Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so here's a side-track: I'm looking for more video game soundtracks to put on and forget about during my board game nights. I've found soundtracks from games to be more thematically and stylistically unified than from movies, so that's where my preference goes. We like instrumental stuff, or "classical" (not the right word but I can't think of a better one) vocals, often with european/asian folk-y influences. Here's my list so far.

Hollow Knight
Homeworld 1/2/Deserts of Kharak
Witcher 3
Dragon Age Origins
Ori and the Blind Forest
Aquaria
Trine
Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think bastion has good music but am unsure what you meant about vocals.

Jamestown has amazing music but is pretty short

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legend of Mana's soundtrack is amazing and is the only thing I've heard with a song in Finnish.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
There's an official D&D soundtrack.

Also any Blind Guardian album, if your group is cool and good

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The King of Dragon Pass soundtrack is fantastic and goes especially well with anything viking/celtic themed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Do *not* use the official soundtrack for A Touch of Evil that comes on a CD with the game, unless you like really bad voice acting yelling "murder!".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dancer posted:

Hey so here's a side-track: I'm looking for more video game soundtracks to put on and forget about during my board game nights.

Endless Legend sounds exactly like what you want.

Divinity Original Sin and the sequel OS2 has IMO one of the best of all time.

Journey, Risk of Rain (may be too techno-ey?).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Flybyno's soundtracks for the Endless games are amazing. And you've got Endless Space 1 and 2 for spacefaring games, while you've got Endless Legend for fantasy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Blackout by the GWT designer. Another okay game but still very average. But I really need to rant about subpar art direction and component design that makes it clear nobody playtested with finished components.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

No matter your taste, the Hotline Miami soundtrack is always appropriate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The OST from Guild Wars 1 if you can find it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Dancer posted:

Hey so here's a side-track: I'm looking for more video game soundtracks to put on and forget about during my board game nights. I've found soundtracks from games to be more thematically and stylistically unified than from movies, so that's where my preference goes. We like instrumental stuff, or "classical" (not the right word but I can't think of a better one) vocals, often with european/asian folk-y influences. Here's my list so far.

Hollow Knight
Witcher 3
Dragon Age Origins
Ori and the Blind Forest
Aquaria
Trine
Skyrim

The Nier and Nier: Automata OSTs by Keiichi Okabe are must haves, then. As is the Shadow of the Colossus OST by the inimitable Kow Otani.

Not a game soundtrack, but E.S. Posthumus's Unearthed album is probably also up your alley.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dancer posted:

Hollow Knight
Witcher 3
Dragon Age Origins
Ori and the Blind Forest
Aquaria
Trine
Skyrim

You might like the Battlerite OST

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Has anyone played the Dominant Species card game and if so, can you compare it to the board game?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

For music I just load up a lofi hiphop station on youtube and just let that run.

Endless Legend and Endless Space are both great background musics too, though all of the hymnal gregorian chant kind of 'singing' in almost every track can grate on some. Mind's blanking on what to call it.

This Hollandspiele sale might get me in trouble. I was really hoping it would go until the 25th, when I could order stuff and have it arrive post-Christmas. I'm on a bit of a games embargo until post holidays, though I really want AIT, The Soo Line, Meltwater and A Guilty Land.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just put on Sleep's Dopesmoker. It provides the perfect sense of plodding tension for any board game and it's almost exactly 75 minutes long so that can help you keep track of time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Our friends put together a baby shower for us, and I wanted to get a party game together for everyone. Given the number of people and lack of gaming experience, I went with Two Rooms And A Boom. But the theme has always been a little iffy and politically charged, so I had an idea for a reskin.

Two Rooms And A Boom-Boom. Instead of trying to Bomb the President, Red Clean Team is trying to have a Diaper in the same room as the Poop, while the Dirty Team is trying to prevent it. I made some proxies and put them in front of sleeved MtG cards. First game was just vanilla with ten people, second and third were nine people with a blue Bodyguard (Whining Dog), a Red Pirate (Needy Cat), a Rival (Nice Clothes), a Victim (Onesie), and a Gambler (Nose). It went over really well, including a couple people mentioning that it's something they'd want to play again.

Once I'm home, I'll upload the image files of the proxies I used. They got a lot of compliments, too (despite literally just being black text and clip art on a white background).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 2, 2018

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Has anyone played the Dominant Species card game and if so, can you compare it to the board game?

It's only connected by theme - and by the general idea of "dominance" or something I guess. And the cards have animals on them.

The card game has very simple mechanics and mostly comes down to getting your chips (so to speak) in rounds where you have the best hand, and ideally when your position is strong enough that others won't contest it. Someone choosing to stay in a round can end up killing both players, so it ends up with some elements of negotiation and deal-making.

It was fine, but not really exciting in any way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

For music I just load up a lofi hiphop station on youtube and just let that run.

Endless Legend and Endless Space are both great background musics too, though all of the hymnal gregorian chant kind of 'singing' in almost every track can grate on some. Mind's blanking on what to call it.

This Hollandspiele sale might get me in trouble. I was really hoping it would go until the 25th, when I could order stuff and have it arrive post-Christmas. I'm on a bit of a games embargo until post holidays, though I really want AIT, The Soo Line, Meltwater and A Guilty Land.

Yeah Lofi hip hop or the instrumental music for studying/sleeping are good background music. Maybe you can message Tom and ask him if he can put your order in the back of the line? That’s what I’m trying to do since I’ll be away from home for a while. Order on the 14th, message that if possible I want mine at the back of the line and arriving mid January.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

I'm playing Gugong the latest by Hansa Teutonica designer Andreas Steding and this may be the worst game I've played at the con. I'll write up full details later but this is aggressively mediocre and based on the other Essen games I've seen 2019 is going to be a sea of bland Euros with the same gimmick of 6-boards-in-one.

So Very Wrong About Games really liked it. I KS'd it and one day when Game Brewers makes up their mind about what to do about a minor issue regarding a card I might even get the game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

Just put on Sleep's Dopesmoker. It provides the perfect sense of plodding tension for any board game and it's almost exactly 75 minutes long so that can help you keep track of time.

It's tradition in my group to start off 1830 with that album. I'm sure this comes as a shock.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I like Melodice for boardgame music. This website has youtube playlists for a lot of games based on themes. Has videogame music in there as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

So Very Wrong About Games really liked it. I KS'd it and one day when Game Brewers makes up their mind about what to do about a minor issue regarding a card I might even get the game.

Curious about the minor issue.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

Some kind of poo poo with duplicate cards that does not affect game play supposedly. I dunno, I just wish the game would ship.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2092805/2-identical-cards

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2099735/official-game-brewer-statement-about-misprinted-de

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MG42 posted:

I like Melodice for boardgame music. This website has youtube playlists for a lot of games based on themes. Has videogame music in there as well.

this is really cool but I'm super tilted that Sidereal Confluence's sole entry is some dumb meme song instead of a bunch of DS9/TNG music and the full FTL ost

e: wow there's a decent playlist for Copper Country, impressive

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 2, 2018

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Hollandspiele canvas maps might force me to break my self imposed rule for not buying games in December. Can anyone remark on Wars of Marcus Aurelius?

Is Meltwater playable solo?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

One card and one decree are identical to another card and decree so you have less variability in the game setup. It doesn’t change any individual game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

One card and one decree are identical to another card and decree so you have less variability in the game setup. It doesn’t change any individual game.

I don’t know. The game’s action economy means that having identical cards results in a cascading effect. I’m sure it’s a non-issue in the long run but the starting cards are fixed by player order and if the 5th player gets the duplicates it’s objectively suboptimal. If it’s the first or second player it’s nothing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MG42 posted:

https://melodice.org/playlist/1830-railways-robber-barons-1986/

Extremely accurate. Quad City DJs is perfect

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I want to get scythe with all the expansions. How do I fit everything in one box, including an organizer?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MG42 posted:

Ooh, the Pandemic one is really, really good.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Ropes4u posted:

The Hollandspiele canvas maps might force me to break my self imposed rule for not buying games in December. Can anyone remark on Wars of Marcus Aurelius?

Is Meltwater playable solo?

Meltwater is soloable in the same way that chess is soloable. There's no AI you can play against, but you're welcome to play against yourself. There's no information asymmetry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

I want to get scythe with all the expansions. How do I fit everything in one box, including an organizer?

If you bought all the expansions, then technically you also bought the Scythe Legendary Box.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'll take this opportunity to recommend Domina's soundtrack. It's weird and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJ3AgZ4Cw0

https://bignic.bandcamp.com/album/domina

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

For boardgame music I just go to Spotify and find a mood station that suits the game. If you turn it low enough to be at conversation level you can barely tell vocals anyway if that annoys you.

We just finished our 12th game of Gloomhaven, and boy are my arms tired! I am liking the game enough, but I am having some FOMO about some other games I am not getting to the table. I average one game night a week, so adjusting to playing one game over and over has been difficult for my dinosaur brain.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dancer posted:

On Pandora, there are a bunch of bands that do soundtrack music for nonexistant movies, I guess in the hopes of licensing them? The only problem is that some of it would way too high energy for board gaming. Still, might be worth looking into.

For content, I always liked the Warcraft 2 soundtrack. It might be a little too old (from a sound quality perspective) to mesh with more modern music.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Meltwater is soloable in the same way that chess is soloable. There's no AI you can play against, but you're welcome to play against yourself. There's no information asymmetry.

Thank you, I will find someone to play it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Bag everything that can be bagged, throw away the vacformed inserts. Keep Rise of Fenris in it's own box because it's not really a traditional expansion, but a campaign in its own right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That's one of the things I miss the most with my hearing loss. I can't play music during board games anymore because the music takes away from the hearing that I still have left. Maybe one day technology will fix that, but for now, I can't have music while playing board games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That sounds intensely frustrating. :smith:

Do you or your gaming partners do anything specific to help with hearing what people are doing? I'm mostly asking because I tend towards facilitating games running smoothly and any suggestions for making sure everyone sees and hears what I'm doing would be great.