Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Bananana posted:

My friend, have you heard of our lord and savior, the MG42?
I'll just leave you with this pamphlet.

Is that the second unlock that requires being prone to ads? I tried it and couldn’t hit poo poo but I went in the mindset of RAMBO and that doesn’t quite work.

I’ll try it again properly I swear!

StevoMcQueen posted:

I find it depends on the map/gametype.

KE7/Bren is ideal when you need to run and gun between points before setting up shop, as they're viable bullet hoses even while standing.

But if I'm defending on grand operations or similar, and know the enemy have a specific field to come from, I'll switch over to the MG34 and set up shop with the bipod. Did it yesterday on Arras, just sweeping back and forth across the field, tagging peeps as they ran through to be picked off.

True yeah. I only play conquest but I like domination or whatever the smaller infantry focused mode is too. I like to move a lot but I’m finding the constant feed of points while suppressing keeps me a little more patient. It reinforces that I’m helping when I’m hanging back instead of pushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is that the second unlock that requires being prone to ads? I tried it and couldn’t hit poo poo but I went in the mindset of RAMBO and that doesn’t quite work.

I’ll try it again properly I swear!

True yeah. I only play conquest but I like domination or whatever the smaller infantry focused mode is too. I like to move a lot but I’m finding the constant feed of points while suppressing keeps me a little more patient. It reinforces that I’m helping when I’m hanging back instead of pushing.

2nd unlock is the mg34, which carried me all the way to level 20 support.
Yes, you have to go prone with it to make it worth a drat.
Mg42 is the bigger badder brother at lvl 20

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

StevoMcQueen posted:

Wanna spot? Bren gun with machine gunner specialty, marking anyone and everyone to rack up sweet suppression/spot/assist/murder points. Also mines in both flavours.

Yes, but the spotting scope allows you to tag without making yourself a gigantic target as well. Opening up on people to tag them is nice and all, but tracers work both ways

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Hamburlgar posted:

I got kicked from the Butt Squad :(

My PSN is Kovacs_Glass

If you reapply I'll add you!

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010
Does this game have a codex? That was one thing I really liked about BF1.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally got around to playing V and I’m just not a fan. This new health mechanic is stupid, and the guns you start with are terrible. Yes let me grind through getting shot all to gently caress so I can upgrade my guns eventually someday, it sure is fun spawning in and dying basically instantly and losing heads up battles to pistols with SMGs and LMGs.

I’ll stick to BF1 thanks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The more I play the more I realize BF1 is the better game, and it’s not really close. I’ll still keep playing because I already bought it but I honestly can’t name one aspect of this game that’s better than BF1.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RCarr posted:

The more I play the more I realize BF1 is the better game, and it’s not really close. I’ll still keep playing because I already bought it but I honestly can’t name one aspect of this game that’s better than BF1.

I didn’t like 3 and 4 at all. BF1 was my favorite BF game. Even higher than 1942. I was worried I wouldn’t like this but now I think everything about it is better. It’s basically BF1 but more involved and requires a little more patience. It just takes time to get used to. What aren’t you liking about it? Just curious not trying to opinion shame you or anything.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No spotting is a bummer. That was one of the best parts of the battlefield games. People will say they are glad it’s gone which they are entitled to, but it was just one of the things which could distinguish a good player from an average one. You could not fire your gun once in past battlefields and still make an impact just by spotting people for your squad/team. The new revive mechanic is annoying. Just let me look at the mini-map while I wait to respawn, and if I happen to get revived, great. TTK is too short. Vehicles are worthless (note: I suck at flying so I can’t speak for planes), but I actively avoid vehicles in this game when I used to enjoy going on 50+ kill streaks with the Arty truck in BF1. The most obvious complaint is not being able to see people. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been looking right at someone and couldn’t distinguish them from the background until they started shooting at me. 4 man squads instead of 5 just means I only get to play with 3 of my friends instead of 4. I’m one of those people who would get a service star with a weapon in BF1, and immediately move on to the next weapon. I think I had over 100 unique service stars in BF1, and still hadn’t run out of weapons to use. There’s much less of a choice in weapons in this game. That’s just off the top of my head.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Finally got around to playing V and I’m just not a fan. This new health mechanic is stupid, and the guns you start with are terrible. Yes let me grind through getting shot all to gently caress so I can upgrade my guns eventually someday, it sure is fun spawning in and dying basically instantly and losing heads up battles to pistols with SMGs and LMGs.

I’ll stick to BF1 thanks.

Takes time to get used to since is a big change over previous games. Just a few things when starting like all the starting weapons are fully upgraded so you aren't hosed completely. Ammo crates need to be used but they replenish 1 gadget and all ammo while pouches is only ammo.

-The Sturmgewehr 1-5 (starting assault weapon) is quite good, after a bit of playing assault you unlock the Gewehr 43 (semi auto rifle) which is amazing at medium/long range.

-Sten (medic starter) is really good at aim down sights and not that great at hipfiring. Medics are underpowered right now but the MP40 and MP28 are good weapons and you unlock them fast.

-KE7 for support is one of the best weapons in the game hands down, I'm not a fan of it but is universally praised (and will even get a slight nerf soon).

At level 8 support you unlock a new support class that 3d spots for all the team when you suppress an enemy, use that. A good weapon for this is the Lewis gun with extended magazines (94 rounds). Assault as tank buster will 3d spot tanks on impact. Scouts will spot when shooting people or with the spot gadget.

Avoid spawning in teammates when possible, this game is really fast and most of the time will get you killed. I can't comment on sniping since I never play it on BF game. The game still needs a lot of work and they'll be dropping more weapons and the first balance patch in a few days.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

RCarr posted:

No spotting is a bummer. That was one of the best parts of the battlefield games. People will say they are glad it’s gone which they are entitled to, but it was just one of the things which could distinguish a good player from an average one. You could not fire your gun once in past battlefields and still make an impact just by spotting people for your squad/team. The new revive mechanic is annoying. Just let me look at the mini-map while I wait to respawn, and if I happen to get revived, great. TTK is too short. Vehicles are worthless (note: I suck at flying so I can’t speak for planes), but I actively avoid vehicles in this game when I used to enjoy going on 50+ kill streaks with the Arty truck in BF1. The most obvious complaint is not being able to see people. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been looking right at someone and couldn’t distinguish them from the background until they started shooting at me. 4 man squads instead of 5 just means I only get to play with 3 of my friends instead of 4. I’m one of those people who would get a service star with a weapon in BF1, and immediately move on to the next weapon. I think I had over 100 unique service stars in BF1, and still hadn’t run out of weapons to use. There’s much less of a choice in weapons in this game. That’s just off the top of my head.

You can still spot if you want to be a pacifist, just pick recon and equip the spotting scope. Being a spotter is way more effective in this game because no one expects it.

I quite prefer the spotting system in this game over Bf1. There is nothing fun about getting spotted and instantly killed as 4 people bullet spam you from different directions

Also tbh nobody should be able to get in a vehicle and get 50+ kills. If the game lets you do that the game is unbalanced

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Spotting in this game is better in theory, however, the devs have confirmed that there’s an unintended bug right now where you show up as a red dot on the minimap whenever you kill someone. I was wondering why I’d get random spot assists when I didn’t actually spot anyone!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^ohhh I was wondering why that was happening earlier! I was playing recon for the first time and thought it was something about the class.

A Typical Goon posted:

You can still spot if you want to be a pacifist, just pick recon and equip the spotting scope. Being a spotter is way more effective in this game because no one expects it.

I quite prefer the spotting system in this game over Bf1. There is nothing fun about getting spotted and instantly killed as 4 people bullet spam you from different directions

Also tbh nobody should be able to get in a vehicle and get 50+ kills. If the game lets you do that the game is unbalanced

This is basically my take. At first I didn’t want this game when I learned about the spotting change. I always liked the spotting because I could be a wimp and hang back for points. Now I have to commit to spot people, and they do too! If someone wants to reveal me to their team they have to physically engage with me and I appreciate that more every game. It keeps the players honest. It seems like they have restructured the entire game to force even solo players like myself to be more aware of squad members and the flow of each battle. It’s less disconnected than previous Battlefield games. Everything is tightly linked without requiring the kind of team coordination that some of the more tactical milsims require.

I’m really happy with BFV. They took a risk and scraped off some of the old rust. There’s work to be done but I love the base of this game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I thought you show up on the radar because you fired your gun, ala cod minimap

Are you not supposed to show up on radar at all unless spotted by a recon?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 30, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Yea, I understand if people like the new system better, it's not that it's bad, I just prefer the old way.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Kilometers Davis posted:

^ohhh I was wondering why that was happening earlier! I was playing recon for the first time and thought it was something about the class.

This is basically my take. At first I didn’t want this game when I learned about the spotting change. I always liked the spotting because I could be a wimp and hang back for points. Now I have to commit to spot people, and they do too! If someone wants to reveal me to their team they have to physically engage with me and I appreciate that more every game..

I agree. In BF4 and BF1 I was constantly mashing the spot button and shooting at symbols because it worked great with pretty much no downside. This game rewards being preceptive but did take some getting used to.

Only bad thing is the whole being spotted after getting a kill but until its fixed I just assume someone is coming after me after each kill.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

WALLGOD posted:

I agree. In BF4 and BF1 I was constantly mashing the spot button and shooting at symbols because it worked great with pretty much no downside. This game rewards being preceptive but did take some getting used to.

Only bad thing is the whole being spotted after getting a kill but until its fixed I just assume someone is coming after me after each kill.

I have a hard time taking the factions apparts. And not being english native, *Everyone* in the game sounds german to me. I don't play BFV, I play "Germany Civil War: Babiera versus Prusia". The iron cross against another iron cross of the same color.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I got pretty sick of shooting at doritos from the previous games.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I thought you show up on the radar because you fired your gun, ala cod minimal.

Are you not supposed to show up on radar at all unless spotted by a recon?

You are only supposed to show up on the radar if you are spotted by a flare, I believe. You get the dorito if you are suppressed by a support, hit by a sniper, or spotted with the spotting scope.

I could be wrong, there doesn’t seem to be a strong consensus on how this works...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I just assumed I show up because I started shooting and (basically) everytime I would shoot, some enemy would pop up and find me and kill me.

I'm glad that's gonna be fixed. It'll mean we can be more sneaky again and moving as a squad will be way better.

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ineffiable posted:

Got your invite. I also help maintain the goon platoon (our tag is [butt]) so apply for it and I'll get you in so you can just party up with butt members anytime one is on.

Hey, could you approve YALL-SO-CRAZY?

thanks

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Tei posted:

I have a hard time taking the factions apparts. And not being english native, *Everyone* in the game sounds german to me. I don't play BFV, I play "Germany Civil War: Babiera versus Prusia". The iron cross against another iron cross of the same color.

That's a valid point I agree with as well. Both sides have access to similar-looking uniforms and that can make it difficult to tell sides apart from a quick glance. Another thing I miss is telling classes apart based on uniforms (medics have crutches, scouts always have long coats or capes, etc)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I don't need to know who the medic is. I just shoot the guy (or girl) sprinting towards the other person I just shot.

Assault are the ones not immediately cheesing it when they see a tank.

Recon is that guy 200 meters away.

Support is where all those tracers are coming from.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rorobb posted:

You are only supposed to show up on the radar if you are spotted by a flare, I believe. You get the dorito if you are suppressed by a support, hit by a sniper, or spotted with the spotting scope.

I could be wrong, there doesn’t seem to be a strong consensus on how this works...

I think you're supposed to show up on the mini-map as a red dot if you shoot your gun and as the red diamond if someone that isn't using a sniper scope R1 spots you. You get 3D spotted by the sniper scope

I'm not 100% sure but I think that's how it works. With the new spotting I spend a lot of time starring at the mini map

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tei posted:

It would be nice if they differentiated them a bit more, yeah. I used to play a lot of RO2 and one thing I really liked was that the animations for the soldiers was different as well as the clothes. You could instantly tell if any running soldier was Russian or German because Russians held on to their guns with both hands while running while Germans would hold on with one hand and run with the guns at their sides.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tei posted:

Well I am a native English speaker and I can't tell them apart either, or on who's side I am on in a given fight.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

Vehicles are worthless (note: I suck at flying so I can’t speak for planes), but I actively avoid vehicles in this game when I used to enjoy going on 50+ kill streaks with the Arty truck in BF1..

I’m glad you hate the vehicles in this, but I suggest you try flying the bombers before they get nerfed since they provide that same gameplay of lazily racking up kills by yourself

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

WALLGOD posted:

Yeah, me too. In fact, the most effective way to play the game was to constantly mash R1 over and over in the hopes you might spot somebody. Honestly, it was a huge pain in the rear end and I much prefer not having to do that.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ineffiable posted:

Got your invite. I also help maintain the goon platoon (our tag is [butt]) so apply for it and I'll get you in so you can just party up with butt members anytime one is on.

I believe I was in [Butt] for bf4,

But if I'm not, could you please add me?

PSN: GhostStalker512

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't get it... I can tell everyone apart just fine just by their voices and uniforms. I'm really confused

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I always changed the localization voices off. It was hilarious for BF1 as I'm loading into an Operations map and being lectured in German or French.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
 ‏‏‎ 

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 1, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I play BFV with a headset and I can tell appart german soldier screaming and british rambling and I'm not a native speaker, hell even in discord with other 7 goons. Make sure you set audio either to war tapes or 3d headset (is actually sound tech for non sorround ones) and everything will sound a bit better.

If you are alllied and hear SANITÄTER! is kind of obvious. Footsteps are the actual problem and they're getting a fix because they're almost silent right now.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
someone remind me why I bought the deluxe edition: it's for these special assignments? Not being negative here, just want to know.

is it me or is annoying to have to set up allies and axis loadouts? i get that it's for a little depth in terms of cosmetics, but it's annoying when you've forgotten to change one's counterpart

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

All of this is correct except for BF1 being anything approaching a fun game.

Also DICE needs to quit with this stupid "choose the vehicle you want from the spawn screen". You built the drat maps, you probably have some idea of what vehicles make for fun gameplay on a given map. I get that they're trying to give people a chance to shape their own battles, but given how their map design quality is consistently getting worse in each BF game, maybe they shouldn't throw away proven ideas like only allowing specific numbers of X vehicles per map.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I really don't get the bf1 hate? I get that it felt quite different from bf4 but most of the hate ends up being people calling it casualfield 1 etc. The entire series is a casual arcade style shooter, so I don't really get the obsession with tryharding?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Just picked this up from GameStop, on sale for $40.

You know I gotta say it’s whatever for what most people come to shootman games for but I really appreciate the long intro thing talking about the horrors of war and death and such.

At least pretending to give a poo poo about the gravity of death and war and poo poo is nice compared to Blops4 just being like here pick your superhero shoot man kill kill kill

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I would like to join Butt please. I got the game today so should be on soon.

Online_and_Nice is my psn

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lambskin posted:

I really don't get the bf1 hate? I get that it felt quite different from bf4 but most of the hate ends up being people calling it casualfield 1 etc. The entire series is a casual arcade style shooter, so I don't really get the obsession with tryharding?

Fair enough, I guess the skill ceiling was lowered in BF1 below what I arbitrarily consider fun.

I'm realistic, just as I recognize Metro and Locker were miserable 64 player maps, they were also the most popular (for some reason I can't ever fathom) so DICE is right to build toward that audience. It's just disappointing to see Battlefield continue its slide into "games I no longer want to play". I wish it had some competitor in the playspace, but there are no vehicle based FPS games of even remotely similar caliber out there.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I suppose I just disagree about the skill ceiling being lowered, at least in terms of gunplay. I know elite kits and behemoths lowered the skill ceiling somewhat, but I like how each class had a clearly defined role and range in which they were effective.