Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
There's just something missing without Ruku. I think it's volume, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It's probably unintentional, but I like to think of the Orcs running out of resources as Ner'zhul preparing to clean house:

: Yeah, just take up garrison on that island there; you'll be the first to fight the humans when they come. Don't worry about the lack of resources, a real orc can win even without gold!

:..wait, they actually went? Idiots.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

This is amazing. :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gary is the Hero We Need, but do not deserve

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Comrade Chairman Garybachev.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, I honestly don't remember how I usually handle this mission.

I probably do just take out the Shattered Hand with my starting forces, though.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I don't often talk about gameplay much in the thread since this game is so much older now (it still feels like a new game to me, just because I waited a few months to get it as a kid), but I think it's really interesting that striking the Thunderlord first isn't the more common answer. Typically before recording a run, I make a little scouting pass at the level and plot out a course. Then, like a normal and sane human being, I jot down little notes about what I'd like to do once I actually begin. I sat around for awhile on the map before I realized that the Shattered Hand wasn't doing... anything. I just brushed it off as, "Oh, cool, there's the expansion base."

Turns out that I didn't really need it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The original Starcraft's campaigns had a similar issue to that, particularly the end of the Zerg and Protoss campaigns. Either there's enough resources between your original base and the first expansion that you can just sit around and wait for the AI to suicide into your base defenses, or the first enemy faction that you encounter is so tough that, by the time you defeat them, the second faction will pose no threat to you whatsoever.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I can just imagine Gary turning that bulls-eye on his chest into the main part of his soon to be royal crest, just to mess with Ravigaz when he comes back.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

stryth posted:

I can just imagine Gary turning that bulls-eye on his chest into the main part of his soon to be royal crest, just to mess with Ravigaz when he comes back.

stryth posted:

just to mess with Ravigaz when he comes back.

stryth posted:

when he comes back.

HA.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh Ravigaz comes back alright...
...in Warcraft 3
during the Undead campaign

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Oh Ravigaz comes back alright...
...in Warcraft 3
during the Undead campaign

Yeah, the Human campaign will be...interesting, especially with who ends up joining Arthas on his trip to Northrend...

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Lost In Space

Lore for... Dwarfless Professionalism

At this point, the geography of Draenor must have gotten confusing. Even more so with the retcons to actual places we've visited! My brain hurts just thinking about the way that General Turalyon and his merry men have traipsed across the red world. Let's get out our old friend the manual map. The trail in red will mark where we, in the game, have followed along. The trail marked in green, however, will show some of the divergences from the group that we don't see in the game. The purple represents a divergence from the main forces but a path we still see in the game. Haha, just typing that out makes my eye twitch. Both eyes actually. I think I'm just involuntarily blinking rapidly.

1. Our adventure on Draenor begins on the Hellfire Peninsula with the Sons of Lothar (in case I haven't mentioned the sentimental name that Turalyon went with) taking and holding the orcish side of the Dark Portal.

2. General Turalyon takes the majority of the Sons of Lothar out to Hellfire Citadel, assuming that Ner'zhul is holed up within. Instead they clash with Kargath Bladefist and took the fortress within a day.

3. Meanwhile, Captain Wells and his motley crew assaults the shipyards at Zeth'kur. This is doubtlessly in preparation for the assault on Shadowmoon Fortress.

There's a small break here, as Khadgar realizes that the Skull of Gul'dan was northward, while Ner'zhul was headed south. The Sons of Lothar split here, with Khadgar and Alleria heading north after the skull, and Danath and Kurdran heading south. Turalyon... uh... Alright, let me level with you, in the canon, Turalyon heads north with Khadgar, but in the game he's clearly a part of the battle of Auchindoun. My way of handling this is having him present for the initial Firefist assault before leaving to join Alleria and Khadgar. Once he got up there... uhhh... yeah. He helped, too. While we're being this open with each other: Kurdran was actually caught in the battle of Auchindoun, and there's very little explanation for him showing up in the Blade's Edge Mountains. Sure, all of this stuff could have been written with the games in mind a little better (Christie Goldennnnnn! :argh:), but this is what we've got. ANYWAY...

4. The Sons of Lothar launch an assault on Auchindoun. Here, Kurdran is captured, tortured, and interrogated by Kilrogg Deadeye of the Bleeding Hollow. Before long, Danath's forces charge in, and Danath Trollbane kills the mighty orc chieftain in single combat. Danath. Still a badass. (Let's say that Kurdran flies northward to help out Khadgar and the rest here?)

5. Khadgar, Alleria, and Turalyon track the Skull of Gul'dan to Blade's Edge Mountains. There they strike a deal with Gruul to drive off Deathwing in exchange for getting to pass through Gorgrond in peace.

6. In preparation for the assault on Fortress Shadowmoon/Black Temple/Karabor, Captain Wells and Kalassori clear away several orcish tribes from the surrounding area. This sets the stage for the final confrontation with Ner'zhul.

So that's it! We're in the endgame, everyone! Not a particularly lore-filled Lore update, but really we need to know what the hell is going on here, because things start to move in a... straight-ISH line. Actually, I'm starting to feel like I need to get out some more crayons.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 5, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Warcraft geography is much like real premodern geography, in that it makes no sense and was probably made up in five minutes by someone drunk.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You say "probably"...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, I'm with Kalassori here.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Kalassori for President!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

HardDiskD posted:

You say "probably"...

Some premodern maps and geographic techniques are actually quite good.

The same cannot generally be said for Warcraft.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I'm with Kalassori here.

achtungnight posted:

Kalassori for President!

: Kalassori Morningpath, yes.

: Why do you encourage her?

: 'Oi, Kala! Who're ya talkin' to?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Remember, the most efficient means of base defense is to put all valuable buildings outside the base, ensuring the base itself is never targeted and so cannot fall.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Mors Rattus posted:

Remember, the most efficient means of base defense is to put all valuable buildings outside the base, ensuring the base itself is never targeted and so cannot fall.

: Captain Varin Wells. I would like to recommend a new member to our war council. They must be a genius by human standards.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's also something to be said about putting up barracks in the middle of the enemy's base.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

If you're not already building a base in the enemy base as you clear stuff out, I have serious doubts about how you play Warcraft games

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Engineer rush, a staple of the C&C series

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Aces High posted:

Engineer rush, a staple of the C&C series

There's nothing more satisfying than killing your enemy with their own units.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Within the prisons of the Black Temple of the Shadowmoon...

: I really should leave the "being a reckless idiot" thing to Ruku. How the hell am I going to get out of this one?

: By the curled nosehairs of Gul'dan, do you ever shut up?!

: Oh, look who's feeling talkative again! It figures that I get locked up next to the one orc who can speak Common!

: Oh, yeah, I learned your pathetic language so I could hear you whine and moan all night long! Don't you humans have a word for shutting the hell up and accepting your fate?

: You'd have to ask a priest about that one.

: Glad to ssssee that you've made a friend, Neckssssmasher.

: Glad to see you... urgh... are... such an... idiot.

: Wow, great comeback there.

: Shut up! Being locked in a cell for weeks sort of messes with my wit.

: I'm not here to trade feeble witticissssmssss with you, Neckssssmasher.

: I feel like if I had a speech impediment, I would avoid certain words...

: Right?!

: I want to know where your powerssss come from... mage.

: Wait, you've kept me alive for this long because you haven't figured out... magic?

: It's pronounced-! ...No, wait, you got it right.

: Don't play coy with me, human. We know what you wield is more than ssssimple magickssss.

: Wow, yeah, that is definitely the wrong way to pronounce it.

: Laugh while you can, ssssimpletonssss! When Ner'zhul fulfillssss hissss desssstiny, you shall inaugurate our new world with your blood.

: Yeah, yeah. Hey human, are you a priest? Because I got some fate to start accepting.

: You can't be serious about this.

: Ya jus' gonna let da Chief die, Bloodbelly?

: I mean...

: Bloodbelly? Ya serious, mon?!

: What are we supposed to do? Kill Darkweaver? Do you have an axe that re-kills the undead? Maybe some troll juju that seals his spirit inside a charm or something?

: ...We can't jus' let da Chief get killed by dem dead wizards.

: I know that. It's just... I don't want to die, too.

: Let's go, Bloodbelly. We'll find our chance.

: Goodbye... Chieftain.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!!!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Was Necksmashers head so big he blocked all light coming into his cel by looking out the window?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ugh, censor that NSFW crap. Why are you drawing Necksmasher nude all of a sudden?! Give the poor orc at least a ball cap :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My throat hurts just imagining how magickssssss is pronounced.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s easy.

Muh-gick and then you hiss.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Maa-jik-zzzzz

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, it's definitely not a J sound, we're talking 'sounds kind of like gecko'.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Magic doesn't work for them because they can't pronounce it right.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's odd, given their age I would have thought that bloodgut would have at least a +13 pointy stick. I guess magical items of superdeath aren't as common as they will be.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Mors Rattus posted:

Defense lines are for people who don't think of the entire map as their base.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hey Kalassori Morningpath:

Your base can never be attacked if you never build it in the first place.

Also holy poo poo Gaz/Necksmasher team up? Wonder how Wells will feel about that

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A right laugh, aye? So that's how it's gonna go? Interesting.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 7, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Alright, we're heading into the crazy holiday season. Updates will slow down again, but we're so, so close to finishing this all up, so expect some Miscellaneous updates the next few weeks as well as a lovely Christmas Winterveil Contest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Happy Winter Veil, everyone! I hope that you're all settling in with your favorite mug of Yuletide Rum* and watching a festive stage play about breaking into the homes of strangers and eating their snacks. As for Nigel and Varin's crews... well, just because they're on an alien world and in an entirely different timeline that doesn't mean they can't celebrate!

May I present to you...

The Winter Veil Duel of the Greatfathers!

That's right, this year we have not one, but two Greatfathers that you can clamber into the lap of! Very simply, all you need to do is write a letter to the Greatfather of your choice and tell him what you want for Winter Veil and why you deserve it.

Then, all of the good boys and girls and everyone of every shape and stripe will get a response to their letter! As always, three special children will receive medals and their names forever remembered**! Of course, one grand prize winner will get a special AMAZING medal and a drawing of their choice from Azzur!

Let's take a look at an example:

Example 1 posted:

Dear Greatfather Ruku Reckless Firefist,

This year, I have been a very good elf. I have put many humans to work both on Azeroth an beyond. My efficiency values are simply off the charts. (While it is true that I created these charts myself, it is nevertheless impressive.) I would like to ask for something very simple: A dimensional realm of my own where I can finish my studies in peace. That, or a new spell capable of inverting an orc's skeletal structure. Whichever is easier for you.

Many thanks,
Kalassori Morn
A VERY GOOD ELF

Example 2 posted:

Dear Greatfather Necksmasher,

You know exactly what I want, you brute. And I'm coming to get it, even if I have to kill every single one of your kin to do so.

May your winter be a snowy wonderland of majesty,
Captain Varin Wells
(Sorry, the card came with the whole “snowy wonderland” thing. I do not mean any of it.

Now for some details!
  • Contest Time: From now until midnight (PST), December 24th
  • Contest Rules: Create a letter to either Greatfather Ruku or Greatfather Nigel from you (or a comical facsimile of you) telling them what you want this year and why you deserve it.
  • Prizes: Three runners up will receive shiny thread medals! One grand prize winner will get their very own thread medal and Azzur commissioned drawing!
On Christmas (or somewhere close to Christmas, I have a life, too, guys) we'll have all of the responses from our two Greatfathers! We'll also be running a little poll to see just who is the more popular Greatfather!

So good luck, everyone! And enjoy your Winter Veil!

*This is just rum, but poured by Bloodgut wearing actual elf ears. He hates this.

**”Forever” is not subject to chronological scrutiny.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 12, 2018