Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tibalt posted:

I feel that the crime Clinton committed (lying about adultery) was humanizing and relatable, and therefore helped him, while the crimes Nixon and Trump appeared to have committed (spying on your opponent to win an election, international bribery)... aren't. We forgave Clinton's coverup because statistically most of us have done the exact same thing.
Most of us, presumably, have not actually had sex with an intern half our age over whom we held significant power.

Remember also that he was credibly accused of sexually harassing several different women as well as actually raping one (who hasn't changed her story in decades of retelling it).

Also he was buddies with Jeffrey Epstein, so who knows what else he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Majorian posted:

Sure, as well as the fact that hey, we seem to constantly be on fire at this point. The lion's share of the 1906 SF quake's devastation was due to the subsequent fire.

Yep. Honestly, emergency services would be so overtaxed idk if they would be able to really be able to contain multiple wildfires if an earthquake of that magnitude happened. Not to mention we have the rear end in a top hat in chief flailing around in his big boy chair screaming about raking as people die...

The Forestry service is so underfunded that a large enough earthquake could set the half the state alight and no one would be able to do anything about it.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 30, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

If a 8+ magnitude earthquake hits California at this point it would be more than LA, no?

Also isn't there volcanoes out there that are due to erupt soon?

No and no.

There are a lot of ways the San Andreas could rupture, usually it goes in sections. It's unlikely the entire thing would rupture, that's not what has happened historically.

For LA specifically, a lot depends on whether the San Andreas ruptures north or south. A quake starts at one point, then propagates along a fault. If a quake goes south, the energy is directed into the Salton Sea and that's not nearly as bad. If it goes north, it's channeled directly into the Los Angeles basin which as I mentioned is basically jello and that would be really bad.

A big quake in LA isn't going to significantly affect SF, for example, or vice versa.

There are a couple big volcanoes in CA (Mt. Shasta way up north for example) but they're far from population centers, quakes are a much larger threat.

The PNW is at much more risk from volcanoes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tibalt posted:

I feel that the crime Clinton committed (lying about adultery) was humanizing and relatable, and therefore helped him, while the crimes Nixon and Trump appeared to have committed (spying on your opponent to win an election, international bribery)... aren't. We forgave Clinton's coverup because statistically most of us have done the exact same thing.

Edit: which is why you should use a condom even in a committed monogamous relationship

I missed this but uhhhhhhh yeah no dude.

:yikes:

^ fair enough!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goddammit. it's really not that hard to not be a sex creep.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't think earthquake risk inherently accumulates. I think saying any are overdue is a gambler's fallacy thing. Like if there is an 15% risk of an earthquake in a 20 year period and there isn't one then the next 20 years there is just another 15% risk, not a 30% risk. I think they just happen sporadically with an average, not like, on a clockwork timetable where one can be late.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

A big quake in LA isn't going to significantly affect SF, for example, or vice versa.

Someone hasn't seen "A View to a Kill.":smug:

...which is good, because that means you won't be able to stop my nefarious plot to flood Silicon Valley and somehow monopolize microchip production!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I 100% believe the accusations but oddly the only people I've seen carrying that story so far are religious websites.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

goddammit. it's really not that hard to not be a sex creep.

Right? I've been a non-sex creep for 34 years straight and I haven't had to put really any thought into it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bernie.. not cool my man

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1068553559086694402

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Alaska has already had 5 strong aftershocks, highest was a 5.8

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

A tsunami in California would help put out the forest fires though.

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, so was Japan, but the scary thing for California is the one-two punch of a quake and a tsunami...

This is important: a major quake in California will not generate a tsunami, period. CA has the wrong type of faults for tsunamis.

The major faults in CA are strike-slip, the motion is horizontal side-to-side. Tsunamis are generated from thrust faults, where one slab is pushed under another, the vertical motion of the seafloor in that situation causes a tsunami.

You could get tsunamis from quakes in the PNW, though.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Incorrect, the Richter scale is indeed logarithmic but it's an increase of 30x for every full point, not 10x like a more standard log scale.

It's also hard to predict how bad the damage of an earthquake will be just based on the Richter magnitude, Richter is just the energy released.

Incorrect. The Richter scale only measures the wave amplitude, not the energy released. These quakes are being measured on the Moment Magnitude scale, on which each point represents a 10x increase in amplitude and 30x increase in energy.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

This is important: a major quake in California will not generate a tsunami, period. CA has the wrong type of faults for tsunamis.

The major faults in CA are strike-slip, the motion is horizontal side-to-side. Tsunamis are generated from thrust faults, where one slab is pushed under another, the vertical motion of the seafloor in that situation causes a tsunami.

You could get tsunamis from quakes in the PNW, though.

Ah, didn't realize this. Thanks for the correction.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

bernie.. not cool my man

lmao loving self-owned.

Majorian posted:

Right? I've been a non-sex creep for 34 years straight and I haven't had to put really any thought into it.

I know you mean well, but we don't need to advertise how we are all the Women Respecters itt.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grandpa! I told you to mute it!:nallears:

(this is pretty endearing, at least in my book)

Lightning Knight posted:

I know you mean well, but we don't need to advertise how we are all the Women Respecters itt.

Sorry, I'm honestly not trying to advertise or brag, although I can see how it came off that way. I'm more just marveling at how hard it is, apparently, to be famous/powerful and not be a non-creep.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ben Cline (VA-06) won the House Office Lottery with #1

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

Grandpa! I told you to mute it!:nallears:

(this is pretty endearing, at least in my book)

I'm honestly not trying to advertise or brag, although I can see how it could come off that way. I'm more just marveling at how hard it is, apparently, to be famous/powerful and not be a non-creep.

Bernie Sanders is a confirmed movie theater scumbag.

Also yeah I know but it's just a thing that comes up and it's kind of performative. Don't post about how much we as (mostly white male) feminists respect women, just do it.

I am totally having guilty of done this in the past too, but I think it's worth clamping down on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At the same time it's okay to acknowledge that the way we talk and think about this stuff has changed in the past twenty years so there's not really any need to tut tut Tibalt for discussing the reality of 1998. He clearly was talking about the Clinton affair as adultery, which is how it was reported on in major media outlets of the time. I know we're all woke now but the way that poo poo was handled in 1998 was disastrous.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Radish posted:

The Republicans impeached without the Senate votes they had total control over the Federal government for 6 years. The idea that there is a political price to pay for starting the process and having it fail in the Senate has no backing in reality.

Certainly, nothing happened in 2001 that led to a massive outpouring of support for George W. Bush and the GOP, nope, their control of government for 2001 - 2006 must be in part a reward for impeachment

Before impeachment, the GOP was expect to gain seats in the House and the Senate in 1998 because every two-term President of the 20th century had lost seats in Congress in the middle of their second term. Instead, Democrats actually gained seats in 1998. In 2000, they gained seats again, while W’s campaign emphasized how he wasn’t at all like those Republicans in Congress.

Turning that around into “the GOP didn’t actually lose Congress (okay they lost the senate in 2000 but that doesn’t count) ergo impeachment was a resounding success” is stretching facts beyond recognition.

I don’t know if that a similar impeachment effort in 2019 goes the same way - we’ll have real crimes to pin on Trump - but you’re completely misrepresenting the facts of the 1998 impeachment and its aftermath.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1067746578226704384

I'm starting to think Obama is bad guys

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pookel posted:

Most of us, presumably, have not actually had sex with an intern half our age over whom we held significant power.

Remember also that he was credibly accused of sexually harassing several different women as well as actually raping one (who hasn't changed her story in decades of retelling it).

Also he was buddies with Jeffrey Epstein, so who knows what else he's done.

i think you're missing his (badly stated) point. the specific crime clinton was "charged" with, as a basis to remove him from office, was perjury (and obstruction of justice, but that basically mirrored the perjury claim), and it was perceived that his lie was merely trying to cover up his adultery and people did not view that as a crime worthy of removal from office. he was not "charged" with sexual harassment in the impeachment resolution.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DrNutt posted:

At the same time it's okay to acknowledge that the way we talk and think about this stuff has changed in the past twenty years so there's not really any need to tut tut Tibalt for discussing the reality of 1998. He clearly was talking about the Clinton affair as adultery, which is how it was reported on in major media outlets of the time. I know we're all woke now but the way that poo poo was handled in 1998 was disastrous.

I think admitting that you relate to cheating on your wife is actually pretty lovely besides tho.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Now this is an example of a politician doing something humanizing and relatable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I think admitting that you relate to cheating on your wife is actually pretty lovely besides tho.

i think he's referencing statistics that show adultery is a lot more common than you'd think

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lightning Knight posted:

I think he's pointing out that cheating is an incredibly common thing and that it made it easy for people to relate to Clinton, which is true. Whether your own personal morals say otherwise it's a fair point.

e: Damnit evilweasel

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't think earthquake risk inherently accumulates. I think saying any are overdue is a gambler's fallacy thing. Like if there is an 15% risk of an earthquake in a 20 year period and there isn't one then the next 20 years there is just another 15% risk, not a 30% risk. I think they just happen sporadically with an average, not like, on a clockwork timetable where one can be late.

Any fault system accumulates stresses over time that have to be relieved through relative plate motion. This can be dramatic or gradual, but over larger timescales we can form some idea of where a disproportionate amount of stress has been building up and is thus at a higher risk of a quake. Historical quake data is used to supplement this. When it actually happens is anybody's guess, but the local probability of an event doesn't necessarily remain static, even if our predictive capabilities suck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cheaters are immoral scum (unless your partner is abusive or something).

https://twitter.com/MoustacheClubUS/status/1068569980063686656

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lightning Knight posted:

I think he was saying statistically it's something "we" relate to. Not him personally.

edit: Jeez I was late on that

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Cheating seems like it would take way too much effort

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Kind of, one way of "predicting" quakes is looking at the historical record and saying a quake happens about every X years, we've gone X + 100 without a big one so it could happen any time now. You're right it's certainly not on a timetable, but risk does accumulate in terms of strain. There's more and more stress being accumulated on faults, so we know a big quake is only getting more likely and when it happens it'll be pretty bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crow Jane posted:

hearing about the dudes with two families and poo poo is wild. where do they find the time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Majorian posted:

It also helps if you're so repulsive that women reflexively flee from your very presence.

Like me :agesilaus:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spend some time in the r/relationships thread, we have such sights to show you all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean that's a fair take I suppose. I'm not gonna probe him over it or anything but it's a pretty easily misread take imo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clinton flavor of adultery is not actually that common, though. Most adultery is one spouse committing a single instance (or repeated instances with one person), and actually includes a romantic connection and not just a sexual one. Usually marriages move past it, oddly enough. What Clinton did as a President was collect women who felt like they couldn't say "no" as sex partners, because toxic masculinity being what it is, that is a symbol of power in our culture. The Lewinsky thing has more in common with the #metoo movement and it being revealed that every famous or powerful man is a sexmonster than it does with common marital infidelity.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

Probably. Plus Im with the only woman on Earth who can actually stand me so it's not like I'd have options anyway. I hit the jackpot with an awesome wife.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

what the gently caress, dude

*sigh* goddammit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/koconews/status/1068558474521575424?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Majorian posted:

Sorry, I'm honestly not trying to advertise or brag, although I can see how it came off that way. I'm more just marveling at how hard it is, apparently, to be famous/powerful and not be a non-creep.

Is it safe to assume you're not famous and powerful? So when you, for example, take a third slice of pizza and leave one of your buddies with only one, your friends feel comfortable telling you you're a dick.

Imagine that everyone in your life tells you that you're special, that you're better than normal people, and that you're entitled to that slice of pizza. What would that do to your morals?