Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Naked Bear posted:

Gonna have to disagree here simply because the stetson is at least functional.

Agreed, I never wear my stetson but I'd wear my stetson over the beret anytime. If your beret isn't green it isn't worth wearing.

Really the only good headgear in the Army is the patrol cap and the beanie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Boonie hat best hat.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

Boonie hat best hat.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm a fan of the OR thermal cap that was designed to be worn under your helmet which they would never actually let you wear under your helmet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wore my boonie until they wouldn't let us. Then I just wore a patrol cap when I was on any COP that wasn't ours.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I wear my old woodland boonie cap when I'm in the mountains. Shade for my head, plus it makes everyone I come across assume that I'm up there to go fishing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I remember getting my bags and wearing my PC in the garrison beret days and having some dumb gently caress E7 with no goddamn combat patch screaming at me for wearing it in garrison. Our CG instructed it for reverse srp. I literally got off the loving bus and was in the barracks though.

Im so glad Im out.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soulex posted:

Im so glad Im out.

:same:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I wore my boonie until they wouldn't let us. Then I just wore a patrol cap when I was on any COP that wasn't ours.

The boonie cap was great for trolling SNCOs because they all universally hated it, but it was specifically mandated by our brigade to protect people from the sun. "Sorry top, brigade's tired of Joes showing up to the aid station with turbo cancer sunburn."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why the gently caress do army people care so much about fashion?

In five years as a merchant marine officer, the only time I berated someone for their attire (PPE excluded) was the time my AB showed up on watch with his balls hanging out of his daisy dukes.

The balls were saggy and hairy and the daisy dukes had dancing teddy bears on the rear end.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Soulex posted:

Im so glad Im out.

Hey that reminds me, time to clean up my google contacts

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Queen Combat posted:

Hey that reminds me, time to clean up my google contacts

So drat glad I retired before cell phones were a thing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I know we had work/life balance chat before, but let me say this:

The mentality of having to work 24 hr ops before you are in the field because your boss has no impulse control is loving stupid and needs to die. And if I hear 'just knock out the high priority stuff' from people who treat every tasking as a life-death situation then I'm going to slap someone with a stapler.

I know that the old saying 'this isn't the Army I joined' is a cliché, but holy poo poo is it right.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

not caring here posted:

My tank was a second from putting a 120mm sabot into a bradley full of scouts when a brand new butter bar came tearing rear end out into a tank live fire gunnery. Gunner had already had him lazed but thankfully realized what the gently caress he was and threw the gun up and screamed out cease fire.

Scouts must've heard about it because later when I was a scout on they tried to kill me with their bad driving.

jesus

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm changing my phone number when I get out, there's really no other option.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I know we had work/life balance chat before, but let me say this:

The mentality of having to work 24 hr ops before you are in the field because your boss has no impulse control is loving stupid and needs to die. And if I hear 'just knock out the high priority stuff' from people who treat every tasking as a life-death situation then I'm going to slap someone with a stapler.

I know that the old saying 'this isn't the Army I joined' is a cliché, but holy poo poo is it right.

I wish Army leaders would stop lying and saying that family is important - it isn't anymore. Family got tossed to the side a long time ago in order to sustain readiness. The new norm is soldiers missing three Thanksgivings in a row because of deployments and CTC rotations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Triggs posted:

I wish Army leaders would stop lying and saying that family is important - it isn't anymore. Family got tossed to the side a long time ago in order to sustain readiness. The new norm is soldiers missing three Thanksgivings in a row because of deployments and CTC rotations.

I really want to see a study that documents the relationship between the sustained readiness model, morale, and retention because it is such a short sighted concept that is driven entirely by "stats" and colors on trackers. I just finished watching "The Wire" and the phrase "juking the stats" has come into my daily vocabulary.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

J.A.B.C. posted:

'this isn't the Army I joined'

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
good news friends

my new job starting next week is focused almost entirely on readiness

bad news friends

i'm going to find a quantitative way to more efficiently grind you into dust

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pffft, I'm out so I don't give a gently caress

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
N O T H I N G

I S

B E Y O N D

M Y

R E A C H

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Huh, looks like you can skip over orientation then.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
New idea to improve retention: repeal Art. 114 of the UCMJ.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

N O T H I N G

I S

B E Y O N D

M Y

R E A C H

Legalize weed in uniform then mr pentagon dude.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
ahahahahahahahahahahaha

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

Legalize weed in uniform then mr pentagon dude.

The Army would still find a way to ruin it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

"Pringles and Doritos will cease being sold at the Class Six, effective immediately. The USO's 'Dave Supports the Troops' concert series is similarly cancelled. All weed must be smoked in designated smoking areas. All cellophane wrappers are banned from post."

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EBB posted:

Yup, you'd only be able to buy it at the Class VI with approval from your chain of command, after watching the Army produced version of "Reefer Madness". Plus you'd have to wear a road guard vest and submit to weekly bong inspections.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i'm gonna make financial health a thing they track

legit

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Vasudus posted:

legit

If its anything like how the military checks on basic English literacy I look forward to ponzi schemes becoming mandatory as part of military fiscal literacy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

legit

This is amazing. Please let there be a Army Financial Fitness Test that can hold up promotion and awards if you suck at it.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I think giving the army more reason to pry into your personal life sounds like a great idea!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Hey private you went yellow on your FINPROS so we're going to be helping you pawn your poo poo this weekend so we can all go on block leave.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vasudus posted:

legit

Cool cool, so another loving bubble on another loving spreadsheet; another mandatory video that Joe's will have to watch on some broken Army website; a certificate that doesn't interface with any of the dozens of "centralized" training trackers; will need to be updated every 90 days or minutes, whichever is less convenient; and gives commands and personnel more access to the personal financial records of Joes and Janes, especially the lower enlisted (this will never ever be abused by an opportunistic sex pest or scammer SNCO).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
No approved leave unless you have >$1500 in your savings account.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Triggs posted:

You bet your rear end family is important when the FRG wants your SO on the e-mail roster. Or when they hold a unit sale full of kitsch their bored housewives made.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Cool cool, so another loving bubble on another loving spreadsheet; another mandatory video that Joe's will have to watch on some broken Army website; a certificate that doesn't interface with any of the dozens of "centralized" training trackers; will need to be updated every 90 days or minutes, whichever is less convenient; and gives commands and personnel more access to the personal financial records of Joes and Janes, especially the lower enlisted (this will never ever be abused by an opportunistic sex pest or scammer SNCO).

settle down beavis

it won't be anything like that

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Vasudus posted:

settle down beavis

it won't be anything like that

In intent sure, but in effect, I think Wasabi is on point.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
~i'm being intentionally vague for a reason~

edit: i don't fault anybody for immediately thinking that i'm going to be the great satan whispering blasphemy in the ears of people either, but loving lmao like i would seriously push something that could be abused like that

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 30, 2018

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Give it to counter intel who wont give the slightest poo poo about who it is as it'll all just be numbers belonging to people they don't know.

For reals though I think just some faceless number thumping for financial health could potentially be a great idea, because holy poo poo like I want some 19 year old dickhead corporal making life and death decision for me when he's just dropping every cent on juicy girls (again).

Or someone is so in debt that they have no option but to steal. Or someone living so high on the hog that they are probably selling drugs, or guns, or whatever on the side. Or someone spending thousands on military special a month, or stockpiling guns and ammo but somehow doing it while living in the barracks.

gently caress, you could even give preferential duty stations to those with good credit scores, or at the very least people who don't have a history of bad decisions.

Giving it to some fuckin' barely literate idiot NCO in your unit he is probably the worst fuckin' offender, however, is just no bueno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i'm not going to go into further details about the job for obvious reasons

but one of the primary objectives is to identify metrics (of all sorts) and CBTs that actually matter and cut all of the ones that don't, because the opinion at the JCS level is that there's way, way too much poo poo and it needs to get reduced by a considerable margin