Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You get your money's worth with The Last Guardian's too. The statue is gorgeous and full of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I noticed Bulletstorm was free this month so I downloaded it today and played through it again because drat that game was a hoot and a half. Super fun, where the gently caress is my sequel?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

rabidsquid posted:

if you follow cheap rear end gamer or wario 64 on twitter you'll see the extra collectors editions nobody want go on sale at gamestop all the time and even on deep discounts they're absolutely insane prices, especially if they have a figure.

I remember going into gamestop once and seeing a mountain of the Halo special editions with the master chief helmet for less than the game itself cost

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

gently caress I'm so excited to go home and begin my weekend by getting mega, mega loving high and playing Tetris Effect until I fall asleep on my beanbag.

Hell yeah

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

veni veni veni posted:

From a few pages back (re: FO76 and every other game collectors edition) , but Jesus Christ how are video game collectors editions so bad? They are all such cheap trash. The entire point of box sets for decades has been to have an extra nice version of something you like with some bonus poo poo. But somehow games get away with stuffing in literal garbage that looks like it came out of a Spirit Halloween store dumpster.

It's not like I'm even too good for the cheesy crap they put in them. The quality is just so bad though. For $150-300 bucks you'd think you'd get something better than either A. a prop from the game made out of cheap childrens toy plastic with a comparable paint job or B. some hideous statue that is made out of that resin that the $10 statues from Oriental Gift Shop use.

The Yakuza 6 collector's edition is really nice. The glasses are just fine and dandy (it's not like the dragon patterns just fall off as soon as you wash them) and I use them whenever I drink whisky :shobon:

On the other hand, my local GameStop had a TitanFall 1 collector's edition for Xbox One on the floor for, like..... half a year, that they just gradually kept lowering the prices on, but no-one ever bought it 'cause it was so loving huge. Like, a cube 2ft on every side. Ridiculous.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 30, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Do not fear! I always avoid spoilers for games I am playing :D

Though I am now tempted to ignore a few of the side stories and make a beeline for the end of the chapter if it is as awesome as the posts would lead me to believe. I know I will be playing it this evening however :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VG, your latest av is amazing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

JBP posted:

gently caress I'm so excited to go home and begin my weekend by getting mega, mega loving high and playing Tetris Effect until I fall asleep on my beanbag.

Now I can't help but wonder, what happens if someone falls asleep with wearing VR glasses, especially with something as visually explosive as Tetris Effect

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They wake up with a sore face I'd imagine

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

VG, your latest av is amazing.

Thanks :D I saw a report on one of the Nintendo threads, went to have a look and the page reloaded a load of tweets and brought me face to face with a much larger version. After laughing like a loon for a while, I knew I had to make it avatar sized!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VideoGames posted:

Do not fear! I always avoid spoilers for games I am playing :D

Though I am now tempted to ignore a few of the side stories and make a beeline for the end of the chapter if it is as awesome as the posts would lead me to believe. I know I will be playing it this evening however :D

Do it and post your thoughts! As far as I know nothing can be missed or anything in Y0 so it won’t hurt.

Samuringa posted:

Now I can't help but wonder, what happens if someone falls asleep with wearing VR glasses, especially with something as visually explosive as Tetris Effect

I’ve thought about long session sensory deprivation/sensory play via vr. Seems interesting but I haven’t heard any developers trying something like that.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
One thing about VR that I thought was actually pretty funny and cool at the same time was wearing glasses with the headset. When I first used PSVR I told myself I didn't need my glasses because I'm near-sighted and the headset is just a screen right up on my eyeballs. After playing a few games, I kept wondering why the resolution and quality just wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, kind of blurry too. My wife laughed, saying it's because I needed my glasses. I put them on and holy poo poo did it really make a difference. Dan Ryckert mentioned how cool it is that VR is able to trick the mind so much into thinking you're in real life with real depth distances.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

One thing about VR that I thought was actually pretty funny and cool at the same time was wearing glasses with the headset. When I first used PSVR I told myself I didn't need my glasses because I'm near-sighted and the headset is just a screen right up on my eyeballs. After playing a few games, I kept wondering why the resolution and quality just wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, kind of blurry too. My wife laughed, saying it's because I needed my glasses. I put them on and holy poo poo did it really make a difference. Dan Ryckert mentioned how cool it is that VR is able to trick the mind so much into thinking you're in real life with real depth distances.

I was talking about that with my gf yesterday and it really is a mind boggling thing to consider. Like I can’t wrap my mind around why I can see my hand just fine until about a foot away with no glasses but a screen pressed against my eyes renders everything a blur. It’s fascinating! I haven’t checked but I assume I would be able to see things up close like I can in real life.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Yeah it's gonna make them a gently caress-ton of money, though the starting guns seem perfectly fine so far. Haven't really needed money yet either, so it hasn't bothered me.

It bothers me a bit in the way that it's Rockstar's way of saying "You want any of the thousands shinies we've put in you you're gonna have to loving pay for them."
I've played it a bit with friends, and we want to make a permanent posse, but that costs 200 dollars, and during, like 8 hours of gameplay, I have 120 bucks. And I'm saving for it. And that's just to make it easer to party up with friends!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was talking about that with my gf yesterday and it really is a mind boggling thing to consider. Like I can’t wrap my mind around why I can see my hand just fine until about a foot away with no glasses but a screen pressed against my eyes renders everything a blur. It’s fascinating! I haven’t checked but I assume I would be able to see things up close like I can in real life.

Sure can! I specifically remember playing Job Simulator and my VR hands looked fine, along with things I could hold, but my vision got blurrier the further out things were from me. VR is the future and I can't wait to see where it goes!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samuringa posted:

From the Elite: Dangerous thread:

Songbearer posted:

It's been a while but it was one of those circumstances where I had already decided that come hell or high water I was gonna play some ED when I finished work. I didn't realise that my working day was going to be absurdly hectic so when I returned home I should have probably gone straight to sleep. Nah, slap on the headset, load up my Adder and go do some space truckin'!

So I don't know if you've tried VR or not but the headset is clunky and not the most comfortable thing in the world, so sleeping while wearing one sounds largely absurd - the lenses means there's always light in your eyes and I generally have my sound up quite high - but I was so ridiculously exhausted that I just kind of didn't realise what was happening. I undocked the Adder, got away from the space station and just dethrottled while I decided to faff around with the in-ship menus.

Well, there must gave been a golden combination of tiredness, a comfy chair, the dark infinities of space and the gentle sounds of an idling spaceship surrounding me because after a few false starts where I drifted off and snapped back to reality again, I finally fell asleep with the headset firmly in place.

I don't think I was out too long, maybe 45 minutes or an hour? But when I finally did drift back to consciousness it was enough to really, really confuse the crap out of me.

It wasn't anything more than probably 30 seconds of confusion but it felt a lot longer than that and gave me a really weird sense of dissociation for a little while. Weirdly enough, the whole "I'm on a spaceship?" thing wasn't what gave me the most immediate shock. It was:

Why aren't my hands responding? Why aren't my arms moving?

I was moving my arms in real life but of course they're at your sides and in the HOTAS in-game. I could feel them move around but they weren't moving in VR. That really should have snapped me out of it but I guess I was so exhausted that sense had entirely left me because then came

WAIT WHY AM I IN loving SPACE AND WHAT'S ON MY FACE Oh. oh.

Which was a real visceral feeling of panic which finally snapped me out of it. That was a few seconds worth of not knowing what the hell was going on before I took off the several pounds of plastic from my head. I felt so stupid afterwards but yeah the detachment I felt was real. I've not experienced anything like that again - this is when I was fairly new to VR and I use it weekly now so much of the weirdness of the sensation has gone (Elite is still incredibly impressive in it) - but all those factors kind of built up to the perfect storm and the disassociation I felt with reality was very palpable for the rest of that evening.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
One of the things that impresses me most with VR is how good it is to wear even with glasses on. I also read somewhere that the light bleed was bad but it works almost perfectly on my face.

This honestly feels like the next big thing in videogames to me, its whacky to wear a psvr and be so impressed with the tech considering its the weakest hardware (I've only used psvr).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got really high and played some Tetris but gf took over and is playing spyro.

0/10

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Aw JBP i thought you were a fellow British poster and your weekend Also started in about 5 and a half hours :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm Australian. For good or ill

At least we get games first :unsmith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm Australian. For good or ill

At least we get games first :unsmith:

Not before New Zealand :smug:

Of course, games cost way more there.

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 30, 2018

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Huh, I had thought that VR headsets just didn't work with glasses for some reason. Guess I'm out of excuses and need to get one now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Samuringa posted:

My cousin Brucie did this and when we went to check up on him in the morning and all that was there was the VR goggles, and move sticks still turned on and we've never seen him again. Possibly he was absorbed into the shadow realm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aranan posted:

Huh, I had thought that VR headsets just didn't work with glasses for some reason. Guess I'm out of excuses and need to get one now.

The PSVR headset sits on a rail mounted to the headband, so you can slide it forward for comfort or to fit your glasses in.

If you're talking a full-blown PC VR headset, the Vive's your best bet. It's more expensive than the others, but it's apparently the most comfortable if you wear glasses. Alternatively, however, you can also get third-party prescription lenses for both the Vive and Oculus Rift that can be easily swapped for the regular ones.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I finally found some posts online with the same PS4 symptoms I have and it sounds like it's a dying PSU on both systems, although the regular PS4 only gave me grief once so I'll leave it be for now, although I am mad at it for leading me on a wild goose chase. Definitely sending in the PS4 Pro at least, especially since I just received the return box for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aranan posted:

Nah you’re good. I wear big bulky glasses and the headset fits fine and is comfortable. I don’t get a full seal but that doesn’t matter much unless it’s extremely bright. Even in that setting you can get used to it.

BisterdDave posted:

Sure can! I specifically remember playing Job Simulator and my VR hands looked fine, along with things I could hold, but my vision got blurrier the further out things were from me. VR is the future and I can't wait to see where it goes!

Crazy :eyepop: just another reason I find VR so fascinating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also am a glasses boy and I have found that in order to get the best resolution I do have to have them pressed against my face harder than I would like, but I dunno maybe I just need to try different positions

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I usually pop my contacts in if I’m going to play VR. Makes life easier. I still need to order a larger face shield though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is the Kiwami 2 chapter 9 interaction between majima and sawama from the ps2 version? Because if so I think I'm seeing why he was such a fan favorite despite limited screen time

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
E: nevermind i was wrong

My choice for "best cutscene in the whole Yakuza franchise" is something you still have to look forward to - and it's got Majima in it too :)

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 30, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mastershakeman posted:

Is the Kiwami 2 chapter 9 interaction between majima and sawama from the ps2 version? Because if so I think I'm seeing why he was such a fan favorite despite limited screen time

yes. mostly everything is, in the main plot.

someone asked awhile ago as well about a bit of dialogue and the "he'll steal your pants" in regards to goda is just in kiwami 2 for the 0 reference, not in ps2. oh well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Instant Grat posted:

E: nevermind i was wrong

My choice for "best cutscene in the whole Yakuza franchise" is something you still have to look forward to - and it's got Majima in it too :)

i liked one of his bits in yakuza 3 when you go back to kamo and meet up with him and they play it like maybe he is behind everything, how could you majima! and it turns out to be just a ploy to get another fight out of kiryu in the coliseum. :allears:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Jumping back to Metal Gear chat for a sec, this isn't strictly PS4 but I'd never played a MGS game and went through the first two, just wrapped Sons of Liberty. My wife asked for my help during a cutscene and then got super cranky when twenty minutes later the same cutscene was playing. Game was good though!

Now I'm starting Yakuza 0!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The reason VR screens look blurry without glasses is that the lenses bend the light from the screen so that it enters your eyes in the same way it would if it were coming off a much larger screen much further away. They're also set up so that the vergence needed to focus on them matches that of a distant scene to maintain the illusion.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PSVR headset sits on a rail mounted to the headband, so you can slide it forward for comfort or to fit your glasses in.

If you're talking a full-blown PC VR headset, the Vive's your best bet. It's more expensive than the others, but it's apparently the most comfortable if you wear glasses. Alternatively, however, you can also get third-party prescription lenses for both the Vive and Oculus Rift that can be easily swapped for the regular ones.

The Vive and Rift are much less comfortable with glasses because they rely on putting pressure on your face to stay on your head. The "halo" designs used by Sony and less famous PC headsets are better because it clamps onto your skull and gently hovers the visor in front of your eyes with almost zero face pressure.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jumping back to Metal Gear chat for a sec, this isn't strictly PS4 but I'd never played a MGS game and went through the first two, just wrapped Sons of Liberty. My wife asked for my help during a cutscene and then got super cranky when twenty minutes later the same cutscene was playing. Game was good though!

Now I'm starting Yakuza 0!

poo poo i was just thinking about insane plot twists in video games and i still remember the ME, DEAR BROTHER *takes off sunglasses* completely blowing my young mind.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Doom sucks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I made the mistake of playing Doom after Titanfall 2. Consequently I was bored having less freedom to run about and rebound off walls and such. I'll revisit it someday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doom kicks the butt straight off of Titanfall 2 (and every other fps) :colbert:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Doom is boring as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004