Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Herbotron posted:

That's a really cool bit of trivia. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Senran Kagura having a fairly large female fanbase, as another example women not being prudish.

Senran Kagura's fanbase is something like 40/60 female/male and there's a large number of female staff.

It's also worth noting that Neptunia has a female character designer and is probably the RPG series with the most female staff members, since there's multiple interviews where people on that dev team mention that there's way more women than anywhere else they've ever worked.

Not that it makes these things above criticism or makes them actually woke, or something, just that the whole 'pandering to MEN' thing is attacking it from the wrong angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Feels a bit silly to do this nonspecific "dumb people do this genre of argument" thing, especially since the original person being talked about (Dan Olson, if I'm not mistaken), never said anything like that as far as I can tell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Feels a bit silly to do this nonspecific "dumb people do this genre of argument" thing, especially since the original person being talked about (Dan Olson, if I'm not mistaken), never said anything like that as far as I can tell.
I mean, nobody is talking about Dan Olson at this point, we're just talking about misconceptions a lot of people have. Including things people have expressed literally five posts ago!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Senran Kagura's fanbase is something like 40/60 female/male and there's a large number of female staff.

It's also worth noting that Neptunia has a female character designer and is probably the RPG series with the most female staff members, since there's multiple interviews where people on that dev team mention that there's way more women than anywhere else they've ever worked.

Not that it makes these things above criticism or makes them actually woke, or something, just that the whole 'pandering to MEN' thing is attacking it from the wrong angle.

I'm not super keyed into video game industry statistics, but I wonder if a lot of these notions at least in the US come about just because it seems to be harder to get statistics on player base demographics because companies don't usually release their data or even ask and no websites really have enough of a user base for good sample sizes, especially on more niche games. It seems like things just get taken on faith and assumptions or one or two articles or twitter opinions because nobody ever really asks or is able to get a trustworthy answer.

Or maybe this data is out there and I'm just out of touch. There were occasionally some good threads in Games on this but they tended to go south quickly.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 30, 2018

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I'm still having trouble connecting this with Love Live

“Granted, I haven’t watched Love Live,”

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

good av

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks friend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the notion comes from sexism

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh.

Right on, Chivalry was actually pretty decent I thought.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1068588234324828160?s=19

Edit: not available in the US :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 30, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a kitten posted:

Huh.

Right on, Chivalry was actually pretty decent I thought.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1068588234324828160?s=19

Was Chivalry of a Failed Knight the one considered good and Asterisk War the one considered bad, or was it the other way around?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Was Chivalry of a Failed Knight the one considered good and Asterisk War the one considered bad, or was it the other way around?

The former.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Saki probably is a great example of something that a casual observer would think it's design evolution was done to pander to men when in reality it's changes were done cause Ritz finally got the freedom to indulge her thirsts

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It would be neat if they did something like Chivalry/Asterisk on purpose as an experiment. Make 2 or 3 shows with literally the same first episode (or maybe the same script but different animation and voice acting), and give each show a different writer/director who can take the show in whatever direction they want. There are sometimes shows with a promising first episode that are taken in a not-great direction later, often by a different creative team than the writer of the first episode (e.g., Aldnoah/Zero); it would be interesting if a different writer was given a chance to pick up the story from the same first episode.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
who's Dan Olson

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chivalry also had a character that looked like Iori Yagami had a bastard son whom he verbally abused, with "lovely brat" being the kindest thing he could muster, so he grows up to resent him, becomes a womanizing douche and bullies MC's for fun and profit.

Also probably one of the funniest roles Kirito's VA, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, has ever done.

DisDisDis posted:

who's Dan Olson
The Folding Ideas guy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
someone give me sparknotes on his 2+ hour analysis of 50 shades of gray

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The original book, being based on a serialized fanfiction, is kind of a fuckin' mess narratively, and gosh darn it the first movie tries its best to construct a coherent plot which is all completely disregarded with a new creative team for the second and third movies. Also since the second and third movies were directed and written by dudes, there's some hilariously no homo moments with regards to Christian being sexy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
thank you

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also the plot is largely incoherent and the books' portrayal of BDSM alternates between being what actual enthusiasts would describe as hilariously vanilla and being actively insulting and condescending to them, with the implication that one only ever falls into the subculture as a result of intense psychological damage.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Onmi posted:

That's extremely limited in view, both the implication that only horny young men can be gotten into anime with horny stuff, and the idea that a focused sex-scene is somehow more inappropriate or distracting than spread out nudity or sexual gazes.

Going to be real clear with you. Girls are horny. In fact, they are very horny, and they like horny things with sex in them, implied sex in them, and even unimplied but still contextually erotic things in them. Do you know why? Because they're people. Individuals may dislike horny things, but if your mental judgement is "I can't show this to someone unless they're a horny young man" then you have biases that you need to work through.

That's like the idea that boys have no focus or care for relationships or the like because I can confirm that Grade 3/4 was an exercise in a group of young boys discussing how Tai and Sora are clearly in a relationship and people who think Matt has a shot are weirdoes. In fact, the most common thread of discussion in life when talking about fiction, be it anime, television, what have you. Is relationships, sex, attraction. And that's with anyone I talk to outside of direct family.

So that is a bias that is wrong, and holding onto it perpetuates a negative stereotype.

No no I'm saying that spread out nudity is more distracting than focused sex scenes. Sex scenes are usually relevant to the plot, or at least a specific thing that happens.

And I know girls are horny come on. I don't think I'd have any issues recommending run with the wind to straight women, and I chat about yuri anime with bi women. But I know a lot of women who aren't going to watch a show when they get up to the inevitable beach episode because they're going to realise they're not the target audience in a big way. The fact that the sexualized bikini babe is usually under 18 is also going to go down like a lead balloon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also the plot is largely incoherent and the books' portrayal of BDSM alternates between being what actual enthusiasts would describe as hilariously vanilla and being actively insulting and condescending to them, with the implication that one only ever falls into the subculture as a result of intense psychological damage.

MY MOTHER....THE CRACK WHORE

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i, too, can't go to the beach, because there might be people of all ages in various states of undress there.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
All of my lady internet friends went bonkers in yonkers over the gridman beach episode

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I don't think close up shots of 16 year old T&A being not for everyone is a particularly hot take but here we are

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you leave chobits out of this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

you leave chobits out of this
id prefer if we left chobits out of everything

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The beach is fun because nobody says squat about you being shoeless. Also, sand feels good between your toes. :3:

Expect My Mom posted:

All of my lady internet friends went bonkers in yonkers over the gridman beach episode
Also it had a kid being teased for being slightly pudgy/out of shape, and that was both strangely endearing and relatable.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sand loving sucks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah lets get a bunch of coarse poo poo on my feet that's near impossible to all get off without shower facilities. great idea

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

The beach is fun because nobody says squat about you being shoeless. Also, sand feels good between your toes. :3:

Chunks of broken rock or seashell don't. The beach is good in theory but bad in practice.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

Also it had a kid being teased for being slightly pudgy/out of shape, and that was both strangely endearing and relatable.
I liked that a lot of the girls didnt make fun of him but thought it was cute

Davincie posted:

sand loving sucks
hard agree

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

yeah lets get a bunch of coarse poo poo on my feet that's near impossible to all get off without shower facilities. great idea

Hi Anakin

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Spiritus Nox posted:

with the implication that one only ever falls into the subculture as a result of intense psychological damage.

I dunno from what I hear, BDSM has a massive problem with actual domestic abuse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, fine then! No anigoon meet at any beach.

Expect My Mom posted:

I liked that a lot of the girls didnt make fun of him but thought it was cute
Yeah. :kimchi:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is no one gonna mention that Gridman had a mountain ep and not a beach one?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sorry it was the same idea, there were swimsuits

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

HisoMaso is a good show.

Yep.

Just got around to seeing it recently, myself. The cast is endearing, the romances are fun and charming even when it seems initially like they really won't be, and the plot develops at a nice pace.

rvm
May 6, 2013
I agree that a lot of Western critics "analyze" what they believe to be the audience of the show, as opposed to the actual text, which is also often used as a springboard to launch into tedious ranting about "real issues" as opposed to dumb cartoons or whatever. However, it is a double edge sword. 70% or even 100% female viewership / stuff can't be used as an argument against critique based on solid textual evidence.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
that's exactly what a trump lover would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

there's an interesting context created by audiences reactions to the eva ending and then expectations for the movie and while it's worth exploring its also probably one of the most tired ways of exploring EoE at this point imo