Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tender Bender posted:

Celeste is so good ya'll

Another easy example of how music can bring a game to another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Imagined posted:

This and the fact that I've literally never failed to regret selling a game or console at some point afterward.

Huh, I'm the opposite. I've never missed a game that I sold, only because:

a) there's too many drat games
b) if I really want to relieve a game, there's always YouTube vids or emulation

There's a few rare exceptions like bloodborne but in general ehhh, turns out I dislike clutter more than I miss old games. Which is where digital kinda owns, I rarely ever go back to play stuff in my library but at least it's not taking any physical space

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Silver Falcon posted:

Having a bunch of games with you without having to actually have them on you in a carrying case or whatever, and not having to swap out carts if I want to play a different game. This is especially handy while travelling. It saves a lot of space. I like it in particular for games that I come back to a lot, like Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, etc. Not so much games I beat and consider myself done with, but games I end up coming back to over and over. Animal Crossing would be another prime example of a game I would much rather have downloaded, ditto for Pokemon.

As to your second point, what would happen is you would lose access to your games, yeah. As to worries about the system bricking... it's Nintendo. Their poo poo lasts. I figure by the time that needs to be a worry, I either won't be interested in playing those games anymore, or emulation will have reached the point where I still can if I want to. :shrug: We're talking about like a couple decades down the line, probably. Nintendo only recently shut down download service for the Wii and the DS.

Imagined posted:

This and the fact that I've literally never failed to regret selling a game or console at some point afterward.

:agreed: dehumanize yourself and face to digital distribution

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
There was a goon asking a few pages back about which indie games to get on Switch. A few that weren't mentioned:
NeuroVoider: Awesome twin-stick rogue-like, with multiplayer, where you pick one of three classes of robots and upgrade them over 20 levels (of which you can also choose from, randomly generated of course) with head, chassis, leg, and left & right weapon parts. Good controls, good graphics, good music. Genuinely challenging boss fights that quickly go from mere damage sponge to full-on bullet hell.
Nidhogg 2: A substantial upgrade to the Joust-inspired lo-fi fencing game. It's a back and forth swordfighting game with a few different weapon types, really dope music (Ghostly records artists) & "ugly" 16-bit graphics. I can't wait to play this against other humans. It's like Bushido Blade as a head-to-head 2D platformer.
Kamiko: If old-school Zelda was designed to be speedran. Also like three bucks.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like having a collection but the normal cycle for me has been amass a bunch of games, play 60% of them, put them on a shelf, and finally give them away/sell them years later. If I want to replay something in this day and age, odds are I can find a way to play it.

I think for me the physical/digital divide is one of impulse control. I went all digital on the WiiU and as a result I bought a bunch of games I never really played. With the Switch, limiting myself to physical for full game releases and only allowing new purchases once I've actually beaten games I own has been good. I've finished more games in the last year then the previous two or three.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm buying all digital and playing barely anything and I'm loving it. I got mad at Diablo for actually making me invest time. I wish the Switch had a streetpass thing where I could buy digital games for other people nearby so I could watch their libraries become full of great, unplayed games like mine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What am I supposed to play now that I finished up pokemon?

Was the Mario XCom Donkey kong DLC any good?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I also remember the music changing from the :krad: butt rock (with lyrics!) to something more generic.

sonic adventure isn't a perfect game but this was by far the worst thing about it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/camposanto/status/1068685676906917888

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone finally uploaded the new Kirby final boss music and it still amazes me. The fight lasts like a minute or two at most usually, assuming you don't die, yet they composed a 8 minute long song just for it. The fact it transitions to 8-bit and Kirby's theme to drive home the ~lore~ is still really cool.

I don't know how Sonic and Kirby continue to have 10/10 soundtracks but here we are.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How is Ark on Switch?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hell yeah, I’ve wanted to play this since it came out but my computer sucks too much.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cosmic star heroine is on sale for like $4 for Vita, but it’s $15 for switch. Is there any compelling reason to go with the switch version? I only play handheld mode

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Oh cool, I'm gonna finally play firewatch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you must play Firewatch please at least wait for it to go on sale. It somehow has less gameplay than Abzu and the narrative is not capable of carrying your experience with it.

Andrast posted:

What am I supposed to play now that I finished up pokemon?

Was the Mario XCom Donkey kong DLC any good?

Its a bunch more content for the best game on the system so yes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I would not recommend buying Firewatch at full price. It's a play once game and super short at that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked Firewatch, and I also liked Gone Home. If you liked one you'll probably like the other. It's basically an interactive narrative but it does a good job with it. The player character's voice is Harry Crane from Mad Men so if you're anything like me, you'll picture him looking like this

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I liked Abzu a ton but mostly because the soundtrack was amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

I liked Firewatch, and I also liked Gone Home. If you liked one you'll probably like the other. It's basically an interactive narrative but it does a good job with it. The player character's voice is Harry Crane from Mad Men so if you're anything like me, you'll picture him looking like this

Gone Home was ok and Firewatch was boring as hell imo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Volte posted:

Naw. Liked gone home. Couldnt be bothered to finish fire watch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fire watch it on YouTube

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

Hell yeah, I’ve wanted to play this since it came out but my computer sucks too much.

:yeah: I’m in the same boat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fire watch it on YouTube

:yeah:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Celeste is a game that I think is really good to the point I told a couple friends "yo you need to play this it's awesome" but I still think it's weird how pushed it is at stuff like the game awards. Like its good but it being up there feels more like they needed a indie to toss up and just kinda grabbed it.

Still a good game though and I think if you like tough platformers its a no brainer.

Also I couldn't like Gone Home, I thought it was really boring and uninteresting and just did not care for it at all. I find the speedruns that can be fit into a gif more entertaining to watch. Firewatch I never tried but I don't think I've heard anything positive about it like, at all. Just "boy this story is awful" and when a game is nothing but story that turns me off pretty hard.

Only relaxing walking sim I remember liking is Journey on the PS3(4? It's been awhile)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 1, 2018

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I couldn't like Gone Home, I thought it was really boring and uninteresting and just did not care for it at all. I find the speedruns that can be fit into a gif more entertaining to watch.
It's a story, not a game. That's like speedrunning a book by turning directly to the last page.

edit: The Croft Manor DLC for Shadow of the Tomb Raider is very similar in that it's purely about exploring a big house, finding artifacts, and uncovering story info with no combat or raiding of tombs. It's not a brilliant story or anything, but the process of going through it was rewarding to me v:shobon:v

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Volte posted:

It's a story, not a game. That's like speedrunning a book by turning directly to the last page.
Well yeah, but when I didn't care for the story there's not much left for me other than to be amused by silly gifs. That's all.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah I guess that's fair. I guess I meant if you like the kind of 'game' that Gone Home is, then Firewatch is the same kind of game. More accurate to say if you hated the kind of game Gone Home is, then you'll definitely hate Firewatch. The stories aren't that similar, but I liked em both well enough.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Celeste is a game that I think is really good to the point I told a couple friends "yo you need to play this it's awesome" but I still think it's weird how pushed it is at stuff like the game awards. Like its good but it being up there feels more like they needed a indie to toss up and just kinda grabbed it.

Still a good game though and I think if you like tough platformers its a no brainer.

It's just a really excellent game in terms of gameplay, presentation, music, themes, level design, etc. It's great. Indie status aside I think it's good for the industry to recognize that games can be great even if they aren't AAA 40 hour story games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I feel like anyone who enjoys video game stories has never read a book. Like RDR2? Larry McMurtry will blow your loving mind.

E: And you don't have to waste your life combing a fake horse, or whatever poo poo excuse for gameplay they cram in there, to experience the story.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 1, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Celeste is fantastic.

Also it's worth noting at every opportunity that it has the best cheat menu ever. You can cheat basically as much or as little as you want (toggles for infinite in-air "double" jumps, infinite wall grip, invincibility meaning you bounce at the bottom of the screen in holes that would otherwise kill your and getting hit by spikes doesn't register) and the game doesn't punish you for it! No blocked saves, no big "YOU'RE A BIG rear end in a top hat CHEATER" watermark plastered on the screen, nothing. Every game, literally every game, should have this exact kind of cheat menu included.

So yeah. Celeste can be very challenging but you can make it as easy as you want with no downsides. Get it!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 1, 2018

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Celeste is fantastic. It might be the purest "platformer" I've ever played.

Also it's worth noting at every opportunity that it has the best cheat menu ever. You can cheat basically as much or as little as you want (toggles for infinite in-air "double" jumps, infinite wall grip, invincibility meaning you bounce at the bottom of the screen in holes that would otherwise kill your and getting hit by spikes doesn't register) and the game doesn't punish you for it! No blocked saves, no big "YOU'RE A BIG rear end in a top hat CHEATER" watermark plastered on the screen, nothing.

So yeah. Celeste can be very challenging but you can make it as easy as you want with no downsides. Get it!

I'm almost done with the main story I think and I'm impressed at how with such a simple moveset it keeps things fresh consistently. From trailers I thought like "pursuit by evil double" would be a major recurring threat but it's just part of one level.

My major complaint so far is that I wish the chapters were broken up a bit into separate stages because they're fairly long if you go digging for all the strawberries, which is fine at first but makes me not want to go back and look for the ones I missed.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How easy is it to replace a screen protector for the switch? One of my cats jumped on me mid game and dragged their claws over it. Did its job but it needs to be replaced now

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ColdPie posted:

I feel like anyone who enjoys video game stories has never read a book. Like RDR2? Larry McMurtry will blow your loving mind.

E: And you don't have to waste your life combing a fake horse, or whatever poo poo excuse for gameplay they cram in there, to experience the story.

For real. The best video game story is a mediocre pulp fiction at best. A 'great story' is never a selling point for a game imo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
LEGO Worlds is on sale on the eShop for $14.99. I remember there being a lot of complaints about it at launch but my kid rented it a few months ago and loved it for the days he had it. Can anyone comment on what it's like now? I've read they're still putting out free DLC for it.

Edit: nope. Nintypricer is out of date.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 1, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

How easy is it to replace a screen protector for the switch? One of my cats jumped on me mid game and dragged their claws over it. Did its job but it needs to be replaced now

Pretty easy. Just use a bit of Scotch tape to pull the protector off.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spiffster posted:

As easy as any device?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

As easy as any device?

Never had to do it before but I’ve always put one on as a precaution. Always wear protection kids.

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty easy. Just use a bit of Scotch tape to pull the protector off.

Thanks for actual advice

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sloppy posted:

For real. The best video game story is a mediocre pulp fiction at best. A 'great story' is never a selling point for a game imo.

This is a pretty simplistic way to look at it. Interactivity allows you to do stuff that isn't possible in other forms of media.

Just being to the one who controls a character gets a ton of people more invested in a story than they would otherwise be (even if the plot is completely linear). Games also have the advantage of having more time for small character moments since they can be inserted into the gameplay whenever.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 1, 2018

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Personally when I used to say I liked say, FFVI and Chrono Trigger for the story, I actually liked the whole experience of moving through the game including the soundtrack, world and art design, incidental dialogue, etc. The main plot is just part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We’re probably gonna be getting Metroid Prime 4 stuff at the video game awards in five days hosted by the Doritos Man and that’s pretty cool