Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I played the n-gage one

Did you at least get to play the RIFTS game that was on the n-gage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Zzulu posted:

I was with you up until "ESO is very good"

Small correction; it is awful trash. A truly awful MMO. The core of it is rotten because the gameplay itself feels like poo poo

counterpoint: ESO is a very, very, very good game. It is a TERRIBLE MMO. But if you play it like a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game (enjoy the story, wander around and find cool poo poo, pick all the flowers, etc), it's great fun. If you play it like any other MMO (fast travel to the quest hub to level as fast as possible) then yeah it is terribad.

It's just a weird niche that I enjoy. I like picking flowers, okay?!

:)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thursday Next posted:

counterpoint: ESO is a very, very, very good game. It is a TERRIBLE MMO. But if you play it like a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game (enjoy the story, wander around and find cool poo poo, pick all the flowers, etc), it's great fun. If you play it like any other MMO (fast travel to the quest hub to level as fast as possible) then yeah it is terribad.

ESO is the best MMO because of the universal scaling and ridiculous amount of build options and ease of getting exactly the gear you want. However, it is still a MMO

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thursday Next posted:

It would be a great single player game if the quests didn’t have a bunch of players running around

Like “go to this sacred remote temple and be the special person who manages to ohhh look there’s a dozen guys here farming that boss, get in line I guess, hope this doesn’t ruin your immersion”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hollow Knight is a great game but the boss rush dlc is dumb bullshit made to appeal to shut-ins

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A friendly reminder that Just Cause 4 is out in 5 days and it is the #1 "wander around and blow everything up" simulator series

Really excited about this. Hope the jetpack made it's way into the game again.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

SpazmasterX posted:

Really excited about this. Hope the jetpack made it's way into the game again.

Better not be as boring as Just Cause 3. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Red Alert is better and more fun than Command and Conquer. :colbert:

Thursday Next posted:

When you're picking flowers you're in your happy place?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

signalnoise posted:

ESO is the best MMO because of the universal scaling and ridiculous amount of build options and ease of getting exactly the gear you want. However, it is still a MMO
The universal scaling makes the game boring as gently caress.

Everything is too easy, but instead of finding harder guys to fight, you just get the same guys with a wasp model instead of a crocodile model.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's worse than that in RDR2

If you just use the analogue stick you walk incredibly slowly
If you hold X then you jog lightly
You have to mash X to go at a speed that is tolerable

If you're within 100 yards of camp mashing X does nothing, and your light jog from holding X is reduced to a slow walk, and your regular walk is reduced to a near-sighted grandma with severe arthritis using a self-checkout till in a supermarket and trying to redeem a coupon that expired in 1987

There's a good game in there, and the characters, fights and scenery have been enough for me to nearly finish it (I'm on the epilogue) but there are so many bad things that frequently makes it a chore.

I was testing it out and I think it's because it's making you stay below the speed where you can impart physics onto other things and characters so they're making you walk instead of letting you hilariously demolish the camp and knock everyone over.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Poil posted:

Red Alert is better and more fun than Command and Conquer. :colbert:

I was about to chime in with how easy a stance that is to hold because only one of them has attack-squid, but then I remembered that it's C&C that has gap generators, which is just such a cool concept / phrase that it bumps it up to a contentious opinion that I agree with. On 'paper', RA3 is the best game of all of them, you can load bears into a tank and shoot them at the enemy. Unfortunately it also has an army of Weebs with a full on anime girl superhero unit. I suspect I would have LOVED the co-op campaign stuff in RA3, but honestly the single player missions were such a disappointment I couldn't bring myself to force it on a friend.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

I was about to chime in with how easy a stance that is to hold because only one of them has attack-squid, but then I remembered that it's C&C that has gap generators, which is just such a cool concept / phrase that it bumps it up to a contentious opinion that I agree with.

It was RA that had gap generators. And later mobile gap generators. Basically all of the cool poo poo was in RA, including flying saucers, attack dolphins/squid, and time troopers that kill units by traveling back in time and like killing their parents or something

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
The first Red Alert is the best and they just got too silly after that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Laslow posted:

The universal scaling makes the game boring as gently caress.

Everything is too easy, but instead of finding harder guys to fight, you just get the same guys with a wasp model instead of a crocodile model.

Have you tried just fighting faster

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I liked red alerts and cncs video cut scenes, and how they're all part of the same universe. Kane is the guy who kills the chick who kills Stalin at the end of red alert, and Joe Kucan is just hands down my favourite actor because of how much he enjoys and fleshes out his role.

Kane Lives!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

!Klams posted:

I was about to chime in with how easy a stance that is to hold because only one of them has attack-squid, but then I remembered that it's C&C that has gap generators, which is just such a cool concept / phrase that it bumps it up to a contentious opinion that I agree with. On 'paper', RA3 is the best game of all of them, you can load bears into a tank and shoot them at the enemy. Unfortunately it also has an army of Weebs with a full on anime girl superhero unit. I suspect I would have LOVED the co-op campaign stuff in RA3, but honestly the single player missions were such a disappointment I couldn't bring myself to force it on a friend.
Are you suggesting the anime girl superhero unit wasn't a lot of fun to use?

I don't get all the complaining about the campaigns. Of course the co-commander AI isn't going to win the mission for you but they do provide some pressure on the enemy and distracts attacks away from you which is what you can expect (they do benefit from AI bonuses on hard difficulty). If you are disliking the missions and maps I can understand it however. :v:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Poil posted:

If you are disliking the missions and maps I can understand it however. :v:

There weren't enough missions and they were pretty boring and didn't make full use of what they had.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ra3 was stupidly fun with a buddy an thoroughly mediocre without.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A friendly reminder that Just Cause 4 is out in 5 days and it is the #1 "wander around and blow everything up" simulator series

Hmmm...

Just Cause 1: lovely.
Just Cause 2: Good.
Just Cause 3: lovely.

Well, if my calculations are correct, that means Just Cause 4 will be good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just Cause 4 is gonna run like the hottest trash on a base Xbone so I'm just ignoring it for now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Just Cause 4 is gonna run like the hottest trash on a base Xbone so I'm just ignoring it for now

I dunno about Xbone but the featured video on the Steam page is specifically about how they prioritized performance across a spectrum of different systems so I dunno about that. I think they learned from how badly JC3 chugged on anything but the fastest processors.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I like a lot of games that have been written off as bad. One of them is Kane and Lynch 2. It got savaged in the drama about some video game website firing a reviewer for giving it a mediocre review, so everyone just assumed it was terrible.

Actually, it’s really fun. The game is a classic “criminals get caught up in a bad-to-worse-to-worse” situation and the gimmick, which is that it’s kind of like live news coverage, so that nudity and blood get belatedly pixelates out, works. The mechanics are really good, it’s fun to play. I played it through twice on easy, which was still really hard, and I’m normally not terrible, so maybe I play it wrong but fun. In any event, it’s a solid co-op game that runs really well if you and a buddy want to hang out on the couch and play something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I might have played a few minutes of Kane&Lynch co-op with my BIL. It had a vertical split screen? So you couldn't see poo poo, and it was horrible. We then went and fired up Rage co-op, which was super fun and totally sold the game to me.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's somewhat lame and repetitive but Army of Two is some of the best couch coop I've ever played. They crank the goofiness with tricking out the mask and weapons to 11 and I love it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I liked Kane and Lynch 2. I liked that it tried things, it was never boring, it found a new way to convey visual realism, and it was short enough that none of it got tiresome. Kane and Lynch 2: a good game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah I’m pretty sure it defaulted to vertical but you could switch to horizontal. They really did everything possible to make people bounce off it lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first Kane and Lynch game falls apart completely in Cuba but until then its also quite good.

The highlight being the person controlling the crazy guy will occasionally see things in their game that arent there or arent happening, culminating most likely in your coop buddy shooting a shitload of civilians very early on while both you and Kane frantically shout that the cops Lynch is seeing arent real.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thanks to Kane and Lynch, Giantbomb exists

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

poisonpill posted:

I like a lot of games that have been written off as bad. One of them is Kane and Lynch 2. It got savaged in the drama about some video game website firing a reviewer for giving it a mediocre review, so everyone just assumed it was terrible.

Actually, it’s really fun. The game is a classic “criminals get caught up in a bad-to-worse-to-worse” situation and the gimmick, which is that it’s kind of like live news coverage, so that nudity and blood get belatedly pixelates out, works. The mechanics are really good, it’s fun to play. I played it through twice on easy, which was still really hard, and I’m normally not terrible, so maybe I play it wrong but fun. In any event, it’s a solid co-op game that runs really well if you and a buddy want to hang out on the couch and play something.

I think the original Kane and Lynch had the drama surrounding it. 2 just kind of came and went away with no one really giving a poo poo in my memory.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pooch516 posted:

I think the original Kane and Lynch had the drama surrounding it. 2 just kind of came and went away with no one really giving a poo poo in my memory.

I liked this guy's take, it's good because it's an awful game about awful people and it doesn't give a gently caress

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

That’s a good write-up of what I liked about K&L. It really is a singular game, and you could buy a copy for like 7 bucks from every GameStop on the planet from like a month since the game came out.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who liked this game!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

does anyone know what skyrim mod this is https://gfycat.com/AcidicSpotlessGnat

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Persona 5 was the first Persona game I ever really put time into after hearing my friends go on about the series for like 5 years, and the first five hours were great and stylish and the scene where you first awaken and gently caress everyone's poo poo up made realize what I'd been missing this entire time

Then you end up loving around in the minds of a series of people who you decreasingly have a personal stake in a taking down, making their dungeons feel like just so much empty item hunting. Mementos wasn't very rewarding outside of hearing the art kid say "we can get more money" every time you find a chest. To top it all off, to cap off a game about teenage rebellion and breaking free of a corrupt society's standards, your final act of sacrifice and rebellion is to sit around in juvie while your friends twiddle their thumbs and collect signatures. It felt like they were building up to an actual jailbreak, which would've been an exciting and thematically appropriate ending, but nope, you just kind of get out and get in a van. Not mention the mechanism by which you summon a giant gun god is ripped straight out of Elf, despite the game seeming to previously sell the idea that things like public approval and social media won't ever save you if they just serve to keep you inside society's guardrails. The final hours of the game just seem to continually neuter everything you were supposedly trying to do for the 50 hours previous. It left a bad taste in my mouth after such a good start.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol now I'm even more glad I gave up mid way through that game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Confirming my concept of the Persona games as hot angsty nonsense lol

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Persona 5 is pretty stylish and i enjoyed the first dungeon of the game and then got very bored very quickly.

I read on here about someone taking a week off work, rattling through persona 5 in a week and then immediately starting a new game plus and I immediately felt like this person must have an awful life.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just picked up Witcher 3 because everyone's always banging on about how great it is, and, yeah, it's p. good, but Geralt is absolutely unacceptable levels of Mary Sue. EVERY SINGLE conversation is hyper cringeworthy because of him, and it's so bad its definitely never going to be ok. I don't really care about that sort of thing, either, but it's just so horribly OTT I can't really understand how that isn't all anyone ever talks about.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Due to the old rear end Sega Collection releasing on Switch tomorrow I finally decided to give the version I've had on Steam for years a go. I noticed it has Workshop support and figured it might have some amusing hacks. Sure enough, if you want to play as Sailor Moon in Streets of Rage 2 that's easy enough to fix. What I wasn't expecting was the assload of ROMS people have been uploading.
Wanna play Moonwalker? Obviously you do. Just search for it in the workshop and subscribe.

Then fire up the game, locate Ristar in the library and open the mod menu.

Hey presto, in no time you'll be busting out funky moves and saving children from Joe Pesci.

I know this isn't a new thing and whoever is in charge of the game will delete the ROMs from time to time but they keep popping up. I find it funny as hell that Valve is probably the number one distributor of illegal Genesis ROMs. I doubt Sega is even aware of it and also wonder how pissed companies like EA and Konami would get if they found out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's most likely because the collection is just a Genesis emulator with a fancy paint job, so the "mod" is just replacing whatever ROM the game has in its directory.

I'm pretty sure it's the same story with the SNES Classic.

e: also I'm pretty sure Valve has some fine print that exempts them from any responsibility wrt Workshop stuff or mods so they likely know and just don't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I could still see EA trying to sue the poo poo out of Sega over it. The easiest solution would be to just remove the whole Workshop part entirely. Obviously people would easily get around it but then Valve and Sega would be in the clear.