Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ImPureAwesome posted:

If you have a good coach the team would like to keep them long term instead of every off-season being a massive bidding war for playoff coaches

I’d understand bidding wars on proven talent but not unknown/unproven entities. I guess what I’m asking is, has any team ever given a coach a 10-year deal besides Gruden, even if they were proven winners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’d understand bidding wars on proven talent but not unknown/unproven entities. I guess what I’m asking is, has any team ever given a coach a 10-year deal besides Gruden, even if they were proven winners?

Nobody can really say for sure because teams are not required to disclose coaching contracts. Realistically, I doubt anyone has ever done this. Not even Belichick is locked up for this long.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

Players wish they got contracts like head coaches. Head coach contracts are fully guaranteed, and the longest NFL contract ever was I think 7 years? (there's very little point in longer then a 5 year deal because that's the max length a signing bonus can be spread out).

NFL owners are allowed to be complete imbeciles. There was no reason for Mark Davis to give Gruden a 10 year contract at obscene pay. He decided he wanted the announcer guy as his head coach and threw an incredibly stupid contract at him and here we are, driving the Raiders back into the hole they had just climbed out of.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Reggie McKenzie is going to be in demand because the minute a player gets traded from the Raiders they turn into a star

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pretty sure Garrett is safe now. I wonder if that puts Lincoln Reily in play elsewhere.....

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mcmagic posted:

Pretty sure Garrett is safe now. I wonder if that puts Lincoln Reily in play elsewhere.....

Pretty sure Haslam would give him an ownership stake at this point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol what the gently caress is even going on in Texas? Houston and Dallas are both somehow on the most improbable runs.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
The football gods will give short-term success to ensure long-term dysfunctionality.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mcmagic posted:

Safe for now. Watch a playoff implosion happen, and things heat up again.

That said, Stugotz of all people brought up an interesting question:

Assuming the Packers fire Fat Mike, you're Lincoln Reily, and the Browns and Packers come knocking, who do you go with?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Do not take shots at Stugotz.

His army is powerful

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

iospace posted:

Safe for now. Watch a playoff implosion happen, and things heat up again.

That said, Stugotz of all people brought up an interesting question:

Assuming the Packers fire Fat Mike, you're Lincoln Reily, and the Browns and Packers come knocking, who do you go with?

Browns, 100% Browns

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Where the hell is Vance Joseph sitting?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
On a horse's rear end.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

On a horse's rear end.

I don't recall that being a category.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't recall that being a category.

Is a horse's rear end*

Autocorrect gets us all.

E: But realistically, it's the jets. They're just as much a product of their swamped Jersey shithole as any management/institutional rot. They'll just replace bowles with a mcadoo 2.0, go into yet another 5-year rebuild where they suck but it's totally on purpose this time you guys, then hire on the corpse of hue jackson to lead them to glory.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 30, 2018

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

latinotwink1997 posted:

The Eagles gave Joe Kucharich a 15-year contract extension after going 9-5 in 1966. It did not turn out well.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The process in which the NFL goes about identifying and grooming potential head coaches is extremely bad:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1069230265581690880

Note: He did not receive "rave reviews" from anyone other than maybe his parents.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1069229854468513792

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Welp, seems about right

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

See you in hell, Ron Rivera.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Put Ron on the hot seat if they lose today.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a tightening noose in tweet form

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1069339502806749184

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Fat Mike even make it to Black Monday at this rate?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Fat Mike somehow isn't fired this year he's never gonna be fired.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Sheen Sheen posted:

I’m sure Dick Jauron isn’t doing anything right now :v:

They probably have had worse coaches statistically but, Jauron is the only coach for which I squealed with joy when I heard he was fired.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

Does Fat Mike even make it to Black Monday at this rate?

Yeah because there's like no benefit to firing a coach midseason in the NFL

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

a neat cape posted:

Unless the lockerroom or fanbase are about to riot. There's not enough give a gently caress on the Packers to result in a riot

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

pasaluki posted:

They probably have had worse coaches statistically but, Jauron is the only coach for which I squealed with joy when I heard he was fired.
It certainly was a relief, considering we kept him a full year and a half too long. Conservatively speaking.

Makes sense to me. The Panthers were, a month ago, looking like a lock for a wild card with an outside shot at toppling the Saints for the division(that's being optimistic, of course, but just saying). Now they've lost, what? 3-4 straight and look likely to miss the playoffs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a neat cape posted:

WEEEEEELLLLLLP

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1069381330457321473

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I uh, should probably bang out an update tonight

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:eyepop:

I did not expect to see that but I guess after that pathetic performance against the worst team in the league

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wow.

what is really the point though?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

wow.

I have to imagine Rodgers walked into the GM"s office and said, loving do it already.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fat Mike going is sure a surprise

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy this has been a wild season.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
mccarthy should have been fired after he singlehandedly lost the packers the 2014 nfc championship

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
RIP Fat Mike.

Sometimes I re-read WYTS and this one Packers fan in 2016 being upset people make fun of McCarthy and Thompson was funny then and is even funnier now

quote:

With each passing year that doesn’t end in a 19-0 record, this fanbase repeats its yearly trite demands:

“The Packers are wasting Rodgers prime” (8 different teams/QBs have won a Super Bowl in Rodgers 8 seasons as a starter).

“Ted Thompson needs to sign more free agents” (The 2015 Broncos are an exception to the rule, and for the most part you cannot buy a championship AND be contenders every year for a decade.)

“Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers should be fired” (Thompson is a top 3 GM and McCarthy would be hired within SECONDS by any of the other 31 teams if he were to be fired.)

I admit to being disappointed by each season that doesn’t end in a championship but for Christ sake, 90% of this fanbase thinks winning a championship is a science and that luck isnt involved just a little bit. We are the most spoiled fan base in the NFL and if karma does exist we will get 30 years of poo poo QB play once Rodgers retires.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FizFashizzle posted:

wow.

Guy can spend the holidays with his family instead of watching film for some meaningless Week 16/17 games?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So what are the odds a team hires Fat Mike as HC again this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joe Philbin gonna prove all the doubters wrong