Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have never attempted a clear hull kit. Seems like a misstep will cloud up the clear plastic and ruin the entire point. Good luck, I will be living vicariously through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
2 coats of the transparent red:

I like it. Debating on a third coat, but we'll see what this looks like once it fully dries.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Went back to the Warham store to pick up some ‘ardcoat. Guess the dude was surprised to see someone walk in and ask for that by name because he started grilling me as to what I needed it for.

Then he insisted that what I really wanted was Lahmian Medium.

I need to find a decent local hobby store.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Christ, I hate it when hobby store burnouts do that poo poo. Yes I do want to hear about how teens have been coming into your store and scowling. Also, please give me a tutorial on every product I want to purchase. Oh, and also tell me a product doesn't exist when I ask if you have it in stock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrozenVent posted:

Went back to the Warham store to pick up some ‘ardcoat. Guess the dude was surprised to see someone walk in and ask for that by name because he started grilling me as to what I needed it for.

If a varnish isn't what it is, why the gently caress would they name it "'ardcoat"? You really do need a better place to go.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Just murder another hobby shop and start buying stuff from the internet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cranking up the goon to 11, let’s do a side by side:

Let’s see what it looks like tomorrow. According to Warham Store Dude, Lahmian Medium is paint without pigment.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

Let’s see what it looks like tomorrow. According to Warham Store Dude, Lahmian Medium is paint without pigment.

Do you have a Michael's near you? If so, Liquitex makes a flow improver that is vastly less expensive than Lahmian medium.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 27, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello modeling thread. It's been a painfully long time since I've spent any time in the modelling shop, and I decided I needed to get back to it, but I was having difficulty finding the motivation to get back to work on the Cheerful or the Picket Boat. In an attempt to solve my motivational problems, I decided to commit myself to participation in a group build happening on Model Ship World.

The subject is the Medway Longboat (1742) from Syren Ship Model Company, which is designed by Chuck Passaro, the same guy who designed the tiny Long Boat from Model Shipways that another goon built in this very thread. This time though, it's not a simplified model and tiny, it's a 1/2" = 1' scale (making the hull almost as large as the Cheerful) and it's a true plank on frame design. Eventually this will be fully rigged just like the small MS longboat kit, but of course is much larger.

So yes, I am about to embark on the construction of what is basically an overgrown rowboat which will be outfitted with a mast and sail (or at least the rigging). At this scale there is a lot of detail, which will include for example, every single nail or bolt holding the thing together.

The kit arrived today, and there are a surprisingly large number of parts for an overgrown rowboat. The wood is Alaskan Yellow Cedar and looks very nice. The laser cutting is super crisp with very little burn-through and very small connections. Quality of this kit appears to be superb. All the planking is spiled and laser-cut and a build-board is included as it's an integral part of the designed construction method.

No idea how much progress I'll be making for the next month as I have a lot of stuff going on in my life and I'll be out of the country twice between now and New Year's, but I hope to get started on this later this week.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice, looking forward to watching your build.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

FrozenVent posted:

That's exactly what Lahmian Medium is, but for decals you want a gloss coat, which is what 'ardcoat is.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I'm sure you could also just pick up some Future Floor Polish and just brush it on too. It's what I use through my airbrush for a gloss coat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

Hello modeling thread. It's been a painfully long time since I've spent any time in the modelling shop, and I decided I needed to get back to it, but I was having difficulty finding the motivation to get back to work on the Cheerful or the Picket Boat. In an attempt to solve my motivational problems, I decided to commit myself to participation in a group build happening on Model Ship World.

The subject is the Medway Longboat (1742) from Syren Ship Model Company, which is designed by Chuck Passaro, the same guy who designed the tiny Long Boat from Model Shipways that another goon built in this very thread. This time though, it's not a simplified model and tiny, it's a 1/2" = 1' scale (making the hull almost as large as the Cheerful) and it's a true plank on frame design. Eventually this will be fully rigged just like the small MS longboat kit, but of course is much larger.

So yes, I am about to embark on the construction of what is basically an overgrown rowboat which will be outfitted with a mast and sail (or at least the rigging). At this scale there is a lot of detail, which will include for example, every single nail or bolt holding the thing together.

The kit arrived today, and there are a surprisingly large number of parts for an overgrown rowboat. The wood is Alaskan Yellow Cedar and looks very nice. The laser cutting is super crisp with very little burn-through and very small connections. Quality of this kit appears to be superb. All the planking is spiled and laser-cut and a build-board is included as it's an integral part of the designed construction method.

No idea how much progress I'll be making for the next month as I have a lot of stuff going on in my life and I'll be out of the country twice between now and New Year's, but I hope to get started on this later this week.

A 1:24 scale wooden boat? Neat! Eager to see you run through another one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And here are the results, ‘ardcoat on top.

‘ardcoat is much glossier I guess

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Gloss varnish is glossier than matte medium? Shocker.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Gloss varnish is glossier than matte medium? Shocker.

I know, knocked me off my stool.

I hate warning labels.

Edit:

Next plane I build is gonna be gear-up.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 28, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Old Swerdlow posted:

I'm sure you could also just pick up some Future Floor Polish and just brush it on too. It's what I use through my airbrush for a gloss coat.

Future is an amazing modeling tool. Dries rock hard and resistant to solvent based paint, fixes scratched or foggy clear plastic, can be airbrushed. Smells great you get used to it.

Fun tip for masking canopies: a thin coat of future after you mask but before you paint will seal the edge of the masking tape so paint doesn't seep underneath. Just remember use a very sharp knife to remove the tape.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 28, 2018

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Futures latest incarnation on the shelves in the US is Pledge Revive It floor gloss for those looking and not finding Future branded options.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Apprentice Dick posted:

Futures latest incarnation on the shelves in the US is Pledge Revive It floor gloss for those looking and not finding Future branded options.

I've come across modeling forums where there's a sticky titled "what the hell are they calling Future now." Decades from now when it's called Blashmerc's Lair Polish or whatever there will still be people calling it Future, no doubt to the consternation of the marketing team.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, in the future it will called Present Day Polish.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, in the future it will called Present Day Polish.
:golfclap:

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

For all your Future needs: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Molentik posted:

The days are getting shorter, and bench times are getting longer so I've started my Ryefield Models Panther Ausf. G with interior and clear hull. This kit is a complicated monster with well over 2500 parts, this will be a loooong project! The plan is to build the hull first while I think on how to do the clear upper parts. Because of the complexity I'll be building and painting loads of little sub-assemblies which is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Nice. I built this kit over the summer and posted it a few months ago. I opted to paint the clear parts and just leave hatches open and yes, painting then gluing the sub-assemblies is indeed a pain in the rear end. It's going to be awhile before I do another full interior kit.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I finished a Dragon Panzer IV ausf F2

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Frenz posted:

very nice, is that 1/35 scale?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Booyah- posted:

very nice, is that 1/35 scale?

Thanks and yes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Apprentice Dick posted:

And in all of Europe except UK it's called Klir (or Klear) iirc.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Apprentice Dick posted:

Any idea what it's called in Canada?

Frenz posted:

Nice tank, very clean.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

God the US Navy loves warning labels

For some reason the kit only comes with four missiles, but six pylons. :iiam: hopefully I’ll be back tomorrow with the completed pictures.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're probably supposed to buy their generic US Navy missile kit to load it up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Or some drop tanks

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
As much as I love this hobby, sometimes it - or rather the people in it - annoy me. For most of my life, I've had a love affair with the B-24 Liberator. I checked out the book "Log of the Liberators" from the local library dozens of times. As a kid, I built the 1/48 Monogram D and J models probably six or seven times. I have pictures of me standing in the waist position of Witchcraft when I was about nine years old, aiming the right .50. The poo poo-eating grin on my face is absolutely priceless.

Here I am, as an adult who has gotten back into the hobby of modeling as a way to decompress and experience some creativity while still keeping at least a tangential focus on history. Never in my life did I ever think I'd see a B-24 model kit in my favorite scale (1/32). I'd dreamed of it. Hoped for it. Wished for it... but the pragmatist in me said that I'd likely never see one and I'd have to settle for that ancient Revell/Monogram kit, still being turned out by the same molds that were used when I built it 30 years ago.

Then HobbyBoss suddenly announced that they had not one, but two different models (both the D and J variants) coming soon - and really soon. As news trickled out, I got really excited. Trumpeter has a history of saying "coming soon" for years, then the kits turn out to be vaporware. But this time, it's different. They're actually releasing this beast. Joy!

Then, I made my mistake. Clamoring for news about the kit and its impending release, I started following threads about it on various forums and social media. The Joyless Modelling Nazi Army is on full war mobilization maneuvers and is tearing the kit apart for really rather minor things.

The top turret is too tall, the kit is garbage!

The wing profile is slightly to thin, gently caress this piece of trash that's being foisted on us.

There's a mold seam down the front turret, this kit is no better than that Revellogram trash that we've been dealing with for years!

I paraphrase only slightly. I know, I know, just don't read the threads. I probably won't any more. It just frustrates me that people can find reasons to bitch and complain about something while simultaneously failing to see the fact that the very thing they're complaining about is something of a windfall in and of itself. I get it, it's not perfect. And, if you don't like it, then vote with your wallet and don't buy it. A fair and open discourse on how to correct particular shortcomings of a kit is one thing. But there is so much hate and vitriol by rivet counters that it's harshing my buzz.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

She’s done.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Gewehr 43 posted:

As much as I love this hobby, sometimes it - or rather the people in it - annoy me. For most of my life, I've had a love affair with the B-24 Liberator. I checked out the book "Log of the Liberators" from the local library dozens of times. As a kid, I built the 1/48 Monogram D and J models probably six or seven times. I have pictures of me standing in the waist position of Witchcraft when I was about nine years old, aiming the right .50. The poo poo-eating grin on my face is absolutely priceless.

Here I am, as an adult who has gotten back into the hobby of modeling as a way to decompress and experience some creativity while still keeping at least a tangential focus on history. Never in my life did I ever think I'd see a B-24 model kit in my favorite scale (1/32). I'd dreamed of it. Hoped for it. Wished for it... but the pragmatist in me said that I'd likely never see one and I'd have to settle for that ancient Revell/Monogram kit, still being turned out by the same molds that were used when I built it 30 years ago.

Then HobbyBoss suddenly announced that they had not one, but two different models (both the D and J variants) coming soon - and really soon. As news trickled out, I got really excited. Trumpeter has a history of saying "coming soon" for years, then the kits turn out to be vaporware. But this time, it's different. They're actually releasing this beast. Joy!

Then, I made my mistake. Clamoring for news about the kit and its impending release, I started following threads about it on various forums and social media. The Joyless Modelling Nazi Army is on full war mobilization maneuvers and is tearing the kit apart for really rather minor things.

The top turret is too tall, the kit is garbage!

The wing profile is slightly to thin, gently caress this piece of trash that's being foisted on us.

There's a mold seam down the front turret, this kit is no better than that Revellogram trash that we've been dealing with for years!

I paraphrase only slightly. I know, I know, just don't read the threads. I probably won't any more. It just frustrates me that people can find reasons to bitch and complain about something while simultaneously failing to see the fact that the very thing they're complaining about is something of a windfall in and of itself. I get it, it's not perfect. And, if you don't like it, then vote with your wallet and don't buy it. A fair and open discourse on how to correct particular shortcomings of a kit is one thing. But there is so much hate and vitriol by rivet counters that it's harshing my buzz.

This is the feeling I get from everyone I know who likes traditional hobbies like trains or tabletop games. The overall joyless "hobby nerd" is tiring, and is crazy that it has perpetuated unchanged my whole life. I find the gundam nerds are slightly -SLIGHTLY- less grognard about it, but that's because they don't have anything real to cling to as gospel.

It's why I don't bother to talk about hobbies at work and keep this poo poo to my friends who get it. At least hobby shops aren't as dismal as they used to be in my area.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Meh, I feel like this is a hobby that just naturally attracts the kind of person that's obsessively detail focused. I kind of understand complaints about a large format kit like the B-24 since its very existence probably discourages any other company from trying to make it- why spend all the development money for a new tooling when you can just buy bag shots from something someone else already made? I'm sure soon enough someone will make an upgrade set that corrects all the perceived problems with the kit, as they always do.

Honestly, rivet counters are a double-edged sword, because they're often the ones creating the demand for new tooling instead of endless reboxes of poo poo from the 80s. Not that we aren't getting that, but a lot of the new stuff in the past decade is because they've expressly shown interest in improvements on the older kits even at the cost of increased price. So even if they are really annoying, they're at least contributing in some way to the hobby (albeit obliquely and probably not by their intention.) That's a lot more than I can say for the wehraboos who extol the virtues of the king tiger and complain that there aren't enough swastika decals in this VK1602 kit to make an accurate rendition of a historical vehicle.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anybody has tips for painting ships hulls? Anti fouling, boot top and all; looking for a somewhat weathered look.

Was thinking of painting brick red over a black base for the anti fouling, but I’m at a loss as to what to do for the black part of the hull above the waterline.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think for some people the logical end-state for any interest is one-upmanship, and the rivet-counters definitely seem like that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I know mr. color has a hull red color for anti-fouling paint

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

FrozenVent posted:

Anybody has tips for painting ships hulls? Anti fouling, boot top and all; looking for a somewhat weathered look.

Was thinking of painting brick red over a black base for the anti fouling, but I’m at a loss as to what to do for the black part of the hull above the waterline.

IIRC that boot top is there most of the time to prevent fuel oil and other harbor muck from being too visible, so maybe try some dark brown/black/grey/green oils over the bottom part of the ship. Anti fouling paint also wears out a lot faster than hull paint, so airbrush or chip on some faded, greyish-red on top of your brick red. Don't forget rust streaks running down the sides of the ship anywhere where water might drain from the gunwales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Boot top is actually a special anti fouling mix to account for it being exposed to air a fair amount of the time... but it does get pretty dirty.

Thanks for the tip though.