Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's also necessary for the HUD to have the name of the game permanently visible, so that you never forget the name of the game you're playing.

In case your eyes wander, though, let's make sure it's actually on there twice.
...there we go, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

wat game is this

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wamdoodle posted:

wat game is this

I’ve never seen it before...but it’s some kind of “Dracula” themed FPS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why does dracula need a gun

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

wat game is this

It's Bram Stoker's Dracula for DOS and it's pretty bad. Just listen to the sound effect whenever an enemy is killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6YdTdW_VA

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ETPC posted:

stephen also mentioned that it wasen't just an art update they wanted, they wanted an art update that is AAA quality (think spyro re-ignited) which like, no??????????? gently caress off???????????

What? That's absurd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

It's Bram Stoker's Dracula for DOS and it's pretty bad. Just listen to the sound effect whenever an enemy is killed.

This clip is like watching a russian dash cam but for video game design

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's like an infinitely worse version of realms of the haunting which is itself kind of sketchy on certain fronts (but also pretty neat for various reasons)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That game seems totally fine except it's completely ruined by a single sound effect. Holy crap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallom posted:

That game seems totally fine except it's completely ruined by a single sound effect. Holy crap.

Clicking to pick up items and move them to two different inventories, with a third inventory they get automaitcally sorted into for only one variety of item, grabbing things through impassable walls, repeated textures making a fairly basic level path more confusing than it needs to be, click to open doors is same as fire and contextual, that sound effect

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gloomy Rube posted:

That makes me think of the HUD for Amulets and Armor, where they just had a waveform animating for absolutely no game purpose as space filler.

It's actually a hugely overcomplicated (and redundant) indicator of your mana reserves, hence its placement as part of the spellcasting UI.

skasion posted:

Yeah uh, I don’t miss the original Marathon HUD in the slightest

Neither do I, but Marathon itself was rad as hell and I wouldn't mind more games like it at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fallom posted:

It does seem to have dynamic music that warns the player that enemies are nearby, which many other games didn't have for many, many years.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ToxicFrog posted:

Neither do I, but Marathon itself was rad as hell and I wouldn't mind more games like it at all.

I love Marathon, but...like it in what sense? I wouldn't say no to a new old-school shooter with a space-opera setting since we already have Dusk for horror/weird fiction and Amid Evil for fantasy. On the other hand the most unique and memorable thing about Marathon as opposed to other series is its highly involved story, and that concept has been taken up in virtually every modern shooter up until the latest wave of deliberately story-light retro stuff.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Back again to invite you guys to play some more Half-Life multiplayer mods that are pretty much dead. Tonight it's going to be Front Line Force (v1.9). One of those military sim shooters that totally didn't appear because of the popularity of Counter-Strike or anything. We'll all be joining the server in about an hour and a half, so if you'd like to join up just get the 1.9 version installed with Half-Life on Steam and hop in to server.kuoushi.com:27015 at around 10pm PST.

Hope to see some of you guys there.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

I love Marathon, but...like it in what sense? I wouldn't say no to a new old-school shooter with a space-opera setting since we already have Dusk for horror/weird fiction and Amid Evil for fantasy. On the other hand the most unique and memorable thing about Marathon as opposed to other series is its highly involved story, and that concept has been taken up in virtually every modern shooter up until the latest wave of deliberately story-light retro stuff.

Was marathon's story good or just dense and complicated enough that you think it's good?
I think it was the 3rd game which (spoiler in case someone wants to play it) Starts with the impending doom of the everything and keeps jumping back in time to try and find a timeline where the sun doesn't explode and release a space monster but it also just had chapters of a unrelated book sprinkled through the game for no reason other than to make it confusing and the whole game just gets more and more complicated from repeated time travel.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Maybe I'm the odd man out but I never really liked the Marathon series as a whole. Bungie's patented convoluted, self important storytelling married with some stunningly uninspired visual and sound design just never really got my goat. I do quite like Marathon 2 though. After playing through it once and memorizing the levels it was really enjoyable the second time around.

I couldn't get into Marathon 1 because it looked and sounded hideous and Marathon 3 is....well, Marathon 3.

In Cool rear end Looking Mod News:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812440/HalfLife_Absolute_Zero/

Half Life Absolute Zero is coming out February 12th. It's a recreation of the original concepts for HL1 before Valve did their reboot/revamp in late 1997/1998. I've been tracking this one for a while and it's nice to see something nearing completion.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/hl2-ep2-enhased-mod

Half Life 2: MMod by Gunship Mark II has been in development for approx. 500,000 years and is finally coming out December 25th. New weapons, animations, particle effects, the works. Looks fancy! Hopefully will give the Half Life 2 arsenal the punch up it has needed since Mr Brightside's reanimation pack is never coming out.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-15

Quake 1.5 is a weapon/effects mod that seems to do something similar to MMod above. I think it looks badass. No release date yet but the author said info on a public beta is coming out soon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flannelette posted:

Was marathon's story good or just dense and complicated enough that you think it's good?

It’s the distinguishing feature of the series regardless of whether you like it or not, there’s really no other classic FPS that narratively driven until Unreal/Half-Life. You could make a case for System Shock but those are really more RPGs with guns.

I think the stories are interesting enough, especially M2. The means of conveying them is kind of primitive but they usually keep it fun enough to read, especially in M2 with the balance between Durandal’s odd codependent relationship texting, ancient didactic Spht lit, terse Pfhor communiques and Thoth’s bizarre ravings. They’re hardly great literature but they’re tolerably written sci-fi there to amuse/troll you while you click on brightly colored bugs. The durability/knife story from Infinity is there because you are dreaming batshit robodreams as you warp reality, it only confuses if you want to make some kind of deep revelation like “ooohhhh before he was battleroid the protagonist secretly worked at a hubcap factory”.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skasion posted:

FPSes that have exploration-focused rather than string-of-events-focused level design are pretty thin on the ground these days in general, if you take the intersection between (exploration focused level design) × (space opera setting) × (interesting storyline not told primarily by unskippable cutscenes of idiots blathering at each other) that leaves you with, what, Prey? And while Prey is fantastic it's much more a descendant of System Shock than Marathon.

Flannelette posted:

M1's was alright, M2's was good. MI's was divisive and is definitely harder to make sense of than M1/2's, but over the years I've warmed up to its bugfuck :catdrugs: time travel insanity.

And while you could reasonably argue that the Marathon plots are denser and more complicated than they need to be, there is a lot of substance there, it's not just complication for complication's sake or cover a lack of underlying content.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/hl2-ep2-enhased-mod

Half Life 2: MMod by Gunship Mark II has been in development for approx. 500,000 years and is finally coming out December 25th. New weapons, animations, particle effects, the works. Looks fancy! Hopefully will give the Half Life 2 arsenal the punch up it has needed since Mr Brightside's reanimation pack is never coming out.

The moddb page does absolutely nothing to explain what the mod actually does, so...what is it?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

zindryr posted:

Back again to invite you guys to play some more Half-Life multiplayer mods that are pretty much dead. Tonight it's going to be Front Line Force (v1.9). One of those military sim shooters that totally didn't appear because of the popularity of Counter-Strike or anything. We'll all be joining the server in about an hour and a half, so if you'd like to join up just get the 1.9 version installed with Half-Life on Steam and hop in to server.kuoushi.com:27015 at around 10pm PST.

Like usual, this was really cool. Thanks for putting this on each week. It's a bit late for me as an east coast goon, but I was glad I was able to get a couple rounds in.

I appreciate the reminders here, by the way.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Vakal posted:

I was being facetious but thank/curse you for the video

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://bit.ly/2Rsbko1

just wave your mouse around like a maniac.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If Bungie staff had been taught what a "visual novel" game was before they finished Marathon, it's be all they ever released from that point forward. The whole Marathon story reeks of wanting to be told in that fashion instead of terminals in a mediocre 2.5d engine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

If Bungie staff had been taught what a "visual novel" game was before they finished Marathon, it's be all they ever released from that point forward. The whole Marathon story reeks of wanting to be told in that fashion instead of terminals in a mediocre 2.5d engine.

uwu pfhor-chan what's that?!?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yes, the story is engaging and has some good writing but it's basically playing through a solid shooter (sort of solid shooter if you're playing 1) to find the next page of a book.

And then 3 just has stuff like this in it

This whole mess (spoilers again).
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/dream.html

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Why should they care that I'm talking, indeed.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 2, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't leave out the Story Page when talking about Marathon's story- it was one of the earliest examples of fans obsessively diving into a game and mining it for every last hint and implication, to the point that the game is significantly more comprehensible (especially 3) with it as a guide. Marathon probably would not be as famous or respected today without it.

As for a visual novel, the cutscenes in Oni have speaking characters represented by still-image placards instead of lip sync on the 3D characters so I think that technically counts.

Infinity is a trip in every sense of the word.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ToxicFrog posted:

The moddb page does absolutely nothing to explain what the mod actually does, so...what is it?
Did you not click the "Read More" button, because it's pretty much all there. It's a graphics/gameplay mod, using the original games' campaigns. Kind of like SMod, hence the name, I'd imagine. Notably, it'll come with a very in-depth config tool so you can tweak its various effects and gameplay changes to your personal taste. Def gonna replay HL2 finally when it's out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Underrated classic game moment: The elevator door opening to the research level in System Shock only to come face to face with about 10 pissed off mutants and realizing the best way to deal with them is to slap on a berserk combat enhancer patch and start cracking skulls with your lead pipe. :black101:

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

zindryr posted:

I need to start tagging along for these

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zindryr posted:

I knew a guy that did a map for FLF. I always thought it was waaay more fun than CS. :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FLF maps had some great chokepoint design that made the mod tons of fun to play, from what I remember.

Really wish these were happening in the right timezone for me. :rip:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Half-Life mods are the best. Action Half-Life has so many cool maps, I could live in some of those. In general Half-Life mods are the height of multiplayer mapping, that and the spirally Quake arenas.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Underrated classic game moment: The elevator door opening to the research level in System Shock only to come face to face with about 10 pissed off mutants and realizing the best way to deal with them is to slap on a berserk combat enhancer patch and start cracking skulls with your lead pipe. :black101:

That's definitely the most :black101: way to handle it, but arguably the best way is to toss a gas grenade into the middle of the crowd and then slap the "close door" button.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ToxicFrog posted:

That's definitely the most :black101: way to handle it, but arguably the best way is to toss a gas grenade into the middle of the crowd and then slap the "close door" button.

I did that once. I accidentally threw in a nitropack and didn't close the door fast enough. My corpse served Shodan well.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Half-life is a very good game. I need to get around one these multiplayer mods you guys are playing on the weekends. Makes me happy you guys are keeping it alive!

also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/a2dwtm/30_year_old_halflife_boomer/

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
This coming Saturday's going to be Earth's Special Forces (Beta 1.2.3), which is definitely one of the more hilarious things to exist in Goldsrc. One of these days they'll finish the 1.0 version. Not going to be before we play though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47O-887d2v4

Time to think about 20 year old games some more....

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Flannelette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47O-887d2v4

what port are they running this on?

edit: oh gdx, wasnt there a problem with this engine compared to the original dos version or am i thinking of something else? thinking about starting it up since nightdrive have gone all quiet on whatever it was they were doing.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 3, 2018

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Flannelette posted:

-me, every day, right when my head pops off the pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

-me, every day, right when my head pops off the pillow

Goddamn right