Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't have a link handy, but I feel like I'd read an interview or some production notes where the director was quite upfront about 'yeah I'm taking a lot from Eva here' - which is appropriate since Eva itself absolutely incorporated a lot of Toku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I guess I should watch Evangelion one of these days.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Whoa, Big O is so much like Batman/Batman the Animated Series art style wise and the main character is basically mecha Bruce Wayne it's amazing. I can see the similarities to SSSSSSS. Gridman too so thanks for the recommendation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Whoa, Big O is so much like Batman/Batman the Animated Series art style wise and the main character is basically mecha Bruce Wayne it's amazing. I can see the similarities to SSSSSSS. Gridman too so thanks for the recommendation.
IIRC a decent number of Big O's staff were people the batman cartoon had been outsourced to, hence the stylistic connections.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

RE: when I asked about recommendations. I’ve done some thinking and yeah, I’m definitely looking for mecha fights and good characterization like this and Big O that are widely regarded as good, so no DitF. So there a top 3-5 recommendations? tia for helping me find stuff to enjoy

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I suppose my next recommendation is Star Driver, from an 'amicable villains' tilt on monster-of-the-week and no collateral damage perspective.

It gets a little repetitive in the middle, but has the best final episode of almost any mecha show I know, including TTGL.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 27, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

numerrik posted:

RE: when I asked about recommendations. I’ve done some thinking and yeah, I’m definitely looking for mecha fights and good characterization like this and Big O that are widely regarded as good, so no DitF. So there a top 3-5 recommendations? tia for helping me find stuff to enjoy

Planet With

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One important thing to remember is that mecha anime cover a vast range of different tones, from manic adventures on a literally cosmic scale like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann where giant mecha sunglasses are lethal weapons, all the way down to placid slice-of-life war dramas like Argevollen, stopping off at everything between flamboyant political melodramas (Code Geass), hallucinatory psychological thrillers (Evangelion), police procedurals (Patlabor) and light-hearted sports shows (Gundam Build Fighters). Even the good stuff can be good in very different ways - with the exception of Argevollen, which is dull as dishwater, everything I mentioned has its own particular flavour of cool action and interesting/fun characterisation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

Planet With

Yeah, that's another recent Gridmanny show. Short and sweet, too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

numerrik posted:

"Giant Robo: The day the Earth stood still" is an amazing 7 part OVA.
The recent "Planet With" was very good.
A bit different from the rest, but it's my favorite anime so i'd loathe not mentioning it: Patlabor. start with the 7 ep OVA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

numerrik posted:

Planet With packs a lot into its 12 episodes, so it can feel a little cluttered, but I like it a lot. The characters aren't *complex*, due to the show's fast pace, but they're all pretty likable, and it's a great ensemble cast when you put them all together, and it has a similar feeling to Gridman where there's a few big twists paced throughout the show. It's a lot more faced past though, way less lingering shots, and characters are defined more by what actions they take over the course of the plot than they are by little character building moments.

Star Driver is a decent rec if you want an off-kilter mech show with a few mysteries at its core, though it drops the ball on a couple of its characters it is very distinctive, and it lands some decent character arcs too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

One important thing to remember is that mecha anime cover a vast range of different tones

Yeah, that's why Big O was my first suggestion and Star Driver my second - was based on tonality and setting. That these lean toward tokusatsu in execution is second to that.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

There's some solid recommendations here for stuff I need to get around to as well. I've been meaning to check out Patlabor and Big O for ages too.

Endorph posted:

Planet With packs a lot into its 12 episodes, so it can feel a little cluttered, but I like it a lot. The characters aren't *complex*, due to the show's fast pace, but they're all pretty likable, and it's a great ensemble cast when you put them all together, and it has a similar feeling to Gridman where there's a few big twists paced throughout the show. It's a lot more faced past though, way less lingering shots, and characters are defined more by what actions they take over the course of the plot than they are by little character building moments.

I liked Planet With a lot but it felt like it was the condensed version of a longer show, which was both a curse and a blessing for it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The writing in Planet With was rock solid IMO, but the blitzkrieg pace and some kind of eh production values made it hard for me to get as into emotionally as I wanted to, which was a shame. Still definitely worth a try if you're enjoying Gridman tho.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just can't bring myself to watch Planet With because of the character designs, no matter how much it's raved about :sigh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I just can't bring myself to watch Planet With because of the character designs, no matter how much it's raved about :sigh:

Really? The silliness of the designs is half the fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they seemed incredibly normal to me, to the point that I'm surprised they were a sticking point for someone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the character designs in Planet With a lot, honestly. The eyes are good and outside of the one cat guy they're all plenty normal designs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

I like the character designs in Planet With a lot, honestly. The eyes are good and outside of the one cat guy they're all plenty normal designs.

It's the cat guy. He just makes me go full ???

Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but I have a backlog the length of the equator and not a huge interest in mecha shows in the first place, so it'll have to wait.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

It's the cat guy. He just makes me go full ???

Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but I have a backlog the length of the equator and not a huge interest in mecha shows in the first place, so it'll have to wait.
i mean hes just a big weird cat? even by the standards of being an intentionally weird design its pretty normal

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I had the opposite problem tbh - I thought the designs were a little bland. It's not actually bad, it's just that the designs that stick out most clearly in my mind do so as "big dumb cat", "big goofy dog", and "discount Araragi."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're a race of aliens based on mascot costumes... which admittedly isn't established up front and is conveyed mostly in their name which is not translated at all by the subs

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I believe Rikka is going to vital to whatever end comes, because despite all of Akane's talk of godhood and I created you to love me. Rikka is the one thing she gives two shits about in her kaiju playground, even Gridman and the rest of the gang are treated as an increasingly irritating opponents rather than a true threat.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Y'all, I'm worried about Akane.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Luckily this is one of those newfangled games with no fall damage.

:thinking:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dreams within dreams huh. Looks like the VR therapy theory is gaining credence.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sindai posted:

:thinking:
Yeah I :thunk:’d real hard when I saw that.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Tis a good ep. That's a good monster for getting that sweet sweet character drama in.

Um yeah. What a great show. I really liked the use of the train crossing warning to simulate the gridman watch blaring. And um everything. Not sure why Akane replaced Rikka as Junk mom's daughter. Interesting.

Ibblebibble posted:

Dreams within dreams huh. Looks like the VR therapy theory is gaining credence.

Yeah!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Toalpaz posted:

Tis a good ep. That's a good monster for getting that sweet sweet character drama in.

Um yeah. What a great show. I really liked the use of the train crossing warning to simulate the gridman watch blaring. And um everything. Not sure why Akane replaced Rikka as Junk mom's daughter. Interesting.

Yeah!

I got the feeling that she used his dream to recreate what she knows of how he was found, and just had him fill in all the blanks, so she got the order of events without having been there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Holy poo poo, that was one of the best episodes of anything I've watched all year. Please, please stick the landing, Gridman. :ohdear:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Just the first couple minutes had me very confused, and then very tense as I realized what was going on. Very good episode.

also anti continues to be the most powerful, watching him hop around was the best thing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TheFireMagi posted:

Just the first couple minutes had me very confused, and then very tense as I realized what was going on. Very good episode.

also anti continues to be the most powerful, watching him hop around was the best thing

Someone needs to gif him leaping impotently back and forth through the kaiju.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That was a pretty great moment in an utterly fantastic episode. The next one honestly can't come sooner.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Now I'm tied between this, Bunny Girl Senpai and Bloom into You for my AOTS, great.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like how Samurai is awkward and weird so he recognizes that this other awkward, weird person isn't a bad guy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheFireMagi posted:

The distant honk of cars every time he landed between jumps killed me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The thing this is reminding me the most of is Anodyne (the game, not the drug) of all things, with the question of how many layers of dream inception are going on.

TheFireMagi posted:

The first 5 minutes had me confused, tense, and now kind of sad.

Like maybe Akane's pulling something devious (haven't finished the episode yet), but the part where she claimed she and yuta were dating came off as just really, really pathetic. She really does seem to be grasping out for some kind of emotional connection.

I also found it kind of interesting how she completely disregarded Utsumi mentioning he was at a relative's memorial service. In light of other things, it feels less like not caring and more not realizing most people would say something like "I'm sorry to hear that".

Artum posted:

The distant honk of cars every time he landed between jumps killed me.

That and Alexis just showing up as Akane's caretaker were probably two of the funniest moments in this entire show.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 2, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Helter Skelter posted:

Y'all, I'm worried about Akane.

Yeah, Akane is so desperately alone and without any connection to people, she has no family (except in the dream when she briefly imitated Rikka). She created her Kaiju world where even was to like her, and she could erase anything that went "wrong". Then she made the dream within the dream, where the gridman alliance loved her. She doesn't want them to need her so much as she needs them. And Alexis certainly doesn't have her best interests at heart, keeping her isolated and angry brings out the best of kaiju after all.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah funny moments aside this episode was loving sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

The first 5 minutes had me confused, tense, and now kind of sad.

Like maybe Akane's pulling something devious (haven't finished the episode yet), but the part where she claimed she and yuta were dating came off as just really, really pathetic. She really does seem to be grasping out for some kind of emotional connection.

What got to me more than I ever really expected it to was her scene with Utsumi, of all people. "Hey, you wanna come over? Didn't you say you wanted to watch Ultra Force?" Her Seiyuu really nails that bit, really gives the sense of knowing what the answer's likely to be but it being too painful not to even try asking. And it being with Utsumi, who neither she nor the audience really have much chemistry with, really underscores just how desperately lonely she is, reaching out to somebody, anybody who might be able to give her some sense of validation. The other scenes were sad and effective, but they didn't surprise me like that one did.

Anyway I just rewatched it and, man, what a stunner. I liked Little Witch Academia more than a lot of people I know, but if you had told me before the season that a Trigger reboot of an obscure sentai show would deliver a strong contender for the best episode of anime I've seen all year, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

Cuntellectual posted:

That and Alexis just showing up as Akane's caretaker were probably two of the funniest moments in this entire show.

"A-Akane?? Why is his head on fire?!" "Oh don't be silly! It's cosplay!" The delivery on that bit was amazing.

Artum posted:

Yeah funny moments aside this episode was loving sad.

And they're working such a powerful high-wire act too, balancing these notions of "Akane is a dangerous and remorseless psychopath and we have to stop her" and "Akane is a desperately lonely and sad child and we have to help her" and making both work so powerfully. This show has been a real surprise in the best way.