Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OminousEdge posted:

Yeah. Tales Sidequests are Kinda BS, but guess what? The were memorable BS, otherwise would we even be talking about them right now?
I vividly remember FF10's "dodge 200 lightning strikes" quest, but I don't know that this makes it a better quality of bullshit than if I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cardiovorax posted:

I vividly remember FF10's "dodge 200 lightning strikes" quest, but I don't know that this makes it a better quality of bullshit than if I didn't.

I did it... but miscounted so I stopped at 199 strikes

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

I did it... but miscounted so I stopped at 199 strikes

Always go for like 10 more than you need, that way you don't fall prey to miscounting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Or, better yet, spare yourself the suffering and don't even try to do it. The reward isn't even worth it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
If you can kill whatever boss is before you in 11 hits, I don't see any reason to bother going out to do something mindnumbingly tedious for a weapon that will kill it in 10 hits. Much like all-powerful weapons that appear when you kill the strongest boss in the game, all you've done when you acquire them is prove that you didn't need them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's alright for series that have super-ultra-secret bosses that really take every trick in your endgame book to deal with at all, but outside of Shin Megami Tensei, you don't really get that a lot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Accordion Man posted:

Id's almost right at endgame but the Shadow Hearts Trilogy loves throwing a slew of sidequests at you once you gain access to the final dungeon. Said sidequests in the series are usually actual dungeons and not lovely mini-games like FF 10 so they're worth doing.

The ony downside to the sidequests in this game is the actual method of triggering them, as we'll find out - some of them have very specific criteria that you'd have to know about in advance, or stumble on by luck.

Kowloon was probably the most obscure, because it relies on getting all those answers "correct" when Alice is being tortured, and then going against the story to decide to randomly examine that boat again. They're not as bad as that in these upcoming ones.

But yeah, the actual sidequest dungeons tend to be pretty neat, without having to dodge 200 lightning bolts, or win 20 games of underwater trash-soccer, or whatever; just nice, simple dungeons with a gimmick, or mood.

Also, on topic of the latest upadate, I do like how they've expanded the Nemeton site and kept it feeling sorta consistant with Koudelka; that underground shrine that's randomly in Koudelka, and those whole underground sections cut into the bedrock. The one shame is that we don't get to explore the top-side ruins a bit more - like the main gate, or broken lady statues or something, but that's understandable.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

The ony downside to the sidequests in this game is the actual method of triggering them, as we'll find out - some of them have very specific criteria that you'd have to know about in advance, or stumble on by luck.

Kowloon was probably the most obscure, because it relies on getting all those answers "correct" when Alice is being tortured, and then going against the story to decide to randomly examine that boat again. They're not as bad as that in these upcoming ones.

But yeah, the actual sidequest dungeons tend to be pretty neat, without having to dodge 200 lightning bolts, or win 20 games of underwater trash-soccer, or whatever; just nice, simple dungeons with a gimmick, or mood.

Also, on topic of the latest upadate, I do like how they've expanded the Nemeton site and kept it feeling sorta consistant with Koudelka; that underground shrine that's randomly in Koudelka, and those whole underground sections cut into the bedrock. The one shame is that we don't get to explore the top-side ruins a bit more - like the main gate, or broken lady statues or something, but that's understandable.

Yeah. Shadow Heart Endgame Sidequests are usually great as they have actual depth to them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

They also tend to flesh out your party members some more too, seeing is that every character has their own sidequest to unlock their best stuff.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

McTimmy posted:

I don't remember Symphonia too well but I know in Abyss you get ridiculous things like using a map ability to attack something you've no indication you can do, ridiculous things like a spot you do, specifically triggering the most plot relevant sidequest heading to an area you otherwise have no reason whatsoever to go for which then spans the entire game with equally obtuse triggers including requiring you to get a prompt of "fight the final boss y/n" before unlocking its end. Then in Vesperia you have absurdities like getting the 3rd and 4th parts of sidequests without hitting the 1st and 2nd but then because you didn't get those it stops at 4 and you can't get someone's best weapon.

Is Vesperia worth playing? I'm curious about getting the Definitive Edition on PS4 in January.

I just bought Star Ocean 4 HD Remaster... and it's terrible. It was only $10.49 so not a big deal. It's sitting in my backlog while I play Spyro.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Is Vesperia worth playing? I'm curious about getting the Definitive Edition on PS4 in January.

I just bought Star Ocean 4 HD Remaster... and it's terrible. It was only $10.49 so not a big deal. It's sitting in my backlog while I play Spyro.

Dear god is it worth playing. The main Character is one of THE BEST Tales Protagonists ever. Everything about it is great, and I am only speaking of the Basic Version of the game. The Remaster is gonna be even better.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a very different take on Vesperia. It starts of strong but as the game continues both the quality of the plot and of Yuri as a unique protagonist decrease rapidly.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I still don't know why Squenix thought remaking a game so legendarily terrible it killed the series was a good idea.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Jagged Jim posted:

I still don't know why Squenix thought remaking a game so legendarily terrible it killed the series was a good idea.

Star Ocean's not dead yet! It's just sleeping! They came out with a fifth one!

:cry:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Jagged Jim posted:

They didn't even remake it. I can barely tell if there's any visual enhancements at all. The environments, the bloom, and the character models are all still hideous. I thought maybe the battle system would be fun, but... it isn't. It's slower and clunkier than both 2 and 3.

You can tell that they didn't care about it nearly as much as how much effort they put into remaking FFX/X-2/XII. Even the .hack//G.U. games were remade with more care than SO4.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXI: Amon

Music: Wind Which Blows From the Dark II

Hmm… Well, this is quite a place. Hard to believe the basement contains all this. It’s enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight.
Is Wales known for its ziggurats?
Yuri, how do you not know any geography or basic social norms half the time... but you know what a ziggurat is...?
<shrugs> I read it in a nudie mag article.
<bewildered glare>
What?! I clearly DID read it for the articles.

The spirits in this place are very different from any other place… They don’t feel any happiness or pain. They’re just… nothingness that floats around.
I'm somewhat wary of the giant tentacles floating around up top there as well...
...Yeah, that ain't great.

Maybe those graves aren’t for humans.
<That Voice> I have been expecting you…
Bacon! Albert old buddy! Where’re ya hidin’ these days?
I’m right above you. Please, come on up.
Like up the stairs or literally above us? You can fly, my dude. Also, we're underground so you could be ABOVE ground. You gotta have some specificity, man!
<sigh> Up the stairs.

You just sit tight!! We’ll be there before you know it!!

Well, no sense in keeping the old man waiting. Hey, remember multiple people weirdly going on about Koudelka being dead after last time we saw her? Well... they definitely jumped the gun a LITTLE bit.

Roger Bacon was certain that the Door of Judgment would open.
Well, yeah. He opened it...
It seemed pretty easy to do, honestly.
Hmm... interesting. I didn't bother trying. Teleportation lets one sidestep so many mundane tasks.

<shakes head> Hah! So this is all part of your plan, too, eh? So you’re not planning on running this time, then?
This is the big finale for me, you see. Which means you’ll finally be able to achieve closure as well.
Albert. What are you planning? Is it the same as the Demon’s Gate Invocation?

Alice. I broke the seal inside the Vatican and stole the three secret books. The first is the Pulse Tract. With it, one can command the earth veins in order to wake an ancient god. Dehuai went far with this. He woke the Seraphic Radiance, but somehow it remained sealed within that boy.
Sure, I needed to push his corpse past the finish line. But it was far more than anyone expected of him.
I'm sure everyone in the smoking crater of Shanghai is thrilled about it...
Now whose fault is that?
Yours!
You, jag-off!
<nods> That was definitely on you.
...That's fair.

Aside from a few hundred sacrifices, naturally.
But both Patrick and Jack failed… They only succeeded in making a soulless puppet…
I assume that is how it went down with dear old Jack. To be honest, I have had a lot on my plate of late and forgot all about giving him the Emigre Document until I heard about the orphanage closure back in London.
Yeah, more or less...
A pity.

An omnipotent god from the far reaches of space shall descend upon earth to cleanse us!!
<sigh> Oh great, you're one of THOSE baddies...
<steps forward> Hey now, you quack magician! I can’t let you do that! You can’t hurt others just so you can play this game of misplaced vengeance!
Yuri, you still haven’t figured it out? That in order to begin anew… we must first wipe the slate clean.

Music: Much Hatred Still Rankles

No, I am summoning a god. Pay attention, boy.
I did... back when I saw this whole dumb plan in a crappy comic book.
Don't compare my plans with such lowbrow rot.

You’ve got plenty of excuses, but I think you’re just after revenge for what happened in the past!! My father worked hard to protect this world! I’m not letting a deluded scheme take it all away!
Fool!! What value is there in a rotten world such as this?! Do you really believe that your power alone is enough to right all the injustices of the world?!
I mean... I just gotta punch you out and yah...
<starts pacing> I can see… not perfectly, but I can see the future in store for this world… A few foolish elite will soon bring about a tragedy which will inflict great misery upon us all!! None will escape, and earth will overflow with the screaming of the dead who know not yet their fate. An iron behemoth will rise and in a flash, countless lives will be snuffed out. A hopeless future!!
A war that covers the world, if you will. Maybe even two of them.
We mustn’t bring this future upon the world!! But this terrible vision is drawing nearer as we speak!!
So to avoid a terrible whatever where tons of people die you are gonna... summon some god to kill everyone? Al, buddy, you're seeing how that ain't really the best solution...? Right?

Simon raises his arm.

Yeah, but what if whatever vague thing you're afraid of is inevitable and you're just delaying it? Also what if... whatever it is, god or whatever, you're summoning doesn't want to blow up the world and just like makes the moon explode? That who you wanna be? The idiot who made some alien god explode the moon?
I do not know why I punish myself using words against you. It is a waste of everyone's time.
Yeah, cuz all the words comin' out of your mouth are DUMB AS HELL!
Let us go back to something you do understand, eh?

You'd think Yuri would build up a resistance to Dapper Force Lightning after getting zapped so many times.

Alice and Margarete run up to Yuri's aid.

Heehee! The sages of every age were called that! Let history decide if my actions were good or bad. For now, we must simply forge ahead!
You're destroying the planet, dumbass! There ain't gonna be a history.
I never said anything about *human* history judging me.

<turns to Koudelka> Koudelka, Witch of the Dark Flames! Come with me and let us raise the throne of the “Other Gods!” The legacy of the ancient gods! Neameeto!

Albert floods the area with his Dapper Force Lightning. Koudelka does not seem to be having a good time due to it. The rest of the party tries to intervene but...

Welp. It's a LOT of lightning and Yuri never built up his bolt dodging skills on the Thunder Plains.

The laser light show just kind of goes on for a while. That is, until...

Music: Tanjou

What?! But why? The power flow has stopped! The “float” cannot be raised!! Koudelka! Is it you?!
I'm just a medium with a little curing power and I'm over your BULLSHIT.

You’re going to disappear into the darkness with me, to a world of nothingness…
N-no, it cannot be… are you saying that you intend to kill us both?!
You wouldn’t understand. I’d give my life to save that child’s future without a second thought.
What…?!
You gave your word! You'd help me in exchange for the boy's life!
What part of that bargain holds up when you intend to destroy the world and kill everyone on it?
A... a minor technicality...

Now…

Seems Koudelka can also do Halley's power-up special. But she can focus hers into a combo fireball straight into Albert Simon's balls, taking him out instantly.

gently caress 'em up, Socrates!

Unfortunately...

Music: ENDS

Albert Simon is a VERY sore loser. It's kind of the crux of his turn to evil...

N-no…! The Soul Contract…?

I wanted to save this power for last, but I have no choice…
Can someone explain that proper noun? It sounds bad. Alice, you know what this Soul Contract thing is?
<shrug> I've been a touch lost this whole time...
Do not fret, my dears. I'll give you a full demonstration.
Is it a stupid monster form like Dehuai and Wugui had...?
Silence! I'm on another level with those fools!
<turns to the others> It's totally that...

Albert!!

Albert Simon briefly collapses as the energy dissipates.

Ho ho ho… Yuri. Come for me!!
...Naw, I'm good.

You think you are the only one with fusion powers!?
...Wait, wh-

Music: Demon's Gig

OK... If I've got this straight Albert Simon wants to use the Pulse Tract, an until now completely unmentioned tome similar to the Emigre Document, to summon some sort of god alien to Earth and hope it is really rowdy and nukes the planet because he vaguely knows World War I is about to go down and that seems like a huge bummer time. Yeah... we should probably not let him do that... Gonna go ahead and make the bold claim that both World Wars were preferable to a global extinction event.

With that said, Albert Simon is quite over the gang's bullshit and it's time for a proper battle against our warlock nemesis. Kinda... Albert initially begins with roughly 2000 HP, give or take. Remember that boss fight against Yuri early in the European adventures? It's gonna kinda be like that.

Sandaphlon is actually pretty useful for this fight by sheer virtue of using its Holy Crest spell to boost everyone's defenses. My first playthrough I don't think I had Alice with her full party heal yet, but did get Yuri's Level 3 Light Fusion so he was on healing duty for this battle. It made this fight a little bit rougher. But we're gonna stick to the tried and true Ifrit for now.

Usually, we've just been buffing Yuri with Ignition to boost his physical stats. But we've also been stuck almost exclusively with extra party members that were magic oriented so hell if it would have been any use there. Margarete, however, can totally benefit from a nice boost to her physical stats.

Alice's first duty is going to be giving Margarete Holy Edge to shift her physical affinity over to Light magic since Albert Simon is a Dark elemental jerk.

After that, Margarete is just on shooting Simon in the face duty while we spend Yuri and Alice's next turns giving our punchboy the same buff regiment. Marge and Yuri will both be dishing out around 350-400 HP of damage for this phase of the fight. It's going to go by very quickly at this rate. Which is good, as Cardinal Simon has some real bullshit moves.

He's still packing Revelation as his primary attack. Thankfully, we have a party that can withstand a blow from this attack and not Level 1 folks still in the tutorial. It only causes around 75-100 HP of damage at this juncture. Though, Simon can buff himself with Black Surge where he just kind of vapes/blows a cloud of fart gas (is there truly a difference) and suddenly has 33% more special attack output. Still, it ain't too bad.

On the other hand, here's a brand new attack unique to Albert Simon. He just loving plops down the goddamn Ark of the Covenant and cracks that sucker open on the party. No face melting here, it only does 100-125 damage to the entire party. On the other hand, if we weren't equipped with this Will Power accessories we bought from Roger's shop... this attack would also halve everyone's SP. We're probably NOT gonna be able to finish this fight in less than four more turns, so that... ain't the best surprise if you're going into this fight unprepared. It still does a good 100-120 HP of damage to the entire party and that ain't insignificant. Albert, knock that poo poo off! That thing belongs in a museum, not as a makeshift summon!

But hey, that's what we have Alice here for, isn't it? I mean, other than the fact she's mandatory for this segment of the game for... some reason. Come to think of it, she doesn't actually DO anything of note in Nemeton and barely has any dialogue other than bagging on Yuri for being weird occasionally.

As I said early, we just need whittle down roughly 2000 HP from the warlock. He's surprisingly not very durable for the primary antagonist. That is, until...

Hehehehe!

New Music: Sick loving
(The berserk version of Demon's Gig. Good a time as any to play it since we're firmly in bonus/end game bosses after this.)

Meet Amon -- Albert Simon's Soul Contract Fusion. The sequel makes a much bigger deal about this but in the Shadow Hearts world, you can make a pact with a demon/spirit/magical BS to get a one-off Fusion type ability. It's not fair if only the protagonist gets to have fun transforming into monsters, now is it? I think Dehuai and Wugui technically had a Soul Pact too which is why they had monster forms. It's just never brought up because of course Dehuai would be making every dumb sorcerer decision and hoping for the best.

In any event, Amon has 4000 HP and there is no break here its phase two of the same fight. A most notable difference between Albert Simon and Amon is that Amon has a Non-Elemental affiliation. With that in mind, Yuri and Margarete's Holy Edge buffs are now negated. Light element ain't gonna matter an extra spit against this guy.

Amon also has a powerful new (but very limited) skill set. And by "very limited" I mean it has exactly two techniques.

Demon Rays is a doom laser that will immolate one unfortunate target for a HEFTY 300ish HP of damage, give or take twenty points depending on who it is targeting.

This is the one we want it to use more often than not since Alice can just negate it with one of our stockpiles of Thera Roots. Remember, Arc is a massive MP drain and the less we have to use it the better. Sometimes good fashion home remedies are the best solution, ya know? For some reason, Amon just HATED Margarete and targeted her with like four out of the five Demon Rays it cast.

Ignition has probably worn off with Margarete by this point and we really can't afford to waste a turn topping her off again for just like maybe an extra 100 damage a turn. That's a 300 damage loss wasting Yuri's time and Yuri needs to top off Ignition again as well. Marge can shift over to her magic attacks. They'll only do around 200-250 damage but it's a little bit better than her physical shots will be doing. Amon is just innately more durable to physical strikes. He's a very chuffy boy. Margarete also needs to make sure Alice has enough SP/MP going forward. Yuri is too busy punching to both with that kinda stuff and we do NOT need Alice out of commission. Especially with the next attack coming up.

The thing we really need to worry about with Amon is Atomic Dust.

He just casts a nuke. We cannot come upon the horrors of the atomic age and the threat of nuclear Armageddon if it is I who burns the planet to ash first, Albert Simon declares flipping the Thanksgiving dinner table over and declaring his victory over the times.

This attack does around 150-200 HP of damage to the entire party. Which means Alice needs to tag in with Arc because the follow-up of Demon Ray will 100% KO whoever it targets with their HP drained from Atomic Dust.

As long as everyone stays the course, we should be OK. I was quite happy I managed to end this fight in the most demeaning way possible -- by having Margarete drop a pan on Amon's head.

Albert Simon did NOT prepare for the possibility of a French spy burrowing a hole through the top of the sanctuary ruins and dropping an iron pot on his head. Honestly, who possibly could have seen that one coming?

Music: Results

We get a massive load of experience and Cash for defeating Amon -- enough for Alice to learn Resurrection which... well... resurrects a KOed character. With full health, mind you. We're also rewarded +5 Soul Energy for every single element. We're moving into the endgame. We really need to get those Level 3 Fusions already!

The party also receives the final in the +20% series of earring accessories. This one boosts Sanity Points by 20%. This might not be a bad idea to stick on Alice sometime, given her eternal SP woes.

Most important of all... hey, remember that whole Destruction Stone sidequest we wasted the last time updates doing? Yeah, it was for this moment. The player MUST have the Destruction Stone in their inventory before fighting Albert Simon/Amon in order for Yuri to obtain the Amon Fusion. This is gone forever otherwise. There are no second chances!

Amon is one of two hidden bonus Fusions, this one being of the Non-Elemental Class despite looking like the Dark Elemental line's buff older brother. Amon boosts stats a straight +17 across the board in every single stat. He's a beast! The catch is... this jerk takes a whopping 56 Sanity Points for his Fusion. For reference, Yuri following this fight is currently sitting at 62 SP total.

Tune in next time as Albert Simon gracefully concedes his defeat and everything turns out just fine. Surely, the LP is nearly over!

Video: Simon Albert/Amon Boss Battle
(You should at least watch the Amon half.)

Amon Fusion Render - Devilman 2.0!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I had forgotten how easy it is to miss Amon considering how extremely canon it is to the sequel.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wasn't Amon also the name of the demon that fused with the protagonist of Devilman?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats quite the music title for that berserk theme there

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It must be a reference to Amon, Sinistral of Chaos, from the highly-influential RPG series Lufia. :v:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember kinda being disappointed with this fight, but that Holy Chest attack is an absolute bitch no matter what. Though I had completely forgotten about how you need to go berserk at all to get the higher end spells for the biggest and baddest fusions, and beforehand I just assumed Amon wouldn't have that problem. Guess I was wrong about that too.

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: Sick loving
(The berserk version of Demon's Gig. Good a time as any to play it since we're firmly in bonus/end game bosses after this.)

I checked the OST listing just to refresh my memory and it should be Sicking loving. I know most JRPGs didn't dare cross the f-bomb threshold at that time, and the only other one I had seen even come close to it was Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, so it stuck with me. Even GTA III wouldn't go that far. It was only until Manhunt came along I think that I'd seen "gently caress" in any console title and after it, people kinda sorta didn't care anymore.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I think you mean the Codex of Lurie instead of the Pulse Tract in the description for start of the Simon phase.

So I guess you didn't have it straight and picked the wrong just-introduced imaginary novel?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The "Codex of Lurie" is a mistransliteration, by the way. Later games call it the R'lyeh Codex. Because, you know, eldritch tentacular doom gods from the stars. :v:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wasn't Amon also the name of the demon that fused with the protagonist of Devilman?
It's from the Goetia, that one 16th century spellbook about demon summoning. It's one of those names that you'll see pop up all over the place, it has had a lot of time to filter into the public consciousness.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

The "Codex of Lurie" is a mistransliteration, by the way. Later games call it the R'lyeh Codex. Because, you know, eldritch tentacular doom gods from the stars. :v:

That makes WAY more sense. I was bashing my head off pronunciation and settled on the book of Hugh Laurie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the one and only real translation gently caress-up of that type in this game, I think, the localization has otherwise been really good. It's kind of excusable, though. 'R'lyeh' doesn't look a whole lot like a real word even when you aren't trying to spell out a phonetic approximation in katakana or whatever. Not their fault for assuming it was a nonsense word without a literary pedigree.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cardiovorax posted:

It's the one and only real translation gently caress-up of that type in this game, I think, the localization has otherwise been really good.

Uh, there have been multiple points in the story, pointed out in the LP, where everyone appears to just start spouting nonsense. Plus all the poorly translated Yamaraja bosses near the beginning, and other assorted blunders. There appear to have been more than a few translation or localization fumbles in this game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think they screw up any other proper nouns, though, which is what I meant.

But really, aside from one or two outlier sections, this is a really good translation for the era. Everyone speaks in a way that feels very natural and distinct to their character, which isn't no small praise when you consider what other PSX/PS2 games of the time were like.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Uh, there have been multiple points in the story, pointed out in the LP, where everyone appears to just start spouting nonsense. Plus all the poorly translated Yamaraja bosses near the beginning, and other assorted blunders. There appear to have been more than a few translation or localization fumbles in this game.

Was James O'Flaherty properly called a Bishop in Japan or did everyone forgot?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

The Yamarajas aren't so much poorly translated as questionably localised - like, why they chose to localise it using the Hindu name, rather than the Japanese or Chinese, Yánwáng or Enma-O - despite the Chinese setting, and that neither name is probably going to be familiar to a Western audience. Which is presumably why they localised 90% of the Asian monsters as something else.

The unhelpful suffixes can be excused if the translators are working from a contextless jumble of translations (which I'm pretty sure is how they were translating this sort of thing at the time - please correct me if wrong though), and having zero clue what the Japanese is in reference to - I have a suspicion it's either mountains or Japanese Battleships (if only because that's also a theme used in the sequel - and two of them share names with Battleships). Though, yeah, it should have been caught in playtesting really, or changed to something abstract, like they do with War and Calamity.

The actual character personalities are great in the localisation, and even something simple like changing Urmanov, to Yuri, just reads so much better. But yeah, the actual translation as such can get wonky as gently caress.

The sequel has Jeremy Blaustein on the localisation, and it makes it really shine.

And the third game translation is okay - the story and dialogue stuff is fine, but they really dropped the ball on whoever was translating the monster names; they either didn't know, or didn't give a gently caress about what any of the names are referencing, and just romanised them however.

Arbite posted:

Was James O'Flaherty properly called a Bishop in Japan or did everyone forgot?

He's explictly a Bishop in Koudelka (and in the Japanese versions) - it's been a while since Shadow Hearts, but I think he's just referenced as a generic priest. Calling him Father apparently isn't entirely incorrect, just very very informal, according to the ever trustworthy wikipedia.

The Most Reverend James O'Flaherty probably wouldn't let that fly though :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 29, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

And the third game translation is okay - the story and dialogue stuff is fine, but they really dropped the ball on whoever was translating the monster names; they either didn't know, or didn't give a gently caress about what any of the names are referencing, and just romanised them however.
Jeb Niglas.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The unhelpful suffixes can be excused if the translators are working from a contextless jumble of translations (which I'm pretty sure is how they were translating this sort of thing at the time - please correct me if wrong though), and having zero clue what the Japanese is in reference to - I have a suspicion it's either mountains or Japanese Battleships (if only because that's also a theme used in the sequel - and two of them share names with Battleships). Though, yeah, it should have been caught in playtesting really, or changed to something abstract, like they do with War and Calamity.
If I'm reading the posts someone made in this thread about playing along on the Japanese version correctly, a lot of the Yamaraja titles specifically were very weird kanji that are ambiguous and don't translate well for lack of a real equivalent in English, even if you know what they mean. Or something to that effect. Even if they are named in a way that directly contradicts how the bosses work mechanically, the translation team wasn't working with the easiest of materials there and I'm not sure a more faithful/literal translation would've been any less confusing to the player in practice.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Amon is a rather common antagonist name; he's also the big bad of the Starcraft universe.

Rather curious what twist is about to bring us into the endgame.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everyone actually having a distinct narrative voice in Shadow Hearts is also really important to the game being great. Part of what makes Yuri memorable is that he talks how you'd think a character like him would talk, so to speak. Same for Simon.

Hell, the same thing happened in Koudelka, backed up by voice acting that brought it home; everyone had distinct dialogue and a clear sense of how they sounded from the script alone, the good VAs just made it even clearer.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXII: Float

Huff, huff… it’s over… It’s all over now…
Huff... I even stole... your Fusion ability. Thanks for that! Seems spiffy.
H-How!?
I ain't really sure. I think it was a magic rock I picked up back in that cave. Doesn't matter. Finders keepers! You're done, Albert!

You are overconfident. It is I who will end it! Haven’t you noticed? All of the power generated by our battle has been transferred to the “float”!!
What?!

Albert Simon stands up.

You keep saying "float" like that. I dunno what that means. Alice, are we supposed to know what that means?
You've got to stop asking me as if I know.
So that's a no?
Oh, you'll find out soon enough...

<laughs> I have won!! I have won!!

Wait!!
God DAMMIT! We REALLY need to do something about that guy teleporting!!
Hey, you all... I have the sudden feeling that we should get out of this weird underground temple.
...Yeah. Same.
Ehh... Simon could be anywhere. What's the rush if we can't find him?
We should go RIGHT the hell now!!
...Yeah, OK. We should probably go. Koudelka has been pretty on the ball yelling in my head to run...

:siren: Click Here For Video! :siren:
(Hey go watch this! It's the rest of the update!)

New Music: Sign of Him (The Creation of God)
(This only ever plays here so you should probably listen to it!)

You know, it's weird nobody has gone diving even once in Saint George's Channel. I mean, as everyone knows the waters of Wales are lousy with ghost fish, sea dregs and all manners of unspeakable things from the depths of the murkiest of waters. But, if anyone had stuck their head down there they might have noticed the underwater castle with a giant biomechanical heart as its foundation at some point.

Maybe now someone will take note after it shoots a beam of energy into the sky. That usually draws curious folks' attention.

If that doesn't do it, surely the magical glyphs covering the British Isles will raise an eyebrow or two.

Or did I say the British Isles? I meant several times the width of the entire planet.

Yeah... yeah, I'd say it's safe to assume someone is gonna notice that one...

Wheeee!

Albert Simon is dumped onto the ground and quickly gathers his tophat. We're still in Wales. He's not going to be able to get another one of those anywhere around here. The only available headwear is dirtbag country folk caps and that won't do at all.

Hehehe... Watch... my ultimate dream... Now I shall achieve it.

BEHOLD! Worms convicted me in Nuremberg four hundred years ago... behold the fruits of your folly!

This light... this storm! Now... is the end of the world!!

The castle begins rising from the sea.

Oh glorious throne of the lord on high -- Neameeto!

This is indeed the signpost to a new tomorrow! The medium by which God shall bestow a new future to a world despoiled by human corruption!

Oh God, at last, the time has come! From the distant reaches of the universe and time, descend now upon this earth!

Heh! Thousands upon thousands before me have tried but failed...
None that I am aware of... But they undoubtedly existed! Probably... Who wouldn't want this?!

But I am the one who will finally achieve it!!

Hey! That thing is in the background of the boxart opposite Albert Simon's giant ghost head.

Most of the support tubes snap off and fall back to the sea. But the central err... umbilical cord, for lack of a better term, seems to be a touch more sturdy. Also... kind of tracking back toward land...

It's nice that the rest of the party decided to run over from London to see what the flying hell is going on in Wales. Don't look too closely to see that everyone outside Yuri and Alice is just their low-poly battle models.

W-What!? What is this!?
Alice, what the HECK is all this?
I DON'T KNOW! Stop asking me!

Say... Is it just me or is that... the tube attached to the... err...
I think Albert Simon called it a "float" if I'm not mistaken.
That is an awkward name, but sure... the float... It's rising, right?
Sure is...
And that tube is still attached to it.
Indeed.
I cannot help but notice it's about to hit land... like it's buried underground.
We did see some tentacle type things like that back in the creepy joint beneath the monastery ruins.
Uh-huh... So I cannot help but also notice where we're standing in relation to that...
I don't follo—

Oh CRAAAAP!!

That would have been embarrassing if after all that the party got obliterated by an underground power cable. Why the hell did they run out here anywhere? They're like five miles from the Nemeton Monastery ruins.

Hehehehaha! The float has arisen! There's nothing you can do to stop it now!

<flies up toward the float> HAHAHAHA!

Sonuva...
...Yeah, I got nothin'.

Meanwhile, on the edges of dark space, it seems Meteor has been summoned and is on a cruise course for the Milky Way Galaxy. You know, on top of everything else.

Seven days from now... God shall descend to Earth. You can... wave your fists all you want...

It will change ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

Well, so much for just running up that cord. Wales is going to be a mess with all this alien tech littering the countryside. I mean, a mess different from the usual way.

The blackness of the abyss awaits! The pulse of the stars... The lifeforce of all living things... All will be stopped! Soon... death will rain down upon the earth like mana! Hehehe! HAHAHAHA!!

Video: Episode 62 Highlight Reel
(Hey go watch this!)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 1, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Those last couple lines by Simon are what I feel to be the best voice acted lines in the game and some of my favorite lines in the series.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Seven days, huh? Sounds like it's SIDEQUEST TIME

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be honest here. Pretty much as soon as the game revealed that Faux Bacon was Albert Simon it felt to me that he started acting like Generic jRPG Arch-villain instead of the Dapper Trollmancer he was up to that point. At least he's still holding onto that hat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The medium by which God shall bestow a new future and a world despoiled by human corruption!
I think that's supposed to say "to a world."

Also, guess I was wrong. He really does want to kill everything. So much for that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 1, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Those last couple lines by Simon are what I feel to be the best voice acted lines in the game and some of my favorite lines in the series.

Dude has a great evil laugh, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think that's supposed to say "to a world."

Also, guess I was wrong. He really does want to kill everything. So much for that.

:sigh: Just another omnicidal nihilist in a JRPG.