Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Krankenstyle posted:

mobile processors have historically demonstrated that theyre really good at playing 4K or even HD video...

...NOT

Mobile processors are great at playing 4K or even HD video, what are you talking about.

Is this just an Apple-informed opinion, where third-party players aren't able to utilize hardware decoding for any non-Apple sanctioned container formats? Don't base your opinion on bad software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

windows server 1809 (semi-annual channel) is available in visual studio subscriptions (MSDN) but the provided product key doesn't work. it lists the same key as for 1803 which is what you'd kinda expect but apparently it's a "server 2016" key and 1809 is "server 2019" so it doesn't work.

basically microsoft hosed up pivoting to this new service channel arrangement much like everything else they've done in recent memory

100% of everything about the server 2019 launch has been bungled to high heaven. they skipped an RTM release because reasons so no OEMs received it before GA, which means there's no way to buy it with a new server and no official OEM supported drivers for it either.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wtf is going on in Redmond??

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

Is netflix seriously going to bother developing an app for the switch itself considering what a pain it probably is to develop for compared to other platforms since it's Nintendo?

the Switch already has a working Chromium so you can log on to captive portal wifi, Netflix is a Chromium app on most platforms

edit: I guess the question is whether or not the Switch Chromium has the video decoding wired up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do they have to license the vp9, etc. decoders to package with chomium?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudorandom name posted:

the Switch already has a working Chromium so you can log on to captive portal wifi, Netflix is a Chromium app on most platforms

edit: I guess the question is whether or not the Switch Chromium has the video decoding wired up

they've developed an app for every nintendo platform since the wii, including the 3ds

hell, they developed an app for the ps3 and that thing is an absolute loving nightmare to program for

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I feel like it's probably getting held up over a dumb thing like Nintendo asking for data on the shows people watch and netflix refusing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

do they have to license the vp9, etc. decoders to package with chomium?

I think basically every platform Netflix supports comes with a built-in video codec so they don't have to license anything on the client side, and you don't have to license VP9 anywhere.

The Tegra X1 has hardware HEVC, H.264 and VP9 decoders, that seems like the kind of thing that games would want to use for cutscenes.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

I feel like it's probably getting held up over a dumb thing like Nintendo asking for data on the shows people watch and netflix refusing

more likely it's because nintendo wants more money to host/offer the app and netflix is being cheap

either that or netflix's dev team doesn't have the resources to develop for a new platform and is dragging their feet

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

wtf is going on in Redmond??

an unqualified guess would be they were busy porting everything to linux and not going to make windows server in future

more realistically: someone mentioned you can’t poo poo on your enterprise customers in the server world like you can with their desktops and some qa should be implemented

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

except they can and do and the only reason it seems like they don't is not having waterfall feature updates for server

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pseudorandom name posted:

Er what? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t cause I’ve tried logging on to one and it just did the “oops no web view sorry you can’t use this WiFi” poo poo that their last consoles did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the switch is using netfont NX, which is webkit based, per nintendo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

the switch is using netfont NX, which is webkit based, per nintendo

then why can’t it bring up a login page for a captive portal wifi network

seems like such a simple thing even if it wasn’t WebKit based

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it can and does tho?

unless they removed that in an update because it was being exploited

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i *think* it has it now and in the past, but there was a window where they just killed it off due to exploits yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i *think* it has it now and in the past, but there was a window where they just killed it off due to exploits yeah
That's pretty drastic, wow.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Nintendo is terrible at software, they should simply accept this fact and stop trying to secure their systems. Keep pumping out creatively bankrupt sequels to franchises established in the 90s and keep raking in the dough.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol @ nintendo being creatively bankrupt

meanwhile, in console land players eagerly await the release of battlefield 6, black ops 5, madden/nba/fifa 2k20, halo infinite, marvel/dc cash-in property #23a, remastered 90s platformer collection 2, untitled hideo kojima movie, and desperate imitation of a nintendo compilation device among other iterative microtransation-laden console trash

nintendo gaming products are the best, bar none

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

nyt has an interesting look at msfts renaissance under satya: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/technology/microsoft-apple-worth-how.html

mostly confirming what yospos has been saying (dumping poo poo that doesnt work like winpho and concentrating on core enterprise growth) but nice to see collected in one place

didn’t satya write 5000 words saying he wouldn’t kill a single thing? windows phone died despite microsoft’s best efforts

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

sega does what nintendont

sega was always willing to make some weird rear end poo poo

not that it was always good but eh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the article talks about xbox under the section “walking away from losing bets” and mentions it only makes up 10% of their revenue

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

PleasureKevin posted:

didn’t satya write 5000 words saying he wouldn’t kill a single thing? windows phone died despite microsoft’s best efforts

despite microsoft’s best efforts? nah.

satya wasn't about to follow through with ballmer's plan to pour more billions of dollars into windows phone, and he basically started on day one the long process of gracefully killing windows phone and extricating microsoft from the multi-billion dollar nokia deal that ballmer and the board dumped on him.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Nintendo is terrible at software, they should simply accept this fact and stop trying to secure their systems. Keep pumping out creatively bankrupt sequels to franchises established in the 90s and keep raking in the dough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5X8qDDMC-o

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lambert posted:

this isn’t the Reddit quote thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
meanwhile, in console land players eagerly await the release of mario 20, zelda 16, mario kart 9, and smash bros 5

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

and pokemon 2,000

at least nintendo iteratively improves each time and doesn't release on a yearly cycle.

also let's go eevee is my favourite game this year, so wholesome

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
please don't smear nintendo gaming devices with the epithet "console"

that is reserved for the garbage products made by sony and microsoft

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

meanwhile, in console land players eagerly await the release of mario 20, zelda 16, mario kart 9, and smash bros 5

hell yeah!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I know, I know web comics but this will never not be accurate

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a link between worlds was better than breath of the wild -> the downward slide has started

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

just lol at anyone who doesnt like breath of the wild.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hey check out my coffee breath of the wild "breathes out"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

just lol at anyone who doesnt like breath of the wild.

i like breath of the wild, link between worlds was *so* good though

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
personally I hate skub

gently caress you skub havers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
haven't played a zelda game since link to the past

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

haven't played a zelda game since link to the past

play link between worlds, nintendo went "what if lttp but better in every way?"

quite explicitly, it reuses nothing, but constantly refers to and plays around with the themes of lttp

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I've never played a single Zelda game

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

orange sky posted:

I've never played a single Zelda game
same. can i get a gamer hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"i hate joy and pleasure and quality so i deliberately avoid nintendo games and gaming platforms"

gamers truly are the worst, why deny yourself good things?