Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Anyone having a problem with turning off travel mode also turns off flight assist? I've checked the controls, they're not bound together.

Yeah, have to toggle it back on every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It turns off flight assist to preserve your inertia, it turns back on if you issue a command on the throttle or with the maneuvering thrusters.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I need some serious help with the map interface; half the time when I click something, the mouse becomes unresponsive. For example, if I select my ship and hit the information tab, I can click exactly one of the plus boxes to expand f.e. Loadout. Upon doing so, none of the other interactions (other plus/minus boxes, etc) do anything at all. I have to switch to another tab, and then switch back. What gives? Keyboard interactions work, mouse doesn't.

Edit: similar thing happens if I inspect a mission, have to use the keyboard to select mission briefing.
Edit2: also randomly RMB context actions (set destination, etc) are totally grayed out for no reason until I exit out of the map and then go back in. Close left tabs, close filters, nothing at all open/selected, every RMB context action is unselectable.
Edit3: turns out you can, again, use keyboard to navigate the greyed out items and hit enter to select them, it's just mouse clicking that doesn't work.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 1, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah, okay that's sort of a problem. If you open the map while in travel mode (and maybe other times) you get teleported progressively larger distances out into the middle of nowhere. Hm.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

All ships have a cockit or bridge but there aren't irrelevant areas, no. You use a turbolift basically to traverse incidental areas of the ship if there would be any between say, the landing pad and the pilot seat.

You do not have a space shitter but you do instead have an actual game.

No wank pod no sale

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Any tips on how to use normal scanning? I did the tutorial and it seems like large stations will just randomly have things to scan but past the tutorial, I turn the mode on, I get close to stations, their different sections blip and change colors, but thus far I've not found anything resembling what the tutorial showed me. Am I doing this right and those things are just rare to find or what?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fly around at close range until you hear radio static, then look for a point of interest.

Sometimes though they spawn inside the geometry I think, they can be hard to find either way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

OwlFancier posted:

Fly around at close range until you hear radio static, then look for a point of interest.
Ah hah, after reading someone else mention the section color possibly giving away that there's something to scan, I found one of the leaks. So, basically, my issue was that the tutorial gave me a blip on the radar to follow but in the actual game, you're not going to get that and you have to look for sparks. That's the trick I needed to know. Thanks!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What does the station segment color signify? Should I always be flying close to red sections and avoiding blue sections?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Orv posted:

Ah, okay that's sort of a problem. If you open the map while in travel mode (and maybe other times) you get teleported progressively larger distances out into the middle of nowhere. Hm.

Thst started happening to me. If you keep it up it will eventually overflow and you’ll be back in the middle. Once you’re there, save and restart the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mp5 posted:

What does the station segment color signify? Should I always be flying close to red sections and avoiding blue sections?

I think honestly it just denotes the type of module? Rebirth colour coded them afaik based on that?

Oh and I figured out how to turn your turrets on. They show up at the top of the screen when flying. Click the icons to toggle through their roles.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

lol why does the map view just slowly drift off in a random direction even with enough deadzone in my stick to make it annoying to fly

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So I've had the game running for about seven hours but because of real life I've only got to play about 50 minutes or so of it and most of that was spent doing the same thing I did in rebirth which was looking for anything that wasn't nailed down in stations (sadly I haven't found anything yet but these stations are huge and I only just realised there are conveyor belts because this ain't Rebirth and you can go way further out onto a station than you could in Rebirth) and autistically scanning each and every segment of stations, which it turns out can result in you finding little flickering signals that can turn into missions or information. I did a few of the tutorials then went off in the direction of the ? stations marked on the map to reveal them.

Continuing the "Stevie the Station Scanner" habit of skimming a hair's breadth above a station's surface led to more signals, also I popped a few random criminals, even without a cop licence you get thanks, reputation and creditssssss, then, one of those "scan the station and a mission appears" ones turns out to be, I think, that Boron dude from X3 and he hired me as an explorer. I had to find a little device laying somewhere within the foot-traversable parts of the station, then he sent me off into the black, nattering excitedly in my ear about anomalies.

Next thing you know a ripple appears and he's all "dude boost into it", next thing you know I'm in Grand Exchange and I've gone from about 20k credits to him going "ok well I want you to go get a ship and 3 anti matter cells then go fly into this poo poo over here., Here's half a million credits, the Split won't notice I took it."

whee

also, it's running at, on average, about 69fps :quagmire:

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Where the hell do you sell nividium? I got a hold full of it and nowhere seems to use it?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
ok, screwed around with my joysticks and now I am finally blasting off to space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Awesome. Got a job to chase down an art thief, they dropped the cargo, and I also got them to abandon ship, so I stole their M miner. Flew into the next system, found a fully kitted out M freighter surrounded by a minefield. Got myself a fleet going!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Does this not support TrackIR or do I need to click something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, you can reassign your service crew as marines and launch boarding pods from any ship. That's neat.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The dev in Cohh's stream said that they were working on TrackIR implementation.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Taerkar posted:

The dev in Cohh's stream said that they were working on TrackIR implementation.

OK cool, thanks. Not a huge deal I guess.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I accepted a repair contract, go to the station, went on a space walk, came back in and can't relieve my pilot crew member. Can't force them to work elsewhere, fire them, or do anything to regain control of my ship. Nor can I issue any orders. Basically what I'm saying is don't have a backup pilot crew and leave your ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should be able to, works fine for me.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The one galactic trader I have going is bringing in pretty good money!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Im finding that the steam discussion forums are an okay place to get info, but something I haven't been able to figure out yet is what function Service Crew actually serve. Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Orv posted:

I ended up abandoning my first character because of this. I was SO far from anywhere that I didn’t want to wait the hour or whatever burning back in travel mode.

I’m glad I did this because I started a new explorer character instead. The starter ship for this class is SO much nicer. Twice the travel speed and guns, plus I found the Boron scientist at the very first station. I’m off and running. Now I just have to figure out how to get two ships to the explodey place. This is my first X game and I’m having a blast, bugs notwithstanding.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Do the crew members level up? My pilot is currently 0 in piloting.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Lordshmee posted:

I ended up abandoning my first character because of this. I was SO far from anywhere that I didn’t want to wait the hour or whatever burning back in travel mode.

I’m glad I did this because I started a new explorer character instead. The starter ship for this class is SO much nicer. Twice the travel speed and guns, plus I found the Boron scientist at the very first station. I’m off and running. Now I just have to figure out how to get two ships to the explodey place. This is my first X game and I’m having a blast, bugs notwithstanding.

Yeah i was gonna post this the ship is like twice as fast. Also it has the tutorials even though the descriptions imply only the first start does.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh nice, sweeping the signals around the antimatter cell factory I got directed to before landing (because yes I'm scanning everything) and there are signals partially embedded in the hull, one just gave me the antimatter cell production blueprint

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hexenritter posted:

Oh nice, sweeping the signals around the antimatter cell factory I got directed to before landing (because yes I'm scanning everything) and there are signals partially embedded in the hull, one just gave me the antimatter cell production blueprint

that owns, build Antimatter-Mart and buy out the sector

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Is this equally opaque as Albion Prelude seemed? I really wanted to like that but a few hours in and I was still pretty much completely lost.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

mods changed my name posted:

Does this not support TrackIR or do I need to click something?

I couldn't figure it out either, let me know if you do.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pants might stand in the way of profitssss but everyone loves a gleaming helmet :quagmire:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

seriously, why does the map drift off to one corner slowly

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Apparently the starting ship doesn't have any inventory space? I accepted a mission to get 4 AGI somethings, found the black market vendor, bought them (i.e. it ate the credits) but I have no idea if I have the actual items, or where to deliver them. I went to the ship info screen and it's telling me I have 0 inventory space, which may or not be related.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sandoz posted:

seriously, why does the map drift off to one corner slowly

What controls are you using?

When I tried to use a controller through DS4Windows the mouse would drift into the bottom left corner every time I touched a button. I swapped over to the Steam controller system through Big Picture and that stopped.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Apparently the starting ship doesn't have any inventory space? I accepted a mission to get 4 AGI somethings, found the black market vendor, bought them (i.e. it ate the credits) but I have no idea if I have the actual items, or where to deliver them. I went to the ship info screen and it's telling me I have 0 inventory space, which may or not be related.

Empire/Player (whatever it's called), second tab from the left in the menus, then second tab down is your actual inventory. Ship inventory is for commodities only AFAIK.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Anybody else getting like 1 frame a minute in station offices? Basically crashes the game. Im fine anywhere else but as soon sa that door opens to an office it hangs and then i get a burst of movement or audio than hangs etc.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hexenritter posted:

So I've had the game running for about seven hours but because of real life I've only got to play about 50 minutes or so of it and most of that was spent doing the same thing I did in rebirth which was looking for anything that wasn't nailed down in stations (sadly I haven't found anything yet but these stations are huge and I only just realised there are conveyor belts because this ain't Rebirth and you can go way further out onto a station than you could in Rebirth) and autistically scanning each and every segment of stations, which it turns out can result in you finding little flickering signals that can turn into missions or information. I did a few of the tutorials then went off in the direction of the ? stations marked on the map to reveal them.

Continuing the "Stevie the Station Scanner" habit of skimming a hair's breadth above a station's surface led to more signals, also I popped a few random criminals, even without a cop licence you get thanks, reputation and creditssssss, then, one of those "scan the station and a mission appears" ones turns out to be, I think, that Boron dude from X3 and he hired me as an explorer. I had to find a little device laying somewhere within the foot-traversable parts of the station, then he sent me off into the black, nattering excitedly in my ear about anomalies.

Next thing you know a ripple appears and he's all "dude boost into it", next thing you know I'm in Grand Exchange and I've gone from about 20k credits to him going "ok well I want you to go get a ship and 3 anti matter cells then go fly into this poo poo over here., Here's half a million credits, the Split won't notice I took it."

whee

also, it's running at, on average, about 69fps :quagmire:

Same. The game’s janky af but very charming. Particularly love the starter mission: that Boron dude is just so jazzed to be held prisoner and forced to do experiments!

E: sure little buddy, course I’ll help you bang antimatter into matter to see what happens.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You should be able to, works fine for me.

Wouldn't for me. Had to revert to an old save. Found another mission to repair stuff and when I left the pilots chair it glitched out so I was falling for a shot while till I respawned back in teh ship only to fall again, and saving/reloading just puts me in the same position. Very annoying as I've now lost about an a hour and a half going back to old saves since I wasn't saving as often as I should have.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Don't be afraid to just gently caress off in random directions from your landing pad on stations. I'm on a Teladi hull part factory right now and I'm still looking for random poo poo that is just laying around like they had in Rebirth (haven't found any other than the quest item for Boron dude), and my little sojourn located a random vendor several hundred metres from my pad who's selling poo poo like bomb launchers, hand lasers, scanners and mk2 thrusters for the spacesuit, as well as crafting wares like sedatives and rare spices. Also a crafting bench.

holy poo poo look how much Delirium is worth

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This station building looks insane. gently caress.