Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The only problem I remember having with it was that most areas felt extremely linear, but now that I think about it, the fact it finally had a mini-map just dispelled the illusion I had that places had much larger walkable ground-space.

e: regarding FFX, also last time I played it was in the early 00's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The only problem I remember having with it was that most areas felt extremely linear, but now that I think about it, the fact it finally had a mini-map just dispelled the illusion I had that places had much larger walkable ground-space.
I think that probably had a lot to do with it, yeah. Most JRPGs of the time weren't actually all that different. Plus, most areas were roughly net-shaped anyway, if you looked at the map as a whole, so I always felt there were enough alternate paths to explore even if it was a literal pilgrimage from A to F by way of C, D and E.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Whatever vocal hate X got largely came from the minority of some core fans who hated change, but yeah in general it was enormously well-reviewed and liked already back at launch. It's certainly never been particularly divisive or controversial, unlike X-2 which got a fair heaping of both and which people seemed to only come to appreciate years later.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks for clearing that up, then. Apparently, I got a very filtered view of what people really thought of it back in the day. Well, that makes the recommendation count double, then! It's also on Steam these days, so no messing around with emulators unless you really want to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since we're on the subject of long-running classic JRPG series, which of the Dragon Quest games are still worth playing, and in what versions?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dragon Quest 9 for the classic DS is definitely really good if you like story-light games and job systems. I think the 3DS is backwards compatible with it? Don't quote me on that, though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

exquisite tea posted:

FFX is like the third best-selling FF of all time and widely beloved by pretty much everyone. The Something Awful forums, which contain all 12 people who have played Alpha Protocol, are not the most representative segment of the gaming population at large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTR0EUm9lnw

There are dozen (+1) of us!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Since we're on the subject of long-running classic JRPG series, which of the Dragon Quest games are still worth playing, and in what versions?

All of the DS/3DS remakes are good, with the caveat that Dragon Quest VII is basically the most enormous JRPG ever. Like even if you stuck to just the main quest you could still play it for 80-100 hours, easily.

9 is a weird crossbreed of Dragon Quest and something like Diablo, but I remember still having a good time with it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd describe it more as Dragon Quest by way of Final Fantasy 5. There are procedurally generated dungeons, but they're more of a multiplayer feature of sorts and you'll likely never use them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd say 5 is the only "must play" level DQ game if you're not already a DQ fan, and it's a good starting point if you're not super familiar with the series.

For the others: 4 is kind of unique in how it handles the plot (you play a string of scenarios centered around individual characters before they finally meet up and form a party), 6 has some fun characters and an odd plot but didn't grab me, and right now I'm playing 7, which as mentioned above is massively long, but justifies the standard DQ plot problem of "let's save the world, but we should bumble around from town to town fixing unrelated problems for 30 hours first" about as well as it can be justified. 1-3 are only worth playing if you have a need for nostalgia gaming, as anything they do gameplay- or plot-wise gets done better by a later entry. I actually haven't played 8 but the consensus among all the DQ fans I know is that it's their favorite.

I'd agree with what everybody's said about 9, it's pretty light on story and in general kind of a different feel than most of the main line games, but has a reasonably fun class system and lots of hunting for crafting materials, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Oh and in general, somebody can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure every single remake in the DQ line is superior to the original release in some way or another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree with what everybody's said about 9, it's pretty light on story and in general kind of a different feel than most of the main line games, but has a reasonably fun class system and lots of hunting for crafting materials, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
FWIW, that cuts in both directions. I didn't enjoy DQ11 quite as much as I thought I would, because DQ9 was my first contact with the series and I thought it was more representative than it is. So, you know, keep that in mind if it's the first you pick up and find that you really really like it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

FFX is like the third best-selling FF of all time and widely beloved by pretty much everyone. The Something Awful forums, which contain all 12 people who have played Alpha Protocol, are not the most representative segment of the gaming population at large.

Stop doing this irritating thing please

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Does La Mulana 2 have a controller patch yet?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shibawanko posted:

Does La Mulana 2 have a controller patch yet?
The patch that just came out is supposed to help with gamepad compatibility: https://steamcommunity.com/games/835430/announcements/detail/1719708631739956907

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Only downside of FFX was the "don't get zapped by lightning" minigame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Only downside of FFX was the "don't get zapped by lightning" minigame.

Unskippable cutscenes is much more pressing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barudak posted:

Unskippable cutscenes is much more pressing.

A Japanese man worked very hard on those cutscenes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

400 underpaid Japanese interns worked very hard on those cutscenes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nah ff10 was developed in a time before hundreds of freshly-minted keyboard jockeys worked in individual departments that never communicate with each other

however tetsuya nomura was still there to hem and haw and make the artists miserable

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

however tetsuya nomura was still there to hem and haw and make the artists miserable
Now I have a mental image of artists slaving at their workspaces in bondage gear, tied to their chairs with dozens of belts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Now I have a mental image of artists slaving at their workspaces in bondage gear, tied to their chairs with dozens of belts.

I think that's just deviantart meetups

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

"Make it all belts" "gently caress you, we'll make it all off-screen is what we'll do" is still one of my favourite behind-the-scenes bits of game development.

My absolute favourite is the one of a game that would crash to DOS reliably but no one could figure out how to stop it, so they changed the crash error message to "Thank you for playing!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

My absolute favourite is the one of a game that would crash to DOS reliably but no one could figure out how to stop it, so they changed the crash error message to "Thank you for playing!"

That was the original Wing Commander. What would happen is when the player quit the game it would consistently crash, but they didn't know how to fix it in the time they had before shipping. So seeing as the game was quitting properly anyway and nothing was breaking (as far as the player would ever see), they just rewrote the error alarm to "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Old School Final Fantasy chat tip. I recently played both Final Fantasy VII and VI for the first time (ok most of VI, im in the world of ruin which is like 40 hours in and I needed a break)

Anyway, I first tried to play these games on my own, no guide or anything, but quickly got frustrated, stumbling into areas with random encounters or bosses that would just obliterate my party because I didn't have [insert obscure potion, materia, esper, weapon here]. Or I would wonder around for an hour or so because the game wasn't clear about where I should go, and the over-world map is a bunch of pixels.

So do yourself a favor, and don't feel bad about having to glance at an online guide every now and then. I found that it made those games immediately more fun, at least for me, to look at a guide anytime I got stuck or felt things were getting a bit too hard.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 29, 2018

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Red Dead Online tip:

* During character creation you get to assign two extra stat points to either health, stamina, or dead-eye. Put them in health, or at least don't put them in stamina, you'll level up stamina just from running around which is frequent, and dead-eye gets leveled up from using it.

I honestly don't know how health gets leveled up, gonna guess from ranking up, either way I'm already at stamina level 8 from a base of I think 5 just by dicking around most of yesterday, so using those bumps on stamina is a trap. That's the only solid tip I have at the moment, but I thought I should mention it early before people create characters and potentially squander the free stat boost.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Darksiders 3
Yeah it’s new and it doesn’t seem like very many people are playing it, but does anyone here know what the point of no return is? It feels like I’m getting close to the end with only 2 Sins left to kill, but I was wondering if there was an obvious “go back and finish all collecting and exploring before you do..” point??

To add a couple of things that weren’t immediately obvious to me when I started:

Nephelim’s Respite works like Estus Flasks do. Don’t waste souls on buying healing items from Vulgrim.

Weapon enhancements can be easily swapped to another weapon with no penalty, so don’t worry about where you stick them.

If you die your souls can be found floating near the spot you died, and you have two deaths to reclaim them before they disappear forever.

Also, I know this isn’t really the thread for this, but I can’t believe this game has been getting poo poo on so hard. It’s actually pretty drat good and I’ve only had one instance of buggy/sound popping in and out in ~12 hours of play on a PS4 pro, so I’m not seeing any of the complaints about terrible bugs and crashes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any tips for Nioh?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stats essentially don't matter except as minimum requirements for equipment, getting better loot is how you actually get stronger, reforging for superior modifiers is the god strategy. Treat it like playing a Diablo game with Soulsborne combat and you basically know what it's about and how to succeed.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I picked up Monster Hunter World and I'm completely lost after playing for a couple hours. I've tried looking up beginner info, I think I need to try different weapons and find something I'm comfortable-ish with but beyond that I'm clueless - there's just been an overwhelming amount of information dumped on me that I wasn't sober enough to process at the time. Any tips?

e: the structure seems to be throwing me off more than anything. Potentially dumb observation, but I was expecting it to be more of an open world than mission-based with open areas. Should I just keep progressing through the 'story' or main quests or whatever, and when/how can I start doing multiplayer?

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 30, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I picked up Monster Hunter World and I'm completely lost after playing for a couple hours. I've tried looking up beginner info, I think I need to try different weapons and find something I'm comfortable-ish with but beyond that I'm clueless - there's just been an overwhelming amount of information dumped on me that I wasn't sober enough to process at the time. Any tips?

FULL DISCLOSURE: This is from memory so a few small details may be incorrect, like terminology

Step one is finding what weapon type you like to use the most. There's a training area that you can access inside your little "house" or whatever the game calls it. Just talk to the cat in there. I'd also suggest watching videos from this playlist in order to get more of an idea of what the weapons are capable of.

After you do this, go to the blacksmith and see what you need to kill in order to upgrade your weapon. You can either just walk around and find those creatures, or you can initiate a hunt mission to specifically target that creature. The latter is probably your best bet as you can get additional item rewards for completing a specific hunt. There's three dudes standing around right near the main gate of the town, one of those guys is who you talk to about missions to hunt specific creatures. You acquire these missions automatically by just fighting and killing monsters out in the world, whether it be during a mission or an expedition.

For the most part though I would just do the story missions. Keep in mind that there's no reason to min/max until you get to the "High Rank" missions which is essentially the other half of the game. You'll know when it happens. All equipment has a low rank version and a high rank version and eventually you will get to the point where literally all low rank gear is worthless so don't spend too much time grinding out low rank gear.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

e: the structure seems to be throwing me off more than anything. Potentially dumb observation, but I was expecting it to be more of an open world than mission-based with open areas. Should I just keep progressing through the 'story' or main quests or whatever, and when/how can I start doing multiplayer?

90% of your time is spent in missions. You can do stuff in the open world if you want to but there's not really an incentive to do this.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 30, 2018

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for A House of Many Doors? It feels like another Sunless Sea but I am here for that. However I don't really feel like fumbling around for the first three hours till I figure out how all the mechanics work and what the developers intend for me to be doing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Okay so Monster Hunter is a very oddly-structured game, to the point where it's essentially its own genre of 'prepare, hunt big monster, go back home to prepare' that is one of those styles that doesn't have a name, except that it's a MH-game.

You should be able to do multiplayer immediately, however you can't do multiplayer in a story mission you haven't completed yet. To do so, speak to your mission handler and either look for SOS flares (these are shot up by players mid-mission and tell the server they want to open the mission up for multiplayer) or ... I forget the other option but its essentially looking for missions that players currently have open, but have not left for yet (they're still milling about in town). Incidentally if you're in a non-story mission and want to do multiplayer, fire up your own flare and hopefully someone will join to help out. Just know that the monster health is rebalanced for more players.

The loop is pretty simple:
- While in town, pick a mission to take, either a story mission to progress the plot, or a side mission to beat up monsters and get their materials.
- Prepare for your target by equipping stuff and eating food (eating food gives you buffs and should be done every time)
- Go out to the mission. Kill/Capture the monster, but grab plants and minerals and such while doing so.
- Receive rewards and return to town.
- Use these rewards to craft armor and weapons to help you in further hunts

Don't try to craft all armors, or all weapons, unless you're crazy and want to spend literally over a thousand hours doing so. Try out a couple weapons, maybe look up videos of them online if you're so inclined (there are many to find). Find one that has a style you enjoy, as they all handle quite differently.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Monster Hunter series of games are basically all about grinding your way to level 60 MMO-style except instead of XP, you get monster bits and instead of levels, you get better equipment from the monster bits you grind.

If that kind of general "watching your numbers get bigger" gameplay loop sounds at all appealing to you, then Monster Hunter is the best series about doing that by way of having epic fights with giant-rear end lizard monsters that you could hope to find.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Wrr posted:

Does anyone have any tips for A House of Many Doors? It feels like another Sunless Sea but I am here for that. However I don't really feel like fumbling around for the first three hours till I figure out how all the mechanics work and what the developers intend for me to be doing.

It feels like Sunless Sea because the developer's literal goal was "Sunless Sea, but less mechanically punishing so you can still see the stories without having to savescum/restart", and then Failbetter Games came in and said "OK, that's reasonable, let us help you program that." Basically there's very little you can do to permanently screw yourself over, so feel free to explore. As for general tips, here's what I remember:

• Insanity is way less of an issue than in Sunless Sea; there are some negative events, but for the most part you can travel around at low/no sanity with no real downside except being unable to talk to your crew. There are even a few benefits to discover!
  • Getting blown up in combat is generally speaking the only way to actually game over. Getting a second cannon as soon as possible is a good idea.
  • Your starting crew is intentionally awful, and their only real benefit is the rewards from their personal quests (and that some are so drunk/apathetic that they'll keep functioning at lower sanity than more "normal" crew). Replace them with literally anyone else when you can, you can always get them back when you want to do their quest.
  • Exception to the above: your starting seer lady will fall into a coma when you start her quest, and will die if you kick her off the ship before she wakes up. So, uh, probably don't do that.
  • Experience is gained by spending time at your house in the capital turning memory items into poems; AFAIK there's no real effect to time advancing, so just spend them all.
  • Money is generally gained either from doing newspaper articles, selling found items, or doing the few profitable trade routes that are available. Note that again unlike Sunless Sea none of the trade routes have intentional/hidden downsides or will go away; if you want to run a trade caravan, the develop has no qualms about letting you do so, so buy cheap/sell high to your heart's content.
  • Specific trading tip: from what I recall trading Laudanum between the Poet Knights and their adjacent City was a very quick way to rack up more money than I really knew what to do with.
  • You will quickly unlock a side-quest to open a museum of your findings. You may be tempted to ignore the warnings and fill it with all the cursed occult junk you collect. This is a Bad Idea.
  • Save any capital-K Keys you find. You will need more than one.
  • Available romance options include an oil derrick, the last of the great clown detectives, and ten thousand crows. Basically just go with the flow and don't worry about it too much.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Nick Buntline posted:

Available romance options include an oil derrick, the last of the great clown detectives, and ten thousand crows. Basically just go with the flow and don't worry about it too much.

:allears: As someone who has never heard of this game, that is an amazing sentence right there.

Parasite Eve II
- In addition to the Black Card referred to in other tips for this game, you should also try to find most of the gear in the first area. Sure the plot takes the gear itself away from you, but the compensatory items are pretty drat good as well.
- There are four items in the game that have ???s for their use/attach effects. Their attach effects are better than the use effects, full stop.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything I should know going into the new Spider-Man?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nohman posted:

- Go through the story until you unlock all of the minigames and side stuff, then wander as much as you want. At the very least you want to unlock the towers so you can fast travel.

- Web enemies that are on the ground or those that you can kick into objects to stick them there.

- The gadgets are useful but the game isn't hard enough that they are mandatory, so pick whatever suit and upgrade paths you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nohman posted:

If you care about getting Platinum use your challenge tokens to buy all the suits before upgrading any of your gadgets. Getting Gold on challenges is hard as hell, but you can get Platinum with mostly Silvers as long as you prioritize suits.

Get the upgrade that improves your Spider-Sense ASAP. Its super useful.

Otherwise its really hard to go wrong. Its a really fantastic game and nothing's missable or anything.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The map does a great job laying everything required for each district. You might to want chase crimes as they pop up since you have to do a minimum amount for each district and it'll feel like even more of a grind if you put it off too much.

Most important tip: If/when the QTE prompts start feeling annoying, you can disable them and the puzzles in the option menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

The wiki page has good stuff, I'd like to reiterate the tip on using loadouts, you can make equipment loadouts and also item loadouts. I'll be honest I forget the exact location in the menus or buttons you need to press but the one big trick for finding poo poo like that is there is always a button prompt somewhere that tells you what a button does, like if you're looking at items and triangle/Y opens the loadout menu, that'll be displayed like at the bottom, so just scan the screen in menus like that and you'll find helpful poo poo like that, for instance reorganizing your quick item slots which is saved to the loadouts, also the item wheels and such are saved to that too. You can also assign crafting to an item wheel position, so like you can only bring 3 of a thing but you can bring ten of its ingredients, well now you can make them on the fly and effectively have 13 of them.

Several functionality things will open up in the hub as you progress, some are rewards tied to side quests, when you look at the quests rewards should be listed, I forget if they're explicit or not, but for instance that's how you increase what the canteen can make (always eat before you leave) and gain farming so you can grow mushrooms, bugs, or other plants. You can't grow dung or ivy though, so always grab that poo poo when you see it in the wild.

Talk to the guy sitting on the pile of books to the left when you enter the hub after hunts, that'll add info to your bestiary. Also slightly to the left and closer than that guy when you enter is the Resource Center, which is 3 NPCs that manage bounties, investigations, and deliveries. Bounties are passive quests like collect 10 honey or kill 5 monsters, you have to select them to activate them and you might have to tab through to get the available ones, I forget. Investigations are basically ways to farm monsters you've already fought, as side quests and quests have diminishing returns on repeat runs. You select them from the Resource Center and they'll be available on your quest board, eventually you'll have to start deleting the ones you don't like although they might've fixed some of this since I played. Sometimes those will have different conditions like less time or fewer lives, it'll be mentioned on and also it'll show what kind of awards you can get.

So eventually you'll be hitting those two guys up, then the smithy, then loving with your stuff to plan the next hunt, eat, then go hunt. Maybe get in a group in the middle of that too. There's other things but that's the basic gist, right now there's a winter event going on so that's a thing. Oh, any item that's labeled as a Trade-In item can be sold for cash, if you go to your main item stock and hit sort it should put those all at the end. Otherwise you'll probably want to keep a healthy stock of all the other things for crafting gear.

Oh yeah, learn how to pet the pig, always pet the pig. He is Poogie and he is the best.