Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ApplesandOranges posted:

The thing with Christian is that he's well liked and has been surprisingly strong in challenges (I think him and Davie are the biggest immunity threats left, actually), but he hasn't actually done a lot. Gabby was the one who marshaled the votes for Carl. Davie, Nick and Carl were the ones who toppled the Goliath majority. He's almost always in the loop, but we haven't seen him actually lead the charge. Nick and Davie actually have a bigger resume, but Christian has more friends on the jury.

I think survivor resumes are a little overrated. Christian's social game has been on point all season long and he was identified as a massive threat so he doesn't really need to make big moves for people to remember he's there. That challenge win over Alec was pretty epic too. If he got to the end without any major blunders along the way I don't see how anybody could beat him.

Just been liking that there's so many potential winners with Angelina and probably Mike being the only ones I can't see having a chance. Even Gabby looking like a threat instead of literally crying in Christian's arms for 39 days if the preview is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember them plying people with quite as much alcohol in seasons past

They were drunk before they got off the boat and still had like 30 bottles lmao

nerox
May 20, 2001
Does Alec not get a Ponderosa or am I looking for it too early?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rob and Fishbauch were debating the value of "resumes" on RHAP last night and how they tend to drive people to do dumb things like Alec taking out Natalia. They kind of danced around the idea that there's "stories" and "resumes" and you need one or the other. I think Rob said that was Sophie's theory. But like Christian has a "story" so he doesn't necessarily need a resume. He's well liked, he's played hard, and if he gets to the end he'll do so despite being a target since the start of the merge. On paper that's enough to win plus he's got a good narrative about meeting his goals and finding some confidence and etc. Gabby might feel she needs a resume because she doesn't have a clear story like that (although making the move against Carl while he was scheming against her is theoretically the start of one).

I think that's maybe a little bit of a simplification but I mostly agree. Like I think if your part of an alliance you probably need a resume because if its like Dom vs Wendell at the end you've gotta make the case for why you did more than the other guy on your team. If you played a solo game I think its less important. But of course as we've discussed some people like Michelle win without either a story or resume. They just play the best social game.

In the end there's no one way to win Survivor. Its a complicated game that changes from cast to cast.

nerox posted:

Does Alec not get a Ponderosa or am I looking for it too early?

Is there a Carl one? If so then it might be a victim of the "gently caress It" ban.

Although oddly RHAP appears to have done an exit interview with him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

usually the only story you need is 'got two the end with two people that the jury likes less'

freeman posted:

if the preview is accurate.

:allears:

nerox
May 20, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Rob and Fishbauch were debating the value of "resumes" on RHAP last night and how they tend to drive people to do dumb things like Alec taking out Natalia. They kind of danced around the idea that there's "stories" and "resumes" and you need one or the other. I think Rob said that was Sophie's theory. But like Christian has a "story" so he doesn't necessarily need a resume. He's well liked, he's played hard, and if he gets to the end he'll do so despite being a target since the start of the merge. On paper that's enough to win plus he's got a good narrative about meeting his goals and finding some confidence and etc. Gabby might feel she needs a resume because she doesn't have a clear story like that (although making the move against Carl while he was scheming against her is theoretically the start of one).

I think that's maybe a little bit of a simplification but I mostly agree. Like I think if your part of an alliance you probably need a resume because if its like Dom vs Wendell at the end you've gotta make the case for why you did more than the other guy on your team. If you played a solo game I think its less important. But of course as we've discussed some people like Michelle win without either a story or resume. They just play the best social game.

In the end there's no one way to win Survivor. Its a complicated game that changes from cast to cast.

Is there a Carl one? If so then it might be a victim of the "gently caress It" ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SER2K43Pfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RldnhoTW7Ig

I found them, it just doesn't have their name on them for some reason.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's true that Christian has been more of an identified threat that's hanging in there than an actual mover so far, but I do think the Carl move changes that a little. Christian was in on that from the beginning (and considered it the vote before). He was also shown as the one who approached Mike, who was the crucial vote. I think credit goes all around for that one, of course to Gabby but to Alison too.

And it was definitely a good move for those two. I'm not sure it was the right move for Christian though. He saves Alison, but Mike White has tried to vote him out multiple times, and now he's burned some guys that were good allies. He's going to have a bigger challenge finding backers to take him deeper into the game now. Alison under the TV radar is playing a really good game it seems, involved in all sorts of relationships and respected on the island. Probably just dull TV though.

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of RHAP it sounds like Todd Herzog canceled on Rob. I'm sure people will be reading into that, what with Todd's prior cancellations and history with alcoholism and all. I don't know what the story is this time though.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

It's a difficult distinction, because Michele also played hard and was well liked. It's just that Christian somehow has the 'I was always a target' bit to sell. Which some could say was a byproduct of the season's theme, since he's such the personification of a David.

The other big 'social' win I can think of is J.T.. He was mostly the social person of the group, Stephen handled most of the strategy. He didn't have a big story to sell either, he was just that well liked.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
If Christian can survive this next boot (especially without using the idol) by getting out one of Kara or Allison, he'll be in really good position. The threat of a Gabby/Allison/Kara alliance is kryptonite for his game. There's no way he's in that trio's F4 plans.

Conversely, I think Nick and Davey would be more willing to go F4 with him, and in fact the three of them might be kinda stuck together next week (and maybe from here on out in general?) The week after could be a different story, but If an idol or two get played with one of them still going home, that's a potential Goliath + Gabby march to end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think a lot of Christian's future probably lies in the question of the status of Mason-Dixon. It was odd that never came up these past episodes. Nick obviously wasn't serious about it as he clearly sees all these alliances as transitory but it seemed like a big deal with the Allison/Gabby/Carl thing for it not to come up.

I've always figured Nick will turn on Christian sooner than later since he's an obvious threat, so maybe that's all it is. Maybe Nick wrote off Christian and went with Davie and Carl. Or maybe Nick just misread the situation and thought he was taking the path of least resistance and grossly misread the Gabby stuff. But I'm most curious to see how he reacts after Tribal. Both with Christian but also when Gabby asks him and Davie why they were planning to blindside her. Nick's never actually had to answer for stuff or been caught up in anything yet so I'm curious to see how he reacts and I'm curious to see what direction he chooses next.

Its possible with Carl gone Nick (and Davie) will see the danger of the Gabby/Allison/Kara (Angelina?) thing and stick with Christian. They also had Mike go against them so its just them and Angelina left. If the ladies do take out Christian I have to think Davie and Nick would be in serious trouble.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Agreed on all of that. Very curious to see how Nick goes forward after this, and also to see how Gabby handles things, especially with the knowledge of Christian's idol. If she really is serious about blindsiding him, she's gonna have to clue her alliance in about his idol and fully convince him that Nick or Davie are going home.

Looping Nick/Davie/Angelina into the blindside would be unnecessarily risky, and I could see something like that tripping up her plan, but if she can pull all that off against her island BFF without arousing any suspicion...then drat.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I think the women will join up and agree to a ~25% shot at the money but I am hoping for an endless series of big moves where people elevate their status and immediately become the next target.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MAYBE you could rope Angelina in. It would be a gamble but she has zero guile and I imagine that after Tribal she'll just flip again to the new majority. She only seemed to be with Carl because he was the game in town and the Goliaths had backstabbed her. I kind of half expect really transparent attempts to form a girls alliance from her next week. Which they could theoretically use to take out Christian, Nick, and Davie. Mike becomes an interesting question mark there, though, since he's gotta be smart enough to see his own danger in that scenario.

Its a complicated, interesting, and very unpredictable mix of elements.

Honestly, I don't see how targeting Christian this week makes sense for Gabby. The numbers are just too close. If she just worked with him another week to vote out Mike, Nick, or Davie then it would probably be a lot easier move to make the week after. But its possible Gabby could Zeke out after the big Carl move.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I could see Mike and Angelina working in lockstep the rest of the way through. Everybody else has kinda paired off, anyway. Its essentially Nick/Davie vs. Kara/Allison, with Christian/Gabby as the wildcards and Mike/Angelina as the non-threats who just go wherever the wind happens to be blowing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Davie and Nick is gonna be the tight twosome because Nick never named that alliance.

Vernacular posted:

I could see Mike and Angelina working in lockstep the rest of the way through. Everybody else has kinda paired off, anyway. Its essentially Nick/Davie vs. Kara/Allison, with Christian/Gabby as the wildcards and Mike/Angelina as the non-threats who just go wherever the wind happens to be blowing.

I think Mike hates Angelina though. They've played together the entire game and she's probably worn him down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, now that Alec's exit press is out:

EW: Listen, you got a little active on social media, posting a picture of you and Kara before the cast was even announced with the caption “F— it,” so clearly knowing you weren’t supposed to be doing that. What was that all about?

Alec: Alright, so… just to kind of say my peace. It’s been the main bone of contention for my entire Survivor experience. The thing is, with social media, I feel things can be misconstrued, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for CBS, for Survivor, for Jeff. I went out there and I had the experience of a lifetime. My biggest dream was to be on Survivor, so to go out there and have the experience, that’s what I’m going to hold close to my heart and that’s what I’m going to cherish.

To go out there and meet Jeff and have the opportunity to be a part of such an awesome show, it was so rad. So that picture, it was unfortunate. I take 100 percent ownership of it. It sucks. But I think things can be misconstrued and that’s all I really have to comment about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Things can get misconstrued" seems like such a "it was just a joke/I was a kid" nonsense answer, but also who cares?

Its weird he's doing post eviction press but is still banned from the Finale. I guess its a message.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Mike hates Angelina though. They've played together the entire game and she's probably worn him down.

I actually get the feeling she's kinda grown on him. Plus, they need to be sitting next to each other at the end if they both want a shot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mike literally said in the last episode that Angelina could be right but she does it in a way that was aggravating.

Also, Mike's a little wishy-washy and Angelina's very blunt, so I can't imagine that he appreciates that, just like how Natalie rubbed him the wrong way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, now that Alec's exit press is out:

EW: Listen, you got a little active on social media, posting a picture of you and Kara before the cast was even announced with the caption “F— it,” so clearly knowing you weren’t supposed to be doing that. What was that all about?

Alec: Alright, so… just to kind of say my peace. It’s been the main bone of contention for my entire Survivor experience. The thing is, with social media, I feel things can be misconstrued, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for CBS, for Survivor, for Jeff. I went out there and I had the experience of a lifetime. My biggest dream was to be on Survivor, so to go out there and have the experience, that’s what I’m going to hold close to my heart and that’s what I’m going to cherish.

To go out there and meet Jeff and have the opportunity to be a part of such an awesome show, it was so rad. So that picture, it was unfortunate. I take 100 percent ownership of it. It sucks. But I think things can be misconstrued and that’s all I really have to comment about that.

lol the gently caress is this nonsense (Alec, not you)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mike literally said in the last episode that Angelina could be right but she does it in a way that was aggravating.

Also, Mike's a little wishy-washy and Angelina's very blunt, so I can't imagine that he appreciates that, just like how Natalie rubbed him the wrong way.

He had that kind of avuncular laugh (maybe a bit condescending as well, but there was also weirdly some warmth to it) when she was saying something dumb at tribal, and there's also been some friendly body language between them. I don't think he has any serious issues with her.

Mike's not gonna vote her out cuz she's annoying. Nobody is. We're past that point.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 30, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

pretty sure the guy that works in HOLLYWOOD can tolerate some dumbass with an ego

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

This was one of my favourite moments from last night:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just got caught up with the season and that loving nullifier was bonkers.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Overdrift posted:

I can't not laugh at that gif.
Did tucking that middle rope under her chin benefit her at all? Was that for balance or was that to not have a rope knot banging in her face?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

I can't not laugh at that gif.
Did tucking that middle rope under her chin benefit her at all? Was that for balance or was that to not have a rope knot banging in her face?

I think it slightly aided her by giving a (albeit weak) second anchor point for her upper body while she reached for the far rope. Otherwise she more easily would have swung outward and fallen off.

The better option would have been to bring her back hand to the rope on her chin and then reach for the far rope, but I guess it worked out either way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I expected it was because the rules were that you had to be touching a rope to get to the next level one and she was trying to skip the chin rope without moving her feet.

Just a guess though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Angelina is my new favorite and it is not even close, her brand of chaos is just so self-satisfied and yet justified that I love it so much

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Overdrift posted:

Okay poo poo....it's been 9 years since Tocantins and this avatar I have, but I may have to switch to this. It's too good.

Any gif wizards here able to make it into a usable avatar, preferrably with just her in the close-up, derpy neck rope wavering stance? I would give you much e-love for that.

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 30, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
On RHAP, James Lim is describing the “Chore chart” production provided them for Ghost Island.

Holy poo poo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What's the short version? And didn't the OG Navitis hate that camp when they swapped onto it?

(I forget the orange tribe name and I am so not looking it up.. I'm with the rest of the thread in having to stop and think to remember that last season was, for example, called Ghost Island)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Lol at Angelinas opening negotiation for rice being everything they own.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Bigass Moth posted:

Lol at Angelinas opening negotiation for rice being everything they own.

"I took multiple negotiation classes. I will give the first offer. It is everything."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Angelina has spun around the other end of the spectrum and now I'm entertained by her as a tragically clueless figure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spokes posted:

"I took multiple negotiation classes. I will give the first offer. It is everything."

Jeff apparently didn't take any negotiation classes at all.

"Oh you want to give up everything? That's not good enough, you gotta make the personal sacrifice and give up your chance at winning an immunity challenge you had no chance of winning"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm watching some of the bonus confessionals from this week right now and Nick has already pegged Angelina and Mike as goats and that he's going to have to turn on Christian, Gabby, and Carl eventually.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Jeff apparently didn't take any negotiation classes at all.

"Oh you want to give up everything? That's not good enough, you gotta make the personal sacrifice and give up your chance at winning an immunity challenge you had no chance of winning"

It really had the feel of being preplanned. Their rice is low and at some point, they are going to ask for more, what should we make them do to get more?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
According to interviews, everyone on the tribe agreed to Angelina's offer before the challenge, since most of it was stuff they weren't using anyway (they were simply not getting anything from the fishing gear, for instance).

The producers seemed to be giving the tribes less rice in general; according to Jenna last season, there was an unaired trade for more rice (and her and Michael were just eating lots of it on the day they went home because they knew they were going out). Best guess is that it was to give the tribe more incentive to keep providers (like the alpha males Jeff loves so much) around. Problem is people stop really caring about who's bringing back the food after the merge, since there's usually a food reward every few days.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

There was an interview before 35 or 36 aired with Jeff saying they were making it even MORE EXTREME :black101: by halving the starting rice so that may still be the case. I guess they’ve been in this location so long they’ve worked out how much the players need and what they get for the sea etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or they just want to see people shedding pounds. Later on in the game they don't have as much eye candy to choose from, so the remaining people should look as good naked as possible, up to and including visible heart palpitations.

My cynicism knows no bounds but I really have to suspect that to a degree.