Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Matt Gaetz might be the stupidest motherfucker in Congress and that is saying something, considering it also contains Ted Yoho and Louie Gohmert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's not about changing minds. It's about curtailing damage you dork

Like I said, the real calculus should be "Does what Mueller have implicate Pence also" because Trump is better than Pence

Pence will never be president. If 2/3 of the Senate convicts Trump*, what he did was so bad and wide-ranging that it will have dragged down Pence with it.

* they won't.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Are people still trotting out the tired old "But Trump's Base" argument as a reason why Dems shouldn't do something (like, say, impeaching Trump for his numerous crimes)?

Trump's base isn't worth worrying about because they're not going to get any more fired up than they already are. This is because they're almost always 100% fired up anyways; they exist in a perpetual state of anger and perceive themselves as being routinely persecuted, so the flames of their anger are burning right from the start.

It doesn't matter what the Dems do, the people that are slavishly devoted to Trump will find some way to stoke the fires regardless. Nobody in their right mind should ever worry about what impact impeaching Trump will have on the insane people that make up his base (beyond law enforcement experts, who in the aftermath will likely have their hands full with more shooters and pipe bomb mailers, unfortunately).

Which is why we also have to get fired up and be just as vocal about progressive policies. The more we call our representatives, the more clear the writing on the wall will be for them in 2020. The momentum of this years midterms cannot be lost in the noise of the CHUDs. They are in the minority and liberals need to start shouting louder and keep loving shouting. Call your rep and senator every drat day. More than once if need be. Call your state reps too. Your City Council. EVERYONE!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There is no loving way that the majority of this country even knows what impeachment is. Not a chance.

If they were alive in the late 90s there's no way they don't and young people aren't idiots.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Radish posted:

young people aren't idiots.

Ehhhhhhhhh...depends on the young people.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Skex posted:

Also it is not the best look to be demonizing the nation's first black President particularly when to do so you have to willfully ignore the political realities that were facing him, including the near immediate racist backlash that undermined his ability to do anything for 6 years of his Presidency.

When people talk about the cynical weaponization of identity politics, this is exactly that poo poo they're talking about. This is a pretty naked example of it; in a conversation entirely about policy and procedure, you cannot help but also inject "And also, he was black, you know, so I'm going to imply you might be seen as racist, or racially insensitive, because other criticism of him was racialized."

Skex, do you realize that it makes it hard to believe that you genuinely care about the fate of persons of color in this country when you do things like this?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Comey's motion to quash the house subpoena is set for a hearing in front of a Federal judge this afternoon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
"He signed away the only way to make the ACA work in exchange for literally loving nothing, but he made me feel good!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mdemone posted:

Pence will never be president. If 2/3 of the Senate convicts Trump*, what he did was so bad and wide-ranging that it will have dragged down Pence with it.

* they won't.

Why do you believe Pence will be implicated in any way whatsoever, much less to the extent required for him to be impeached and removed as well as Trump?

edit: if, hypothetically we had proof that Pence also did all the crimes, which I seriously doubt, the GOP will let him be president long enough to pick a new VP before they move on him.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rigel posted:

Why do you believe Pence will be implicated in any way whatsoever, much less to the extent required for him to be impeached and removed as well as Trump?

Because Pence was Manaforts man. They turned around the plan to go get him lol. He is definitely dirty. Also, Pence was involved somehow with Flynn.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Off topic but does anyone have handy the chart that shows taxes return on investment re: food stamps/SNAP vs tax cuts?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Radish posted:

If they were alive in the late 90s there's no way they don't and young people aren't idiots.
That's a bold statement about a country where most people don't believe in evolution and like 25% aren't entirely onboard with heliocentrism either.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/scontorno/status/1067454148302553088

you've got to love this country

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Gaetz was probably shithoused.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rigel posted:

At this point impeachment is inevitable, it is obvious that Mueller is going to have evidence that Trump and his idiot offspring did all the crimes.

It does not make sense at all to start the process now. Wait till Mueller is done and issues his report. (Or if Trump fires him, then bring Mueller in to testify first)

Oh no, I agree with this, I'm just wondering why people would claim it'll fire up Trump's base as a reason why it shouldn't be done. "Oh no, it might rile up some angry old people and some genuinely insane white supremacists, who even if it didn't happen would just find other reasons to be angry and lash out anyways? Better not do it then!" :rolleyes:

friendbot2000 posted:

Which is why we also have to get fired up and be just as vocal about progressive policies. The more we call our representatives, the more clear the writing on the wall will be for them in 2020. The momentum of this years midterms cannot be lost in the noise of the CHUDs. They are in the minority and liberals need to start shouting louder and keep loving shouting. Call your rep and senator every drat day. More than once if need be. Call your state reps too. Your City Council. EVERYONE!

This too. Centrist :decorum: has no place in modern politics any more.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

friendbot2000 posted:

Because Pence was Manaforts man. They turned around the plan to go get him lol. He is definitely dirty. Also, Pence was involved somehow with Flynn.

This seems like wishful thinking to me. I've never seen anything suggesting that Pence was involved in Trump's crimes other than people yelling "but, he had to have also been involved, right?"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Also it's Obama's fault for hurricane Katrina.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
does somebody have that tweet like

Manafort chanting crimes
Others chanting crimes
Trump banging clipboard chanting crimes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1068540083530289154

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Radish posted:

Then the Democrats should use it as such. If they don't that will certainly be used against them since the majority of this country believes the process of impeachment is one of the checks that is supposed to maintain a balance of power within the government and keep things clean.

Using it as such means not using it unless they're sure it'll give them a political advantage. I don't think it will unless they can guarantee the votes to impeach and remove and I'd be absolutely overjoyed to be proven wrong, though I don't have that much faith in my fellow citizens.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ice Phisherman posted:

Also it's Obama's fault for hurricane Katrina.

Keep in mind a majority of republicans think this

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That is an extremely baller trophy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rigel posted:

Because Manafort picked him and everything Manafort does is a crime.

I'm being glib but the fact that Pence brought Flynn on board hints to me that he knew more about what was going on with Russia than he's ever since claimed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lol what a piece of poo poo, no wonder he got owned by a geriatric social democrat.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This too. Centrist :decorum: has no place in modern politics any more.

The amount of engagement for liberalism is absolutely surreal sometimes. 60 million votes were cast for Democratic candidates this midterm election. Think about that. 60 Million+ votes that can be harnessed for positive change in this country. Our message needs to be clear and not just yelled on these dead gay forums. Liberals will no longer tolerate running to the right. The key to realizing that is to constantly be nipping at the heels of our elected officials. I think the reason Republicans are so slavishly devoted to their base is that they know that if they cross them then they will be primaried. The Tea Party was evidence of that. Also...being a ghoul helps too, but I digress.

Republicans are a lot more engaged with their Representatives than Democrats and that needs to change for Progressive Policies to start getting pushed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Order of the Aztec Eagle" would be a killer name for a rock band.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1068540914304471042?s=19

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

these things are just low key uses for influencing narcissist autocrats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C8%99escu#Honours_and_awards among other hilarious ones

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rigel posted:

Comey's motion to quash the house subpoena is set for a hearing in front of a Federal judge this afternoon.

This will be 3pm ET

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

uggy posted:

does somebody have that tweet like

Manafort chanting crimes
Others chanting crimes
Trump banging clipboard chanting crimes

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That is an extremely baller trophy.

Dang millenials and their participation trophies

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
It was funny watching CNN and CNBC side by side at the gym this morning. CNBC was talking about someone who predicated Trump would get a deal with Xi while CNN was talking about Trump be rattled and disturbed over Mueller and Cohen.

I'm assuming Xi's just gonna throw Trump a few bones while getting the majority of what he wants while Trump crows about what a great deal maker he is (like always).

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Neto has to be one of the most useless human beings ever born. Between letting Trump visit Mexico without getting rebuked during the 2016 campaign and awarding Kushner this honor, it’s hard to think he doesn’t love The Donald.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Jr is definitely indictable

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1068541414131126272?s=21

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

AOC's lottery number is right about in the middle. So, she won't get one of the few offices left in the best building, but she probably will get one of the least-crappy offices that are still available in the undesirable office buildings.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1068542634883497984

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Using it as such means not using it unless they're sure it'll give them a political advantage. I don't think it will unless they can guarantee the votes to impeach and remove and I'd be absolutely overjoyed to be proven wrong, though I don't have that much faith in my fellow citizens.

The Republicans impeached without the Senate votes they had total control over the Federal government for 6 years. The idea that there is a political price to pay for starting the process and having it fail in the Senate has no backing in reality. Playing safe doesn't motivate voters and the Republicans are coming out in 2020 to defend Trump no matter what. The Democrats were voted in specifically to deal with Trump and "well the political reality is..." is not an excuse anyone cares about hearing or will help them whatsoever. There will never be 2/3 of the Senate in Democratic control so if the Democrats are saying they will not impeach Trump for any reason they will not be rewarded and will only take heat as not doing what they were elected to do.

Also the only way you aren't aware the concept of impeachment exists is if you literally did not watch TV at all between the years of 1998 and 2000. People born late enough to not have a concept of that time and have no interest in politics whatsoever aren't a huge block of voters.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lightning Knight posted:

Um, do you still want to toxx then?

I'll :toxx: for the remaining $80 if it happens today, though it'll probably be to a Canadian charity (Canadian Civil Liberties Union) so I at least get a tax receipt for it. I'll see if any good ones pop up that are refugee-centric.

mod sassinator posted:

Maybe they know something we don't. :tinfoil:

edit: kitten tax

I'm well past Q, but I'm Canadian, so I'm Zed not Zee.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Brony Car posted:

Neto has to be one of the most useless human beings ever born. Between letting Trump visit Mexico without getting rebuked during the 2016 campaign and awarding Kushner this honor, it’s hard to think he doesn’t love The Donald.

He approval rating is in the teens and this was most likely a FU to his successor (and to Mexico in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone in the world hates Trump, especially non US citizens. Why the gently caress do politicians worldwide keep tripping over their own dicks to bend the knee to him?