Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

You phrased it on a way that seemed like it was habitual, but it's good to not buy games at release so good on you.

Fair, I probably should have said "recently"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really liked exploring, starting poo poo in towns, and building settlements in fallout 4. 76 was made for me, basically, and I skipped it. I've always bought Bethesda stuff day one but now I'm definitely in a wait and see, I'm far less interested in starfield and tes6 now. 76 really made me stop and question what I like about their games, hope it was worth it to them to sacrifice all the good will they've built this past twenty years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

Blizz put out a lackluster xpac and Bethesda has FO76, what other output are you talking about?

Blizzard games that suck:
World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Diablo Immortal
Honestly the last good game they made was Warcraft 3

Bethesda games that suck:
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Fallout Shelter
Fallout 3
Really the only good thing that has come out of Bethesda owning Fallout is New Vegas.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorGonzo posted:

Two questions
The game was unfinished or is just broken beyond repair?
What its Todd actual role, just a pr guy for Bethesda?

Todd Howard is executive producer at Bethesda, which basically means he gets to tell people to make that green pixel blue and be a used car salesmen for games, promising anything. And it just keeps working somehow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel that regardless of their actual qualities, future games that uses the Creation Engine will be completely ripped to shreds by the gaming community; gamers like to harp on any sign of laziness or usage of shortcuts from developers and 76 has so definitely put the idea of the engine being outdated for the modern PC market that Starfield and TES VI will have an uphill struggle to find a goodwill community.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Diablo 3 is actually really good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel that regardless of their actual qualities, future games that uses the Creation Engine will be completely ripped to shreds by the gaming community; gamers like to harp on any sign of laziness or usage of shortcuts from developers and 76 has so definitely put the idea of the engine being outdated for the modern PC market that Starfield and TES VI will have an uphill struggle to find a goodwill community.

I think the games will still be individually judged on their merits, but every time you grab a potion off a shelf and get murdered by a flying wheel of cheese, you'll obviously blame the lovely engine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

Starfield and TES VI will have an uphill struggle to find a goodwill community.
Until FO76 I was looking forward to TESVI and was interested in Starfield, because I had assumed that the seeming hiatus from putting out TES/FO games after FO4 was because they were working on a new engine. Not based on anything Bethesda said or did, cuz I don't follow that kind of stuff, but it just seemed like common sense. The engine was super old, of COURSE they're working on a shiny new engine for TES VI, why else would there be so much time between Skyrim and it?

Now, though? Even my wife, who's a TES superfan, isn't interested in TES VI. I'm not gonna get it unless it somehow manages to defy expectations and be something resembling good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ETPC posted:

there are people who genuinely believe fallout 4 had a good story though

:eyepop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crabtree posted:

Todd Howard is executive producer at Bethesda, which basically means he gets to tell people to make that green pixel blue and be a used car salesmen for games, promising anything. And it just keeps working somehow.

It just works

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I love him. I love Todd Howard.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Until FO76 I was looking forward to TESVI and was interested in Starfield, because I had assumed that the seeming hiatus from putting out TES/FO games after FO4 was because they were working on a new engine. Not based on anything Bethesda said or did, cuz I don't follow that kind of stuff, but it just seemed like common sense. The engine was super old, of COURSE they're working on a shiny new engine for TES VI, why else would there be so much time between Skyrim and it?

Now, though? Even my wife, who's a TES superfan, isn't interested in TES VI. I'm not gonna get it unless it somehow manages to defy expectations and be something resembling good.

Yeah, I could tell the gameplay wasn't going to be for me when they announced 76, but I was really excited in general at the thought of them finally nutting up and making a real next gen engine for the next cycle of games.

Boy was I wrong.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ETPC posted:

there are people who genuinely believe fallout 4 had a good story though

Ill agree that fallout 4s story isnt great but i will also say that its about 100 times better than 76 since you can have an impact and arent just wandering along making little to no impact on the world beyond bullshit.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

fancy shoes savior of pee sea gaming

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Paul Zuvella posted:

Diablo 3 is actually really good

Maybe. I won't play an online only game though.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I was excited for 76 initially like most people. 2 to 4 player coop fallout yes please! Wait what do you mean its 16 or so people.. well ok i gue... Oh theres pvp ish. Huh ok.

Oh theres nukes and no npcs and the anti griefing measures appear to make griefing worse. Ok ok cool

Imma skip

Release day: 2 HOUR DEBUFF, ENEMIES CONSTANTLY REGEN IF YOU SHOOT THEM, WEIGHT LIMIT IS PATHETIC.

Thank gently caress i dodged that bullet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fallout 4 was okay, but Fallout 76 is so bad that it went back in time and made Fallout 4 garbage too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And you know they have it in them to do worse. 76 isn't Bethesda trying to be lazy.

Starfield is gonna be Bethesda's take on Destiny and its going to be a horrible glory.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Crabtree posted:

And you know they have it in them to do worse. 76 isn't Bethesda trying to be lazy.

Starfield is gonna be Bethesda's take on Destiny and its going to be a horrible glory.

there's nothing I want more than another colorful kinda-space game where your kinda-robot guy kinda-flies around using kinda-magic or kinda-tech powers on dozens of generic aliens, only it plays like Skyrim

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Frog Act posted:

there's nothing I want more than another colorful kinda-space game where your kinda-robot guy kinda-flies around using kinda-magic or kinda-tech powers on dozens of generic aliens, only it plays like Skyrim

Ughhhhhhh when you put it like that you know it's exactly what they're doing and ughhhhhh

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Todd descends upon humanity, creating an age of The Light. But The Darkness of criticism came and The Todd used up all his energy in his last E3 presentation and its up to you, The Starfield Born, to fight the Space Dragons, attain The Power, and build up the last bastion of civilization, The Last Garbage Town; and spend enough money to resurrect The Todd.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Powershift posted:

Fallout 4 was okay, but Fallout 76 is so bad that it went back in time and made Fallout 4 garbage too.

Lol, Fallout 4 was garbage from the start.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 1, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Glad to see Bethesda using a Woke Brands tactics for good will on the rubes they fleeced.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Fallout 4 as judged as a fallout game is a steaming pile of trash.

Fallout 4 as judged as an elder scrolls loot/shoot/explore game is middling but enjoyable.

When I buy fallout I want fallout, so FO3/4 I will forever poo poo on as terrible products.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, Fallout 4 was garbage from the start.

Agent355 posted:

Fallout 4 as judged as an elder scrolls loot/shoot/explore game is middling but enjoyable.

When I buy fallout I want fallout, so FO3/4 I will forever poo poo on as terrible products.

:yeah:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Diablo Immortal

Bethesda games that suck:
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Fallout Shelter
Fallout 3
Really the only good thing that has come out of Bethesda owning Fallout is New Vegas.

:rolleyes:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Agent355 posted:

My exact feelings on Fallout 4. I liked it, but after I beat it, I was just done. Just no interesting roleplay opportunities, even FO3 pulled off the RPG side of things better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
December 4th patch noted

quote:

PATCH VERSION:

The size of this update will be significantly smaller across all three platforms than the patch we released on November 19. On consoles, the download size will be approximately 3GB, and around 36MB for PC.

Xbox: 1.0.2.0

PS4: 1.0.2.0

PC: 1.0.2.0

GENERAL

Performance: PC framerates are once again uncapped. However, reaching very high framerates will no longer cause movement speed to increase. This was originally fixed in the November 19 patch.

Stability: The Fallout 76 game client and servers have received additional stability improvements.

C.A.M.P., CRAFTING, AND WORKSHOPS

Stash: Maximum stash storage has been increased by 50%, to 600 pounds. This is a conservative adjustment, and we plan to increase the storage cap further in the future once we’ve verified this change does not impact the stability of the game.

BALANCE

Enemies: XP rewards for killing high-level creatures have been reduced.

Bosses: Fixed an issue affecting instanced Boss loot. Players should now correctly receive 2-4 items per boss, depending on the creature’s difficulty and level.

Weapons: Automatic weapon damage has been increased by approximately 20% across the board.

PVP

Weapon Effects: Hitting another player with a Cryolator now applies a Chilled, Frosted, or Frozen status based on how many times they are hit. The duration of movement speed reductions applied by these effects have been significantly decreased.

BUG FIXES

STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE

Console: Fixed an issue that could cause the player to encounter an infinite loading screen when signing out of their console account while playing Fallout 76.

Xbox: Addressed a crash that could occur when sending multiple team invites immediately after exiting Vault 76 to a player who is not a friend.

GENERAL

Power Armor: Fixed an issue affecting Power Armor frames that could prevent the player from exiting their Power Armor.

Nuke Silos: Flipboards inside Nuke Silos no longer display portions of launch codes too soon after the codes were reset for the week.

C.A.M.P., WORKSHOPS, AND CRAFTING

C.A.M.P.: Moving C.A.M.P. locations will now correctly move standalone items built by the player into the build menu’s Stored tab.

Workshops: On PS4, wires will no longer appear to float in mid-air when attempting connect two or more objects.

Turrets: Will no longer become invisible if the player is not present at their C.A.M.P. when their turrets are destroyed.

PERKS

Perk Cards: Ranking up a Perk Card will no longer cause a duplicate card to appear.

SOCIAL

Teams: Fixed an issue that could prevent a team from being correctly formed in a game world after creating the team on the Main Menu when both players are using new characters.

Teams: Display durations for social notification have been reduced when many notifications are pending. This should help address an issue in which players did not see that they successfully joined a team.

SURVIVAL

Mutations: The Electrically Charged and Unstable Isotope Mutations no longer provide the player with bonus Health.

USER INTERFACE

AFK: Players will now be disconnected from a game world after 10 minutes of inactivity and will be prompted with a timer 1 minute before being kicked.

Atomic Shop: On PC, cursor position will no longer be disjointed from clicks in the Atomic Shop while using 16:10 resolutions.

Enemies: Red crosshairs and enemy health bars will no longer persist on-screen when an enemy is no longer in view.

Localization: Subtitles will now appear correctly, and English voiceover will play, for game clients in languages that do not have their own localized voiceover when listening to a Holotape or interacting with robots.

Pip-Boy: Fixed an issue that could cause duplicate data to appear in the Pip-Boy’s Stat and Effects interfaces.

Respawn: Dying while severely overencumbered will no longer remove all map markers when attempting to respawn. Instead, the player can now respawn at the nearest discovered Map Marker.

Quest Tracker: Quest objective notifications will no longer appear for inactive Quests immediately upon connecting to a world.

I am astounded by that 3GB patch size for consoles.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rutibex posted:

World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Diablo Immortal

Good news, they’re remastering it! No new games, it’s all remasters now!

To be fair, Diablo 3 doesn’t so much suck
More like it’s so old and has such outdated mechanics, it’s not top tier like Diablo 2 was for years after

I recently tried World of Warcraft and it’s amazing how old and bad it looks. The interface, the control scheme, the text quests, it was great 13 years ago but today it’s laughable.
I’m not surprised WOW is bleeding subscribers, I’m surprised it still has so many people paying.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I recently tried World of Warcraft and it’s amazing how old and bad it looks. The interface, the control scheme, the text quests, it was great 13 years ago but today it’s laughable.
I’m not surprised WOW is bleeding subscribers, I’m surprised it still has so many people paying.

Speaking of games that are almost unplayable without mods :v:

My theory, which I have a certain amount of anecdotal evidence for is that a lot of people still play it because people they know/like still play it.

e: to tie this back around to Fallout, I'm pretty sure Blizz designs their raids around the people who maintain DBM/BigWigs adding all the relevant info about the fight into their mods

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 1, 2018

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I keep getting attacked by invisible enemies and have lost most of both my carry capacity and CAMP build limit to invisible items but sure I guess kicking people who are AFK for 10 minutes is a higher priority.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

To be fair, Diablo 3 doesn’t so much suck
More like it’s so old and has such outdated mechanics, it’s not top tier like Diablo 2 was for years after

Diablo 3 is actually super good now. They really went all in and embraced the "kill ton of poo poo, loot stuff, get bigger numbers" loop and it's super fun. The problem with it is that's not deep at loving all. The season system works good for this in that you start a season, play for a couple of weeks, and once you top off and get as far as you want / complete as much of the journey as you care for you put it away until the next season. If they could flesh out the end game some more it'd be perfect. But for what it is right now it's great as long as you don't try to sink more than a month per season into it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Starcraft 2 understood literally nothing about what made Brood War good, but it was also by far the best single player RTS ever made, similarly to warcraft 3 when it was released.

Blizzard's track record isn't bad, they just got exposed as not being as superlative as they were hyped up to be, because the vast majority of what made Brood War and D2 great were accidents rather than design decisions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought the starcraft battle chest and the manual for brood war smelled REALLY bad, like so bad i remember the smell like 20 years later

that's my unrelated starcraft story, you're welcome.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rutibex posted:

This is a fact.

RIP Fallout. :(

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

JoWooD Presents ...Fallout 5: Inquisition.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Don't know how many of you guys remember what the internet was like when Bethesda bought the rights to Fallout but can you imagine trying to explain to the No Mutants Allowed 'people' of what Bethesda was going to do to Fallout in 2018?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Whatever came of that "I missed you so much" Pip Boy drawing Chris Avellone posted?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

KakerMix posted:

Don't know how many of you guys remember what the internet was like when Bethesda bought the rights to Fallout but can you imagine trying to explain to the No Mutants Allowed 'people' of what Bethesda was going to do to Fallout in 2018?

Fallout 76 is what they all thought Fallout 3 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NMA was right about Bethesda killing Fallout.