Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like to muddle a piece of orange peel in a turbinado or demerara syrup, then drench it in bitters. Then the rye, then the ice. Very simple.

A cherry is acceptable if it's a brandied cherry you made yourself. I don't recommend a maraschino cherry, not even a real maraschino cherry.

I use Rye. Bulleit is my go-to, Redemption and Rittenhouse are quite good. If I'm not using rye, I usually give whiskey in general a pass and use dark rum. Appleton and Pusser's make a good Old Fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

virinvictus posted:

So, what’s the go-to whiskey for an old fashioned? I’ve been drinking it this week with a Bulleit Rye, but some people suggest bourbon.

But, to be fair, people can’t even agree on how many dashes of angostura bitters or if there’s fruit in it or not.

The only traditional fruit is a orange peel expressed over the surface.

As for bourbon I like a wheated bourbon in a old fashioned, and Larceny hits on all the right notes for me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

chitoryu12 posted:

Then you can mess around with stuff like mezcal and tequila.

I literally just came to this thread to gush about an Oaxaca Old Fashioned, after having my first one just now :hf:

The worst part of bringing an amazing brand of mezcal back to the states is knowing you can't get more of it easily :suicide:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

I literally just came to this thread to gush about an Oaxaca Old Fashioned, after having my first one just now :hf:

The worst part of bringing an amazing brand of mezcal back to the states is knowing you can't get more of it easily :suicide:

Which brand?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
If anybody happens to find themselves in Rehoboth Beach in the off season I can happily recommend 208 Social for fun cocktails. We did a tasting menu with another couple who are adventurous enough eaters but picky drinkers and all four of us loved everything they served. We had some really nice flavor combinations and ingredients that I've never tried before and even the anti-whiskey / anti-liquor members of our party were very impressed with the drinks.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

3000 Noches - Tobalá Joven. $65 usd while in Mexico, I can imagine after importing it'd be out of my price range :-/

I'm sure there are other brands just as good and cheaper in the US, but I won't get the chance again to sample ~30 kinds before buying.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

voodoorootbeer posted:

If anybody happens to find themselves in Rehoboth Beach in the off season I can happily recommend 208 Social for fun cocktails. We did a tasting menu with another couple who are adventurous enough eaters but picky drinkers and all four of us loved everything they served. We had some really nice flavor combinations and ingredients that I've never tried before and even the anti-whiskey / anti-liquor members of our party were very impressed with the drinks.

I live here and always mean to check this place out- so this is good to know

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

BrianBoitano posted:

3000 Noches - Tobalá Joven. $65 usd while in Mexico, I can imagine after importing it'd be out of my price range :-/

I'm sure there are other brands just as good and cheaper in the US, but I won't get the chance again to sample ~30 kinds before buying.

Oh man I had a single glass of the Del Maguey Single Village Tobala at a bar. So good. So expensive. To me a $65 bottle is itself way more than I like to spend. That's life.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

voodoorootbeer posted:

I'm going there for Christmas; I'll check it out.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey folks, throwing an earlier Holidays party here. Any recommendations for an appropriate punch? Definitely looking to have something super good for good friends.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Check the last page (or two?)

E: found it!

Lokee posted:

Just going to go ahead and repost Kenning's Punch List since I haven't seen it come up in a while.

I've been using Trello a lot lately to collaborate menu revisions and like, if I put together a recipe board for this thread would people post to it?

edit- couldn't help myself

Invite Link:
https://trello.com/invite/b/sQLYidgs/2c6aad330e64ecc5393b5636d04302a8/sa-cocktail-nerd-jamboree

Also page 168 has a wedding fall punch back-and-forth

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 30, 2018

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BrianBoitano posted:

Check the last page (or two?)

E: found it!

Also page 168 has a wedding fall punch back-and-forth

I went 2 pages back, not 3!!!

Thank you :)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Any good cocktail blogs that people stay current with?
I'm always looking to expand my horizons with new drinks to try or bottles to keep my eyes open for.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Any good cocktail blogs that people stay current with?
I'm always looking to expand my horizons with new drinks to try or bottles to keep my eyes open for.

Not blogs, per se, but I do follow Punch and, to a lesser extent, Imbibe.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

Not blogs, per se, but I do follow Punch and, to a lesser extent, Imbibe.

I don't know if it's connected, but i just bought "Imbibe!" the book and I'm looking forward to reading it. Everything I've read about it has gone heavy on the positives in that I'm not hearing any complaints.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Imbibe! is required reading for anyone interested in the history of cocktails in america tbqh

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Imbibe! is required reading for anyone interested in the history of cocktails in america tbqh

Great book. Own that one + 12 other books.
Imbibe! Is a great read, educational and just well written

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I think the OO was referring to the magazine Imbibe which isn’t great and the rest of you are referring to Wondrichs book.

All of Wondrichs writing is great, we are drinking buddies and have given a few talks together on panels, he’s always a hoot.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I like to muddle a piece of orange peel in a turbinado or demerara syrup, then drench it in bitters. Then the rye, then the ice. Very simple.

A cherry is acceptable if it's a brandied cherry you made yourself. I don't recommend a maraschino cherry, not even a real maraschino cherry.

I use Rye. Bulleit is my go-to, Redemption and Rittenhouse are quite good. If I'm not using rye, I usually give whiskey in general a pass and use dark rum. Appleton and Pusser's make a good Old Fashioned.

Which of the Appleton offerings would you recommend? They seem to have a number of offerings around the same price... Estate Reserve, Estate Signature, and Estate Extra 12.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
A wheated bourbon makes and excellent old fashioned, also there is no muddling of peel only of sugars and butters. The peel is for expressing over the top.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

A wheated bourbon makes and excellent old fashioned, also there is no muddling of peel only of sugars and butters. The peel is for expressing over the top.

This is not at all gospel and you ought not purport it as such.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

A wheated bourbon makes and excellent old fashioned, also there is no muddling of peel only of sugars and butters.
Yes, there is.

quote:

The peel is for expressing over the top.
No, it isn't.

quote:

My fedora looks cool.
No, it doesn't.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wheated bourbons make bland old fashionds, We don't use a sugar cube in our old fashioneds because it isn't loving 1920 and there's no practical reason to use one and gritty sugar in a drink is awful sucks AND we express our peels rather than mudle them eat it nerds

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mentalcontempt posted:

Which of the Appleton offerings would you recommend? They seem to have a number of offerings around the same price... Estate Reserve, Estate Signature, and Estate Extra 12.

Considering the price jump from signature to reserve is usually $3 and the jump from signature to 12 is $5... 12. It's one of the best liquor value propositions out there

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Signature for mixing, 12 for sipping, definitely. The 12 is hard to get here. Christ, Virginia ABC has high prices and a lovely selection. The only good thing about them is that the prices are the same in every store statewide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This is not at all gospel and you ought not purport it as such.

Muddling the fruit at the bottom adds excessive fruitiness and sweetness to a drink that should be about the liquid ingredients. Just because it was popular in the 1960s doesn't mean it's that good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The only hard and fast rule with Old Fashioneds is don't be this guy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Halloween Jack posted:

Though, the jefferson bourbon, luxardo cherry, sprite, no bitters one I was generously made at a convention was not tremendously great.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Muddling the fruit at the bottom adds excessive fruitiness and sweetness to a drink that should be about the liquid ingredients. Just because it was popular in the 1960s doesn't mean it's that good.

Pressing a peel =\= muddling fruit. We are talking about two totally different things.

E: don’t serve unstrained muddled fruit to anyone, it’s a surefire way to get things stuck in their teeth and it is poor etiquette.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I think they're talking about just the peel, not a whole slice of fruit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lokee posted:

Just going to go ahead and repost Kenning's Punch List since I haven't seen it come up in a while.

I've been using Trello a lot lately to collaborate menu revisions and like, if I put together a recipe board for this thread would people post to it?

edit- couldn't help myself

Invite Link:
https://trello.com/invite/b/sQLYidgs/2c6aad330e64ecc5393b5636d04302a8/sa-cocktail-nerd-jamboree

Thank you!

I posted my personal cocktail on there already!

EDIT: Kenning, BTW, you saved my bacon. My mother is holding a cocktail party for her 65th birthday, so I suggested a punch instead of me having to bartend all night. She loved the idea, so I'm making your admiral's punch for her.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 6, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thoht posted:

I think they're talking about just the peel, not a whole slice of fruit.

Okay yeah, a peel at the bottom is fine (though I prefer it twisted over the drink and put on the top of the glass so you can smell it as you drink). Muddled fruit should stay far away from any drink trying to call itself "an Old Fashioned" with no other qualifiers.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't see anything wrong with the way he makes it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't see anything wrong with the way he makes it?
It's possible to talk about cocktails without putting down everyone who doesn't use your recipe, and it's also possible to talk about cocktails without sounding like someone hawking patent medicine to prospectors in the Black Hills.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Honestly the OLD FASHIONED is a drink designed to cover up lovely spirit anyways so just make it however the gently caress you want. There is a ton of leeway in the drink and the idea that there was an proscribed way to make the drink at all is bunk

chitoryu12 posted:

Muddled fruit should stay far away from any drink trying to call itself "an Old Fashioned" with no other qualifiers.

I'll fuckin fight you over the provenance of wisconsin old fashioned mate, there's a whole state that likes and enjoys muddled fruit in their old fashioned and I've had some positively fine Wisconsin OFs

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh lord that is painful to look at.

At this point I pretty much only drink Old Fashioneds or wine, I'll make it any which way but generally just stick to makers + syrup + bitters + a brandied cherry + a big block of ice. Simple is fine. I was very surprised this year that at almost every wedding I went to the bartenders couldn't put one together.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

One of the old fasioneds I enjoyed most was one I had at 10:30 AM on a thurdsay at BWI made by a half awake bartender who shook it with an orange wedge and a bad cherry for 5 seconds with the enthusiasm of a bored house wife giving a hand job while watching TV, dirty dumped that poo poo into my rocks glass and called it a day and i enjoyed every moment of the experience hell yeah

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Edit: didn't preview

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'll fuckin fight you over the provenance of wisconsin old fashioned mate, there's a whole state that likes and enjoys muddled fruit in their old fashioned and I've had some positively fine Wisconsin OFs

I've had brandy Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs, but not one with muddled fruit. In general I'm really cautious about muddled fruit in cocktails not originally designed for them because it tends to be a way to cover up the alcohol better instead of really adding anything to the drink. They usually go hand in hand with topping the drink up with soda water from a gun so the glass is full.

My favorite Old Fashioned is done at my favorite bar, and it's made in the exact way as that webpage with Medley Bros. bourbon and demerara syrup. It basically serves as a vessel for the whiskey that's easier to drink than a straight shot. I'm also fine with them skipping the cherry because I don't eat it and usually give it to whichever girl I'm with anyway.

I also had an Improved gin cocktail last night from there, made with Bols Genever to try and get closer to the Jerry Thomas era's taste. It's not a bad drink, but you really need to be in the mood for one to order it. The Bols makes it really malty and it blends weirdly with the Luxardo Maraschino and absinthe.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Honestly the OLD FASHIONED is a drink designed to cover up lovely spirit anyways so just make it however the gently caress you want. There is a ton of leeway in the drink and the idea that there was an proscribed way to make the drink at all is bunk

Don’t Wisconsin old fashioned’s have sprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

In general I'm really cautious about muddled fruit in cocktails not originally designed for them because it tends to be a way to cover up the alcohol better instead of really adding anything to the drink.

Fart Car '97 posted: