Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Get a cat. Teach it to expect to be fed first thing in the morning. You will never oversleep again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjV7TUSIHs&t=334s

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

docbeard posted:

Get a cat. Teach it to expect to be fed first thing in the morning. You will never oversleep again.

When my dad worked the night shift and was really difficult to wake up our cat started pushing potted plants off tables to get him up

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Put the alarm farther away so you can't snooze

I tried that. I'll seriously sleepwalk my rear end over to it to snooze it.

The best thing was ultimately an app that refuses to turn off until you solve math problems. Though that even had its limits. Apparently I started just burying my phone in anything handy until I couldn't hear it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Peeve: Blatant price-fixing on products I'm considering buying. (Sony WH-1000XM3, for anyone curious. )

I've been considering picking up a pair of Sony noise-cancelling headphones for work, since my office can be pretty noisy at times.
They came out with a new version this summer of the headphones, and they've been getting great reviews.

However, the 9 stores that sell it for the cheapest, sell it for the exact same price. Which basically never happens. And to top it off, the price has been the exact same since the end of August.
(Usually you'll have some of them undercutting each other by a bit, to get the top spot on comparison sites etc. )

Meanwhile, for a competitor's product, the graph looks a lot more natural, with the lowest price only being static for 2-3 weeks at the most, and even then only at 1-2 stores. Not 9 of them.

I'll probably just go for the previous generation headphones that are like 60% of the price. But it's still super annoying to see something have an artificially inflated/flatlined price like this.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Andrast posted:

Put the alarm farther away so you can't snooze

This is what I've done all my life. My alarm is on my dresser so I have to physically get out of bed to walk across the room and shut it off. If it was next to my bed, I'd shut it off and go back to sleep and end up rolling into work at 10:30 or something.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SubNat posted:

Peeve: Blatant price-fixing on products I'm considering buying. (Sony WH-1000XM3, for anyone curious. )
This happens a lot with Japanese products--I'm thinking Sony and Nintendo in particular. When the Game Boy came out, it was US$89.99, period. You literally could not get it any cheaper. I'm not even sure it ever went on sale! I know Nintendo had to pay massive fines for a price-fixing debacle in Europe once upon a time, but somehow this was not related.

Nowadays I wait for a store coupon ("20% off anything in the store!" etc.) to get pricier Nintendo stuff; you may want to do the same for your headphones.

eta: I realized this is still true for just about everything currently sold in Japan. On one hand, it stifles competition among retailers; on the other hand, no need to go crazy visiting every single store in hopes of finding one where your product is cheaper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm super not trying to endlessly complain about my wife, she's just the majority of my daily interpersonal interactions (that I can't or won't avoid) so I get a lot of examples.

She'll ask me things I don't know the answer to or have a response to, like my advice on a difficult professional problem or a financial thing I have no info on. But she'll also not ask me things I know, like looking around the room until I say "what are you looking for?" When she tells me, I can answer her right. It's just such an odd thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hate it when comedy shows start leaning too hard on drama. Bojack for example, the latest season was super loving weak because it became "rich people are sad and sometimes theres a joke". The episode where he roasted his mom at her funeral owned though.

Similarly I'm finally getting around to watching The Office and holy gently caress I hate every second of pam and jim's will they/wont they oh god you two suck rear end just get together and stop pulling the drag chute on this show.

Unrelated The Office peeve holy moley it aged bad and I almost stopped watching after the "Michael and Dwight are weird about gay people then they out and sexually assault a gay man" episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Office was unbearable from the beginning. I remember they had a Call of Duty product placement episode and I couldn't watch it anymore.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It can be done well, but usually isn't. Like in Parks & Recreation, when they really started leaning in to the April/Andy and Leslie/Ben stories it just became kind of unbearable. We get it, they gently caress, do funny things again.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Calculus might not be automatically useful depending on what you're doing but studying proofs, number theory, and discrete math is immensely helpful. Understanding stuff like graph theory and set theory is handy. Granted that depends on what you're doing; basic boolean logic is fine if all you're doing is a CRUD application. Even so I get why CS degrees require math. The more math you know the better pretty much no matter what you're doing. I've used linear algebra and number theory on the job.

I get why they require math, but I don't get 1) why they require such advanced math, and 2) why the "math concepts in computing" requirement wasn't enough. Whatever, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, especially since it all worked out anyway.

Danaru posted:

Similarly I'm finally getting around to watching The Office and holy gently caress I hate every second of pam and jim's will they/wont they oh god you two suck rear end just get together and stop pulling the drag chute on this show.

Jim & Pam might be my least favorite television couple of all time, which is weird because The Office also features my MOST favorite television couple of all time (Michael & Holly). It's not that I like Roy or anything, but I can't exactly blame him for losing his poo poo about his then-fiancée openly flirting with her coworker all the time & kissing him. Roy might not have been the perfect boyfriend, but he didn't deserve that. If I'd been writing for The Office, Roy would have worked on his issues & married Pam, Jim would have stayed with Katy, then Katy would have realized that he was using her as a Pam substitute & dumped his stupid rear end.

quote:

Unrelated The Office peeve holy moley it aged bad and I almost stopped watching after the "Michael and Dwight are weird about gay people then they out and sexually assault a gay man" episode.

Which episode was that?

I was watching the other day and saw an episode in which Dwight shot a tranquilizer dart at Stanley or some poo poo, and it was so appallingly unfunny I couldn't believe it.

edit:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It can be done well, but usually isn't. Like in Parks & Recreation, when they really started leaning in to the April/Andy and Leslie/Ben stories it just became kind of unbearable. We get it, they gently caress, do funny things again.

All of the relationships on Parks & Rec were too perfect. I don't require drama, I just require...something. April & Andy got together, and they were immediately & consistently perfect together. Same with Ron & Diane, same with Ben & Leslie. At least the Tammies stirred poo poo up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

All of the relationships on Parks & Rec were too perfect. I don't require drama, I just require...something. April & Andy got together, and they were immediately & consistently perfect together. Same with Ron & Diane, same with Ben & Leslie. At least the Tammies stirred poo poo up.

Yeah I agree 100%. The only sort-of conflict was April getting pissed at Andy saying "awesomesauce" instead of i love you, which to be fair is a legitimate thing to be pissed at a real person for saying out loud unironically, but it was still a super lame manufactured fight. There is never any conflict that has any real substance to it where I thought "yeah that would be a dealbreaker".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

YeahTubaMike posted:

Which episode was that?

The first episode of season three, I figured it would be rough when it was titled "Gay Witch Hunt" :whitewater: and the cold open is Michael defending using the word "faggy" to describe bad stuff. Near the end of the episode Michael and Dwight both force Oscar to kiss them to prove how okay they are with gay people which holy gently caress I hate this show

Another peeve, Parks and Rec isnt on netflix and I adore that show, which is why I'm trying so hard to get into The Office

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pam and Jim ruined The Office. Especially Jim. He’s a huge rear end in a top hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danaru posted:

The first episode of season three, I figured it would be rough when it was titled "Gay Witch Hunt" :whitewater: and the cold open is Michael defending using the word "faggy" to describe bad stuff. Near the end of the episode Michael and Dwight both force Oscar to kiss them to prove how okay they are with gay people which holy gently caress I hate this show

Another peeve, Parks and Rec isnt on netflix and I adore that show, which is why I'm trying so hard to get into The Office

It’s supposed to be bad, and Michael is supposed to be the bad guy there. When Oscar comes back everyone pretty much accepts him no problem except for Angela who is super religious and a piece of poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What the gently caress is Apple doing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/story/id1435277430

quote:

Get the Full Experience This story can only be viewed on the App Store in iOS 11 or later on your iPhone or iPad.

The only way to read this editorial about a featured game is on an iOS device. gently caress hugh!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are a lot of 90s/00s comedies that in 2018 seem really tone deaf when it comes to gay jokes but seemed totally fine at the time. I don’t know that the Office is one though. Like with Oscar being gay you were clearly supposed to think Michael and Dwight were idiots. Compare it to like half the jokes in Arrested Development being “heh, gays exist”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are a lot of 90s/00s comedies that in 2018 seem really tone deaf when it comes to gay jokes but seemed totally fine at the time. I don’t know that the Office is one though. Like with Oscar being gay you were clearly supposed to think Michael and Dwight were idiots. Compare it to like half the jokes in Arrested Development being “heh, gays exist”

It's weird that the only Jim Carrey movie that I can think of that has the fewest sex jokes that became cringy as hell in retrospect was the Mask - the movie specifically points out his cartoon romance as skeevy and terrible behaviour, the Mask is almost always in the wrong in any situation involving Tina except for the dance/first kiss with her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The fact that cold foods and drinks are basically always sweet. If it's a hot day and you want to eat or drink something cool, it's almost certainly going to be full of sugar. If you want savoury it's going to be either hot or room temperature.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know Michael and Dwight are supposed to be the bad guys, and maybe its just because I've been on the receiving end of that same "nothing wrong with that's haha in fact I'm so okay with gay people I wish I was gay too haha so how do gays have sex" pile of :chloe: before, but that episode specifically hit the resonance frequency of my soul when the show was already grating on the slack I've been cutting it.

Jim making Dwight think Gaydar was a physical tool was hilarious though, why cant Jim be like that more often and less confessing his love to a woman planning her marriage-ey

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

The fact that cold foods and drinks are basically always sweet. If it's a hot day and you want to eat or drink something cool, it's almost certainly going to be full of sugar. If you want savoury it's going to be either hot or room temperature.

The gently caress kind of ice water are you drinking that's sweet?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eat a sandwich or salad

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Low sodium tomato juice is the best hot day beverage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

The gently caress kind of ice water are you drinking that's sweet?
Water is clearly not in the same category as things like tea, coffee, juice, softdrink, etc. You don't sit down with a glass of water like you would any flavoured drink.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eat a sandwich or salad
Those aren't cold though. :confused:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tiggum posted:

Those aren't cold though. :confused:

Alright a sandwich I get they can be toasted, but what kind of salad are you eating that's hot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everything on the sandwiches and salads I often eat for lunch is straight from the fridge, except bread??

Also, more countries need iced tea. Contrary to what the south might believe, it can be enjoyed without turning it into a simple syrup. Just squeeze some lemon in that fucker.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tiggum posted:

Water is clearly not in the same category as things like tea, coffee, juice, softdrink, etc. You don't sit down with a glass of water like you would any flavoured drink.

You definitely can. I used to drink soft drinks all the time. Now I put a flat of water in a fridge and when I want a nice ice cold drink but no sugar I grab a bottle. I only order water at restaurants as well, did wonders for my health.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

Alright a sandwich I get they can be toasted, but what kind of salad are you eating that's hot
There's a whole continuum between hot and cold and both sandwiches and salads fall somewhere in the middle. By the time you prepare all the ingredients they're pretty close to room temperature.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

why in the world don't you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

someone awful. posted:

why in the world don't you?

Because water doesn't taste like much of anything. It's nice to drink when you're thirsty, but what would you get out of slowly sipping it? You may as well have an empty glass.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

There's a whole continuum between hot and cold and both sandwiches and salads fall somewhere in the middle. By the time you prepare all the ingredients they're pretty close to room temperature.

I kinda get what you’re saying. Food basically needs to be frozen to be cold enough to be refreshing, which mostly means ice cream equivalents.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

Because water doesn't taste like much of anything. It's nice to drink when you're thirsty, but what would you get out of slowly sipping it? You may as well have an empty glass.

Man, you'd bitch if they hung you with a new rope, huh?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What I'd give for water that doesn't taste like ammonia.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

is there anything in the world you actually enjoy, dude

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

someone awful. posted:

is there anything in the world you actually enjoy, dude

Tons and tons of things. Strangely enough, I don't tend to post about them in the pet peeves thread.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I had to get a pinterest because some interior designers I work with have collections there.

Peeve:
OH HEY. HOW NICE OF YOU TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT.
Now, of course you made an account here to browse our site, so we demand that you set up interests so that we can server you content.

'Can't I skip this, I'm only going to use this to browse things my colleagues have set up.

NO. SET UP YOUR INTERESTS.

Doubly so when you can just remove them again later, though some sites like tumblr force content you don't care about down your throat unless you take steps to block them all.

(Secondary peeve, how pinterest has more or less destroyed the relevancy of results on google's image search, because the results are pinned posts on pinterest instead of the source. :arghfist: )

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I will never make a pinterest account, solely out of spite for what they did to google image search. gently caress them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whenever I get an Android update on my phone it seems to turn back on all the notifications and location services that I turn off. I know Google is an ad company but I never want loving notifications unless it's a text message or email and I don't want you constantly checking where I am and suggesting I try out a new cafe in the area. gently caress you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Mine never turns any of that back on but I have an LG v30 (and before that a v20) so I don't know how the big boys do it. Of course, I've still got a headphone jack and the same screen as the big players, without any third-party skin overlays, so :smug: