Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a way to stop my kinds from being murdered? Like I've lost way too many monarchs to assassinations (that drat hunting one keeps happening) and there's nothing I can do, because the plots I can't stop any factions because the Council blocks me from arresting or killing them.

I keep having really good, well groomed monarchs die almost instantly because of a runaway cart.
Make sure you have a skilled spymaster who likes you. They have massive plot power and you’re in trouble if they want you dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah okay, i didn;t realize that loyalty was important for a spymaster, which seems important.

And no matter what I do with the council, they just cockblock everything, evne if Have them all have 50+ approval, they're stil "aw naw".

And now I'm in a revolt that i cannot end because the noble who's revolting had a ton of small holdings all across the map. I can't even have a white paece. What a loving stupid system that you can't end a war that you have 100% war score for a decade.

Oh 2 years later and he finally gives up the ghost.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 1, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Ah okay, i didn;t realize that loyalty was important for a spymaster, which seems important.

And no matter what I do with the council, they just cockblock everything, evne if Have them all have 50+ approval, they're stil "aw naw".

And now I'm in a revolt that i cannot end because the noble who's revolting had a ton of small holdings all across the map. I can't even have a white paece. What a loving stupid system that you can't end a war that you have 100% war score for a decade.

Oh? Can you post a screenshot? I you have 100% war score, the you should be able to end any war. And I would also be interested on a screenshot of your council voting down things you want. If you hover over the symbols besides them in the voting breakdown, it will tell you why they vote "nay".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

Oh? Can you post a screenshot? I you have 100% war score, the you should be able to end any war. And I would also be interested on a screenshot of your council voting down things you want. If you hover over the symbols besides them in the voting breakdown, it will tell you why they vote "nay".

I'll do that next time they try to block something weird.

And now I've lost Wales because the muder of my king raised some random duke to the crown and lost all that territory I had collected.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

And now I've lost Wales because the muder of my king raised some random duke to the crown and lost all that territory I had collected.

Yeah, setbacks are not uncommon in CK2. What I do in these instances is to win back the stuff I lost and to kill every dynasty member of the guy responsible for all of this. :)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soup du Jour posted:

Playing my first game of HF and the Children’s Crusade was just victorious. Is this... common?

It seems a lot more common than it probably should be, based on peoples' reports. In my game, it was stuck in Genoa for like three or four years before finally making it out and into Greece and then the Holy Land, and despite the huge delay, they won.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The Teutonic Order did some kind of big war, and sent 150k troops to conquer me

life comes at you fast

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Been fiddling with save editing, localization modding, etc. for an LP I plan to do eventually.

Problem is, if I enable any mods that alter the checksum, I can't find - and thus can't edit - the save. Anyone know what's up there?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Soho Joe posted:

The Teutonic Order did some kind of big war, and sent 150k troops to conquer me

life comes at you fast

How did you do this? Unyielding pagan in home territory I guess, anything else?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Torrannor posted:

How did you do this? Unyielding pagan in home territory I guess, anything else?
I'm assuming it was one of those battles where you're already routing them when they start feeding more people into the battle. Results in massive, massive casualties as it basically just extends the rout.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Unyielding Pagan, 46 Martial super-viking leading the center

The fight did start with my 70k vs their 100k and my dudes joined faster

also i murdered a enemy commander in a duel

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I see they could finally realize the full potential of this event with the new DLC

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That event predates Holy Fury by a few DLCs, but it is super rare.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sky Shadowing posted:

That event predates Holy Fury by a few DLCs, but it is super rare.

Ah, I didn't think it actually turned one of your courtiers into a bear before.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm currently playing a Muslim Merchant Republic with Absolute Cognatic succession laws, yet I can't seem to arrange a matrilineal marriage- does anyone have any idea what I'm missing? I can arrange marriages, but the box to arrange matrilineal marriages isn't there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Republics can't matri-marry. It's to stop you from using it to boost your adult male family member count.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, yes, in my experience. At least half the time.

Yeah, the weights for Children's Crusade are probably messed up, personally I've only seen it succeed.

Also from way back,

ulmont posted:

Abominations are not limited to women, but are any people who let past live personalities rise to the forefront of their minds (with possession being a possibility but not required). Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, was also an Abomination.

:spergin::spergin:

poo poo, you are correct. I admit defeat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volkerball posted:

Republics can't matri-marry. It's to stop you from using it to boost your adult male family member count.

I thought they removed that? I seem to recall recently arranging matrilineal marriages as a dragon Merchant Republic, but that might be my memory playing tricks on me.

EDIT: Huh, reading the bloodlines descriptions (I want to preserve my bloodline, hence the whole matrilineal marriage thing), it seems that if a child's father is unknown, then they can still inherit the bloodline. Restricting a character's marriage doesn't prevent them from taking lovers, does it? Can I legitimize any bastards my daughters will have, or is that their job?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 1, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

It's related to the rain level in your capital province. Move your capital out of Africa and it'll stop happening

Ah, that sucks that moving is the only solution. I wanted to keep Kanem & Bornu as my primary duchies and try to fill them with castles but I could only afford that if I'm not paying 1000 gold every few years to deal with rain. Guess it's time to take Tunis.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

TTBF posted:

Ah, that sucks that moving is the only solution. I wanted to keep Kanem & Bornu as my primary duchies and try to fill them with castles but I could only afford that if I'm not paying 1000 gold every few years to deal with rain. Guess it's time to take Tunis.

Conquering a soverign state to keep your books from getting wet is pretty much CK2 in a nutshell

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So, a Windows reinstall and a new graphics card later, I'm finally able to tackle Holy Fury. But I'm so paralyzed with indecision about where to start that I've pretty much spent the last hour hitting the Random Character button over and over :smith:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Conquering a soverign state to keep your books from getting wet is pretty much CK2 in a nutshell

Turns out moving the capital doesn't matter. As long as any part of my demense is in sub-Saharan Africa, I'm vulnerable to the event. I moved my capital to Tripolitina and a few months later "Uh oh, flooding in Kano! Pay 750 gold or lose your tier 4 armor!"

This loving sucks. It's just a huge middle finger to owning territory in the area. There's nothing I can do to negate it aside from just not have that territory in my demense? I can solidify my owning over a North African duchy and go from there but that feels more like playing a Mediterranean country that extends into Africa than an African country which goes all the way to the Mediterranean.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 1, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*in a paradox Dev voice* African societies have never figured out how to deal with rain

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i am making +1950...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^e: Perhaps it's hard capped at 1950?

TTBF posted:

Turns out moving the capital doesn't matter. As long as any part of my demense is in sub-Saharan Africa, I'm vulnerable to the event. I moved my capital to Tripolitina and a few months later "Uh oh, flooding in Kano! Pay 750 gold or lose your tier 4 armor!"

This loving sucks. It's just a huge middle finger to owning territory in the area. There's nothing I can do to negate it aside from just not have that territory in my demense? I can solidify my owning over a North African duchy and go from there but that feels more like playing a Mediterranean country that extends into Africa than an African country which goes all the way to the Mediterranean.

Look around if a mod disables this. If not, just use the console to regain the gold each time.

CommissarMega posted:

I thought they removed that? I seem to recall recently arranging matrilineal marriages as a dragon Merchant Republic, but that might be my memory playing tricks on me.

There was a discussion about this recently. Try to arrange a matrilineal marriage through the diplomacy option, not the ring symbol. You can only marry your daughters to your own courtiers this way, but people reported that this workaround allows matri marriages.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm making 19,500.02 a year but the game doesn't know how to show me that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

I'm making 19,500.02 a year but the game doesn't know how to show me that.

Ah, I'm dumb and didn't register the ... :downs:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

*in a paradox Dev voice* African societies have never figured out how to deal with rain

Undoubtedly it's just a really bad balance measure to keep Africans from having too much money, but... why? Why not just let sub-saharan Africa be rich as poo poo?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

So, a Windows reinstall and a new graphics card later, I'm finally able to tackle Holy Fury. But I'm so paralyzed with indecision about where to start that I've pretty much spent the last hour hitting the Random Character button over and over :smith:

Play as:
- Charlemagne if you like a little story campaign
- Ostergotland in the old gods start if you want to do the whole pagan thing
- Isabella of Jerusalem in 1220 if you like the crusade thunderdome feeling (I do)
- anyone in Spain in 1066 should be fun too

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Torrannor posted:

^^e: Perhaps it's hard capped at 1950?

Look around if a mod disables this. If not, just use the console to regain the gold each time.

There was a discussion about this recently. Try to arrange a matrilineal marriage through the diplomacy option, not the ring symbol. You can only marry your daughters to your own courtiers this way, but people reported that this workaround allows matri marriages.

I'm doing an ironman game so I guess I gotta just bear with it. I'm seeding the entire continent with my relatives and as long as I keep eldership succession I can pretty much jump into territory whenever. I can focus on strengthening North Africa first and then save up money so I can lose a bunch of gold while I'm trying to improve the rainy areas.

e: There's another, similar event regarding landslides. The options are "lose a building and some gold", "lose three people and some gold", or "lose a building and some people." It happens a lot less often and involves a choice so it isn't anywhere near as annoying. If the rain ruining my books/armor/etc happened at the same rate as that or gave me what felt like an actual option it'd be a lot less irksome.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Undoubtedly it's just a really bad balance measure to keep Africans from having too much money, but... why? Why not just let sub-saharan Africa be rich as poo poo?

they fear the blacks

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Even with the new trade stuff down there it's still poor as poo poo, having one of those just lets you wage wars without blowing through your 5 year savings of 50 gold. I'm pretty sure the treasury event scales with income, I don't think I ever had to pay more than 150 gold for it even when I was emperor of the interior and north African coast because my actual income was so low. By that time I had several thousand gold just sitting in my treasury with nothing to spend it on because I'm tribal and had been raiding whenever I wasn't at war with my retinue like a tribal should. Even if for some reason you decide to make a feudal capital in hausaland or wherever you should still have plenty of gold from raiding. I mean everyone sits on 500-1k gold for emergencies right? Especially with the new coronations you never know when you'll need it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pidan posted:

- Ostergotland in the old gods start if you want to do the whole pagan thing

Why this particularly?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TTBF posted:

e: There's another, similar event regarding landslides. The options are "lose a building and some gold", "lose three people and some gold", or "lose a building and some people." It happens a lot less often and involves a choice so it isn't anywhere near as annoying. If the rain ruining my books/armor/etc happened at the same rate as that or gave me what felt like an actual option it'd be a lot less irksome.

This, at least, is not limited to Africa. I got this event in my current run as the Mongols.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Crow Jane posted:

My go to whenever the game updates is Haeseinn of Nantes in the Old Gods start. Consolidate Brittany and then you can basically do whatever because preparing invasions as a feudal pagan gives you a fuckton of actually good troops.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I'm currently playing a Muslim Merchant Republic with Absolute Cognatic succession laws, yet I can't seem to arrange a matrilineal marriage- does anyone have any idea what I'm missing? I can arrange marriages, but the box to arrange matrilineal marriages isn't there.

It seems to be a bug with governments that disallow matrilineal marriage. Iqta government with absolute cognatic could also matrilineally marry in the previous version but it's broken now. I reported it so hopefully it will be fixed in a future patch.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Some of the coronation events may not be suitably aware that children can occasionally go through them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Why this particularly?

Sorry, I actually meant Haraldr Fairhair, Jarl of Ostlandet, and it's because it's a good start to expand, reform the religion, and enjoy the pagan lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Some of the coronation events may not be suitably aware that children can occasionally go through them.

Oh so THAT'S why I end up with underage kids giving birth at random!