Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Even if I only used it to make stock, a pressure cooker was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been really digging fish these past few days, found a local fishmonger and fish is so cheap and makes delicious meals. I've been having issues with the tin foil method. Recipe says 170c for 20-25 minutes, I do it. I then check the temp of the salmon and it's clearly undercooked, and internal temps show around 45-50c (it should be 60c). Is my tin foil too thick?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Qubee posted:

I've been really digging fish these past few days, found a local fishmonger and fish is so cheap and makes delicious meals. I've been having issues with the tin foil method. Recipe says 170c for 20-25 minutes, I do it. I then check the temp of the salmon and it's clearly undercooked, and internal temps show around 45-50c (it should be 60c). Is my tin foil too thick?

Nope, your oven probably runs cool. An oven thermometer is super cheap and well worth it to know your cooking temperature is spot-on for everything. Make sure you're preheating it, too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can't really undercook salmon imo

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

The salmon section size might be thicker than the recipe. Your oven could be less efficient, or run cooler. If you have other stuff in the oven, they’ll also affect cooking time.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Also try different spots in your oven. At my job, I make 10 trays of bacon at a time in one of two commercial grade ovens, and the one oven is so lopsided in how it heats it's not even funny. Like one tray of bacon can be on the same rack as another; at 12 minutes the one tray will be perfect and the other will be squishy and pink still. I know where all the sweet spots are after working there for a year (that one loves the second rack, on the left hand side) but it's still a pain.

So if a recipe specifically calls for "place on top/middle/bottom rack", I ignore that poo poo.
As Midniter pointed out, though, your best bet is to ensure your oven is doing what it should be with a thermometer.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I bought chicken thighs on Friday and put them in the fridge. It's Wednesday now and I want to use them.

The sticker says Sell By November 27. I assume they'll be okay to use, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

I bought chicken thighs on Friday and put them in the fridge. It's Wednesday now and I want to use them.

The sticker says Sell By November 27. I assume they'll be okay to use, right?

Probably. Smell them. When chicken goes off, it goes the gently caress off.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You usually have at least a few days wiggle room after sell by dates. If it's super slimy or stinky, or if its mostly any other color besides pink, toss it. Otherwise it's probably fine.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hummus Chat:

I've made hummus in the past, but I am curious - does it freeze well? If I make it in bulk, then vacuum seal it and toss it in the freezer, will it thaw and be good, or turn into some sort of slime?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

When I freeze it the texture goes thick and grainy in a bad way

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

When I freeze it the texture goes thick and grainy in a bad way

Good to know! Thanks.

I wonder if pressure canning it would work?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've heard whole cooked chickpeas freeze well, if you want to bulk cook them and hummus at a later date
https://toriavey.com/how-to/how-to-soak-and-cook-chickpeas/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know if this translates and it was very cheap stuff but I've had canned hummus and it tastes like the essence of "inside of a can". If you have the means it might be better to can the cooked chickpeas.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Weltlich posted:

Hummus Chat:

I've made hummus in the past, but I am curious - does it freeze well? If I make it in bulk, then vacuum seal it and toss it in the freezer, will it thaw and be good, or turn into some sort of slime?

I've frozen it with no ill effect.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have a nice cast iron pan I got for Christmas last year. I've used it in the oven to make things like skillet cookies to good effect. However, whenever I try to use it on the range, it smokes like crazy, and inevitably sets off the fire alarm. What am I doing wrong? Heat too high? Something wrong with how the pan is seasoned?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably. Smell them. When chicken goes off, it goes the gently caress off.

Meat in general in my experience. The nose is a finely calibrated instrument for detecting things that will make you sick, stick it in there and get a good solid whiff. If you aren't recoiling it's fine.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The chicken thighs didn't result in anyone throwing up so we were good to go. I made some good chicken soup last night.

Another question: I made some slow-cooked pork butt the other day, cooked with a rub of chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, etc...

I'm making a quiche tonight and I have no meat to throw in. Would it be really gross to make a pulled-pork quiche?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 29, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TheCog posted:

I have a nice cast iron pan I got for Christmas last year. I've used it in the oven to make things like skillet cookies to good effect. However, whenever I try to use it on the range, it smokes like crazy, and inevitably sets off the fire alarm. What am I doing wrong? Heat too high? Something wrong with how the pan is seasoned?

Check the smoke point for the oil you're using http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm

If it seems to be smoking below that temperature (e.g. if refined canola oil is smoking on medium heat in an otherwise empty pan that's only been preheating for 4 minutes) then yeah it's probably your seasoning. An empty pan can get very hot after a while, even on medium burner setting, so it's best to heat your oil until shimmering and immediately put in your ingredients.

If you suspect seasoning, here's an effortpost I made

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

me your dad posted:

The chicken thighs didn't result in anyone throwing up so we were good to go. I made some good chicken soup last night.

Another question: I made some slow-cooked pork butt the other day, cooked with a rub of chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, etc...

I'm making a quiche tonight and I have no meat to throw in. Would it be really gross to make a pulled-pork quiche?

I personally dislike quiche but I can't imagine pulled pork making it worse. Eggs go great with all kinds of spices. Maybe garnish with some quick pickled onion.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't do it if there's barbecue sauce already on it. Otherwise, go nuts. A little more salt (and liquid smoke if you didn't smoke it?) will make it come off like bacon, which is totally normal in quiches. I would also cut it into smaller pieces against the grain, because you don't want to take a forkful and end up dragging out 3" of pulled pork.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

me your dad posted:

Do it and report back. I think a pull pork quiche would be good with spinach, peppers, onions, and a little BBQ sauce on top.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xun posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for southern biscuits? Online seems to agree that flour, cold butter, and buttermilk is good but the proportions and such are all over the place
My wife got a recipe from a place we went to in Charleston, "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit".

The basic recipe is:
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature.
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon melted butter for glazing.
  • 2 cups self-rising flour, preferably White Lily brand, plus more for dusting
They are amazing and freeze well, too.

If you google "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit" you can find all sorts of recipes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My wife got a recipe from a place we went to in Charleston, "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit".

The basic recipe is:
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature.
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon melted butter for glazing.
  • 2 cups self-rising flour, preferably White Lily brand, plus more for dusting
They are amazing and freeze well, too.

If you google "Callie's Hot Little Biscuit" you can find all sorts of recipes.
I'll have to try that. I have a friend who swears by making them just with self rising flour and whipping cream, but I haven't ever tried that either.

I basically do the recipe on the bag of self rising White Lily, but add a bit more shortening and a dash of salt. There's enough shortening if you grab a handful of flour with fat cut in and squeeze and it sticks together but only barely. I used to use all Crisco because that's the way I learned, but I've started using about equal parts butter, Crisco, and lard for the fat and it is a nice balance of flavor and texture. I add the buttermilk (full fat if you can find it!) a little at a time until the dough just comes together-too much milk and it gets too sticky. The I roll them out about 3/8" thick, and fold the dough back on itself a few times to make some nice layers. Repeat one more time if you want to, but don't work it too much or the biscuits get tough. Roll out 5/8" or so thick and cut. I've started doing them in a cast iron skillet I preheat in the oven like for cornbread and it gets the bottoms nice and crunchy. Brush the pan and the tops with melted butter before you bake and bake 10-12+ min at 475.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I went to the Korean grocery today, finally was able to get a sushi mat. Some questions:

1) What is the approximate amount of sesame oil for kimbap? Like tsp/tbsp per cup of cooked rice.

2) I won’t use all my sheets of kim/nori, can they be saved for later? Maybe just toast them when I want to use it?

3) Do I really need to wash my miyeok (미역) (I think it’s the same as wakame) 3 times like the package suggests? That seems excessive. I’m making some miso soup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

1) What is the approximate amount of sesame oil for kimbap? Like tsp/tbsp per cup of cooked rice.

Zero. You brush a tiny bit on the top of the roll when it's finished.

Eeyo posted:

2) I won’t use all my sheets of kim/nori, can they be saved for later? Maybe just toast them when I want to use it?

Fridge in a closed plastic bag. They'll keep a while.

Eeyo posted:

3) Do I really need to wash my miyeok (미역) (I think it’s the same as wakame) 3 times like the package suggests? That seems excessive. I’m making some miso soup.

That's excessive. One rinse is plenty.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
What's a good cookbook for someone that likes baking stuff like cookies and brownies? Trying to buy a gift for a family member. Or should I buy them a baking sheet with cooling rack instead?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Guacamayo posted:

What's a good cookbook for someone that likes baking stuff like cookies and brownies? Trying to buy a gift for a family member. Or should I buy them a baking sheet with cooling rack instead?

Always buy cookie sheets in pairs. Mismatched sheets/racks are annoying.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Zero. You brush a tiny bit on the top of the roll when it's finished.

Fridge in a closed plastic bag. They'll keep a while.

That's excessive. One rinse is plenty.

Huh, I thought you'd mix it in! I don't have a brush, so I may go with plan B and do sushi rolls.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Huh, I thought you'd mix it in! I don't have a brush, so I may go with plan B and do sushi rolls.

You can just smear it on with your finger. Or a paper towel. Or a narrow nozzle squirt bottle.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Anyone got any recipes they like for lamb spare ribs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If my Serrano ham grew mold can I wipe it with vinegar and cut off the moldy piece and keep eating it?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

If my Serrano ham grew mold can I wipe it with vinegar and cut off the moldy piece and keep eating it?

https://www.jamon.com/slice-and-store.html

This site says its normal and to wipe it with vegetable oil and a cloth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

You can just smear it on with your finger. Or a paper towel. Or a narrow nozzle squirt bottle.

Or skip it, I don't think it really adds anything. Gets lost in the other ingredients.

Also feel free to make your gimbap with sushi rice instead of plain white rice. It's not authentic but it's tastier. I always do. I guess then it's technically futomaki instead of gimbap but :shrug:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Or skip it, I don't think it really adds anything. Gets lost in the other ingredients.

Also feel free to make your gimbap with sushi rice instead of plain white rice. It's not authentic but it's tastier. I always do. I guess then it's technically futomaki instead of gimbap but :shrug:

I agree with both of these. Unless you're eating it right away the sesame oil just sogs the seaweed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone have a good easy ginger bread cookie recipe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A grizzled veteran baker once told me:

"Baking cookies? You can only pick 2:
- Good
- Easy
- Doesn't contain spiders"

Truth

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone have a good easy ginger bread cookie recipe?

I have a good, easy one

170g unsalted butter
159g brown sugar
255g molasses
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
418g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
150g spiders

In a saucepan set over low heat, or in the microwave, melt butter, then stir in the brown sugar, molasses, salt, and spices.
Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl, let it cool to lukewarm, and beat in the egg and spiders.
Whisk the baking powder and soda into the flour, and then stir these dry ingredients into the molasses mixture.
Divide the dough in half, and pat each half into a thick rectangle. Wrap well, and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer. The dough may be sticky and hard to roll if not thoroughly chilled, so make sure it's cold before continuing.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Get out several baking sheets; there's no need to grease them, though lining with parchment saves effort on cleanup.
Once the dough has chilled, take one piece of dough out of the refrigerator, and flour a clean work surface. Roll the dough 1/8" to 1/4" thick; the thinner you roll the dough, the crispier the cookies will be. Flour both the top and bottom of the dough if it starts to stick. Alternatively, place the dough on parchment, and put a sheet of plastic wrap over it as you roll, pulling the plastic to eliminate wrinkles as necessary when rolling; this will keep dough from sticking without the need for additional flour.
Cut out shapes with a floured cookie cutter, cutting them as close to one another as possible to minimize waste.
Transfer the cookies to ungreased cookie sheets (or, if you've rolled right onto the parchment, remove the dough scraps between the cookies). Bake the cookies just until they're slightly brown around the edges 8 to 12 minutes, or until they feel firm. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for several minutes, or until they're set. Transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Surely they go in with the dry ingredients. You don't want to overbeat and I hate it when they all sink to the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianBoitano posted:

A grizzled veteran baker once told me:

"Baking cookies? You can only pick 2:
- Good
- Easy
- Doesn't contain spiders"

Truth