Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think this is entirely fair to him, he has a degree in mechanical engineering and made a significant inventive contribution to aircraft design before becoming a full time educator/entertainer.

Still not a scientist. "Science guy" is fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Blurred posted:

Suggestion: everyone who pipes up about a public figure being "bad" or a "piece of poo poo" or some variation of "I heard..." has to post corroborating material from a reliable source or eat a probation. Just casually casting aspersions about someone's character is damaging, because people will retain a vague memory of the negative association with that person without any corresponding memory of how reliable the original assertion was.
Counterpoint: this is exactly how women have warned each other about dangerous men since the dawn of time. Making explicit allegations opens people up to retaliation, so they tend to avoid sharing corroborating evidence that could lead back to them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Technically he has a mechanical engineering degree. Engineers get poo poo done. Scientists wank around in labs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Gatekeeping behavior in STEM! :argh:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Calling Brother Mouzone a dork is not a take I expected ever to see

He does have a library card.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Technically he has a mechanical engineering degree. Engineers get poo poo done. Scientists wank around in labs.

So said an engineer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Cheating seems like it would take way too much effort

Right? It’s exhausting just loving thinking about what would be involved. I have a hard time remembering whether I locked the door, I’m not going to try and live a second life.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

KickerOfMice posted:

So said an engineer.

Computer engineer, so really I just bang my fingers on the keyboard and think I'm way smarter than I actually am. :)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Get ready guys, the National Football League is getting ready to completely botch another domestic violence incident!

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1068590810520801280

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Bicyclops posted:

People were mostly actually going through his history to prove he'd done good things and was scandal-free, but feel free to lose your head about it, I guess.

It's not only this event, it's a running theme. People just casually post innuendo about a public figure that they've heard second-hand, and then - at best, as in this case - people have to scramble to find confirming or disconfirming evidence, leading to a two-page derail. A similar thing happened a couple of days ago when someone implied that Kamala Harris was obviously a bad person because she hadn't posted anything on Twitter(!) about the tear-gassing of children, when it turned out that she actually had.

It shouldn't be up to this thread to fact-check every self-aggrandising idiot who feels the need to display their moral superiority to a public figure. If you're going to cast aspersions on someone's character then justify it immediately. If not, you should be probated, if only to avoid the inevitable derails.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean without engineers you never get from 'I got this to work in a lab' to 'now this is a thing that can benefit humanity' and without the people in said labs the engineers just sit around making trebuchets and stills so we can get drunk off our asses then launch things or possibly die horribly when something goes terribly wrong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Feinne posted:

And since the fault's a really complicated system where strain is constantly moving around as each tiny slip and small quake happens. To make things even more annoying, while we can measure 'strain', we don't have any way to translate that into anything more actionable than 'an earthquake is probably getting closer to happening'.

I think the main thing Owlofcreamcheese is missing is that unlike storms or floods, earthquakes are caused by fault systems that are accumulating strain until a big quake releases it.

Volcanoes are the same way, they accumulate pressure until they blow. Unlike earthquakes, though, we can actually predict volcanic eruptions and evacuate people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/weedlewobble/status/1068596572202721280

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am not an earthquake expert but I thought it specifically doesn't work like that. Like, there is tons of earthquakes all day every day, there isn't a separate store of 100 year old earthquake energy that builds up that gets saved for the big one separately. So it's mostly just a luck of the draw every X years if conditions do or don't make a big earthquake, waiting longer doesn't increase the odds beyond it being more time. (statistically at least, I am sure someone could find a specific fault that had specific energy building and building at a specific location, but not like, that is how earthquakes as a concept work)
The physical process behind earthquakes isn't a leprechaun rolling some dice every so often and if he rolls a natural 20, an earthquake happens. Earthquakes are driven by actual physical processes and the gambler's fallacy doesn't apply - we talk about the probability of an earthquake happening as a measurement of uncertainty due to lack of information, not because the process is truly random.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bicyclops posted:

Divorcing less is probably the closer indirect one.

This the actual answer. There was a bunch of :thunk:pieces about how millennial divorce rates would go up once the delay in them actually starting to get married passed but it turns out not to be the case. Increasingly it appears that millennials are most likely just a sharp regression to the mean and that boomers are just for some mysterious reason divorce prone:

quote:

But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.

“The change among young people is particularly striking,” Susan Brown, a sociology professor at Bowling Green State University, said of Cohen’s results. “The characteristics of young married couples today signal a sustained decline [in divorce rates] in the coming years.”

Young people get the credit for fewer divorces because boomers have continued to divorce at unusually high rates, all the way into their 60s and 70s. From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green’s National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older. Cohen’s results suggest this trend, called “grey divorce,” may have leveled out in the past decade, but boomers are still divorcing at much higher rates than previous generations did at similar ages.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Trump would care if an Earthquake hit Alaska. Oh well.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mcmagic posted:

Impeaching him but not removing him is not curtailing much damage. He will do as much damage as senate republicans let him.

Unless House democrats want to make an argument that Trump doesn't deserve impeachment, they need to impeach him. Otherwise it's going to be real fun watching that blue wave wash away in 2020 a bunch of people sit at home because the democrats did jack poo poo and sat on their hands and didn't even bring impeachment up for a vote. There's no reason to fear Pence becoming president because the Senate won't convict, so why not do it? Otherwise a lot of voters will just go, "Well, I guess it doesn't matter who has the house, welp."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Get ready guys, the National Football League is getting ready to completely botch another domestic violence incident!

They absolutely saw this tape months ago.

The NFL is a god drat horror show.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, he'll be fine. It's not like he kneeled during the anthem or anything.

Seriously though gently caress that guy.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Blurred posted:

It shouldn't be up to this thread to fact-check every self-aggrandising idiot who feels the need to display their moral superiority to a public figure. If you're going to cast aspersions on someone's character then justify it immediately. If not, you should be probated, if only to avoid the inevitable derails.

I agree and also find it really funny how it took only a few posts before you were proven absolutely right.

About half the dirt digging report us amounted to "I didn't actually find anything bad, so I'll make fun of his clothes/personality/whatever instead."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Twitter cuts off the headline. In full it's

"Antisemitism Is Becoming Mainstreamed and Normalized, and that's a good thing."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Really hope the internet stays intact, if only so people in a century can enjoy what a circus this administration it.

https://twitter.com/byaaroncdavis/status/1068585679440027650?s=21

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Meatball posted:

Oh, he'll be fine. It's not like he kneeled during the anthem or anything.

Seriously though gently caress that guy.

She called him a friend of the family which supposedly triggered the incident. If true, kick nazis etc 🤷🏾‍♀️

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Pellisworth posted:

I think the main thing Owlofcreamcheese is missing is that unlike storms or floods, earthquakes are caused by fault systems that are accumulating strain until a big quake releases it.

Volcanoes are the same way, they accumulate pressure until they blow. Unlike earthquakes, though, we can actually predict volcanic eruptions and evacuate people.

Yeah just in general a big part of the earthquake problem is that what we can measure here from the surface is nowhere near enough information to do real time predictions and likely never will be.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Koalas Massacre posted:

She called him a friend of the family which supposedly triggered the incident. If true, kick nazis etc 🤷🏾‍♀️

Oh is that the case? Well i apologize to Mr. Hunt. Please keep punching nazis!

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TheScott2K posted:

They absolutely saw this tape months ago.

The NFL is a god drat horror show.

Well it's not like he knelt for the anthem or something that matters. :patriot:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like it's ok to beat up men for that but not women

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I made the mistake of watching this video. It's disturbing in the fact that it's not just like a 2-second incident or something where the guy has a momentary lapse and hits a woman (which would be bad enough and cause for him to get kicked out of the league on its own). But it's a prolonged attempted assault where he's held back, breaks free, and goes after her AGAIN. He should never play another NFL down. gently caress him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It was his boss, not assistant. This made me think of TechTV for the first time in years. What's Morgan Webb up to these days?

She was apparently on one episode of a show called Bull last year, and that is her only acting credit since 2012, according to IMDB.
She's also Canadian, which I did not know.

G4 and TechTV really didn't do much for these people's careers, did it? Tommy Tallarico is probably the most successful person from the channel, since he went on to create Video Games Live. After him, it's probably Olivia Munn, who had the distinction of playing a side character in the worst X-men movie since 3.

Sessler looks like hell nowadays and he seems to have just drifted from one gaming website to another between spells of independent work.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Your Taint posted:

I made the mistake of watching this video. It's disturbing in the fact that it's not just like a 2-second incident or something where the guy has a momentary lapse and hits a woman (which would be bad enough and cause for him to get kicked out of the league on its own). But it's a prolonged attempted assault where he's held back, breaks free, and goes after her AGAIN. He should never play another NFL down. gently caress him.

If the story that she called him a friend of the family is true then she got exactly what she deserved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Munn's been in a lot of movies, she's had far more of a showbusiness career than Tallarico

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

DrNutt posted:

If the story that she called him a n***** is true then she got exactly what she deserved.

IF she did, I don't know how to feel. I'm still not comfortable with a man hitting a woman under any circumstances other than self-defense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Munn's been in a lot of movies, she's had far more of a showbusiness career than Tallarico

Tallarico is a musician first, and a drat good one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DrNutt posted:

If the story that she called him a n----- is true then she got exactly what she deserved.

Please explain, what is the complete list of words which when uttered allow a person who hears them to violently assault someone?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Your Taint posted:

IF she did, I don't know how to feel. I'm still not comfortable with a man hitting a woman under any circumstances other than self-defense.

Would you be comfortable if he hit some obnoxious 5'6" guy spouting racism? (I would)

mod sassinator posted:

Please explain, what is the complete list of words which when uttered allow a person who hears them to violently assault someone?

That word doesn't if you yell it at a white guy, it's more like "if somebody tries to use a legacy of white supremacy to reduce a superb athlete down to a subhuman stereotype in two syllables they can eat a few to the mouth"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Taint posted:

yeah, i am unsure, especially since the dude has a history of that kinda poo poo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mod sassinator posted:

There is an entire legal concept built around this in the United States called “fighting words.”

Start poo poo get hit is constitutional law. :patriot:

(Inb4 I am “well actually”’d by evilweasel)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Would you be comfortable if he hit some obnoxious 5'6" guy spouting racism? (I would)

Yes, but you're not going to get me to say "hitting a woman is ok under this circumstance" because I won't. If she said that it's *less* not OK than it would be if she hadn't, but still not OK.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

skylined! posted:

Really hope the internet stays intact, if only so people in a century can enjoy what a circus this administration it.

https://twitter.com/byaaroncdavis/status/1068585679440027650?s=21
Why is every photo of this guy looking like he's straining to hold in a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Abner Assington posted:

Why is every photo of this guy looking like he's straining to hold in a poo poo

he needs Big Penis Toilet but can't find one