Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

graph posted:

can plex play bluray rips?

what file format do they rip to

yeah i tried some 30gb bladerunner 2049 4k rip over plex to my tv, tho i honestly didnt notice a big difference in quality on my tv vs like a normal 4gb rip. maybe im just blind or osmething

the formats are almost always .mkv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

graph posted:

no and it rips to some weird video_ts folder structure nonsense

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i kinda miss director/cast/dop commentaries and the other extras you used to get on disc releases.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is bluray 4K or is it something else

i literally dont know anything about this

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i kinda miss director/cast/dop commentaries and the other extras you used to get on disc releases.

same! what was also enjoyable were A.V. club’s commentary tracks of the damned

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
blueray is 1080 I think? I think they need some other format for 4K video?

edit: yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fact that 4K isn't completely uncommon and the physical media is basically a non-starter kind of shows how well physical media is doing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

graph posted:

i literally dont know anything about this

thats uhd bluray, because 4k stuff basically didn't exist when regular bluray was being made in the early 2000s and it would be impractical to put support for it in standalone players + there weren't good codecs to use for compressing it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

when you rip it, it's into mkv as the container, which holds either VC1 or H.264 (AVC) video and who knows what audio (AAC? or any various digital surround thing DTX, Dolby, whatever)

so the files are movietitle.mkv and the device itself unpacks and decodes it. Infuse for ATV is what I use and it's great.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

no and it rips to some weird video_ts folder structure nonsense

no it doesnt

graph posted:

can be, 4K is a new updated format, that uses blu-ray media to contain a brand new packaging on the disc, with encryption that hasn't really been broken yet widely so getting rips is effort intensive. Standard bluray is 1080p, 4k bluray is 2160p, using the same physical media but totally different bits on the disc. my poo poo is 100% 1080p blu ray.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 30, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lancemantis posted:

blueray is 1080 I think? I think they need some other format for 4K video?

isnt dvd also 1080? wtf is the point of bluray again

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

DVD is ED (Enhanced Definion), or "slightly above SD when SD means 480i as in television, and DVD is 480p"

Old TV = SD = 480i
DVD = ED = 480p
Blu = HD = 1080p
4K Blu = UHD = 2160p

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

if you want to watch a 4K movie on Plex you gotta run the server on a modern i5 cpu cause all those premade nas boxes have celerons.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
DVD is 720

a fact that becomes glaringly obvious after enough exposure to both formats :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

graph posted:

dvd is from 1995, it doesn't do anything close to 1080p because that would set anything that could fit in a set top player on fire to decode

lancemantis posted:

DVD is 720

a fact that becomes glaringly obvious after enough exposure to both formats :smith:

you don't seem to be able to count.

the maximum resolution storable is 720x480, typically used with anamorphic stretching to get a widescreen picture with better horizontal resolution than if it used strictly 640x480 square pixels. that's not 720p its 480

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

lancemantis posted:

DVD is 720

but it's not though. DVD is 480p. Blu ray was the first format which could store HD in 720 or 1080 resolutions.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah so maybe thats why its Even More Obvious

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sniep posted:

can be, 4K is a new updated format, that uses blu-ray media to contain a brand new packaging on the disc, with encryption that hasn't really been broken yet widely so getting rips is effort intensive. Standard bluray is 1080p, 4k bluray is 2160p, using the same physical media but totally different bits on the disc. my poo poo is 100% 1080p blu ray.
ahhh maybe thats why i haven't seen many 2160p rips, seemed like non-existent. 1080p rips are everywhere though.

i do run plex from my pc which is an i7-6700k so it should be fine, unless my plex settings are hosed up to transcode things lower.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
speaking of plex, would a thread based on friend requests on plex be considered :filez:

cause I just discovered plex allows you to share libraries

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
while we're talking dead formats

there were VHS-type tapes that recorded japanese HiVision analog hd available in the 90s, for that format's 1035i picture. and from 1998 there was D-VHS which used S-VHS grade tapes to store minimally compressed digital video at 1080p and 720p - tapes held up to 50 GB of data to ft this.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

My Linux Rig posted:

speaking of plex, would a thread based on friend requests on plex be considered :filez:

id keep that in pms or smth. there's no paywall

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

thjeres a paywall for plat tho :o:

but lmao at doing a piracy circle as if everything wasnt everywhere

mystes
May 31, 2006

As was hinted at by them resuming development of the separate Google Voice app (after previously merging Voice into Hangouts and trying to get everyone to switch), google is apparently planning on shutting down Hangouts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

remember when lowtax was running an open plex server and had a stickied thread about it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sadchub

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
did lowtax sell his gtr to pay the bills?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
just a couple of vertebrae

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that up there, thats america

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

Actually the ancient Jews were in favor of both gay marriage and legal marijuana

Leviticus 20:13 "if a Man lies with another man as he would a woman, they should be stoned"

this was a quality post

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

remember when lowtax was running an open plex server and had a stickied thread about it?

i never gave it a shot but it gave me pause

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

Actually the ancient Jews were in favor of both gay marriage and legal marijuana

Leviticus 20:13 "if a Man lies with another man as he would a woman, they should be stoned"

hah, seconding stringent.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

2019 is your last year to use Google Hangouts if you haven’t moved on already

quote:

According to source familiar with the product’s internal roadmap, Google Hangouts for consumers will be shutting down sometime in 2020. That’s not surprising at all since Google essentially ceased development on the app more than a year ago. But just know, going into 2019, this is indeed your last year to keep using the beloved (?) legacy chat app.

https://9to5google.com/2018/11/30/google-hangouts-shutting-down/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo if you youre a google $chat adopter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

DVD is ED (Enhanced Definion), or "slightly above SD when SD means 480i as in television, and DVD is 480p"

Old TV = SD = 480i
DVD = ED = 480p
Blu = HD = 1080p
4K Blu = UHD = 2160p

counting the lines of resolution misses the point for dvd

all dvd content, no matter the resolution, is stored at 720x480. but it is played back in the correct aspect ratio. so your effective resolution for a movie might be 1128x480 for a 2.35:1 picture

but an old timey ntsc tv can only show apporoximately 640x480. and the really truly usable area is more like 600x400. so your dvd playback would get shrunk down from 1128x480 to 600x250 or so

this is why dvd looked so much better as soon as you bought an hdtv

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

yeah i tried some 30gb bladerunner 2049 4k rip over plex to my tv, tho i honestly didnt notice a big difference in quality on my tv vs like a normal 4gb rip. maybe im just blind or osmething

the formats are almost always .mkv

unless your tv is gigantic and you sit six feet away, you won't notice the enhanced resolution

the improved color in bluray uhd, 10 bits per channel and rec.2020, is extremely noticeable. most 4k blurays use the improved color space. if it didn't register for you, it's because your playback setup is broken

(you need very specific video hardware to get 10bpc output working)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unless your tv is gigantic and you sit six feet away, you won't notice the enhanced resolution

the improved color in bluray uhd, 10 bits per channel and rec.2020, is extremely noticeable. most 4k blurays use the improved color space. if it didn't register for you, it's because your playback setup is broken

(you need very specific video hardware to get 10bpc output working)

ah gotcha. I bought a TCL 55" inch that supposedly has HDR but Im not sure if its working or some kinda ghetto budget HDR thing that isn't real hdr? i presume most monitors dont do 10bpc unless specifically noted so?

i'd really have to compare them side by side which i didn't.

What specific hardware is that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

ah gotcha. I bought a TCL 55" inch that supposedly has HDR but Im not sure if its working or some kinda ghetto budget HDR thing that isn't real hdr? i presume most monitors dont do 10bpc unless specifically noted so?

even a cheap lovely TCL is gonna be fine. if it says HDR on the side of the box, at a minimum it supports HDR10, the simpler standard. dolby vision is more complex and also has fewer titles available

computer monitors generally don't support 10bpc. only professional-grade poo poo does. and even with 10bpc support in the panel, you need 10bpc output support from your graphics, and you need os and software support to handle rec.2020 color space + hdr10 or dolby vision playback.

i have a 10 bpc monitor at home but i refuse to pay for a quadro to get usable 10 bpc output support. i wouldn't even know what software is required to play back hdr10 / dv content and get correct color on my 10bpc panel through the quadro

Xaris posted:

• in a pc, a quadro card is the basic minimum, and the software situation is complex
  • in a set top box, you have to shop for one that specifically advertises hdr10 and dolby vision support, but the software situation is simple
  • in a bluray player, it "just works" if you buy the latest and greatest

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Xaris posted:

i'd really have to compare them side by side which i didn't.

if you got the same 55” I did (the budget model with lovely lint between the screen and backlight), it can technically process an hdr signal but can’t output it to video any better than whatever the minimum 4K standard is. pure buzzwordiness.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Not a Children posted:

if you got the same 55” I did (the budget model with lovely lint between the screen and backlight), it can technically process an hdr signal but can’t output it to video. pure buzzwordiness.

wow that is amazing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the improved color in a 4k hdr bluray is very, very, very noticable

if it is working you will definitely know it is working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not a Children posted:

if you got the same 55” I did (the budget model with lovely lint between the screen and backlight), it can technically process an hdr signal but can’t output it to video any better than whatever the minimum 4K standard is. pure buzzwordiness.
Didn't various companies pull the same thing with 1080p back in the day? (Tvs that only had 720p resolution but would misleadingly advertise the fact that they could handle 1080p signals.)