Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hahaha

"Advertise here. Contact me at
Iwillnotripyouoff@kitchensin.space"

and in the time it took to post that, the ad space actually got populated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I got a mining ship and let the AI do it's automine thing. After about an hour and half of mining the ship made me a grand total of.....6k credits. Pretty huge waste

edit: btw, there is a hotkey to freelook your camera while in the cockpit (default shift-middle mouse button). Loving this game

Jesustheastronaut! fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol yeah mining is for getting materials for building your own poo poo i guess, i did the same thing. saving up for a trading ship now to set loose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mining is a matter of scale, if you want to make money doing it you want MASSIVE mining ships that can obliterate a sector full of rocks.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Even in bordered fullscreen the game doesn't like when you alt-tab during a disk write or a load. Had it hang indefinitely and require restarting multiple times.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, if you're small-scale mining you should be hunting for more valuable materials (the crystals on some asteroids)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Welp it looks like some ai are bugged so being in their presence basically hangs the game. Im gonna give this a cpl months i guess. Bummer.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
What purpose do the other service crew serve? Marines and pilot are obvious but I'm not sure about the rest.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm having a lot of fun just hitching rides on other ships while they wander around the galaxy. It's a pretty chill way to open up new sectors.

One thing that's bugging me a bit right now, though: when you open up the map, it disengages travel mode unless you're using the autopilot. Given that the autopilot can't even seem to point itself straight at where you want to go, it's pretty annoying not being able to just switch to travel mode in manual and then check out what's happening on the map while you wait.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm having a lot of fun just hitching rides on other ships while they wander around the galaxy. It's a pretty chill way to open up new sectors.

One thing that's bugging me a bit right now, though: when you open up the map, it disengages travel mode unless you're using the autopilot. Given that the autopilot can't even seem to point itself straight at where you want to go, it's pretty annoying not being able to just switch to travel mode in manual and then check out what's happening on the map while you wait.

Go to game settings and turn on "maintain speed in menus"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

Go to game settings and turn on "maintain speed in menus"

And then crash into everything and realise why it isn't the default :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I got a mining ship and let the AI do it's automine thing. After about an hour and half of mining the ship made me a grand total of.....6k credits. Pretty huge waste

I just bought a mining ship, gathered about 300 silicon and sold it for 40k, making about a quarter of its cost in like 10 minutes. Did you buy a small mining ship?

E: drat I'd kill for a better "explore" command, the ship never seems to leave the immediate area.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Welp it looks like some ai are bugged so being in their presence basically hangs the game. Im gonna give this a cpl months i guess. Bummer.

Yeah, unfortunately there are some show-stopping bugs that are a bit more than just charming Egosoft jank, seeing as they involve things that you may have to do somewhat regularly. For example, literally within 5 minutes of starting the game I got stuck on one of the elevators in the first station, and had to restart. Then I tried an EVA when docked with a freighter. I ended up clipping through the freighter and getting stuck inside its model, necessitating another restart. Neither of these things particularly bothers me right now, when I'm just starting out, but I could definitely see them being a major headache later in the game if, for example, you forget to save before using an elevator and whoops, there goes a ton of progress down the shitter.

Hoping we can get some these problems patched out soon.

EDIT: also seconding the recommendation to go with the explorer start. It is much better.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 1, 2018

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Man I hired a builder for my station and it hasn't showed up for an hour and I can't hire another one.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

How important is the CPU needed for this game? I ask cause the min specs say Intel i5-4590 2.7GHz as the min and I have a i3-4150 3.50GHz, which on paper seems better, but also not

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TwoDice posted:

Man I hired a builder for my station and it hasn't showed up for an hour and I can't hire another one.

Must've been a contractor :v:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Must've been a contractor :v:

Especially since complaining about him made him show up.....

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

I just bought a mining ship, gathered about 300 silicon and sold it for 40k, making about a quarter of its cost in like 10 minutes. Did you buy a small mining ship?

E: drat I'd kill for a better "explore" command, the ship never seems to leave the immediate area.

Yeah it was a small one, was trying to work my way up. But I wasn't doing the mining by myself, i was letting the AI do it for me, and they waste so much loving time plus they pick up a lot of the 'empty' asteroids. Probably would have been fairly decent if I was piloting things myself, but i think my times better off doing missions for now. Also sucks to hear the explore command sucks, as I was hoping I could get a better way of filling out the map without having to drop 100k for each mk2 satellites.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i just started the game. i'm loving around in travel mode and i got lost and set a waypoint back to the starting station. now every time i open my map my distance from it doubles. like i started maybe 100km away and now i'm over 60 thousand km away and i'm not even in the same loving sector anymore

what kind of bug even is this

edit: and now i'm back home? what the poo poo?

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 1, 2018

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Yeah it was a small one, was trying to work my way up. But I wasn't doing the mining by myself, i was letting the AI do it for me, and they waste so much loving time plus they pick up a lot of the 'empty' asteroids. Probably would have been fairly decent if I was piloting things myself, but i think my times better off doing missions for now. Also sucks to hear the explore command sucks, as I was hoping I could get a better way of filling out the map without having to drop 100k for each mk2 satellites.

Even back in X3 you needed a mod to get decent automated exploration

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jesus, M ships are a huge step up.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

edit: btw, there is a hotkey to freelook your camera while in the cockpit (default shift-middle mouse button). Loving this game

editedit: oops meant to edit my previous post. gently caress im dumb

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it possible to fire a builder? I hired one like two hours ago but that fuckers yet to even arrive in the system to build my stuff

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So the “first time player” starter loop should be something like:
* Fly around starter station, scanning regularly, till you find some sparkly lights
* get close to them and look at them until they resolve into a message that launches a mission
* do the first couple of mission instructions, this nets you about 250k in cash and dumps you somewhere over in Teladi space
* explore around, doing missions as and when you can, in your lovely starter ship?

And then at some point you’ll have enough money from this and will have found a shipyard and antimatter factory so you can go buy a second ship and some AM and continue with the mission?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
I have had no luck finding station scan points at all, should I be looking for something in particular or what?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Radio Free Kobold posted:

edit: and now i'm back home? what the poo poo?

Apparently if you keep opening your map your position will "overflow" and you end up back where you started.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
ok dumb question, playing with a joystick. I can use my mouse to make my gun shoot at the cursor, or i can just shoot forward using the joystick. I have the button bound to shoot at cursor as well. Is there a way to make the gun/cursor automatically track what I have targeted so I only have to press the shoot button? I'm not sure if that makes sense

edit: in other words how do i make my guns track my target without using a mouse

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 1, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do lockbox and resource location missions, they give a poo poo ton of money. i did a couple of those in second contact II and bankrolled a S and M trade ship, now they are doing auto trading runs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Astroniomix posted:

Apparently if you keep opening your map your position will "overflow" and you end up back where you started.

i think i just had that happen again. cruising along, open the map to check out some poo poo, middle of nowhere again. shoot a random raider who showed up maybe he teleported me here, engine stopped working (except for travel mode?) but i shot him until he died and i got some SWEET loot so i guess it's okay. then i teleported back home again and tried to land on the equipment dock to sell some poo poo but when i tried to land on the pad i just clipped right through and now i'm inside the station and can't get out.

this game is jank as poo poo but underneath the jank there's a really cool space game. overall i'd rate it a solid :pcgaming1: with potential for a strong :pcgaming: once they get some of the sillier bugs worked out in a week or two.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 1, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so im guesing like ANT and Argon are allied or something? do factions ahte eachother or anything? im currently ranked up with both of them, wonder if you get cut off eventually and have to choose one or something

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

mods changed my name posted:

ok dumb question, playing with a joystick. I can use my mouse to make my gun shoot at the cursor, or i can just shoot forward using the joystick. I have the button bound to shoot at cursor as well. Is there a way to make the gun/cursor automatically track what I have targeted so I only have to press the shoot button? I'm not sure if that makes sense

edit: in other words how do i make my guns track my target without using a mouse

Relatedly, I have "fire primary at cursor" on RMB, but that's also apparently irrevocably bound to "open context menu" too, which can get old fast when I'm shooting at bads. You can't bind LMB to weapons either. My secondary fire (scan, etc) is set to mouse4 on my g500, comfortably under my thumb, and I removed the shift requirement from MMB for freelook.

I bound F to open context menu too so I don't accidentally blap someone I'm trying to access expanded commands on in 3d.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

queeb posted:

so im guesing like ANT and Argon are allied or something? do factions ahte eachother or anything? im currently ranked up with both of them, wonder if you get cut off eventually and have to choose one or something

ANT is probably an Argon subfaction like a corporation or something.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
if you're having the annoying map drift poo poo, try turning off the gamepad mode, that fixed it for me

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

should I be dropping satellites all over around stations and poo poo so i have live prices for them?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

queeb posted:

The two Paranid factions hate each other.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Where in the world are you all finding S and M ships? So far I've only found the ANT shipyard, and it only sells L and XL.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

You want a platform called a wharf, not a shipyard.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY
I have hired a pilot for my ship, their 1 task is docking with stations. I am having a hard time even locating the landing bays on some of these extra large size stations. Like I will fly around doing space things myself, but as soon as I have to drive to dock I'll get up and order the pilot to dock with station cause I'll be damned if I can spot the landing bays.

Also : scanning the outside of a station only to fail to recognise that the wall I'm trying to scan is a xl size ship and being caught in its drive bubble and dragged away from the actual station when it moves has caused me more than one double take tonight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

Where in the world are you all finding S and M ships? So far I've only found the ANT shipyard, and it only sells L and XL.

Beefeater1980 posted:

You want a platform called a wharf, not a shipyard.

I haven't played the game yet but if it works like Rebirth, then yeah big ships and small ships have different manufacturing processes. Small ships are basically like goods produced over time - the factories will consume resources at a steady rate and spit whatever ship types they make into their stockpile where you just buy them right away. The big shipyards meanwhile are made-to-order - they keep a bunch of materials on hand but don't actually construct ships until someone buys one from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Has anyone joined a guild yet?