Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pidan posted:

Sorry, I actually meant Haraldr Fairhair, Jarl of Ostlandet, and it's because it's a good start to expand, reform the religion, and enjoy the pagan lifestyle.

Also he has the quick trait, is very young but an adult, has a decent bloodline, and isnt entangled in any scripted prepared invasions like the ragnar bros are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh so THAT'S why I end up with underage kids giving birth at random!
Huh. I don't know, never seen that myself. I don't think the engine will roll pregnancies for non-adults even if they somehow end up married or lovers, but I suppose other events could fire for lovers that might force the issue.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Thinking of getting back into this game with Holy Fury. I haven't picked up a DLC since Reaper's Due - are Jade Dragon or Monks and Mystics worthwhile? I don't have much interest in playing near Asia and when I last played people were pretty down on Monks and Mystics for being gimmicky, but maybe they've patched since?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

M&M is pretty great now, Societies are a bunch of fun.

I'd also recommend Jade Dragon, since it interacts with half the world given the Silk Road. Plus the China mechanics are neat if a bit imbalanced.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I dunno when you last looked into opinion on Monks & Mystics, but when it launched, Satanist societes were super overpowered. They've been toned down a bit since then, made more of a "high risk high reward" thing instead of just being "kidnap and murder anyone you want super easily." The other, still ongoing problem with Monks and Mystics is that secret religious societies tend to snowball to insane sizes in large realms and if you don't occasionally set your court chaplain to hunt for apostates, you will eventually have a situation where like, you're England and half your vassals are secretly Sunni and at that point it's a massive headache to correct. It can be fun if you roll with it, but it's also rather silly, even by CK2 standards. Luckily, you can turn off secret religious cults with a game rule if that's to your liking. Overall, I love the addition of societies.

Jade Dragon is fun but if you're not within diplomatic range of China (basically anywhere from Constantinople eastwards, unless China gets really aggressively expansionistic) then I don't think it adds anything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh so THAT'S why I end up with underage kids giving birth at random!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
OKay so I realized my council problem was because I didn't realize that when I was told "it will say why they're cockblocking you" that it shows them on the tool tip for their stance on the issue.

Thought that creates new questions like "Claim The Tesco Parking Lot" is opposed by a counciler because they don't want me to "weaken the realm".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

snoremac posted:

Is it normal in a Charlemagne-era start for the Umayyad to dominate? As of 1008 they stretch from the borders of Ghana to Bohemia (which is also massive). The Spanish kingdoms never surfaced and France doesn't exist anymore. Even tucked up in Scotland & Ireland I'm getting a little worried about them.

Theoretically Holy Fury gives Christianity a bit more of a chance, with the reconquista on one side and Teutonic Knights and mass conversion on the other, but nobody's really reported on how well those stem the tide yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me, when does Scotland stop being Pictland? It just bugs me seeing that because the Picts were a people that bothered the Romans. I could have sworn they were gone by the time of the Norman Invasion.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, when does Scotland stop being Pictland? It just bugs me seeing that because the Picts were a people that bothered the Romans. I could have sworn they were gone by the time of the Norman Invasion.

Once they stop being Picts, if I remember.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

There are a bunch of cultures that shift over time from the Charlemagne start - it's a pre-designated event thing. Picts become Scots unless there's a particularly powerful Pictish ruler controlling the realm (Emperor level). So basically the cultures will always die out naturally unless something wildly ahistorical happens that preserves them.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Theoretically Holy Fury gives Christianity a bit more of a chance, with the reconquista on one side and Teutonic Knights and mass conversion on the other, but nobody's really reported on how well those stem the tide yet.

I had the reconquista pop up in my most recent campaign with 1500 guys in one barony and do absolutely nothing because the Umayyads own basically all of Iberia except for the parts I conquered from them myself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Pictish provinces will culture flip to Scottish after some time, unless they're ruled by a powerful Pict ruler, meaning the ruler must either be an emperor, or hold at least two kingdom titles. Once Pictish culture flips to Scottish, characters will also culture change to Scottish. If Pictland is ruled by a non-Pict, it will flip to Scotland.

Which year is it?

twistedmentat posted:

Thought that creates new questions like "Claim The Tesco Parking Lot" is opposed by a counciler because they don't want me to "weaken the realm".

What do you want to do here? Some councilors don't like you attacking an enemy with more troops than you, some don't like you attacking an enemy with less troops than you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing about the Reconquista is that it's not the same thing as a crusade where any Christian ruler can join in - ONLY Iberian cultures can participate, and in the Charlemagne start that means it's literally just the one remaining christian kingdom. Even with a bunch of free event troops it's still an uphill battle for them, especially if it's under AI control where they won't be nearly as aggressive/smart about it as a player would.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There are a bunch of cultures that shift over time from the Charlemagne start - it's a pre-designated event thing. Picts become Scots unless there's a particularly powerful Pictish ruler controlling the realm (Emperor level). So basically the cultures will always die out naturally unless something wildly ahistorical happens that preserves them.

Did they change it for Holy Fury? Last I checked Picts-to-Scots was simply "a Pictish county controlled by a non-Pict" (unless there's a powerful emperor). Looking at it right now, there's a "should_evolve_cultures_trigger" that I've never seen before, is that automatically making them flip?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

Pictish provinces will culture flip to Scottish after some time, unless they're ruled by a powerful Pict ruler, meaning the ruler must either be an emperor, or hold at least two kingdom titles. Once Pictish culture flips to Scottish, characters will also culture change to Scottish. If Pictland is ruled by a non-Pict, it will flip to Scotland.

Which year is it?

1051. What you guys are describing is probably going to happen fairly soon.

quote:

What do you want to do here? Some councilors don't like you attacking an enemy with more troops than you, some don't like you attacking an enemy with less troops than you.

I have more men than the Scots, so its probably something I'm not seeing. At least I have some idea how to deal with my councilers.

Is there a way i can stop losing Wales everytime my monarch dies?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 2, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of pictland, when I formed Britannia it created the Empire of Alba. Will that change to Britannia at some point or will a pictish emperor stop that too?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Azhais posted:

On the topic of pictland, when I formed Britannia it created the Empire of Alba. Will that change to Britannia at some point or will a pictish emperor stop that too?

Alba is what Britannia is called if your Pictish, Irish, or Scottish (and maybe Breton, I forget.)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pakled posted:

Jade Dragon is fun but if you're not within diplomatic range of China (basically anywhere from Constantinople eastwards, unless China gets really aggressively expansionistic) then I don't think it adds anything.

You do still get the new CBs. I haven't really used them much but they look like they'd be nice for when you're in some place like Ireland where otherwise you're relying solely on claims.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My idiot brother just managed to lose half of wales to the English. I worked so drat hard to gain that territory.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Did they change it for Holy Fury? Last I checked Picts-to-Scots was simply "a Pictish county controlled by a non-Pict" (unless there's a powerful emperor). Looking at it right now, there's a "should_evolve_cultures_trigger" that I've never seen before, is that automatically making them flip?

I think it's always worked like this - the "Pictish county controlled by a non-Pict" would accelerate the process but it would flip naturally even under entirely Pictish lords, unless they are powerful enough to block it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why would you ever want to stop being Picts, really. It's like being Irish, you get a bunch of weird names and none of your counties have pronounceable names.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Little bugs are annoying. :mad: Right now you can't nominate your children for elective titles if their other parent is a candidate.

Also, it's dishonorable to challenge women to a duel even if you're also a woman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, now that i know how to uncover plots, what do I do about them? I can't imprison the plotters, because I have an tiny chance of that working, and plotting to kill them takes too long and his hit or miss.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, now that i know how to uncover plots, what do I do about them? I can't imprison the plotters, because I have an tiny chance of that working, and plotting to kill them takes too long and his hit or miss.

Depending on how much they like you, you can often just ask them to stop. In the diplomatic options with someone who's leading a plot there's an "end plot" option, and if they're backing a plot there's a "stop backing plot" option. So even if the plot leader hates your guts, you might be able to take all the wind out of their sails by getting the stronger backers to drop out.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 2, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

In addition to asking them to stop as The Cheshire Cat said, trying and failing to imprison them isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they're a landed vassal, if you try and fail to imprison them for any reason, they'll rise up in rebellion against you. These wars are usually super easy unless like, they're a mega-powerful vassal or there's some other war going on. When you win the war, they automatically become imprisoned by you and you can revoke two titles of theirs tyranny-free.

Be aware, though, that any other vassals of yours that they're allied with can join them in the war, but after the war's over, you have an imprisonment reason against them too.

If they're not a landed vassal and you fail to imprison them, they flee to a foreign court where you can't imprison them and so your options are more limited.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

My experience so far has been that if Francia/HRE forms, then Catholicism has a bright future ahead of it. If not, then you, the player, are probably going to have to single handedly beat back the tide of Islam because the Catholic states will, in typical CK2 fashion, be so wrapped up in petty dick measuring that they won't be able to stop the Umayyids/Abbasids from conquering everything.

Or, you know, just accept the truth that there is one God and Mohammed is his prophet and be Sunni Irish or whatever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

1051. What you guys are describing is probably going to happen fairly soon.

Oh? That's very late, the event most likely should have fired before that time. I guess the patch messed this up, as catlord's post implies.

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a way i can stop losing Wales everytime my monarch dies?

Yes. Do you still have gavelkind succession for your Irish king title? If so, it automatically splits up your titles. If you have changed that to primogeniture/ultimogeniture/tanistry, great! No more title loss.

BUT, each kingdom has it's own succession law. I guess it's most likely that the kingdom of Wales still had gavelkind succession, which lead to your idiot brother inheriting. When you next acquire Wales, be sure to change it's inheritance to the same your Irish kingdom uses, so that it doesn't happen again.

You can change inheritance laws in your laws title, it's the very first page. If you have two kingdoms, you can switch between them by clicking on the respective coat of arms at the top of that page.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

On the topic of broken DHEs, has anyone seen any of the turkish warlords fire recently? I don't think I have since like... conclave or way of life

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Fuligin posted:

On the topic of broken DHEs, has anyone seen any of the turkish warlords fire recently? I don't think I have since like... conclave or way of life

Seljuk fired in my Africa game and then immediately got ganked before he could conquer anything

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MaxieSatan posted:

Seljuk fired in my Africa game and then immediately got ganked before he could conquer anything

Yeah I feel like it's been that way for a while - the "great conqueror" events I think still scale their armies to their target the same way the Shia uprising does, rather than just getting a giant unstoppable doomstack like the Aztecs, so very frequently they just fall flat on their face and unlike the Shia uprising, they don't get more chances again later.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Fuligin posted:

I had Seljuk and Sabuktigin both in my most recent game. The requirements for them to fire are kind of strict though, especially with India or nomads often invading that part of that map.

Seljuk was pathetic against the massive Indian empire next door. Sabuktigin despite starting with even more event troops is about to suffer the same fate.

e: I should point out I'm not playing this Indian Empire. It seems like Pratihara forms as a huge empire without fail every game now.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 2, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

e: I should point out I'm not playing this Indian Empire. It seems like Pratihara forms as a huge empire without fail every game now.
I've seen that too. In my current game they've got the entire upper half of India, plus most of Persia.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In general I think India is way overtuned in terms of province wealth and its holdings. Followers of Arjuna used to be available from any start date and would also just clown on any muslims trying to break into the subcontinent, but I think they fixed that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strudel Man posted:

Some of the coronation events may not be suitably aware that children can occasionally go through them.

I knew Catholics were getting a rework in this expansion, but that's going a bit far.

Re: Forming Britannia - I think it's Prydain for Bretons. I know it is for the Welsh, but it's been a long time since I took Haesteinn to Wales before Ireland.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fuligin posted:

In general I think India is way overtuned in terms of province wealth and its holdings. Followers of Arjuna used to be available from any start date and would also just clown on any muslims trying to break into the subcontinent, but I think they fixed that.

Yeah, you need a lot of provinces in India to form the holy orders before 1100. Afterwards, it just costs a bit prestige.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It's definitely Prydain for the Bretons as well.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Strudel Man posted:

Little bugs are annoying. :mad: Right now you can't nominate your children for elective titles if their other parent is a candidate.

Also, it's dishonorable to challenge women to a duel even if you're also a woman.

It's also dishonorable to duel someone old even if you're older. He's 52 and I'm 77. Pick up that goddamn axe you wuss.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

Why this particularly?

gonna give a shout out to my man, riklfur ulfing, count of ostergotland.

young adult, content and never stressed, usually a good/great martial score and pretty much guaranteed to become a berzerker.

just loot and pillage and terrorize most of europe 'til old man ironside dies, then forge your own path from the top of a massive warchest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I like how the obituary of your ruler rarely matches your perception of them. My ruler was a virtuous man with lots of loyal friends (enough to unlock the Yes Men achievement), good to the Church, and made significant territorial gains including a new kingdom title. He’s remembered as a raving madman everyone is quietly glad to be rid of. I can’t recall anything in that vein happening.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 2, 2018