Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Poniard posted:

it's the most common first act of CHIM

CHIM is like, Kirkbrides in-game take on the developer console, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Missionary Positron posted:

I love how the world feels alien and original in a way that no other Elder Scrolls game does. At first I was annoyed at the lack of a compass/quest markers, but after awhile I noticed that I sort of liked it: the lack of a magical GO HERE navigation system makes the world feel bigger and immersive.
That, combined with the way the travel system works, is something I really like. Morrowind has fast-travel, but it's only to known locations: strider/boat stops, guild guides, temples, wherever you put your Mark. You can get out of a situation and back into the known world pretty quickly, but getting to your goal is always a journey into the unknown.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

CHIM is like, Kirkbrides in-game take on the developer console, right?

Its the knowledge and power that youre a video game character, among other more metaphysical implications

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Morrowind is an undertale ripoff

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

In canon it's the deep and complete knowledge of your insignificance against the cosmos and your rejection of it. It is also possible to attain a deep and complete knowledge of your insignificance in the cosmos and accept it; which completely and totally obliterates you.

CHIM CHIM challabim

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

keyboard vomit posted:

Where's the nod where you play as a horde of rats taking over Vvardenfell

Like don't even destroy the heart just annoy the poo poo out of Dagoth Ur until he leave and you get akhalukhan all to yourself

:stare:

Where is this mod I need it

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cliff racers are Not That Bad.

They're good for practising with you bow, for one.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

imagine using weapons

this post made by mages gang

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The only mod you ever need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rXsrZRchQ&t=146s

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a mod that makes the persuasion system less luck-based, or otherwise tolerable?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a mod that makes the persuasion system less luck-based, or otherwise tolerable?

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43113

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I shall honour our friendship too.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Vavrek posted:

That, combined with the way the travel system works, is something I really like. Morrowind has fast-travel, but it's only to known locations: strider/boat stops, guild guides, temples, wherever you put your Mark. You can get out of a situation and back into the known world pretty quickly, but getting to your goal is always a journey into the unknown.

I love the way it feels like a city's transit map. It both elaborates on a world outside the player and means that the primary barrier to use is mastering knowledge about this world.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vavrek posted:

It's great also that "known locations" is in reference to the world around you, not to yourself. Kid me took off on the Silt Strider network as soon as I got some coin in Balmora from doing a few quests, and saw all kinds of places. Like the House of Earthly Delights in Suran, as one of the first NPCs you encounter tells you to go check out. Gnaar Mok and Ald'Ruhn! Boats are even weirder, as you could end up all kinds of strange places if you just take a boat and run for like 5 minutes in a random direction. Morrowind had more open, empty space, but even then it was very dense with stuff to stumble upon. Skyrim just does not have that feeling even though the things to find are crammed closer together. You always know where you are. You can see everything. I can't really imagine getting lost in Skyrim unless you maybe get turned around in the mountains near the center of the map. But even then you know where you are, just maybe not which cardinal direction you need to go to go "up" or wherever you're trying to go because of intentional switchback construction.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46194

wtf

quote:

Restores particle effects on creatures.

Did you think Kwama foragers were meant to attack by wiggling at you? No, they spit. But most creature particle effects weren't displayed for technical reasons. Some of the more noticeable fixes are for bodies that disappear on death, like Dremora or Ghosts, or steam effects for Dwemer constructs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:eyepop:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Modders still finding new, significant bugs to fix after 16 years. God drat.

Definitely adds a bit to the visuals.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Say goodbye to death by wiggles and say hello to death after wiggles.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1068928542501675008

:thunk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anybody ever play Myar Aranath or Arktwend? I'm playing through the Enderal total conversion for Skyrim and those are apparently total conversions for Morrowind that came out in 2005 from the same team set in the same universe.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Cripes - glad to see this thread (and this game!) are still active after all this time.

(holy crap those particle effects - thanks for that find, M-BT)

I think I've finally got all my mods in working order, after an aborted attempt at just using the Chocolate Pack I still had from literally years ago, and I'm thinking of finally playing a game that gets past Seyda Neen. This seems like the right place to ask for build advice with Galsiah's Character Development enabled. From the sound of it it's pretty hard to completely gimp yourself, but I would like some suggestions.

Since this is my first real run-through I'm planning on abusing Alchemy & Enchanting to the fullest extent possible, and magic in general. I know I want to be Argonian, overall concept I'm going for is full-on tank-mage / "high fantasy Iron Man" (so, Heavy Armor) and although I'm sure I will wind up using Long Blades in the long haul, I'm inclined to start w/ Spears for roleplaying purposes.

I'm mostly unsure which schools of magic I should put where, and whether I can get away w/ only one or the other of Alch/Enchanting as chosen skills, and save one or both until I've got access to unreasonable amounts of money. So, uh...

quote:

pre:
Lizard Tank-Mage, v1.0
Primary Stats:  Intelligence, Willpower
MAJOR                                  MINOR
Conjuration                                  Destruction
Restoration                                  Mysticism
Alteration                                     Illusion
Heavy Armor                               Spear
Speechcraft                                 Alchemy

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 2, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a mod that adds a poo poo ton of Spears, I highly recommend getting it. I'm phone posting but when I'm at a computer I'll look for it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In-universe, tank-mages are called battlemages, there's a premade class for them. I'd start there, though I can't testify to it being good or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

In-universe, tank-mages are called battlemages, there's a premade class for them. I'd start there, though I can't testify to it being good or not.

Huh, looking at it, it's not terrible. If he wants to use Spears he could just do a custom one copying most of it and swapping one of the weapons for Spears.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's a mod that adds a poo poo ton of Spears, I highly recommend getting it. I'm phone posting but when I'm at a computer I'll look for it.

That would be awesome, thank you!

quote:

Battlemages

Yeah, that's kinda what I used as my starting point. I guess, lemme ask some specific questions (and if anybody has done playthroughs w/ GCD in particular, I'd be interested to hear how the mod affects the relative weighting of stats/skills/etc. for them):

1.) Do I even need Speechcraft/Mercantile, or will I be able (eventually) to make do purely with mindfuckery through Illusion?

2.) Are any of the 6 Magic schools comparatively unimportant to have at super high levels to get the most out of them? (At a glance I'd guess Mysticism, Alteration, and Conjuration can safely be put off or bought through Trainers, while Destruction, Illusion, and Restoration would be the ones that benefit the most from starting high - but that's just based on what little I've gleaned so far.)

3.) Can I get away w/out taking Enchanting at all (i.e., leave it a Misc skill), or will that come back to bite me if I want to do eventually do All The (Awesome Game-breaking) Things?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

1. No, those skills are trash
2. Youre about right
3. Doesnt matter, i like it though

Morrowind is not a hard game, and its even easier if you play a mage.

Unlike many games where people tell you 'just do whatever, have fun your first time!' And the game brutalizes you over and over, morrowind is actually pretty easy.

How2morrowind 101:
1. Pick a major offensive skill you want to use for a few levels. Make that one of your major skills, and pick a race that gives that as a bonus.
2. Make an armor another major skill.
3. Pick another offensive skill as a major.
4. Do literally anything else

Congrats

By level 12ish everyones character ends up an invulnerable teleporting god, by level 30 you max everything out and every charcter is the same

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Perfect! Sounds good. tyvm :shobon:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Telvanni is the best great house (you can only join one)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i stopped joining great houses in recent playthroughs

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Do I remember someone in the past 10 pages or so saying that GCD can cause instabilities? 'Cause I'm getting intermittent crashes that might be tied to attribute/skill increases, which makes me think it might be the levelling system (and I honestly kinda despair of diagnosing it otherwise :sweatdrop: ).

Or maybe something to do with GCD's magicka regen being kinda glitchy, in which case I could just disable it and use a different Magicka mod?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you’re using the Morrowind Code Patch, make sure you have the attribute and skill uncappers turned off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
speechcraft / merch aren't totally garbage skills imo, if you're making a character who has maybe one skill sunk into magic you might not have a lot of magica reserves and the social skills can get you by without blowing the bank on charms. Admittedly this is only going to be meaningful if magic is a pretty minor aspect of the playthru. If you can be sure you'll have plenty of magic or some mod that will make it regenerate this goes out the window. Otherwise you better be well rested I guess.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not playing with the Atronach or Apprentice signs is basically an entirely different game

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

SniperWoreConverse posted:

speechcraft / merch aren't totally garbage skills imo, if you're making a character who has maybe one skill sunk into magic you might not have a lot of magica reserves and the social skills can get you by without blowing the bank on charms. Admittedly this is only going to be meaningful if magic is a pretty minor aspect of the playthru. If you can be sure you'll have plenty of magic or some mod that will make it regenerate this goes out the window. Otherwise you better be well rested I guess.

iirc the best use for speech is to taunt ordinators into attacking you, legally allowing you to murder them and sell their armor to the creeper

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best mod in morrowind is to just delete cliff racers

the second best mod in morrowind is to give creeper 50k or more gold

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Speechcraft would be cooler if you could do confidence tricks with it. Convince people to lend you money, or to buy one thing from you at an exorbitant price (ie you convince them it's something else), or to go somewhere else for a second so you can rob them, or even to follow you around for a bit, or talk your way out of arrests (I had no idea officer, a shady-looking* outlander just sold me these soulgems, they went thatta way)

It's good that you can use it on all humanoids, and use insults to get away with murder, and dialogue choices are gated by disposition rather than direct skill checks, but it still feels a bit gimmicky. Ideally every skill would be equally engaging to use and increase, and speechcraft doesn't feel that way to me.

*: maybe this sounds like a compliment to vvardenfelites

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speechcraft would be cooler if you could do confidence tricks with it. Convince people to lend you money, or to buy one thing from you at an exorbitant price (ie you convince them it's something else), or to go somewhere else for a second so you can rob them, or even to follow you around for a bit, or talk your way out of arrests (I had no idea officer, a shady-looking* outlander just sold me these soulgems, they went thatta way)

It's good that you can use it on all humanoids, and use insults to get away with murder, and dialogue choices are gated by disposition rather than direct skill checks, but it still feels a bit gimmicky. Ideally every skill would be equally engaging to use and increase, and speechcraft doesn't feel that way to me.

*: maybe this sounds like a compliment to vvardenfelites

babby's first playthrough had me assigned to be an imperial pilgrim after answering the character creation questions, and i was like level 6 before leaving seyda neen because i quickly noticed i could level up just by buying and selling things like arrows one at a time

mercantile needs work

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i didn't know uesp had twitter

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1068762528505888768

this is so cool. someone needs to make this into a mod

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generic Monk posted:

Did you know that if you get arrested before technically entering Whiterun in Skyrim, that you sequence break the game and potentially corrupt the save file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

:whoptc:

If you modded that in to Morrowind, where would the court(s) be, and where would you end up if you were set free? Seems like a new potential fast-travel option.

E: OH, also, obviously, you should be able to report fake crimes to guards and get people temporarily arrested