Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

I remember Lufia being generic as hell. In fact, the only thing I remember about it was the intolerable plot, which consisted almost entirely of fetch quests. Always
"Oh we can do this, but first we need A."
"Oh, we have A but won't give it to you until we get B."
"B is buried within the mine! To get to it, you'll need C."

I beat it, but absolutely would not recommend it.

I've mainly had trouble with vague plot triggers sometimes, like being unsure who to talk to to move on, but managed to figure those out without looking them up. I am liking the Sinistrals though and I'm hoping that they do more than just destroying villages willy nilly, given only one is the Sinistral of Destruction. I want to see the Chaos Sinistral driving people to madness, that sort of thing. Reflect their aspect in a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When exploring actually turns up something cool it's drat cool. I've just been going to the towers to reveal the map and I think I found my first divine beast

Just walking around and now there's a helibird flying around above me. Not sure how I'll get to it but that's for another time

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You're going to be disappointed, Bioenchanted. Hate to say it, but lower your expectations...

...but then prepare to be wowed at how much better everything is in Lufia 2!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SMT4 is a heck of an obtuse game at times but I am pushing through because my weird shut-in Mikado bros' reactions to everything down on the surface are adorable.

With minimal spoilers, how does SMT4A tie in? Obviously 4 proper starts well after the apocalypse, so I'm really wondering if SMT4A gets into what actually went down or if it's an alternate timeline or what.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

SMT4 is a heck of an obtuse game at times but I am pushing through because my weird shut-in Mikado bros' reactions to everything down on the surface are adorable.

With minimal spoilers, how does SMT4A tie in? Obviously 4 proper starts well after the apocalypse, so I'm really wondering if SMT4A gets into what actually went down or if it's an alternate timeline or what.

it's a sequel based off of the neutral ending to 4

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

It's an alternate timeline that branches a little bit before the final battle of the neutral path of SMT4. So most, but not all, of SMT4 has already happened.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ahh, nuts - and I've heard going for individual endings in SMT4 is more painful than it should be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vic posted:

I wanted to say that while I can understand someone not liking a weapon breaking mechanic on principle, I really like it in BOTW.

The game is much more about "playing around" than for example Skyrim. I like Skyrim a lot. But it's just spreadsheets. You have little reason to use anything but the currently best weapon. There's durability but you can ignore it most of the time. That leads to people complaining hitting the sweet spot and game stopping being a challenge. BOTW went the other way, and introduced this constantly chaning situation where sometimes you finish goblins off with a ladle, or a mop. It's a gameplay mechanic that was clearly intended to make things like combat something kinda fresh every time.

That's why I'm telling people not cool with it to not bother with BOTW, because the whole game's designed like that. I really appreciate that it gamified a lot of otherwise mundane stuff that's in every RPG. You don't have to go to blacksmith every X minutes because ur bar is low, you're out there and you gotta go deeper to find something to defend yourself with.

I don't disagree with your point but Skyrim doesn't have durability.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ahh, nuts - and I've heard going for individual endings in SMT4 is more painful than it should be.

Youll probably want a guide. You need to be just enough to either law or chaos before the final choices because if youre neutral you cant select neutral options and if youre too law or chaos you cant get back to neutral no matter what you pick.

For a 20-40 hour RPG its a really stupid design choice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Sally posted:

You're going to be disappointed, Bioenchanted. Hate to say it, but lower your expectations...

...but then prepare to be wowed at how much better everything is in Lufia 2!
This. Lufia is a game with one good idea and Lufia 2 takes that idea and runs with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've said it before, but durability is fine when it has a point. And unfortunately, we've been so inundated with instances where it doesn't have a point (Fallout 3 and New Vegas, arguably Oblivion but I think it falls rear end-backwards into having a purpose, most MMOs, shields in Skyward Sword) that we also hate the ones with purpose, because those purposes are usually very subtle. And usually, I find, they're about avoiding complacency and forcing you to keep changing things up.

Minecraft is a surprisingly good example of that, because it's fairly obvious why it's implemented, and it obviously works. In the unmodded game, it's the most effective way to keep you in that central gameplay loop of mining for materials. Because every tool you can have is ultimately finite, including the best ones in the game, you can't get complacent; you have to keep mining and exploring, because that diamond vein you found isn't going to last you forever. In a sense, it's perfect that one of the most common things you get in Minecraft mod packs are a way to somehow not worry about tools breaking, because there's often so much more going on in mod packs that you don't have to be spurred into continued mining and exploration for no reason than 'I need more diamonds to keep up my tools'.

Breath of the Wild does well with durability, too. Sure there's some great weapons, but with the exception of the Master Sword, even they won't last long. So you're forced to keep playing the field, exploring and trying different things, because you're working with what you've found. It means you can never really get complacent with 'it's okay because I found a rad spear', since that spear's temporary. Eventually, it's gonna break, and you're gonna have to try something new.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This. Lufia is a game with one good idea and Lufia 2 takes that idea and runs with it.

I've found a second thing I like about it - the Old Cave is a neat idea for a sidequest, returning every 5 levels to do a harder floor and find a harder treasure, but also getting some really good stuff on the way. The Broad Sword is cursed, but it barely hurts you and nearly doubled my attack power so that's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I've found a second thing I like about it - the Old Cave is a neat idea for a sidequest, returning every 5 levels to do a harder floor and find a harder treasure, but also getting some really good stuff on the way. The Broad Sword is cursed, but it barely hurts you and nearly doubled my attack power so that's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

Lufia II has the Ancient Cave, which is basically a roguelike minigame -- randomly-generated levels, dive to the bottom to find cool stuff. At the start of each Ancient Cave run, you're knocked down to level 1 and stripped of all gear and inventory, so you have to make do with what you can find. Sometimes you'll find special treasures that can be taken out of the cave (most loot can't be), and used both in the main game and in future Ancient Cave runs, so it has an element of meta-progression to it. If I recall correctly, it also allows you to bring any selection of party members with you (instead of the specific plot-mandated party you happen to have at the time), and everyone's pretty viable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

There is also some deeply insane dungeon design.

They’re fun games but there’s nothing wrong with going “welp, had enough right now”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Breath of the Wild does well with durability, too. Sure there's some great weapons, but with the exception of the Master Sword, even they won't last long. So you're forced to keep playing the field, exploring and trying different things, because you're working with what you've found. It means you can never really get complacent with 'it's okay because I found a rad spear', since that spear's temporary. Eventually, it's gonna break, and you're gonna have to try something new.

This might be the best argument for why weapon durability in BOTW is amazing that I've read.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cleretic posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas, arguably Oblivion but I think it falls rear end-backwards into having a purpose,

I think in Morrowind* it had more of a point and purpose- fast travel when you're out in the boonies was very limited, so it was more like these long expeditions. Having some sort of way to repair/replenish your weapons was crucial, whether that was having backups (less carry capacity for new loot), repairing it yourself (have to invest skill points + carry repair tools, also repair tools had durability), or just using whatever you find (random, unreliable and probably worse than your poo poo), or just throw your hands up and hoof it back to town (time cost). You could do roleplay stuff like clearing out a cave and stashing gear there as an expedition base. It encourages investment and planning.

But as you got access to fast travel spells and items like mark/recall and the interventions, why would you bother? Just Mark the cave you're in, Intervention to a town to heal/repair/stash your loot and then Recall back. The most "optimal" way to play is to go back to town whenever you need for a few minutes and bypass durability completely. Then in Oblivion and up you can fast travel easily from the get-go, so item durability really just becomes a periodic time and gold fee.

*I didn't play the earlier ones, can't comment on them

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Dec 1, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mazerunner posted:

I think in Morrowind* it had more of a point and purpose- fast travel when you're out in the boonies was very limited, so it was more like these long expeditions. Having some sort of way to repair/replenish your weapons was crucial, whether that was having backups (less carry capacity for new loot), repairing it yourself (have to invest skill points + carry repair tools, also repair tools had durability), or just using whatever you find (random, unreliable and probably worse than your poo poo), or just throw your hands up and hoof it back to town (time cost). You could do roleplay stuff like clearing out a cave and stashing gear there as an expedition base. It encourages investment and planning.

But as you got access to fast travel spells and items like mark/recall and the interventions, why would you bother? Just Mark the cave you're in, Intervention to a town to heal/repair/stash your loot and then Recall back. The most "optimal" way to play is to go back to town whenever you need for a few minutes and bypass durability completely. Then in Oblivion and up you can fast travel easily from the get-go, so item durability really just becomes a periodic time and gold fee.

*I didn't play the earlier ones, can't comment on them

I didn't play much of Morrowind, but I think in both it and Oblivion it's more of an early-game limiter that forces you to actually consider your approach and play it a bit safer. Which both makes that endgame where you don't have to worry about it all the sweeter, and leaves you better-equipped to make the most of those endgame tools because you've had to be sparing with things and learn how to make the most of them.

The main reason I think it works in Oblivion is enchanting, as an aside. Because you need to level up Armourer before you can repair enchanted equipment, and enchanting is the most glorious way to shatter the game over itself, it acts as a limiter. You can't just go straight to overpowered enchanted equipment, because you won't be able to maintain it, you have to start slow and build up to that. Which means you actually learn the game, which means you're ever better at breaking it when you get the chance to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Lufia II has the Ancient Cave, which is basically a roguelike minigame -- randomly-generated levels, dive to the bottom to find cool stuff. At the start of each Ancient Cave run, you're knocked down to level 1 and stripped of all gear and inventory, so you have to make do with what you can find. Sometimes you'll find special treasures that can be taken out of the cave (most loot can't be), and used both in the main game and in future Ancient Cave runs, so it has an element of meta-progression to it. If I recall correctly, it also allows you to bring any selection of party members with you (instead of the specific plot-mandated party you happen to have at the time), and everyone's pretty viable.

I think I played a flash game that was almost exactly that. You needed to collect gold items that would stay with you and allow you to be stronger for each iteration of the cave, with temporary items that only lasted that one pass that lacked the gold rim. The Enchantedd Cave, it's here: https://www.kongregate.com/games/DustinAux/the-enchanted-cave?acomplete=enchanted

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've said it before, but durability is fine when it has a point. And unfortunately, we've been so inundated with instances where it doesn't have a point (Fallout 3 and New Vegas, arguably Oblivion but I think it falls rear end-backwards into having a purpose, most MMOs, shields in Skyward Sword) that we also hate the ones with purpose, because those purposes are usually very subtle. And usually, I find, they're about avoiding complacency and forcing you to keep changing things up.

Minecraft is a surprisingly good example of that, because it's fairly obvious why it's implemented, and it obviously works. In the unmodded game, it's the most effective way to keep you in that central gameplay loop of mining for materials. Because every tool you can have is ultimately finite, including the best ones in the game, you can't get complacent; you have to keep mining and exploring, because that diamond vein you found isn't going to last you forever. In a sense, it's perfect that one of the most common things you get in Minecraft mod packs are a way to somehow not worry about tools breaking, because there's often so much more going on in mod packs that you don't have to be spurred into continued mining and exploration for no reason than 'I need more diamonds to keep up my tools'.

Durability in Minecraft is why they never should have implemented hunger, which is one of the worst systems I've ever seen added to a game.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Sagebrush is about exploring the remnants of a suicide cult compound, and for a game made by a one man team, low res PSX type throwback, it's surprisingly harrowing and atmospheric to the point where I started to dread the sun going down...

But moreso than that, it made me happy when I came across a makeshift baseball diamond and got an achievement for running the bases.

It's up with with getting an achievement for shooting the deer head off the wall in Dead Space 3 in predicting dumb gamer behaviour.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
INFRA has an achievement for throwing yourself off the top floor of your office building in the very beginning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When you play it during the story, you're stuck with whatever party you have at the time, but if you do two playthroughs on the same file you unlock an Ancient Cave only mode where you can pick your party.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, every cutscene has a bunch of knights followed by Henry trundling into the scene with his gormless face and tattered, bloodsoaked peasant rags. It really makes the scenes where noblemen yell at him and he beats the poo poo out of them that much better :allears:

Also I like that people keep saying "dude you actually need to stop punching the nobility" but the game keeps letting me. I will never stop accepting duels and starting brawls

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Danaru posted:

In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, every cutscene has a bunch of knights followed by Henry trundling into the scene with his gormless face and tattered, bloodsoaked peasant rags. It really makes the scenes where noblemen yell at him and he beats the poo poo out of them that much better :allears:

Also I like that people keep saying "dude you actually need to stop punching the nobility" but the game keeps letting me. I will never stop accepting duels and starting brawls

I only got up to the bit where you save the shithead noble whilst out hunting, and I really like his portrayal. The idea of nobles being better than peasants is so baked into him that he doesnt even realise what a dick he is.

Is it worth having another crack at it if I found every cutscene interminably slow and tedious?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I only got up to the bit where you save the shithead noble whilst out hunting, and I really like his portrayal. The idea of nobles being better than peasants is so baked into him that he doesnt even realise what a dick he is.

Is it worth having another crack at it if I found every cutscene interminably slow and tedious?

I'm not too far ahead of you, but the cutscene to fun ratio is definitely improving as the game goes on. I even got a side quest that's just "I'll pay you for Cuman ears, go have fun ya rascal" from Captain Bernard or whatever his name is :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I managed to actually get genuinely scared while playing Far Cry 4 and I'm impressed with it - I was exploring the mountains for a letter, and found a waterfall into a sheer, deep cave - more like a hole, just a vertical shaft filled with water, and it linked to underground cave systems.

And I was poking around it and accidentally fell in, and that pulled up the memories of things I've learned about how dangerous cave diving is, and how I saw a video taken by a diver who went too deep and never came back up - they got the video off of his body.

I actually got kind of freaked out and scrambled to get out of the water and of course, on the way out of that deep hole one of the side-caverns had a corpse and a giant statue's face. Just the face. Thanks, Far Cry. This game is 97% run-n-gun fun, and 3% actually effective moments. (1% Longinus, 2% random things in the map)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Decided to attempt venturing into Hyrule Castle and the way the map changes when you step in is neat. I haven't visited a divine beast yet so maybe it does it there too but this is the first I saw it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

Decided to attempt venturing into Hyrule Castle and the way the map changes when you step in is neat. I haven't visited a divine beast yet so maybe it does it there too but this is the first I saw it

Divine beasts are similar, and you can also do neat things on the maps when inside of them. I say this not as a spoiler but as a tip, because I took an embarrassing amount of time to figure out I could manipulate the beasts on the map screen, and it’s required to go through them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Durability in Minecraft is why they never should have implemented hunger, which is one of the worst systems I've ever seen added to a game.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I never really got into Minecraft to begin with, but hunger certainly didn't help (yeah I know you can turn it off now).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, I was wondering why knocking enemies into the water when boarding enemy ships counted as killing them. Then I waited to watch what happened to one enemy captain I spartan kicked into the water.

Unlike you, enemies can't climb back onto the ship. Or defend themselves. Several seconds after an enemy falls into the water, a shark comes along and grabs them. :allears:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

So in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, I was wondering why knocking enemies into the water when boarding enemy ships counted as killing them. Then I waited to watch what happened to one enemy captain I spartan kicked into the water.

Unlike you, enemies can't climb back onto the ship. Or defend themselves. Several seconds after an enemy falls into the water, a shark comes along and grabs them. :allears:

Hoo hee hallby honnnnj!!!!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Back in the day a lot of people (including sailors) had no idea how to swim, too.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

John Murdoch posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I never really got into Minecraft to begin with, but hunger certainly didn't help (yeah I know you can turn it off now).

Durability makes you go down, hunger makes you go back up. Vanilla Minecraft.

There's not much game in there besides the legos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HPanda posted:

Divine beasts are similar, and you can also do neat things on the maps when inside of them. I say this not as a spoiler but as a tip, because I took an embarrassing amount of time to figure out I could manipulate the beasts on the map screen, and it’s required to go through them.

Just finished the bird helicarrier and that was really neat but entirely too short.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm playing the witcher 3 again and I just had an interaction with an NPC who was blocking access to a quest item, and the dialogue options were essentially "I'll pay you", "Get the gently caress out of my way", or a skill-based persuasion attempt. None of those options really fit, but there was an optional dialogue path that let me ask them what was going on. They told me the situation, and a brand new option appeared: "Let me help you with that". It feels way more natural and flexible than most other dialogue-heavy RPGs I've played where you feel trapped into awkward polarised dichotomies or the neutral "Hm. That seems fair." option that, once clicked, suddenly becomes something unexpected like "Hm. That seems fair, you pustulent sack of rotting paedocock"

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Dec 2, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The fact that every single side quest (mostly) in witcher 3 has it's own little story that you can dig into is fantastic. There are no 'collect 10 bear asses' quests. Instead the generic 'go kill this monster' quests always involve at least a bit of stuff to make them feel unique, and I'm not talking about when you have to use batman detective vision to follow stink trails. I remember fondly one where a poor kid was traumatized by a monster attack and Geralt had to break down his jaded tough guy approach and help the kid feel better so the kid would tell him what the monster was.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Any time Geralt lets out a long sigh before accepting a quest, you know you're going to have a good time.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The next quest given after the prior one was to find the guy's dumb goat, and he wouldn't help me until I found it. I kept hammering the "get hosed, I'm not looking for your goddamn goat" answers until we reached an impasse. The dialogue ended and I thought I'd just been forced into it, but then I couldn't figure out where the bloody goat was -- until I realised I had to go back, talk to the guy again, and say "Fine, I'll find your loving goat" to be able to continue with the quest. I'm playing it in a different language so the post-dialogue confusion was partly my fault, but I did like that you could 'fail' out of the proper steps of a core quest by playing in character and then recover it again, still in character

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Dec 2, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can kill the bear that dangers the goat before starting the quest, and Geralt will comment on that fact. If this were a Rockstar game you'd get a bronze medal for not killing the bear inside 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I beat Disgaea 5 the other day, taking down the big ultra endgame boss, nothing left to do but go for collection and stuff and that's not my bag so I'm hanging it up and going back to Yakuza 0. Both games own.

Something both games have in common that I really appreciate but probably can't be considered a feature is that both instantly close with alt+f4 without hanging up or chugging for a second or anything. A common problem I have with PC games is having to hit more than one button to exit the game.

poo poo like having to go 'quit to title screen' then press start to get the menu to come up THEN select quit to desktop and yes to confirm. So I mostly just alt+f4 my games and it's nice when they just close neatly and instantly when i do that.