Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Andrast posted:

Why are we assuming that Marco knows poo poo about anything?

He's a doctor!

Also, the "them" comment in Jaya could refer to Luffy and Zoro realizing that these weirdos they keep encountering (Blackbeard, Doc Q, Burgess) were related in some way.

That's how I've always read it, but it could be the brothers thing, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

E: One Piece is good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Startin back up with Chapter 146, "National Security"

Sanji's big grin HES A MONSTER about Luffy is great. Also, I wonder why Chopper can change his size. At first I assumed it was a devil fruit power, but his devil fruit made him like a human, and I don't think humans can change size like that... Wait, what would happen if a human ate the hito hito fruit? Would they become the most human of all humans? Lotta good Sanji lines in this chapter, especially the one about afro-bros. AND THEN HE LAUNCHED LUFFY LIKE A GODDAMN MISSILE HELL YEAH! Aww, poor wooly hippo.

Aww, Hiluluk inspired the MD 20s! OH gently caress WAPOLHOUSE IS AWESOME. Huh, they're calling it the Munch Munch Fruit now, when earlier it was called Baku Baku Fruit. Make up your mind, translators! (I do prefer munch munch fruit though) Oh, so Wapol is like a deranged kirby. CHESS MARIMO COMBINATION!

I dunno how Luffy goes from being so lighthearted and goofy to being so cool. You'd think that he would be hard to take seriously, but it just works so well.

Oh my god Luffy's sparkly SEVEN FORMS? panel is the best poo poo. Chopper's seven forms ARE pretty cool though.

Oh no, Wapol is in the castle. He's not gunna close the door, is he...? NO HES JUST GOING TO EAT HIMSELF. And now he's skinny, and now Luffy is gunna kick his fuckin' rear end.

Has tongue became, a cannon! And then the biggest loving gomu gomu bullet ever, goddamn. I agree, Luffy, JUST SHUT UP AND COME WITH US ALREADY!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CodfishCartographer posted:

Wait, what would happen if a human ate the hito hito fruit?

Word of Oda: They reach enlightenment.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Startin back up with Chapter 146, "National Security"

Sanji's big grin HES A MONSTER about Luffy is great. Also, I wonder why Chopper can change his size. At first I assumed it was a devil fruit power, but his devil fruit made him like a human, and I don't think humans can change size like that... Wait, what would happen if a human ate the hito hito fruit? Would they become the most human of all humans? Lotta good Sanji lines in this chapter, especially the one about afro-bros. AND THEN HE LAUNCHED LUFFY LIKE A GODDAMN MISSILE HELL YEAH! Aww, poor wooly hippo.

Aww, Hiluluk inspired the MD 20s! OH gently caress WAPOLHOUSE IS AWESOME. Huh, they're calling it the Munch Munch Fruit now, when earlier it was called Baku Baku Fruit. Make up your mind, translators! (I do prefer munch munch fruit though) Oh, so Wapol is like a deranged kirby. CHESS MARIMO COMBINATION!

I dunno how Luffy goes from being so lighthearted and goofy to being so cool. You'd think that he would be hard to take seriously, but it just works so well.

Oh my god Luffy's sparkly SEVEN FORMS? panel is the best poo poo. Chopper's seven forms ARE pretty cool though.

Oh no, Wapol is in the castle. He's not gunna close the door, is he...? NO HES JUST GOING TO EAT HIMSELF. And now he's skinny, and now Luffy is gunna kick his fuckin' rear end.

Has tongue became, a cannon! And then the biggest loving gomu gomu bullet ever, goddamn. I agree, Luffy, JUST SHUT UP AND COME WITH US ALREADY!

Zoan's have 3 forms; their natural state, a hybrid mode, and a full animal mode.

As for if a human ate the human fruit.

quote:

This fruit's ability is not effective for humans, as if one ate it, they will not gain any abilities, but all the weaknesses of a normal Devil Fruit user. Oda jokingly stated that the human eater would perhaps gain some enlightenment, finding themselves

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Last Celebration posted:

So am I just a crazy person for thinking that Blackbeard can have multiple powers because the Dark Dark fruit absorbs the fruit powers and exploits a loophole in the “eat two and explode” rule?

Yeah it's this because otherwise the fruit's powers suck too much for Blackbeard to consider it the greatest one ever. It's Fujitora's except worse. Probably has something to do with DF nullification thing, like touching them saps their power but [???]ing them lets you take it outright.

TheLoneStar posted:

Yes you are, because it was specified that it was Blackbeard's "weird body" that allowed him to get multiple Devil Fruit powers.

If I saw a dude defy a known physical law I'd probably say "that guys fuckin weird" too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel like people itt under sell just how powerful devil fruit nullification is. Just because haki lets you hit logia users doesn't necessarily mean it always works. Just look at aokiji breaking up when whitebeard impaled him

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Jose posted:

I feel like people itt under sell just how powerful devil fruit nullification is. Just because haki lets you hit logia users doesn't necessarily mean it always works. Just look at aokiji breaking up when whitebeard impaled him

Even better when your follow up is delivering an earthquake to their face.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Luffy's Super Saiyan is entirely dependant on his body's rubber properties. If Blackbeard can deactivate it he's hosed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nami being a trainee kunoichi may be fun. She is a proven cat burglar and all.

And my guess on Blackbeard was something like a Rusty Venture situation with possibly an absorbed twin, though going full Zaphord Beeblebrox might be fun. But I get the impression it specifically required the Dark-Dark fruit in combination with whatever unique traits his body has to work. And don't count out Hideo Kojima-level hilarious misunderstanding of biology that Oda is probably still going to happily go with even if someone told him along the line that's not how biology works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pureauthor posted:

Also Luffy's Super Saiyan is entirely dependant on his body's rubber properties. If Blackbeard can deactivate it he's hosed.

The question there is whether Blackbeard's power deactivation works the same way as Seastone/the ocean. (interesting that the weakness isn't just to salt water or seawater but any standing body of water) As established, Luffy's body remains rubber even when immersed in water, he just can't move under his own power.

Should be noted that Luffy's deal isn't even so much incredible strength (relative to the upper tiers of the setting) but endurance, with or without his Devil Fruit power. (and thanks to surviving Magellan, he has a huge resistance to any form of poison or toxin) If anyone's going to learn to resist the effects of Seastone by sheer practice and willpower, it's him. And rivalry is the most powerful motivator in shonen.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 1, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Luffy goes limp and powerless when he touches seastone in other situations because It Is Funny.

Luffy can move around and lift heavy stuff while touching seastone now because It Is Cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I mean, Luffy kinda has an entire fighting style built around his crazy rubber powers but the man is still almost as strong as Zoro, a guy who recently cut a mountain man into bits. Turning off the gears on demand is pretty good, just not, you know, “my fruit absorbs damage and amplifies said damage but it’s still the king of devil fruits, no really guys” good.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Luffy goes limp and powerless when he touches seastone in other situations because It Is Funny.

Luffy can move around and lift heavy stuff while touching seastone now because It Is Cool.

It's cause both of them were starving at the time, did you see that huge stack of food on their trays?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Parrotine posted:

It's cause both of them were starving at the time, did you see that huge stack of food on their trays?
I meant now VS Alabasta or Dressrosa. He's done the "oh no seastone, I'm a noodle now" in the past because it's a funny gag. It's never happened during an actual fight to my knowledge. Like other people have said, plenty of people have been shown up and about just fine with seastone cuffs on, it just weakens them and turns off their fruit. The floppy insta-power-down thing that other people were pointing to as an inconsistency or retcon was just a gag, is what I meant.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The question there is whether Blackbeard's power deactivation works the same way as Seastone/the ocean. (interesting that the weakness isn't just to salt water or seawater but any standing body of water) As established, Luffy's body remains rubber even when immersed in water, he just can't move under his own power.

when blackbeard beat him up in impel down they made a big deal about luffy bleeding even though hes made of rubber

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

King the Wildfire had an outfit similar to Magellan's. Would it be hilarious if King was a former Warden of Impel Down, but kept doing the prison kills so he became a pirate to do just that instead

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

HerraS posted:

when blackbeard beat him up in impel down they made a big deal about luffy bleeding even though hes made of rubber

I'm still kind of curious as to how Blackbeard beat Ace in the first place. You'd expect someone who was physically even stronger than Luffy to be ok without his logia abilities, especially against someone who supposedly feels physical pain more greatly. Same thing when it comes to Luffy finally fighting Blackbeard. Even without being able to actively stretch his body, Luffy ought to be able to overpower Blackbeard in terms of physical strength. Luffy bleeds a lot and not just because of sharp or pointy things. His threshold for punishment is immense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

I'm still kind of curious as to how Blackbeard beat Ace in the first place. You'd expect someone who was physically even stronger than Luffy to be ok without his logia abilities, especially against someone who supposedly feels physical pain more greatly. Same thing when it comes to Luffy finally fighting Blackbeard. Even without being able to actively stretch his body, Luffy ought to be able to overpower Blackbeard in terms of physical strength. Luffy bleeds a lot and not just because of sharp or pointy things. His threshold for punishment is immense.

Remember that the last we saw of them was a fruit-nuke duel. All Teach had to do was switch off Ace's powers during that and he'd win.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shoren posted:

Ace sucks

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shoren posted:

From what little we've seen, Blackbeard seems to also have a pretty immense threshold for punishment. He whines about it and doesn't have an ounce of stoicism, but he takes it nonetheless.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It also helps to remember that Blackbeard gave Shanks his eye scars in a straight up fight before he had his darkness powers, dudes not at all dignified but he's a lot more then just fruit hax it seems.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Andrast posted:

Ace sucks

This is why he died.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Blackbeard is insanely strong. I'm sure he was a lot physically stronger than Ace. I don't think just anyone has the strength to almost sink an island just because they have the gura gura no mi. You need Whitebeard levels of strength to use the fruit like he does. Also, tanking that bisento slash like that was probably one of the biggest feats in taking punishment we've seen. It didn't even do that much to him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Eiba posted:

From what little we've seen, Blackbeard seems to also have a pretty immense threshold for punishment. He whines about it and doesn't have an ounce of stoicism, but he takes it nonetheless.

Doesn't Luffy also whine during his fight with Katakuri?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

:hmmyes:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Andrast posted:

Why are we assuming that Marco knows poo poo about anything?

look dude it's a fun theory but for the time being I'll take actual foreshadowing stated in the manga more seriously than reader speculation

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I imagine Blackbeard is able to absorb any ranged or projectile attack so he's only vulnerable to direct combat - not favorable for Ace at all.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZsh8vIwLg

blackbeard drat near broke aces neck in one punch

but yeah at the end ace was pretty fatigued while blackbeard seemed fine. even if Ace started winning Blackbeard's crew would probably jump in.

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2018

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the darkness fruits powers were known, that's why blackbeard wanted the thing. but it was also known that no one could eat two fruits without dying.

so either blackbeard gambled on the darkness fruit letting him eat another fruit (terrible loving idea) or it's something else.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Andrast posted:

Ace sucks
Real talk though, Ace seemed kind of weak for an Emperor's third in command. Like Jinbe blocked Akainu's lava attack with his bare hand and it barely did any damage, yet Ace couldn't effectively stop a similar attack. He couldn't even use all three types of Haki, and apparently never used Conqueror's Haki after that one incident as a kid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheLoneStar posted:

Real talk though, Ace seemed kind of weak for an Emperor's third in command. Like Jinbe blocked Akainu's lava attack with his bare hand and it barely did any damage, yet Ace couldn't effectively stop a similar attack. He couldn't even use all three types of Haki, and apparently never used Conqueror's Haki after that one incident as a kid.
Ace may have been kind of a dumbass. You ever look at his arm?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZsh8vIwLg

blackbeard drat near broke aces neck in one punch

but yeah at the end ace was pretty fatigued while blackbeard seemed fine. even if Ace started winning Blackbeard's crew would probably jump in.

this is the anime so not canon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

the darkness fruits powers were known, that's why blackbeard wanted the thing. but it was also known that no one could eat two fruits without dying.

so either blackbeard gambled on the darkness fruit letting him eat another fruit (terrible loving idea) or it's something else.

This right here is why I’m pretty firmly convinced that this was the case, the man is pretty much a collection of terrible ideas that happen to work out fantastically.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

Ace may have been kind of a dumbass. You ever look at his arm?

the crossed out s stands for sabo

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

NecroMonster posted:

On paper becoming a warlord just so he could invade the most secure prison in the world and increase the ranks of his crew was also a terrible loving idea. But it worked.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Its weird how blackbeard kept pulling insane death defying stunts even though hes been shown to be kind of a coward when in serious danger. maybe hes scared but his ambition is strong enough to make him take the risk regardless. Which would be another way hes sort of like the anti-luffy, blackbeard would be fine with going on a boring adventure if he had the chance

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I think Oda said in an SBS than Whitebeard Pirate Division Commander numbers aren't necessarily based on power. Ace was probably the fourth-strongest Division Commander.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard also turned down a commander position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Caidin posted:

It also helps to remember that Blackbeard gave Shanks his eye scars in a straight up fight before he had his darkness powers, dudes not at all dignified but he's a lot more then just fruit hax it seems.

He probably did it with a broken beer bottle too :allears: