Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Dragon's Dogma with Bitterblack Isle.

Do a Bitterblack ASAP run :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Warframe's grind isn't quite as vertical as Diablo 3's or Disgaea's but there's still hella grinding to do if that's your thing.

Also has probably one of if not the best supportive goon communities for new players.

everyburger
Nov 17, 2018

coming here was a mistake
Anyone able to recommend a satisfying grind that will run on a 2011 macbook pro (2.3ghz i5, intel hd 3000 512mb)? been playing a somewhat buggy build of cataclysm dda but am looking for something with a sense of progression.

Never been a mac user so im not all that familiar with whats available on osx.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm looking to fill out my Steam wishlist for the Winter Sale. Name two games on your wishlist, one over $10 and one under $10, that I should add to my list. I already have about 400 games, so this may be tricky.

I like games that are really quirky and offbeat. I can't do FPS's unless they're walking sims, my aim is terrible due to a childhood case of Consolitis.

Faves are stuff like Slay the Spire, Yoko's Island Express, this war of mine and XCOM

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Check out Mutant if you want something akin to xcom, I'd also suggest grabbing a ps4/xbone controller since steam natively has drivers for those and would let you help your consolitis :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Easy Diff posted:

I'm looking to fill out my Steam wishlist for the Winter Sale. Name two games on your wishlist, one over $10 and one under $10, that I should add to my list. I already have about 400 games, so this may be tricky.

I like games that are really quirky and offbeat. I can't do FPS's unless they're walking sims, my aim is terrible due to a childhood case of Consolitis.

Faves are stuff like Slay the Spire, Yoko's Island Express, this war of mine and XCOM

None of these are on my wishlist so I've already failed but:

Besiege($10)--construct Rube Goldberg siege engines to destroy tiny castles
Ittle Dew($10)--top-down Zelda dungeons with smartass humor and secret sequence breaks if you're super leet
Into the Breach($15)--Pacific Rim mini-XCOM where you can see all of the enemy's next actions and must act to counter them
Night in the Woods($20)--the too-real, mostly-mundane melancholy of fuckup animal people in a dying Pennsylvania coal town
Return of the Obra Dinn($20)--investigating a ghost ship and witnessing the grim fates of all its crew, for insurance purposes
Wandersong($20)--side-scrolling adventures of history's most innocent bard, stopping the end of the world by singing at everyone he meets until their problems are solved

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 30, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Easy Diff posted:

Stuff on my wishlist? No clue if stuff here is good or not! But here, okay, have fun: :v:

Telepath Tactics - 15$
Storms of Shambhala - 10$
Bonus:
Judgment Apocalypse - 20$

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Easy Diff posted:

The Age of Decadence - a strange, punishing indie rpg set in a post-apocalyptic Romanesque world (under 20 bucks).
Poly Bridge - a cute, but challenging bridge building puzzle game (under 10 bucks).
Bonus pick:
Freedom Force: Freedom Pack - a small scale real-time tactics game set in the silver age of comics, and it's mechanically superior sequel. (under 10 bucks for both).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I see you have both SteamWorld Digs, so if you want some side-view X-COM action in that universe you can't go wrong with SteamWorld Heist. You do need to do some manual targeting but as I understand it it's got controller support.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nalesh posted:

Check out Mutant if you want something akin to xcom, I'd also suggest grabbing a ps4/xbone controller since steam natively has drivers for those and would let you help your consolitis :v:
Thanks all, most of these suggestions added to my list. I realized, thinking about my favorite games (and favorite playstyles, like pet doctor in D3) that really it's just twitch-agility that I don't like in games. Anything where I can use my brain instead of my fingers is just a better experience for me, because I just don't have (and don't want to develop) the fine motor skills to do shoot-mans.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
If you're looking for offbeat, West of Loathing is a very quirky and funny RPG, that's an offshoot of an ancient browser game. Around :10bux:

INFRA is a first person adventure/walking simulator, that puts you into the boots of an structural analyst. You take photographs of decaying structures, surveying them for repairs. It does eventually get a bit more exciting than that, though. About $30.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Is Deep Rock Galactic any good? Me and my friend just wanna run around and shoot things cooperatively in a Borderlands 2-like. I was really hopeful Fallout 76 would scratch that itch but, well.... we all know how that turned out.

I'd ask their thread but I'm kinda guessing it's biased.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’d like to second age of decadence as weird and good and worth your time

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I see you have both SteamWorld Digs, so if you want some side-view X-COM action in that universe you can't go wrong with SteamWorld Heist. You do need to do some manual targeting but as I understand it it's got controller support.

I disagree with this recommendation. The main problem with the game is that cover is sparse and unreliable. Most floors can be shot through and cover doesn't protect you from the top so enemies can easily flank you by being at a 45 degree angle to you.
Second problem, ricochets are far less useful than the trailers suggest. It's basically impossible to ricochet on purpose at all unless you're using the weapon type designed for it, and half of those weapons don't let you shoot after moving. On top of that, most ceilings and walls are not at useful angles.
Third problem, the balance is complete garbage. It's got an alert level system except it's way too short- you will never finish a mission before enemies start swarming in. This means you are basically required to clear the field every round, and the game knows this so most enemies can be killed in one shot when you're using appropriate gear. Unfortunately the game knows THAT too so it throws lots of them at you. During boss battles. Where the bosses have like 50x the hp of a normal enemy. That's enemy balance. Party member balance is pretty bad too, with some characters being obviously overpowered and others being kindof useless.

I think the only tolerable way to play this is to just put the difficulty at easy and treat it like a casual game.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 30, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

I disagree with this recommendation. The main problem with the game is that cover is sparse and unreliable. Most floors can be shot through and cover doesn't protect you from the top so enemies can easily flank you by being at a 45 degree angle to you.
Second problem, ricochets are far less useful than the trailers suggest. It's basically impossible to ricochet on purpose at all unless you're using the weapon type designed for it, and half of those weapons don't let you shoot after moving. On top of that, most ceilings and walls are not at useful angles.
Third problem, the balance is complete garbage. It's got an alert level system except it's way too short- you will never finish a mission before enemies start swarming in. This means you are basically required to clear the field every round, and the game knows this so most enemies can be killed in one shot when you're using appropriate gear. Unfortunately the game knows THAT too so it throws lots of them at you. During boss battles. Where the bosses have like 50x the hp of a normal enemy. That's enemy balance. Party member balance is pretty bad too, with some characters being obviously overpowered and others being kindof useless.

I think the only tolerable way to play this is to just put the difficulty at easy and treat it like a casual game.

That's weird, I don't remember this happening. What difficulty were you on? I played on Experienced (ie the third of five). As for the ricochets I didn't really bother going for those, just went for headshots.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McFrugal posted:

I'm with Zanzibar Ham here - I also didn't have a problem with that happening, and I was playing on Experienced.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just dropped the game for a lot of the same complaints (and it just not being the type of game I was hoping for-- so many missions felt identical to me, and the game lacks a lot of the charm that sustained me through the mechanically iffy parts of Dig 1&2). Can't remember what difficulty I was on but there were a few missions where it felt like I spent turn after turn inching forward because I kept on getting mobbed by random enemies.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's weird, I don't remember this happening. What difficulty were you on? I played on Experienced (ie the third of five). As for the ricochets I didn't really bother going for those, just went for headshots.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm with Zanzibar Ham here - I also didn't have a problem with that happening, and I was playing on Experienced.

With what happening? The bosses summoning enemies? I was playing on Veteran, the fourth difficulty, which supposedly only increases enemy health and damage.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With the game throwing a ton of enemies during boss battles. I remember it throwing enemies when I was escaping a ship though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

With the game throwing a ton of enemies during boss battles. I remember it throwing enemies when I was escaping a ship though.

Every boss I've fought has summoned waves of reinforcements while I fought them. The QUEEN is the worst about this, summoning several other full bosses alongside the waves of trash. That's where I quit. It was an endurance fight in a game with few sources of healing and lovely cover. I got her health halfway down on my best attempt.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's really strange. I guess I'll retract my rec for now at least until I replay it since I got DLC for it a long while ago but never got to it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's really strange. I guess I'll retract my rec for now at least until I replay it since I got DLC for it a long while ago but never got to it.

Well I mean, one of the bosses only does 1 damage per attack so without reinforcements it'd be a joke fight? Unless the devs released a patch that completely changed the boss encounters I don't see how you could've missed it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

Well I mean, one of the bosses only does 1 damage per attack so without reinforcements it'd be a joke fight? Unless the devs released a patch that completely changed the boss encounters I don't see how you could've missed it.

I was more referring to the waves being huge and having to destroy them completely every round to not get swarmed to death.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Backhand posted:

Is Deep Rock Galactic any good? Me and my friend just wanna run around and shoot things cooperatively in a Borderlands 2-like. I was really hopeful Fallout 76 would scratch that itch but, well.... we all know how that turned out.

I'd ask their thread but I'm kinda guessing it's biased.

I enjoy it pretty well. The only problem I have is that the minigun is kindofa jerk to deal with (inaccurate garbage dps for the first second of any firing burst, then laser-accurate death machine).

Solution: trick a friend into playing the Soldier

Edit: Oh you only have one friend. Even better, pubbies love playing soldier and the community is nice so you can play Scout like the cool kids :coal:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was more referring to the waves being huge and having to destroy them completely every round to not get swarmed to death.

Oh, no, the usual reinforcements in regular missions aren't that big, but arrive every 2 rounds iirc so if you don't take them out immediately you either start getting shot at (which is bad, characters can take 2 hits at most before dying to the next shot and medpacks are single use) or you slow down allowing bigger, actually threatening reinforcements to start coming out. Maybe slowing down is less of an issue on Experienced.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 30, 2018

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I need games that I can play while listening to podcasts or YouTube. So something I can do with a little bit of concentration, but I can still play while dividing my attention. Also the gameplay needs to be not super reliant on sound. And a game without super awesome music, so I dont feel guilty about ignoring it. I played through dark souls like this and have a feeling I missed part of the experience, but I could run around and fight and stuff ok.

On the other hand, picross requires too much of my brain power and I end up ignoring the podcast. It's a tough balance!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo the 3rd.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo the 3rd.

Seconding this.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
That would be perfect, my friends have been bugging me to get it on switch. Can I do my own thing with a character without getting out of sync with a group of friends?

Edit to clarify...can I play on my own with a character and use the same character when I play with friends, or would that desync us? Would I need to only play the character while playing with my friends?

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That would be perfect, my friends have been bugging me to get it on switch. Can I do my own thing with a character without getting out of sync with a group of friends?

Yeah. Once you're 70 (takes about 2hrs), everyone's within a nice range of each other, and if you ever fall behind, your friends can just carry and you catch up quick if you share loot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Easy Diff posted:

Yeah. Once you're 70 (takes about 2hrs), everyone's within a nice range of each other, and if you ever fall behind, your friends can just carry and you catch up quick if you share loot.

Perfect, thanks!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

Yeah. Once you're 70 (takes about 2hrs)

The highest-level character I ever had in Diablo 2 was something like level 67, and that took probably 30+ hours of play. Granted that I wasn't grinding (just playing through Hell difficulty), it's still kind of shocking how differently the two games approach character progression.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, looking to put a little dent in my backlog, I promised myself I would only buy 1 game in the Winter sale for each one I finish before then. What of these recent releases can I play and beat in one 6-hour-ish (or less) sitting?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The highest-level character I ever had in Diablo 2 was something like level 67, and that took probably 30+ hours of play. Granted that I wasn't grinding (just playing through Hell difficulty), it's still kind of shocking how differently the two games approach character progression.

Well, in D3 the game doesn't really start until you hit 70. Essentially, level 1-69 are the two-hour tutorial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tacoma tells a neat little story and can be beaten in under 3 hours.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't played most of those, but Bleed was like an hour long so Bleed 2 is probably doable in not much more time.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Emily is away is extremely short maybe half an hour, depending on your reading speed more than anything else.

Subsurface Circular is only a couple hours long, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Detention is also very short.

Do Hollow Knight in less than 6 hours, learn those sequence breaks

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Easy Diff posted:

This is bullshit in my experience. Being carried is dull as poo poo, and does not feel like playing together.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Emily is away is extremely short maybe half an hour, depending on your reading speed more than anything else.

Subsurface Circular is only a couple hours long, too.

I played and cried at EiA 1, now my loving chest is hitching and I'm almost in tears at 2, because it's so loving accurate.

pun pundit posted:

This is bullshit in my experience. Being carried is dull as poo poo, and does not feel like playing together.
Getting carried is fine, you follow your M6 DH friends, get gold and DBs, and then in like 2 Rifts you have like 4 Zuni's pieces or whatever between drops and Kadala. On Hardcore (dunno if Switch has HC mode), it's an extra level of fun because you have to not die while hoovering up items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Easy Diff posted:

Well, in D3 the game doesn't really start until you hit 70. Essentially, level 1-69 are the two-hour tutorial.

It really bugs me when people say this because it's not really true and makes the game sound awful. While D3 has the most accessible endgame of any ARPG out there IMO, the journey through story mode (bad writing aside) is fun enough on its own, particularly if you're playing casually.