Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Choose the one that screws over suburban rurals the most hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Granted it's a full week away and local delivery, but Canada Post is backlogged enough (and probably work-to-ruling over being legislated back) such that I wouldn't count on them being back to usual processing speeds for several months.

I've got undelivered letter mail that was sent ~10 days ago outstanding, nevermind the "stop sending packages, we can't even warehouse any more" situation.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Vote Yup for RUP!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sitchensis posted:

suburban rurals

:thunk:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Eej posted:

Yeah I was gonna hand in my vote but then it looks like the deadline has been extended to Dec 7 so heck, I can just drop it off next time I'm in Brentwood Mall.

MMP's like the standard across the world, why did we have to go invent two new Canadian First versions to make things more complicated

is there a service BC location at brentwood? I'm confused by your wording but hope this means you're handing it in.

I've talked to several people in the last few days who hadn't voted yet so I'm slightly freaking out lol

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Farmers are cool and good; people who live in single detached homes on the fringe of Langford aren't.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No man it's calculus. With the current set, things are improving at a pretty good rate and us militant centrists are pretty satisfied with the current rate of things getting better or don't think that your proposal to make things better even faster will actually deliver over our tried and true current implementation.

I too am completely satisfied with the current rate at which things are improving towards a climate change-induced hellscape.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

is there a service BC location at brentwood? I'm confused by your wording but hope this means you're handing it in.

I've talked to several people in the last few days who hadn't voted yet so I'm slightly freaking out lol

https://elections.bc.ca/rso has all the drop-off locations in the province. In Metro Vancouver, we mostly don't have consolidated Service BC offices at all but they've opened a few special purpose locations for the referendum... One of which is at Brentwood, but others at Oakridge, Chinatown, Guildford, and more.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

I too am completely satisfied with the current rate at which things are improving towards a climate change-induced hellscape.

I'm from Pembroke and I say kill 'em all!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Not me, had to blow snow twice this week. Let's get that pipeline pipin' Trudeau.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What you and a one hit wonder from North York get up to is none of our business.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe posted already(?) but relevant:

Guardian posted:

Policies of China, Russia and Canada threaten 5C climate change, study finds

China, Russia and Canada’s current climate policies would drive the world above a catastrophic 5C of warming by the end of the century, according to a study that ranks the climate goals of different countries.

The US and Australia are only slightly behind with both pushing the global temperature rise dangerously over 4C above pre-industrial levels says the paper, while even the EU, which is usually seen as a climate leader, is on course to more than double the 1.5C that scientists say is a moderately safe level of heating.

Funny that even Canada's inadequate baby-steps approach to climate change mitigation is a conservative touchstone.

edit:

TBF most of the globe is on the 5C+ bandwagon so it's a little unfair to single Canada out.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 30, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Not me, had to blow snow twice this week. Let's get that pipeline pipin' Trudeau.

You're so brave, I feel so proud of you right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

I'm from Pembroke

I am so sorry.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Maybe posted already(?) but relevant:

Funny that even Canada's inadequate baby-steps approach to climate change mitigation is a conservative touchstone.

edit:

TBF most of the globe is on the 5C+ bandwagon so it's a little unfair to single Canada out.

Yeah, I'm not to sure how this works - how are we contributing as much or more then countries that dwarf us in population and presumably, industry? In what way are the US's policies better?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Canadian Climate change strategy is "we're rich, we can weather it".

(Honestly, that's not wrong. I fully expect things to get "taken seriously" too late to avoid gigadeath.. but we'll still survive fine - things will just be different.)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I'm not to sure how this works - how are we contributing as much or more then countries that dwarf us in population and presumably, industry? In what way are the US's policies better?

It's not about what we're actually contributing (Canada is something like 2% of global emissions), the study's methodology is to ask "if every country in the world had the same policies as this country, what warming would the world get?"

If I'm remembering the article right from like two weeks ago or whenever, the US has more investment in renewables than us and their investments in oil are in less lovely oil than our tar sands, so they would only doom us to 4 degrees of warming instead of our 5+.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Canada consumes a LOT of energy per capita, and which 5/6-of-a-rectangle-shaped-province do you think burns energy at two and a half times THAT rate?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

The Canadian Climate change strategy is "we're rich, we can weather it".

(Honestly, that's not wrong. I fully expect things to get "taken seriously" too late to avoid gigadeath.. but we'll still survive fine - things will just be different.)

Define "fine" in this sentence.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

THC posted:

Brace for disappointment, my man. Referendums are designed to fail, the greeny dippers shoulda just passed the bill

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

4C vs 5C are both firmly in the nightmare future-scenario region so in that respect there's not much difference between Canada and the US. The point is that the centrist trope that "things are getting incrementally better" is flatly contradicted by physical reality, as the current political consensus is launching the world straight to disaster. In the Canadian context the federal carbon plan is just no-where near enough.

flakeloaf posted:

Canada consumes a LOT of energy per capita, and which 5/6-of-a-rectangle-shaped-province do you think burns energy at two and a half times THAT rate?

Hmmmmmm

edit: Snarking aside several provinces have significantly reduced emissions per capita over the past couple of decades. It's just not fast or universal enough.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 30, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

vyelkin posted:

It's not about what we're actually contributing (Canada is something like 2% of global emissions), the study's methodology is to ask "if every country in the world had the same policies as this country, what warming would the world get?"

If I'm remembering the article right from like two weeks ago or whenever, the US has more investment in renewables than us and their investments in oil are in less lovely oil than our tar sands, so they would only doom us to 4 degrees of warming instead of our 5+.

The first part of that seems like a flawed methodology to draw the global conclusions from.

I don't mind being take to task for having a lovely climate policy, but the way it reads it sounds like those countries (or their policies) are the major contributors to the problem. Isn't this the sort of reason stuff is normally examined/compared on a per-capita scale?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

When will Notley and the NDP stop coal rollin' the rest of Canada?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

The first part of that seems like a flawed methodology to draw the global conclusions from.

I don't mind being take to task for having a lovely climate policy, but the way it reads it sounds like those countries (or their policies) are the major contributors to the problem. Isn't this the sort of reason stuff is normally examined/compared on a per-capita scale?

It's an excellent methodology, as it clearly shows how seriously different countries are treating climate change.

Smaller countries can of course throw up their hands and claim they don't contribute a significant fraction of emissions. However a necessary component for getting out of this global collective action dilemma is for regions that are contemplating emission reductions are assured that other regions won't simply increase their emissions to gain competitive economic advantage. This means even smaller nations have to live up to their commitments.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Define "fine" in this sentence.

Higher costs for food, water, possibly drastically so in the long run, but probably not "drastic" even in the worst case for a good couple generations. More expensive insulation, interior cooling. Wild swings in land/housing costs owing to some areas becoming less habitable and the resulting population migrations.

Probably more expensive goods in general due to reduced global supply of cheap low end labor (and political interference i.e. big old carbon taxes so as to not make things worse) but maybe the doomsday projections for poorer portions of the globe are overwrought too. And goods are slowly getting more expensive anyway as misc impoverished countries partly catch up.

It'll take a while before we need to build underground infrastructure to avoid all the man-eating jurassic-sized dragonflies outside, you know, but even then, we're "fine" (if we aren't the people already barely scratching out enough to survive in shantytowns today). People largely accept and adapt to gradual yet fully transformative changes. You always get that "unfrozen caveman" effect when you look across a few decades, whether forward or back.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

James Baud posted:

Higher costs for food, water, possibly drastically so in the long run, but probably not "drastic" even in the worst case for a good couple generations. More expensive insulation, interior cooling. Wild swings in land/housing costs owing to some areas becoming less habitable and the resulting population migrations.

Probably more expensive goods in general due to reduced global supply of cheap low end labor (and political interference i.e. big old carbon taxes so as to not make things worse) but maybe the doomsday projections for poorer portions of the globe are overwrought too. And goods are slowly getting more expensive anyway as misc impoverished countries partly catch up.

It'll take a while before we need to build underground infrastructure to avoid all the man-eating jurassic-sized dragonflies outside, you know, but even then, we're "fine" (if we aren't the people already barely scratching out enough to survive in shantytowns today). People largely accept and adapt to gradual yet fully transformative changes. You always get that "unfrozen caveman" effect when you look across a few decades, whether forward or back.

Our breadbaskets are going to be deserts and the oceans will be lifeless acidic pools. "Higher costs for food" is putting it pretty loving mildly.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is this one of those things where people see temperature lines moving northwards and think that the canadian shield will somehow be able to support crops on it's 20 or 30 centimeters of lovely acidic soil?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Canada is a major contributor to the problem. In addition to our rampantly terrible domestic environmental policies that involve extracting some of the worst carbon fuel on the planet and burning as much of it as humanly possible, under both Harper and Trudeau Canada has been one of the most obstructionist countries in the world in terms of fighting against meaningful international efforts to combat climate change.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 30, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ChairMaster posted:

Is this one of those things where people see temperature lines moving northwards and think that the canadian shield will somehow be able to support crops on it's 20 or 30 centimeters of lovely acidic soil?
Also inland regions wont get any rain

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also here's the absolute best resource for understanding just how hosed Canada will be from climate change:

https://climateatlas.ca/

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
This isn't even mentioning the millions of refugees that will result from global warming or the militaristic super power on our southern border

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

This isn't even mentioning the millions of refugees that will result from global warming or the militaristic super power on our southern border

Or the steady descent of developed nations into fascism in the name of militarized borders as our FYGM attitudes collide with the global crisis and displacement of billions of people wrought by our actions.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

Or the steady descent of developed nations into fascism in the name of militarized borders as our FYGM attitudes collide with the global crisis and displacement of billions of people wrought by our actions.

So basically we all agree with my projection, which, while I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it "good", still does not spell doomsday for us?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I think we're all in agreement about your idiotic argument, yeah

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

I think we're all in agreement that your a huge loving idiot, yeah

I can hardly help it if people's tribal affiliation somehow makes them think the things I mention in my very first sentence (in your case, the third) are things I'm unaware of.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

James Baud posted:

So basically we all agree with my projection, which, while I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it "good", still does not spell doomsday for us?

No, your projection isn't based on evidence. Forecasting becomes increasingly difficult with warming >2C. As the climate is forced into an unprecedented regime extrapolating based on the historical record becomes harder, and we really don't know what feedback processes become relevant with further temperature increases. 4-5C rise over a century is just total irresponsible dice-rolling, who knows what the world will look at that point.

This is to say nothing about all the unpredictable ways human societies might respond to the various inevitable crises. Unless your name is Hari Seldon you don't have any basis to claim things will be "fine" at >5C warming. I'm not going to try and pin down exactly what you mean by doomsday.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

"Well we might be freezing in this lifeboat listening to the cries of the dying around us, but when you think about it, given the extremely easy actions that could have avoided this whole situation to begin with, we are all-in-all dealing with a great outcome here!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Well this might not be the best possible outcome but hey, it could be worse eh?" I say as I take my turn machine-gunning a boat full of migrants off the Grand Banks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I get all my groceries delivered online rather from nature like some peasant, so the near total collapse of the ocean and a vast reduction in farmland should only affect those rurals. I'm also white and middle class so how is rising fascism a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

vyelkin posted:

Also here's the absolute best resource for understanding just how hosed Canada will be from climate change:

https://climateatlas.ca/

You know those maps that sometimes omit PEI? It's not error, it's projection of climate change.