen map to illustrate.

Here we have a completely undefended gold mine that we can quickly snatch up. We could use our forces for a bit of a siege against the Shattered Hand, and probably take their gold mine as well. However, there's not a lot of gold to be had here, and there's very little space to spread out. Meanwhile...

...the Thunderlords will start ramping into dragons to bombard your base while the Laughing Skull launches a series of ground assaults. Most of your time is going to be spent defending your little corner while trying to put together a navy to strike out. However, since this map seems designed with this challenge in mind, the Shattered Hand really doesn't put up any resistance even if you let them sit for awhile. So...

: Looks like the orcs weren't prepared for us to launch an attack from the sea. I can nearly see the spires of their dark temple from here.

: I mean, is this all that they have to stand against us?

: Captain Varin Wells. I see things are proceeding accordingly. Where, uh, where are Gary's other men that I sent ahead?

: What other men?

: Ah, nothing. I'm sure it's fine.

: Uh, Kala, we're still fighting here.

: Don't mind me. Just fight around us.

: Let's take stock. We've cleared out the Thunderlords, but we still have several other clans to handle. What about our food stores?

: Tip-top shape, Captain Wells. We have a warehouse filled with enough supplies to last our assault.

: ...Kala.

: Kalassori.

: ...Kalassori. Where is the warehouse?

: On a small island in the middle of the sea.

: Do you see why that isn't helpful?

: Nonsense, Captain Wells. You remember that I'm a master of the art of relocation?

: I don't see how-

: Ah. Magic.

: Do you think I'm some sort of fool, Captain Wells?

: It's not that, it's just that I'm sort of used to members of my unit thinking in... unusual ways..

: Well, we have our outpost started here, Captain Varin Wells.

: You can just call me Varin, Kalassori.

: A name is not a trifling thing to be cast aside so casually, Varin Wells.

: Of course... Well, I'm going to see if there's anything we can salvage from these orcs, Kalassori Morningpath.

: Great. Some hold outs are still entrenched here. Kalassori, could we-

: Already requisitioned, Captain Wells.

: And I've taken the liberty of having Gary's men put together a shipyard for our naval forces.

: Why exactly did Gary stay behind at Auchindoun?

: He was requested specifically by Sir Trollbane.

Meanwhile, at Auchindoun...

: I knew you were a warrior from the moment I saw you, lad!

: ...

Back on the Skeletal Coast...

: Danath probably needed him to shore up the fortifications.

: Our murder machine is ready, Captain.

: I am morally opposed to that name, Kalassori. We're not savages.

: I'm just calling it by the same moniker that Ruku Reckless Firefist does.

: Kala, if Ruku does something, it's probably for the best to never do that. You know that he drinks gunpowder, right?

: Ah, speaking of which. We should start harvesting some of the crude oil around the area.

: You really should scout these things out before hand, Kalassori.

: Wasn't that your job, Captain Wells?

: ...I'll take care of this.

: Excellently done, Captain Varin Wells. Now if I could just direct your attention back towards our base...

: For the love of the Light...

: I've already rallied the soldiers.

: No need. These trolls haven't exactly thought this through.

: Kala. Take a note.

: I'll do no such thing.

: Well... could you at least remind me to apologize to Ruku. I entirely understand his fascination with explosives now.

: Are you crying?

: Tears of joy, Kala.

: Well, once more-

: Why can't I have one moment?!

: I've got this, Captain.

: That's right, soldiers. Use the sharp parts! Downward thrusts will allow you to penetrate the ogre blubber.

: Kalassori, they know how to fight.

: So... wait, what is your job then?

: Well...

: Oh, drat it all.

: Varin? Captain Varin Wells?

: G-hak! Hakk... koff... Guh... It is very hard to swim in this armor.

: Glad to see that you somehow survived your ship exploding, Captain Wells.

: Your deadpan tone, Kalassori, is not very comforting.

: You want to handle this one?

: Certainly.

: These... turtles are not well equipped for war. Well, with the exception of the missiles.

: Only a goblin would strap a missile to a turtle and forget the armor.

: Do you ever think that maybe the orcs aren't taking this war seriously?

: drat! Does that answer your question?

: Not particularl-

: Kalassori!

: What?

: I should be relieved, but I mostly feel annoyed at magic.

: My soldiers will handle the rest of this.

: I think it's become readily apparent that the orcs have discovered where we are. So...

: We strike out first and murder them in their beds.

: ...Well, yes, but maybe phrased differently?

: I'll handle the scouting, Captain Wells. You prepare the troops.

: This is... surprisingly weak resistance.

I wasn't lying when I said that the Shattered Hand didn't pose too much of a threat.

: I don't think we'll have any issues.

Later...

: ...and that's why I recommend the small force for dealing with the one-handed orcs.

: Is that really the best course of action?

: Without a doubt. It will allow us to hold the rest of our soldiers in reserve in case of another assault from the Laughing Skull. We'll finish up the orcs to the north and still have the bulk of our army fit for action.

: You haven't given me bad advice yet.

: Yes, that force should be more than ample.

: Alright, then. You handle things here while I take care of the Shattered Hand. Let's shove off, men!

: Kala says that there will be little resistance. I want this by the books.

: An opening volley...

: ...and knights to the fore. Just as we've practiced.

: Even so close to their power base, these orcs pose little threat to the human Alliance.

: Now let's get those barracks attended to while their forces are still trying to rally.

: Alright, with that taken care of-

: Are they building another one?! What, did they hire Kala as their contractor?

: More reinforcements?

: The next time I ask that Kalassori to scout for me, I'm going to double check her reports.

Meanwhile...

: Captain Wells has been gone for awhile.

: Captain? Captain Varin Wells?

: Oh, hey, Kala. Can't help but notice how well-defended this place is!

: Captain Wells, I-

: AND THEY'RE REBUILDING!

: Perhaps we should-

: A tactical retreat, yes. I assume you've left the transports docked nearby?

: Captain Varin Wells, I'm so sorry. I didn't think that the orcs would have put up such resistance.

: It's... fine, Kala. Kalassori. I think that Ruku would have handled those orcs better.

: He has been known to take on a surprising amount of orcs without getting so much as a scratch.

: Except for that one scar.

: The soldiers are ready, Captain.

: Then let's make for the Shattered Hand once more.

: Will this be sufficient, Captain Varin Wells?

: More than so.

: Charge!

: Would that all of our excursions go so smoothly.

: I can't help but feel like this would have been more difficult with a morose mage and drunken dwarf.

: I appreciate the alliteration, Captain.

: The what?

: Let's handle these orcs once and for all. We don't have long before General Turalyon arrives and I want this to be taken care of before then.

: I believe that this clan has expended most of their men fighting over their barracks.

: And yet they insist on constructing more.

: Actually, this is... strange. There should be a lot more orcs here.

: Have they already pulled back to their capital?

: I sincerely doubt that these savages could even fathom the idea of a capital.

: I'll leave the men to it. We've got some scouting reports to pour over.

: Ah, exciting! I'll get my binders!

: ...Kala, you don't have to file every scouting report, you know.

: It seems that the Laughing Skull have already clear cut their tre- ...mushrooms?

: Fascinating. Little concern for their environment.

: I mean, look around. Would you worry about this environment?

: Sounds like they've at least left behind some resistance.

: A token force at best.

: Feh! My boyos can take care o' tha'.

: Thane Wildhammer?

: Ruku!

: Get me offa' this thing...

: Archmage Khadgar and General Turaylon are on their way. How's th' assault goin'?

: Er, excellently. We were just about to begin a naval assault on the Laughing Skull.

: Naval? Why th' hell're ya gonna do tha'?

: Maybe it has somethin' ta do with th' feelin' o' solid ground under yer feet!

: Actually, Ruku Reckless Firefist, the sea-

: Ye know what I mean!

: Well, dun let me stop ye. I'm off ta contact Sir Trollbane to make sure tha' his men are goin' ta be ready.

: And your Wildhammers?

: Ach, they're yers fer th' assault. Jus' make sure tha' we have a suitable place ta launch our attack on tha' black temple over thar.

: Y'know, Varin, tha' we don't really need th' Wild'ammers fer this.

: I've missed your strange brand of racism, Ruku Reckless Firefist.

: I could use a little help commanding the fleet, here!

: Ah, yer doin' a great job, Cap'n.

: 'Cept tha' ship. Tha' one was a bad one.

: Ruku!

: I know, Cap'n. I missed me, too.

: Master Firefist, perhaps you could launch the landing part-

: FIST O' FIREFIST!

: I have missed him so.

: Kalassori, could you rally the Wildhammer men for us?

: With pleasure!

: Woo hoo hoooo!

: I have the constituent elements of the universe at my fingertips and this is still the best thing in the world!

: ...It jus' ain't right, an elf ridin' around on a dwarven griffon.

: I just wanted a nice life. Serving in Stormwind's military. No orcs. No crazy dwarves. No griffon riding elven wizards.

Once more, this map is weird and is either designed poorly or doesn't account for the player taking the Thunderlord base first. The Shattered Hand and Laughing Skull exhaust their gold mines so quickly that it's more akin to cleaning up the remnants than fighting a climactic final battle.

: I'm just glad that we're all together again.

: We still haven't found Gaz.

: Well, yes, but we are all together, still.

: Technically correct.

: Any other kind would be considered incorrect, Captain.

: Oh, yeah! Cap'n! I fought a dragon named Darkwing!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 1, 2019

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Sorry to interrupt "How To Train Your Dragonflight," but here's the off-site link for those of you still having trouble loading this monster.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Uploading early since I've got a busy weekend ahead of me and I didn't want to leave anyone hanging after I promised to get back on track!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The latest update was great. I never imagined trying to take the Coast of Bones map like that. Not surprised it works!