Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Alder posted:

Is there a <$200 tablet in the 8" size that's not a Kindle Fire? I used to be able to sideload the play store but now that's a pipe dream due to reasons (I've tried all the solutions). I never realized how much I missed it until I couldn't install more than half my apps due to lack of support.

Currently the only way I can sideload apps on my Kindle Fire is via adb. It requires enabling developer options on the Kindle, and installing the Android development kit. To be fair, I haven't tried since the latest FireOS update, but it was still working as of the previous update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Alder posted:

Is there a <$200 tablet in the 8" size that's not a Kindle Fire? I used to be able to sideload the play store but now that's a pipe dream due to reasons (I've tried all the solutions). I never realized how much I missed it until I couldn't install more than half my apps due to lack of support.

The Huawei Mediapad M5 is like $300 and is the first actually good reasonably priced 8" Android tablet in ages and ages. Easily the first time it's worth buying a non-iPad tablet in years. It has a quick 8-core Kirin 960, 2560x1600 quality LCD, a huge battery, and USB-C fast charging. It feels shockingly good in your hand too, unlike a cheap plastic garbage Kindle Fire. No headphone jack, but it doesn't kill the thing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Huawei Mediapad M5 is like $300 and is the first actually good reasonably priced 8" Android tablet in ages and ages. Easily the first time it's worth buying a non-iPad tablet in years. It has a quick 8-core Kirin 960, 2560x1600 quality LCD, a huge battery, and USB-C fast charging. It feels shockingly good in your hand too, unlike a cheap plastic garbage Kindle Fire. No headphone jack, but it doesn't kill the thing.

Yeah, that's a good tablet. I've been using a Nexus 7 (2013) since… 2014 or 2015? It needs replacing, but there was never anything at least as good in the same size and price range.

Until this came out.

I was going to buy one, but Amazon says they're out of stock, and they have no idea when or if they'll get more.

I did put it on my Christmas list, so maybe I'll get it that way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

The best you can do hardware wise for that money though is probably by a used Galaxy Tab S2. It has a better processor and a higher resolution AMOLED screen.

They come across as fragile on the surface, but they're loving tanks, too. Got my wife one when they were new for Christmas. Middle kid dropped it face down on the garage floor and murdered the screen 3 weeks into January. Popped a new screen on it and the abuse it's taken, including a full dunking in the bathtub would make any device cry for mercy, but it's still chugging along like a champ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's the last (higher end) Samsung Tab to have a plastic back to, so it pops off pretty easily for battery replacement.

I have a MediaPad M5 now (Newegg appears to still have them in stock), but I kinda wish I never returned the Tab S2 I had. I returned it because, at the time I was able to get a decent deal on the Tab S3. But I've never been happy with the S3.

I like the M5, but I feel it could be a touch lighter and smaller. I also wish Hulu worked properly on it. Other than that, I don't have any real complaints. It lasts long on battery (does really good in idle drain), changes fast, and performs well (outside of Hulu.)

In still would love a SD710 7" or 8" 16:9 ChromeOS tablet though with a 1440 screen. I would snap that up in a second.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alder posted:

Wait how do you get locked out of installing Play Store? Is Amazon killing it with OTA updates or something?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Tab s2 also has pie via lineageos

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Samsung S2 Tab is a fine tablet, I'm sure, but the Kirin 960 in the Huawei Mediapad M5 has like more than double the performance of the 2 year old Snapdragon 652 in the S2 Tab, so there's not much point unless $300 breaks the bank for ya.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah I upgraded from a tab s2 to the media pad m5 (10.8 inch model though) and my main complaints are that it's heavier than I expected and it hates to play anything higher than 1080 (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu,.twitch) which is a bit ridiculous in 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Tab s2 also has pie via lineageos

My Tab S 8.4 is still useable because of LineageOS.

Also doesn't the MediaPad still have issues when using WiFi and BT at the same time? Quite the kick in the dick without a headphone jack.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Moey posted:

My Tab S 8.4 is still useable because of LineageOS.

Also doesn't the MediaPad still have issues when using WiFi and BT at the same time? Quite the kick in the dick without a headphone jack.

I have no use for BT or headphones on my tablet, so that's a non-issue for me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I bought a Fire HD 10 on a spur of the moment due to a black friday discount. The amazon app store is even worse than I expected. I found four apps I wanted; Instagram, BBC Iplayer, Netflix and Adobe Acrobat Reader (normally I wouldn't touch that, but as far as I can tell, the default kindle pdf reader won't be 'fit to screen' only 'fix to width'...) I haven't yet had the courage to download the play store from apkmirror, so I've taken to using adb to copy the apks I want off my phone and sideloading those. So far that seems to have worked without issue...

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I haven't yet had the courage to download the play store from apkmirror, so I've taken to using adb to copy the apks I want off my phone and sideloading those. So far that seems to have worked without issue...
Can you not grab the app store apk from your phone the same way?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

minusX posted:

Can you not grab the app store apk from your phone the same way?

You've got to add more than just the play store's apk to get it working. It's not difficult, but there's more to it than that. Of course, if he's got adb working, there isn't much more that needs done.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
You need four APKs for Play Store on the Kindle. You need:

-Google Account Manager
-Google Services Framework
-Google Play Services
-Google Play Store app

If you enable developer settings, put these APKs on your Kindle, AND install them in that exact, specific order, you can get the Play Store without even touching adb. I have successfully done this for friends and family across a wide range of Kindle tablets.

The only jank is that Google Play will mistakenly try to auto-update your Kindle apps to ones designed for non-Kindle devices. It isn't dangerous, the update will fail, but it takes a long rear end time for the "install" to get to that point. Best practice is just to set updates to manual or blacklist the Amazon Apps from being updated. You can still update them from the Amazon App Store just fine as OTA ones come out

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The issue is versions. My phone is on Android 8 and I understand it to be running recent version of the services that aren't backwards compatible with the Android 5 variant that is the Fire OS 5.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yea most Amazon devices are stuck on Fire OS 5 revisions, which have equivalent compatibility to Android 5.1.1, which is from early 2015. The very latest devices are receiving Fire OS 6 which is based on Android 7.1 from late 2016. 5.x is now old enough that a ton of things are willing to drop support, and the marketshare is otherwise shrinking quick so new apps don't bother.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Yea most Amazon devices are stuck on Fire OS 5 revisions, which have equivalent compatibility to Android 5.1.1, which is from early 2015. The very latest devices are receiving Fire OS 6 which is based on Android 7.1 from late 2016. 5.x is now old enough that a ton of things are willing to drop support, and the marketshare is otherwise shrinking quick so new apps don't bother.

That's...depressing

Is Amazon doing this on purpose to force you onto the Amazon apps?

Here's the rate at which FireOS is being updated:

FireOS 1 (Gingerbread) - November 2011
(skipped: Honeycomb)
FireOS 2 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - September 2012
FireOS 3 (Jelly Bean) - September 2013
FireOS 4 (KitKat) - September 2014
FireOS 5 (Lollipop) - September 2015
(skipped: Marshmallow)
FireOS 6 (Nougat) - September 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, there just hasn't been as pressing a reason to come off Lollipop as there were the previous versions. Early Android was more janky.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I did some digging and apparently the Fire 7 and last-gen Fire HD 8 don't have hardware support for 64-bit apps, so they can't get upgraded to FireOS 6 (Nougat) since that runs 64-bit apps

Hopefully new Fire 7's launch next fall with upgraded hardware

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Anyone try out the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4? Specs look impressive for the price, but I don't think it was released in the US. Doesn't look too hard to get one in from China though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Wait how do you get locked out of installing Play Store? Is Amazon killing it with OTA updates or something?

I'm not sure but none of the guides worked on my kindle fire 5th gen and it's stuck on checking info page. I heard google is blocking non-andriod tablets from the play store.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Two questions about my Nexus 7 (2013):

1) Is there any way to get rid of the ugly blob emjoi that doesn't require root/a custom ROM?

2) Is there any way to get the Google Weather Widget on a tablet that doesn't require root/a custom ROM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

1) Is there any way to get rid of the ugly blob emjoi that doesn't require root/a custom ROM?

Reported for ban. And no.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm guessing the answer is going to be "no", but are there any Android tablets with the kickstand and snap on keyboard similar to the MS Surface devices?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Tab S3/S4 with the keyboard cover?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

I'm guessing the answer is going to be "no", but are there any Android tablets with the kickstand and snap on keyboard similar to the MS Surface devices?

The Galaxy Tab S4 is similar.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For the S3/S4, the prop is part of the cover though. Sounds like the ask is for the tablet to have a kickstand of its own so it can stand without the keyboard attached.

I don't know of any such device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Pixel Slate?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A used Pixel C is also an option. Out of updates but still a beautiful well-built tablet with fantastic performance.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Does anyone have an opinion on the hp chromebook x2? I'm looking for a large-ish tablet for RPG pdfs and while the ipad pro 12.9 is the perfect size for what I want but I really don't want to drop over a grand for something to just read PDFs at the table and on the couch.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

arisu posted:

Anyone try out the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4? Specs look impressive for the price, but I don't think it was released in the US. Doesn't look too hard to get one in from China though.

I'm curious about this too. I want a new android tablet (currently using a model 1 ipad mini that can't even load heavy websites anymore) to play games and read stuff. This thing was supposed to be great but it's not mentioned in any of the recommended tablet lists I've just read so I'm a little wary.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Amazon has the Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" on sale for $279.99.

I just ordered mine. Any recommended cases for this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My MediaPad arrived today. Man, it is so fast. Things look and sound great, too!

Finally, a worth successor to my Nexus 7 (2013).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kheldarn posted:

My MediaPad arrived today. Man, it is so fast. Things look and sound great, too!

How's the OS on there? I need to find something to replace my Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

LineageOS gave it some new life but I think it's time for an upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only thing I don't like about my Mediapad M5 is that Hulu can't maintain framerate in app. Streaming in the browser works fine though.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Well, my replacement SHIELD tablet is giving up- the battery decided to get fat for its new year resolution. What's the new hotness?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Moey posted:

How's the OS on there? I need to find something to replace my Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

LineageOS gave it some new life but I think it's time for an upgrade.

It's Huawei's EMUI version of Android 8. It's my first time using any version of Android beyond 6.0.1, so it seems fine to me.

I like that instead of a static wallpaper for the lock screen, it has something called Magazine Unlock. It comes with 20 pictures in both portrait and landscape mode, and every time you power on the screen, it shows a different one. It's not random, though. And you can add your own images into the rotation, though if they're not made for landscape, they don't rotate well.

The sound is great, as are graphics. I don't consume media like YouTube/Netflix/Hulu on anything other than my desktop, but the games I play look and sound better than they did on my N7.

Huawei's QuickCharge works fine for me, though it's been reported that if you have a QC wall plug with multiple USB slots, when you plug in the tablet, it ups everything 19 watts (9.15v 2 amp), so that can harm non-QC devices plugged into the other slot(s).

At launch, you could unlock the bootloader, but Huawei decided to remove that option. The only info I've found for rooting on XDA requires you to actually purchase the only program that can root it.

Also, for some reason, Huawei decided to not allow you to move apps to the SD card.

Overall, I'm still happy with it. I charged it to 100% last night, unplugged it at midnight, and when I got up at 9 AM this morning, it's still sitting at 100%. My N7, by comparison, would have been at ~50%-60%.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

8one6 posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the hp chromebook x2? I'm looking for a large-ish tablet for RPG pdfs and while the ipad pro 12.9 is the perfect size for what I want but I really don't want to drop over a grand for something to just read PDFs at the table and on the couch.

I know this was posted a couple weeks ago, so my response might not help, but I bought an HP Chromebook X2 in early December and am a pretty big fan so far.

It's a little large for me when in tablet mode, but I'm really only using it that way on the couch. I've taken it on a few flights and it's a great size for media/movie consumption that way.

I mostly read comics on it and watch youtube or videos, but the keyboard is almost full size and it is easy to type on. Because of android apps, I can write/update web code and VPN into my work stuff so I don't really need to bring my work laptop on trips.

The only thing I really didn't like was how bright white/silver the back of the tablet was. I bought a black skin for a 15 inch laptop on amazon and used an x-acto knife and fixed that problem up really quickly. Now it looks like any other tiny black laptop/tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Kheldarn posted:

So which one did you get? the 8" or the 10"? (or even the 10 pro).

I am also considering a replacement for my TabS 8.4 which while it still runs needs a factory default before being "promoted" to being the kids tablet.