Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

why is japan so much better than us, look at that dude with his head out the window!!!

i need a bongo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That Rugger is goddamn awesome and looks almost new based on those pictures. I feel like the Bongo would make a kick-rear end parts runner if you ever get an actual dealership going.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Love the pics of both vehicles! On the Bongo, I'd replace that wooden beam on top of the headache rack with an amber & white LED light bar/strobe combo. Also no clue what function those side clamps have, unless the wooden beam was used to support longer objects (like a ladder or lumber) and those clamps were there to help secure the load.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Tampa is an hour north from us, we're in Sarasota. Different counties, but anything is possible I suppose.
My issue is I was expecting the tape to just start playing when I inserted the tape but nothing happens, the mechanism doesn't catch or anything. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but I was looking in the manual (as in waving my google translate app over it) and saw some things I can try to get it to work. I'll look at it more tomorrow.

Ah, nope... I've only been down to Sarasota a handful of times.

That's different than mine (whirs loudly, won't play). At the moment I've just got one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters for my phone, but now that work is slowing down I'm going to try and fix the tape deck, or worst case try rolling the dice with another one from the wreckers. In honour of the car's 90s-ness, my partner and I have been talking about doing a 90s roadtrip weekend for a while now; switch our phones off, use paper maps, a film camera, and make some mixtapes to listen to. Have everything we need (including a casette recorder for transferring Spotify playlists to tapes) aside from a working tape deck in the car :argh:

If you want to post a photo of those pages of the manual I can take a stab at translating, although it sounds like there probably is some kinda fault. You can probably bag another OEM one on Yahoo Auctions (which is a huge PITA to do from overseas), your guy in Japan can likely hook it up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm gonna guess that the spring loaded clamp had to do with a fitted tarp or "troop carrier" type removable cover for the bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Riller posted:

Love the pics of both vehicles! On the Bongo, I'd replace that wooden beam on top of the headache rack with an amber & white LED light bar/strobe combo. Also no clue what function those side clamps have, unless the wooden beam was used to support longer objects (like a ladder or lumber) and those clamps were there to help secure the load.

That’s what I was thinking. The hooks are just the stowed position, probably.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just saw the Bongo on FB from JCD

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

hitze posted:

why is japan so much better than us, look at that dude with his head out the window!!!

i need a bongo

The manuals are fantastic for poo poo like that, just cute little pictures with so much character. As a reminder I bought this Bongo for $629 (70500 yen, now shows as 621 rip exchange rates) at auction, as it sits (once I get Florida title on it) I will be into it for $3700. If I weren't a dealer I'd have to pay taxes on that 629 bucks but as it is now just the flat 95 dollar title fee. Since this is a vehicle-meant-for-work and only a 2 (technically 3 I guess) seater I did have to pay 25% vs. the normal 2.5% that I paid on the Rugger.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That Rugger is goddamn awesome and looks almost new based on those pictures. I feel like the Bongo would make a kick-rear end parts runner if you ever get an actual dealership going.

It is brand new. I'm going to end up keeping it for a while as I really liked the 85 I had, this is 2 generations ahead of that one, is intercooled and coil-sprung. As soon as it's legal I'm going to see what it's like on the highway as that's what did in the 85. Hoping that (like the Jimnys) the 90s Rugger is geared more toward street usability and has a gearing better suited to interstate drives. I've already got a set of BF Goodrich K02s to put on it with white letters out, and I'm thinking I'm going to powdercoat the wheels in the same gold color that the decals are.
There is a use-case for the Bongo as we are already a dealership even if just a tiny tiny one. This is the first pickup truck that I've ever had in my possession and I adore the potential utility of it. I love it's tiny, love that it's bright yellow, I love that the rear wheels are smaller than the fronts specifically to make loading things in the back easier. It's exactly the sort of design that everyone that has a pickup around here needs but would never actually want. Plus I got it for so little money that it's essentially just a few digits under 'operating cost' and can ride under the dealership insurance. We'll keep it for a while and see what happens. People love it already though.

Riller posted:

That upper wood beam is specifically meant to cushion longer things that need to rest up on the top there, yeah. For style points some old-style HELLA round lights up there would be pretty choice, even if they were never used and just had the covers on them the whole time.

Darchangel posted:

That’s what I was thinking. The hooks are just the stowed position, probably.

I think you guys are right with them just being extra clamps.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 1, 2018

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Sigh, looking wistfully at v12 Toyota Centuries that won't be legal to import for years.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hot drat the Bongo looks great!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

The guys earlier in the thread dogging on the 2.8 diesel and the 2.4 headgasket-exploder engines had nothing but good things to say about the 3.0 KZ turbo diesel.

Your not wrong there. The old 2.8D in my hilux could barely spin a single rear wheel in the wet when it had 205R16 tyres on it. The 1KZ I dropped into it from a jap surf was more than capable of spinning both rear wheels with the locker in, on 285/75R16 tyres all the way from first to third!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Broke my own rule today and went for a journey before changing the oil

Went down to Venice to pick up 69 (nice) cookie jars. Wife is a sell-on-the-internet vintage dealer lady so the fact that we could just go pick up almost 70 of the things for so little money was great. Ad said that you had to take them all and the Bongo did it perfectly.
The ride was smooth, the AC worked great, glided at 80kmh the whole time down 41. Tons of attention, morso than anything else so far, probably because of how garish the thing is. We tied down that tarp on the right side and used bungee cords for the rest. We lowered the left side do load everything when we had the tarp folded and dang what a pain in the rear end this would have been if the bed was higher, if we couldn't fold down the sides and also just didn't have it. No other vehicle we have could have done this as easily.

Shifting gears is odd though because there is aprox. 3 miles of linkages to the transmission. When you shift from 2nd to 3rd it feels like you have to press through spiderwebs, where it slides out of second no issue, but you have to push through that stretchy-spider-web-like feeling to get to neutral, then shift into third. Normally you'd click out of second then directly into third, but not here. Transistioning from the bottom of the selector to the top means going through that stretchy bit between. Same for going top to bottom.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

When 2022 rolls around, I need a Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution. Hopefully they don't become a huge fad between now and then.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

solarNativity posted:

When 2022 rolls around, I need a Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution. Hopefully they don't become a huge fad between now and then.

I've been drooling over those as well! I'm hoping to enjoy my '93 for a few years and then sell it to fund the upgrade to the Evolution.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Christmas came early this year!

It fired right up and drove well around the block! I'm 6'2" so it really feels like I'm driving a clown car but it's a blast.

I couldn't get insurance on it via Travelers so I am calling Geico.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

johnnyonetime posted:

Christmas came early this year!

It fired right up and drove well around the block! I'm 6'2" so it really feels like I'm driving a clown car but it's a blast.

I couldn't get insurance on it via Travelers so I am calling Geico.

Nice, FWIW I have had no problem adding 2 imports to Progressive, they put me on hold for a few minutes I guess to go ask someone how to add the VIN and 5 minutes later I have the updated insurance card in email.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

everdave posted:

Nice, FWIW I have had no problem adding 2 imports to Progressive, they put me on hold for a few minutes I guess to go ask someone how to add the VIN and 5 minutes later I have the updated insurance card in email.

Thanks! I might have to do that. I went back and read the OP and saw KakerMix uses a local insurance broker so I just got off the phone with a guy in my town. I'll see what he says and if it's a no I'll call Progressive!

EDIT: I got a quote back from a local broker, $221.57 a month! Forget that, I made the call to Progressive and they got it taken care of in about 20 minutes.

I hope getting a registration and plates isn't an ordeal, but I'll work through it.

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

johnnyonetime posted:

Thanks! I might have to do that. I went back and read the OP and saw KakerMix uses a local insurance broker so I just got off the phone with a guy in my town. I'll see what he says and if it's a no I'll call Progressive!

I hope getting a registration and plates isn't an ordeal, but I'll work through it.

I am in no ways shilling for Progressive but they def won't have a problem adding.

My first one was an ordeal, Kaker is the expert but also he is in Florida things seem "easier" there. Make sure to include a copy of the invoice from JCD as that is what held mine up for months. Now my Landcruiser they are asking for the clearance info when I already included that poo poo. Sigh.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Shifting gears is odd though because there is aprox. 3 miles of linkages to the transmission. When you shift from 2nd to 3rd it feels like you have to press through spiderwebs, where it slides out of second no issue, but you have to push through that stretchy-spider-web-like feeling to get to neutral, then shift into third. Normally you'd click out of second then directly into third, but not here. Transistioning from the bottom of the selector to the top means going through that stretchy bit between. Same for going top to bottom.

If you replace all the bushings in the linkage it should improve the shifting quite a bit. It's one of the first things I do when i buy an older manual car. The shifter itself might have some bushings in it as well so check that too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you replace all the bushings in the linkage it should improve the shifting quite a bit. It's one of the first things I do when i buy an older manual car. The shifter itself might have some bushings in it as well so check that too.

I will be checking out the bushings.....later. I did finish detailing the interior today. Upside to 'All Vinyl' is that I did the whole thing with magic erasers (aka melamine foam), water, a bit of windex, a stiff brush and paper towels. Finished off with 303. Looks pretty clean now.

I also did up photoshop of the wheels on the Rugger to get an idea if it would work:

I think it looks pretty dang good, and with the white letter knobby tires on there oh boy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that looks good, do eet mang.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

johnnyonetime posted:

EDIT: I got a quote back from a local broker, $221.57 a month! Forget that, I made the call to Progressive and they got it taken care of in about 20 minutes.

I have travelers and I have had a bunch of foreign Vin cars on my policy. Are you going through them.directly or using a broker?

I go through a broker so maybe he twists their arm, that's my story.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I have travelers and I have had a bunch of foreign Vin cars on my policy. Are you going through them.directly or using a broker?

Yeah it seems the takeaway here is brokers, always and forever.

Shame this Hilux is much more worn than I wish it were, it matches the Bongo!

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

I called the main support number in Tennessee. I should have just called a local Travelers agent. The agent put me on hold and talked to an underwriter and they informed me that they wouldn't insure "grey market" vehicles. It worked out for the best though, I switched all my crap over to Progressive and it only raised my premiums by $12 a month adding the Sambar!

Side note: I went to the Colorado DMV yesterday and got rejected but it was only because I need a VIN Verification and the Export Certificate notarized. So it won't be a huge ordeal getting a registration after all!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

johnnyonetime posted:

What? I have 4 cars, one full coverage, 2 JAPANESE imports and my whole thing is just $120 or so a month with like super low deductible (whatever the lowest they would give me would t give me 0 anymore)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

everdave posted:

What? I have 4 cars, one full coverage, 2 JAPANESE imports and my whole thing is just $120 or so a month with like super low deductible (whatever the lowest they would give me would t give me 0 anymore)

Where are you at that has insurance that low?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wargames posted:

Where are you at that has insurance that low?

Yeah I have liability on a Honda accord in ATL and it's almost $200 a month for just that.

I'm 24 and male but I don't have a single ticket on record.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yall gettin hosed by insurance

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

yall gettin hosed by insurance

yup it loving sucks

I've looked everywhere and can't fine a lower rate than the one I have :(

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Please remember that for the most part insurance quotes are not comparable, you have to factor in state of residence, record, credit score, type of car, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

This is to confuse you so you feel that they must be right.

In the end get a broker, if they are ethical and good at their job they will do wonders for you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I thought my $120 was high. I am 41 and a homeowner but I have filed claims and they have paid them. I think the last 2 cars only added like $10 each a month at most.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Please remember that for the most part insurance quotes are not comparable, you have to factor in state of residence, record, credit score, type of car, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

This is to confuse you so you feel that they must be right.

In the end get a broker, if they are ethical and good at their job they will do wonders for you.

I'm young and don't know what you mean by "get a broker"?

Are there people that you can hire to get you lower auto insurance rates? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing because I'm a poo poo head kid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. They are called "insurance brokers" and their job is to sell you insurance. Sometimes they can get you a lower rate because they will check your eligibility across a bunch of insurers, using as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as they can. Typically, the insurance companies pay them, so they should not cost you anything.

However, it's not a total panacea. Sometimes the best price you can get is with an insurance company that doesn't work with brokers, or that your broker doesn't work with.

Also, inevitably whenever someone mentions what they're paying for insurance, threads derail into long sets of posts in which some people are outraged at such high prices and others are shocked by such low prices. But insurance varies wildly by zip code, and then still a lot by driver record. If you live somewhere that cars are more frequently stolen, your rates will be higher regardless of your record, age, etc.

Moreover, large insurance companies have models that tell them to accumulate more policies in such-and-such a geographic region this month, while not accumulating more in some-other-place this month, etc. They accomplish this by offering lower or higher prices for policies in those regions. So on any given date, the quote you get from a given insurer could be much higher or lower than it "should be" based on your particulars.

The end result is that it's difficult or impossible to compare people's rates to each other. If your next door neighbor is the same age and gender and education level and marrital status as you, drives an identical car, and has a better rate, then maybe give their insurer a call. That's about it.

Finally: one should not only shop on rates. The lowest possible rate is not necessarily going to be the best, because insurers do vary in quality - how stingy they are with paying out vs. contesting claims, in particular. A good insurer with good customer service and a good record of claims payment is worth a premium over the maximum-discount insurer.

Which goes back to one of the values a good broker can provide: they can steer you away from lovely companies that rip off their customers.

Personally I had an excellent claims experience with Amica when my car was totaled, and as a result I'm sticking with them. I've heard very good things about USAA, too. I have an insurance broker I use for my homeowners and earthquake policy, but last time I talked to him (which was probably 8 years ago, so YMMV) Amica didn't work with brokers, so I bought my car insurance separately.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Insurance sucks rear end but at least you can hop and jump around without issue.

Speaking of:

Today I learned that, with dealer plates in Florida, I can put them on a car immediately and start driving around. The in-state registration only is required when I sell the car. The registration follows the plate, so when you put it on a car that registration is to that vehicle. I was told this directly from the Palmetto DMV office. :shrug:
Insurance is on the plates as well.
I could have been driving the Rugger the whole freakin' time!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 5, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

-85013- 5mt, ac, diesel turbo, small chips in windshield, interior worn and dirty, studless tires, undercarraige surface rust, sunroof not working, mirrors paint peeling, additional gauges, other dents scratches paint peeling paint faded

Inspection posted:

-85013- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker from 2000 81,300 km, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, oil leak from center diff dripping to ground, studless tires at 70% some cracks, spare cover tears, rear glass film bubbles, no leaks mold or rust in trunk area, undercarriage surface rust only, boots ok, roof paint peeling, chips in windshield small, drivers seat worn on door side, other seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, chock lever falls off, right side mirror not working, windows ok, wipers ok, sunroof not working

Initially bid 812000 yen or so, was informed that Mat had someone that was going to bid 822000, I then jumped by bid to 855000 yen. Sold for 889000 to some other auction house :negative:

1991 Land Cruiser Prado EX, excellent shape, ~5 speed manual~, 2.4 L turbo diesel, 4x4, 4 door, long wheelbase. Quite rare and I would have liked to have it but clipping up to 8k USD is KZ Prado money territory.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I guess EX has sunroof and what else? Mine is an SX

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I guess EX has sunroof and what else? Mine is an SX

I just assumed it was the top trim for the Prado at the time, optioned with a 5 speed rather than the auto.

Auction Sheet posted:

70163- 5mt, ac, owner's manual, diesel, steering wheel worn, wheels and mirrors scratched, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratched, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, carpet stains, steering wheel cover installed, other dents scratches paint faded paint waves

Inspector posted:

70163- engine starts idles and revs fine, some "diesel" smoke, no vibrations, timing belt sticker at 11/2008 67,xxxkm, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, no oil leaks, tires have 40% starting to crack, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage surface rust only, boots ok, windshield chips small, seats sunk and covers installed but ok, dashboard slightly bent on passenger side, ceiling liner dirty, interior and carpets dirty, no burns, ac ok, gears ok, clutch ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok water in left tail lens, manual windows, wipers ok

WELCOME 2 DELICA TOWNE

1988 Mitsubishi Delica Wagon EXCEED, light blue and white with sick 4WD graphics. 2.5 L turbo diesel, 5 speed manual, 126,000 km on the clock. Looks like it's going to need some white letter tires installed and a good deep-clean. 663,000 yen or around 5900 USD.

EDIT
If it was one of you that went for that Firetruck Daihatsu Deckvan I'm only a little jealous. You bid a *lot* for that thing imho.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 6, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A delica like that can go for that, but I have seen most go for a million. At least the ones I have bid on.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm a sucker for those inclinometers that the Japanese seem to love putting in 4x4s. That Delica owns pretty hard and I absolutely agree on the chunky RWLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
where da jdm e30s at