Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/aral/status/1068626899964968960?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Waltzing Along posted:

Or the FBI agent got in on monero early and is hoping to cash in.

CARL

MARK

FORCE

V

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Alan Smithee posted:

CARL

MARK

FORCE

V

How is this not a movie yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It's basically a more boring version of To Live and Die in LA

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Stat for the thread: bitcoin tops out at 7 transactions/second, right? Barclays UK payment acceptance peaked at 1087/second on black Friday and that's just a single country, not worldwide like bitcoin.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

With all those fake hit jobs and general criminal incompetence, I'm thinking of it being characters who think they're in spy game but at like they're in snatch

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

Stat for the thread: bitcoin tops out at 7 transactions/second, right? Barclays UK payment acceptance peaked at 1087/second on black Friday and that's just a single country, not worldwide like bitcoin.
For a global perspective: The numbers on Visa's website are inconsistent due to them being taken at different times, but the latest I've found (in this brochure) claims a capacity of "65,000+ transaction messages per second" for their card processing network as of August 2017. Which is kind of a hard act to follow...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I think bitcoin practically is able to process 4/sec right now, the theoretical maximum is 7/s, and this throughput is not enough to sustain a single sports stadium at peak time even if you did ignore the huge transaction latency.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember transactions are processed when blocks are found and published around every 10 minutes, so the average makes it sound better than it actually is, because it's not a continuous 4-7 tx/second, it's ~4000 max theoretical transactions roughly every ten minutes after which nothing happens while a lot of purpose built hardware around the world wastes a ton of electricity doing simple math tricks. "I want to buy this!" you say in theoretical bitcoinland, "great! wait here because a block was just published so it'll be at least another 9 minutes before your purchase is confirmed," says the clerk and then you sit in down in despair because you're living in bitcoinland.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

For a global perspective: The numbers on Visa's website are inconsistent due to them being taken at different times, but the latest I've found (in this brochure) claims a capacity of "65,000+ transaction messages per second" for their card processing network as of August 2017. Which is kind of a hard act to follow...

So what, we just need 10000× more GPUs.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

kw0134 posted:

Remember transactions are processed when blocks are found and published around every 10 minutes, so the average makes it sound better than it actually is, because it's not a continuous 4-7 tx/second, it's ~4000 max theoretical transactions roughly every ten minutes after which nothing happens while a lot of purpose built hardware around the world wastes a ton of electricity doing simple math tricks. "I want to buy this!" you say in theoretical bitcoinland, "great! wait here because a block was just published so it'll be at least another 9 minutes before your purchase is confirmed," says the clerk and then you sit in down in despair because you're living in bitcoinland.

It's like someone took the "Frame-Rule" phenomenon in Super Mario Brothers speed-running and said, "let's base a currency on this!"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

right now on ebay

people are still paying way too much for these and it's cramping my gpu upgrade plans

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

right now on ebay

people are still paying way too much for these and it's cramping my gpu upgrade plans

Lmao people are paying big bucks for the equivalent of a used car run at redline for several months.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
2002 WRX never raced all highway miles

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if there's one thing we can infer about the seller, it's that he doesn't use that treadmill

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that walmart bag makes me surprised he doesn't just return scam them

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

steinrokkan posted:

So what, we just need 10000× more GPUs.

Nah, the good thing about bitcoin is that even with a billion times more processing power you'd still get less than 7 transactions per second. The old reliable.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

feelix posted:

2002 WRX never raced all highway miles

2004 GSXR been laid down once in the drive way, that's why it has all new plastics, bent clutch lever and rear brake, never raced. Won't start for some reason, maybe needs new gas and battery $8000 obo, no lowballers.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Look, it's very simple. If you want to increase the transactions per second all you need is more blockchains

Every point-of-sale on the planet just needs their own Itchy & Scratchy blockchain

This is the future of investing finance math currency

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sentient Data posted:

With all those fake hit jobs and general criminal incompetence, I'm thinking of it being characters who think they're in spy game but at like they're in snatch

that movie already happened it was called Burn After Writing

also the coen brothers were writing the script for a movie about silk road, but that may have been cancelled or something because they're doing cowboy tv shows now

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Don't worry the lightning ⚡network ⚡ will fix that!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
isn't transactions/sec determined by the mining power of the network so now that everyone is junking their rigs, transaction speed will be drastically reduced

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
In a way. There's a 'set' number of transactions per block. And the time between blocks adjusts to be consistent as mining power fluctuates.

So, what you're describing is part of "frisbee on the roof". But even if mining power drastically increased, the transactions/second would only briefly change, and not by much.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

this reminds me of the new worse host for Extra Credits having an episode about bideogames using the block chain for something and their stupid example was some vendor trash in MMOs or something.

Ah yes i want to have my inventory slowdown loading a petabyte sized item description.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

right now on ebay

I got a 2070 at msrp yesterday. But yea all the 1080s are sold out everywhere.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So now seems like a good time to buy in low right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

So now seems like a good time to buy in low right?

Yes friend.

It’s always a good time to buy.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

isn't transactions/sec determined by the mining power of the network so now that everyone is junking their rigs, transaction speed will be drastically reduced

Yes and no. With everybody scrapping their mining equipment, the network will be slower until the next difficulty adjustment. They happen roughly every two weeks (they are based on the number of blocks, so slower mining = longer time until the next adjustment).

This doesn't really mean anything, though. And there is no realistic "frisbee on the roof." If half of the miners decide to leave during the same two-week period, it just means blocks will take 20 minutes instead, and transaction "speed" goes down to 2/sec (theoretically up to 3.5/sec). After up to 4 weeks, there will be an adjustment and speed will go (almost) back to normal. The almost part comes from the protocol having a maximum difficulty adjustment built in.

Of course, if there's congestion, that means more delay like in December last year, but all transactions happen on exchanges now so eh.

tl'dr, Bitcoin will always such at around the same speed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Speleothing posted:

In a way. There's a 'set' number of transactions per block. And the time between blocks adjusts to be consistent as mining power fluctuates.

So, what you're describing is part of "frisbee on the roof". But even if mining power drastically increased, the transactions/second would only briefly change, and not by much.

not quite

at the end of every adjustment period, (I want to say its like every 2016 blocks) the network looks at how long it took to process and tries to push it to being every 10 minutes

this adjustment is not fixed and is based roughly on the actual amount of power added or removed from the network at the time, however this adjustment is capped

you will be forever chasing a specific average # of transactions per second, but if mining power drops, until the difficulty finally stabilizes (which can take more than multiple difficulty adjusments) you will be seeing lower transactions per second over the entirety of that adjustment period (which if difficulty is properly matching computation power should be 2 weeks)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Isn’t there a way to take my vanguard 401k and make it a self directed 401k and then I can put it into BTC? Thinking of putting 60-75% of my 401k into BTC to ride it back up to 20k and then I’ll cash out and put it back into Vanguard.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

klafbang posted:

Yes and no. With everybody scrapping their mining equipment, the network will be slower until the next difficulty adjustment. They happen roughly every two weeks (they are based on the number of blocks, so slower mining = longer time until the next adjustment).

This doesn't really mean anything, though. And there is no realistic "frisbee on the roof." If half of the miners decide to leave during the same two-week period, it just means blocks will take 20 minutes instead, and transaction "speed" goes down to 2/sec (theoretically up to 3.5/sec). After up to 4 weeks, there will be an adjustment and speed will go (almost) back to normal. The almost part comes from the protocol having a maximum difficulty adjustment built in.

Of course, if there's congestion, that means more delay like in December last year, but all transactions happen on exchanges now so eh.

tl'dr, Bitcoin will always such at around the same speed.

The issue is the difficulty only can adjust so much, so if too many leave then it can take several adjustments to get back on par of 10 minutes per block which realistically could be several months and during it all more miners drop out increasing the time and so on.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Isn’t there a way to take my vanguard 401k and make it a self directed 401k and then I can put it into BTC? Thinking of putting 60-75% of my 401k into BTC to ride it back up to 20k and then I’ll cash out and put it back into Vanguard.

Vanguard customer service agents are very knowledgable and helpful. Definitely call them and ask them about this scenario. Better yet, could you record the conversation and post it here in the thread?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Don't invest 60-75%. Only 50% should go into bitcoin. The rest you want to put into riskier (and higher-yielding) shitcoins.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The issue is the difficulty only can adjust so much, so if too many leave then it can take several adjustments to get back on par of 10 minutes per block which realistically could be several months and during it all more miners drop out increasing the time and so on.

That factor is 4. Current numbers for mining profitability for bitcoin is ~$4k. If > 75% dropped out, that would decrease to $1k after one adjustment happening at most 8 weeks in the future. I don't think it's very realistic to see that much mining power leave.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Speleothing posted:

The hashing rate is divorced entirely from the actual difficulty of recording the transactions; it's been estimated the real work of "address 12135valjer143 sent 1 butt to address 28435vwq5el2lol" could be carried out at the theoretical rate by a NES. It's essentially writing a text file, albeit in a cryptographically secure way, but it's nothing complicated here. The kicker of course is that there's basically a random number guess being carried out for the "right" to publish the next set of transactions. So let's try to buy something in bitcoinland. Instead of a central entity mediating transactions (boo! hiss!) all the stores in the land offload the work of doing point-of-sale checkout to a bunch of freelance cashiers. You mosey up to one, tell him that you need to pay Satoshi Foods this much. He nods, gathers up a bunch of other requests and gets into a race with other cashiers to figure out which number lets him write out the receipt so you can leave the store. The cashiers then hunker down and start furiously scribbling numbers on a scratch pad; you see piles of discarded paper towering above you. After roughly ten minutes of work, he shouts out "756,065,179!" Balloons rain down from the ceiling to commemorate the discovery of another receipt block and he is paid $51,000 for this. You get a slip of paper torn off a corner of his scratch pad and pushed out the door with the can of Soylent you purchased.

Difficulty would be telling the cashiers when the next time they want to process this transaction whether they need to find a nine digit number, or a six digit number or, if there are LOTS of cashiers, with fancy pens and large sheets of paper, twelve and fifteen digit numbers that need to be guessed. That's all the hashwork does. also something something something securing the blockchain something

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

klafbang posted:

Don't invest 60-75%. Only 50% should go into bitcoin. The rest you want to put into riskier (and higher-yielding) shitcoins.

"portfolio" :ughh:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I really wish I had been able to buy puts when that loving iced tea company renamed themselves blockchain for no reason.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They made drat good money on that.

What's the actual equation bitcoin solves? Like i know it has something to do with trailing or leading zeroes, but how do the miners know that 000013482 is correct, while 000013481 isn't?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

ilmucche posted:

They made drat good money on that.

What's the actual equation bitcoin solves? Like i know it has something to do with trailing or leading zeroes, but how do the miners know that 000013482 is correct, while 000013481 isn't?

I ain't super clear on the precise details, but the difficulty change every 2016 blocks is what determines whether 000013482 is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

One of the SHA hash versions of the transaction data plus a nonce, and the leading 0s are of the hash itself in binary form. The random numbers we're talking about are the nonce junk data added to the transaction data in order to manipulate the output of the hash. Since the hash is pseudorandom, there's no simple algorithm to figure out what the nonce should be, so they bash their collective heads against the wall trying (millions? Billions?) random numbers until they get the output they need