Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Power move

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1068507349650944000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the bugs didn't actually send the asteroid that hit buenos aires.

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1068323471644479488

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 30, 2018

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skex posted:

Yes please continue to repeat this line coming from health industry lobbyists. The reality is that there weren't enough votes for the public option in the Senate. So even if the Obama administration "pre-compromised" the public option away it was more likely an effort to gain some utility out of the situation. And if you are convinced that the Obama administration could have gotten it anyway if they had simply tried harder I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you that the Republicans couldn't even control their members enough to get their kill Obamacare bill through even though that was their entire loving platform for 6 years.

As far as Obama goes, I have zero regrets voting for him, because even if he had accomplished nothing beyond swearing in, him winning was a major advance in social justice simply by being the first non-"white" President. Which meant btw that he was naturally going to be more limited in how far he could shift things to the left.

Also it is not the best look to be demonizing the nation's first black President particularly when to do so you have to willfully ignore the political realities that were facing him, including the near immediate racist backlash that undermined his ability to do anything for 6 years of his Presidency.

Pra pra pra pragmatism strikes again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Your Taint posted:

Did he officially offer Putin the suite or did he just think about it? Because if he just thought about it I'm pretty sure that's not a crime.

I don't think they actually made the offer to Putin and the whole deal was scrapped (or more likely just paused) as soon as the Washington Post revealed the Russians were the source of the email hacks.

BUT when the negotiations involve your people causally throwing around and working towards implementing an absolutely massive FCPA violation you just know there is more rot there. This revelation also shows the Trumps were closely in the loop on the negotiations.

Which makes me think - doesn't Ivanka have a security clearance of some level? If so I suspect that there are a few things missing from the "contacts with foreign nationals" part of her sworn-as-true-and-complete background check paperwork.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Trump wants us to think this is like a sitcom, where he was just a happy developer trying to do something Very Legal and Very Cool for us, but that nosy Robert Mueller almost spoiled the surprise, so he had to keep making up zanier and zanier lies to keep it going, but now it's ruined! Thanks a lot, Witch Hunt! But it's okay, we understand you were trying to do something Very Legal and Very Cool, so we'll forgive all those comedic misunderstandings in the end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Random Stranger posted:

If Trump isn't impeached then the democrats in the house aren't doing their job.

He's not going to be removed from office, but they still need to do it.

Impeachment is political and I think there is an argument to be made that impeaching him would be politically harmful to Democrats. That should really be the only calculus.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1068519955690221571?s=19

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

Impeachment is political and I think there is an argument to be made that impeaching him would be politically harmful to Democrats. That should really be the only calculus.

My first instinct was to say "nah ur dumb" but then I realized the Dems have been doing jack and poo poo the last two years and still won the house so with Pence being the VP and people willing to vote for Dems over Trump without them lifting a finger, maybe?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ladies, gentlemen, I present to you the most legally hosed man in the World.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1068523203272728576

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

At the very least the House needs to proceed with their own real investigations and present evidence to the public before considering impeachment.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ladies, gentlemen, I present to you the most legally hosed man in the World.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1068523203272728576

March is a long way off. Think of all the crimes he can do until then.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

If Trump isn't impeached then the democrats in the house aren't doing their job.

Agreed, if only because it will make GOP Senators have to vote on it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1068486315145134080

Trump, desperate to change the narrative, just did this, and christ knows what he gave up to get a news cycle change.

Also this is subject to congressional approval so trump can suffer the withering defeat of all the states rejecting his giveaway.

About that

loving :lol:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandyMBell/status/1066094111235678213

https://mobile.twitter.com/docjlm/status/1067199808690110464

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1068502770360082432

GOP Rep. Doug Lamborn

quote:

For the first time in a free trade agreement, sexual orientation and gender identity language (SOGI) is contained within President Trump’s U.S.-Mexico-Canada-Agreement (USMCA). At Canada’s insistence, Article 23 of the agreement redefines the word “sex” to include “sexual orientation and gender identity.” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government is calling it a “win” for the LGBT community.

But it is a loss for American sovereignty.
The inclusion of this language may come as a surprise, given the fact that the Trump administration is currently working to create consistent policies regarding SOGI. In October 2017, then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued a memo to U.S. attorneys clarifying that sex discrimination does not encompass gender identity, including transgender status. It is troubling that the USMCA is pushing language contradictory
to this administration’s policies.

Earlier this month I sent a letter to President Trump, along with 45 co-signers from the U.S. House of Representatives, urging him to remove the SOGI language before signing the agreement with President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico and Trudeau on Nov. 30. The United States should protect its sovereignty over the interests of other countries. A trade agreement is no place for the adoption of social policy.

First, as a sovereign nation, the United States has the right to decide when, whether, and how to tackle issues of civil rights, protected classes and workplace rights. This is not an argument regarding the merits of sexual orientation and gender identity protections. Rather, our contention is simply that decisions related to SOGI policies belong to Congress – not to Canada, and not to the U.S. trade representative. It undermines our nation’s sovereignty to needlessly submit to foreign social policy, and further, it unnecessarily politicizes a multilateral trade agreement.
Second, we are concerned that this sets a precedent for activist courts to cite as congressional support for SOGI language once we pass the USMCA.

I am confident that we as a country are dedicated to protecting First Amendment rights for all Americans while respecting dignity for all. SOGI laws and court decisions have too many times been a blunt instrument to protect some at the expense of others. These SOGI laws and court precedents have prevented citizens’ right to run their local schools, charities and businesses in ways consistent with traditional values. The trade agreement’s language does not advance this important debate in a way that allows the elected representatives of the American people to take part.

Finally, the SOGI language in the trade agreement is vague and undefined. “Gender identity” and “sexual orientation” need clear definitions, but who gets to define those terms? This leads to unintended consequences. We’ve seen this time and time again in recent years. Codifying purposefully vague language on such an important issue will only lead to further confusion and division in our society.

The United States should protect its sovereignty over the interests of other countries. A trade agreement is no place for the adoption of social policy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"Listen to me, you fat orange toad. You NEVER cancel meeting with me. If you screw us, then I release piss tape!"

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm, do you think that LGBT protection clause was calculated by Trump as a way to try to get some emergency cred from Dems, or a case of broken clock?

Rigel posted:

"Listen to me, you fat orange toad. You NEVER cancel meeting with me. If you screw us, then I release piss tape!"

In soviet Russia, meeting cancels YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Seriously. What employee thinks they can cancel a meeting with their boss?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Hmm, do you think that LGBT protection clause was calculated by Trump as a way to try to get some emergency cred from Dems, or a case of broken clock?

I assume he just plain got out maneuvered by other countries looking to improve social conditions in a backwards hellstate

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Probably a case of, "Didn't read it, nobody told him it was there."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

My first instinct was to say "nah ur dumb" but then I realized the Dems have been doing jack and poo poo the last two years and still won the house so with Pence being the VP and people willing to vote for Dems over Trump without them lifting a finger, maybe?

Who's mind are you changing by impeaching him? Who's vote are you turning out who isn't already politically activated to vote against him?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

impeaching clinton harmed the republicans because it was so blatantly partisan.

plus during that term his approval rating was constantly in the high 50s to high 60s. trump will never ever sniff those numbers.

impeaching a historically unpopular president would not harm the democrats.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 30, 2018

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

LOL watch the GOP start screaming for impeachment.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think they actually made the offer to Putin and the whole deal was scrapped (or more likely just paused) as soon as the Washington Post revealed the Russians were the source of the email hacks.

BUT when the negotiations involve your people causally throwing around and working towards implementing an absolutely massive FCPA violation you just know there is more rot there. This revelation also shows the Trumps were closely in the loop on the negotiations.

Which makes me think - doesn't Ivanka have a security clearance of some level? If so I suspect that there are a few things missing from the "contacts with foreign nationals" part of her sworn-as-true-and-complete background check paperwork.

There’s a chance that the trump tower meeting involved trump Moscow in exchange for magnitsky sanctions relief. Quid pro quo.

Also we’ve learned of numerous crimes ivanka has done this week - private e-mail server usage for government emails and almost definitely lying on security clearances, most notably.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

calculated by Trump

lol

I'm sure it was Canada that snuck it in there and Trump literally didn't read it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

Who's mind are you changing by impeaching him? Who's vote are you turning out who isn't already politically activated to vote against him?

It's not about changing minds. It's about curtailing damage you dork

Like I said, the real calculus should be "Does what Mueller have implicate Pence also" because Trump is better than Pence

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

I hope someone can get that conversation recorded. That conversation might be interesting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

At Canada’s insistence, Article 23 of the agreement redefines the word “sex” to include “sexual orientation and gender identity.” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government is calling it a “win” for the LGBT community.
I'm glad there's at least one thing my government is doing right.

e: I've also gotten the vibe Trump is generally apathetic about this issue - if he knew about it he probably just forgot it was his party's policy to be against it, and thought it was a win when Canada pushed it as a term since he felt like he wasn't losing anything by accepting it?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 30, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

This is actually kind of funny that Republicans let this slip in there not thinking that it could be used as a cudgel against our regressive anti-LGBTQ policies. Only after they finished it and Trump signed it were they like, "Wait, what? I have to treat them like people?"

Edit: Granted Congress has to ratify it, but lol if they think Donny is going to be okay with them humiliating him by sending it back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's not about changing minds. It's about curtailing damage you dork

Like I said, the real calculus should be "Does what Mueller have implicate Pence also" because Trump is better than Pence

Impeaching him but not removing him is not curtailing much damage. He will do as much damage as senate republicans let him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

If it becomes crystal clear that he has done illegal stuff then they will suffer politically if they don't. The blue wave was clearly a reaction the Trump and the Republicans malificence and if the Democrats decide that they should ignore it they are going to kill motivation for 2020. They will look complicit in the corruption while Republican voters won't care what Trump is doing. They will be lending credibility to the idea that his crimes aren't a problem for the highest governement official.

Also saying "we don't have enough people in our party in the Senate" is Congress admitting justice is entirely political and abdicating any check they have on the executive branch forever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Haha it's the Omnibus Bill all over again. Wonder what else is in it. (So does Trump. Well, "wonder" is a strong word...)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Random Stranger posted:

Impeachment should only go forward if they're sure he'll be removed by the Senate or it'll probably help his reelection chances. We even have recent evidence of this from Clinton's impeachment. Yes, there's a difference here in that he did Real-rear end Crimes rather than lie about an affair, a thing regualr people can understand wanting to do, but being 'cleared' by the Senate is good cover for aww shucks everyday dipshits to support him.

Since the current Senate is so unlikely to vote for removal, I'd like to see him impeached and removed by the incoming congress so he can't even attend the inauguration of President Klobuchar and VP O'Rourke.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol: all these signatures didn't do poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the red box is when the impeachment proceedings happened (ending with acquittal in the senate). the orange line is where 538 has trump's approval rating right now. his disapproval is about 20 points higher (nearly 30 in some polls) than clinton's was.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 30, 2018

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

e: I've also gotten the vibe Trump is generally apathetic about this issue - if he knew about it he probably just forgot it was his party's policy to be against it, and thought it was a win when Canada pushed it as a term since he felt like he wasn't losing anything by accepting it?

He almost definitely has no idea what's in the agreement aside from maybe a very broad stroke, extremely simplified overview. He very definitely doesn't know a thing about any deep cut provisions like that.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

GHOST_BUTT posted:

We're gonna look like idiots when Buenos Aires gets hit and we all laughed away the idea of a Space Force

Wake up sheeple the meteor was only CG the Federation did it to themselves

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Learned something new today. I honestly did not know it was illegal for a businessman or a company to bribe a foreign leader or government official to help their own business. Sure, it might be illegal in THEIR country, and we obviously have a problem with a company bribing our politicians, but I didn't think we cared about a company doing business in Russia bribing Putin to open a hotel. Sure, its a problem if you are running for office or are elected, but its apparently illegal even if Trump never ran for office.

That said, the law seems to treat "greasing the skids" different from bribery. If its not illegal to pay an official to do his job quicker (ie put your business at the front of the line to do what they eventually would have gotten around to doing), and if its a commonly accepted practice over there, then we'll allow it, but if a payment by an American company is illegal in their country even if they never enforce their own law, then we can go after them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao that is how you do a headline

https://twitter.com/bethfertig/status/1068528965663498240

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you gave Trump a calculator he couldn't even calculate 8008135

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Radish posted:

Also saying "we don't have enough people in our party in the Senate" is Congress admitting justice is entirely political and abdicating any check they have on the executive branch forever.

Why would Republicans care about that? They can shut down anything progressives want by only approving judges who worship at the altar of Lochner, which they'll have the power to do because they'll control the Senate for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Radish posted:

If it becomes crystal clear that he has done illegal stuff then they will suffer politically if they don't. The blue wave was clearly a reaction the Trump and the Republicans malificence and if the Democrats decide that they should ignore it they are going to kill motivation for 2020. They will look complicit in the corruption while Republican voters won't care what Trump is doing. They will be lending credibility to the idea that his crimes aren't a problem for the highest governement official.

Of course justice is entirely political.