Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody owned/used both a JBL Flip 3 and 4? I have a Flip 4 that is a defective pos and I lost the receipt so I don't think it'll be covered under warranty, but I still liked it so much otherwise I ordered another one on Amazon lol, just to realize that I accidentally ordered a Flip 3.

The difference probably barely matters at all, but I'm still kind of annoyed and debating whether or not I should return it. Haven't even opened it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's been a long time since i dealt with them, but I want to say the biggest difference is water resistance, the flip 4 can be fully submerged while the 3 is just generically water "resistant."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not sure if it is a big enough topic to deserve its own thread and where, but why and how do people get away with advertising and marketing pharmaceutical drugs on American TV and online?

Having traveled to multiple countries and now living long-term abroad, it seems completely bizarre now as an American that anyone besides your doctor or an otherwise actual medical professional should be recommending what kind of medication you should be taking.

Patients should not be peddled drugs directly and end up feeling responsible for directing their doctors for a specific drug, this relationship seems completely backwards. Isn't that just asking for drug-seeking behavior before a patient even becomes dependent on a drug? Doesn't that seem kind of... irresponsible for a society to encourage?

Yes, I know in my gut the answer has to do with money, but is America so completely hosed up and infested by lobbying and private business interest money that Americans don't even realize that their influence is absolute and total? It's just hard to fathom now.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 1, 2018

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Having traveled to other countries you should already understand that the United States is weird when it comes to healthcare. The idea of healthcare as a fundamental right is only just starting to take hold, and only then if you call it Medicare for all instead of something scary like universal healthcare because that’s communism and communism is one of the seven deadly sins.

The FDA might have something to say against commercials but again because of money and stupid ideas they are frequently hamstrung-for example they can’t say anything or do anything about supplements because the supplement industry lobbied for a law exempting them from the FDA’s jurisdiction and people loved it because that nanny state is always trying to act like a communist and tell people what to do.

Some people acknowledge that our society has problems but FYGM is very much an American ethos, especially among boomers who have outsized influence. Add to that that many Americans believe themselves to be temporarily embarrassed millionaires (I could be rich if I felt like it but I just don’t feel like working that hard right now) and they will happily vote against things that even slightly inconvenience rich people or large companies that make money for rich people.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

it seems completely bizarre now as an American that anyone besides your doctor or an otherwise actual medical professional should be recommending what kind of medication you should be taking.

that's why the commercials for drug X say "ask your doctor about X"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Not sure if it is a big enough topic to deserve its own thread and where, but why and how do people get away with advertising and marketing pharmaceutical drugs on American TV and online?

Having traveled to multiple countries and now living long-term abroad, it seems completely bizarre now as an American that anyone besides your doctor or an otherwise actual medical professional should be recommending what kind of medication you should be taking.

Patients should not be peddled drugs directly and end up feeling responsible for directing their doctors for a specific drug, this relationship seems completely backwards. Isn't that just asking for drug-seeking behavior before a patient even becomes dependent on a drug? Doesn't that seem kind of... irresponsible for a society to encourage?

Yes, I know in my gut the answer has to do with money, but is America so completely hosed up and infested by lobbying and private business interest money that Americans don't even realize that their influence is absolute and total? It's just hard to fathom now.

Americans don’t generally have any idea that money is absolutely destroying their lives. The same fuckers running pharmaceutical companies end up making policy via lobbying - they’re extremely powerful. Direct advertising isn’t even close to the most heinous practice in the pharma industry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Because it's not illegal? Just like it's not illegal in New Zealand. Unless the drug itself happens to be illegal, naturally.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I got a "You are blocked from following and viewing X's tweets" today.

Does this mean that the person blocked my Twitter account specifically?

I'm confused because (1) my Twitter account has always been private, (2) this person, a public figure, doesn't follow me, and (3) I've never tweeted at or about the person; in fact, I haven't tweeted in a year.

e: I did start following this person a few months ago, which could explain it. But the person has 15,000 followers and the public part of my profile isn't even remotely offensive or interesting. No idea what's going on here.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 1, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Vegetable posted:

I got a "You are blocked from following and viewing X's tweets" today.

Does this mean that the person blocked my Twitter account specifically?

I'm confused because (1) my Twitter account has always been private, (2) this person, a public figure, doesn't follow me, and (3) I've never tweeted at or about the person; in fact, I haven't tweeted in a year.

e: I did start following this person a few months ago, which could explain it. But the person has 15,000 followers and the public part of my profile isn't even remotely offensive or interesting. No idea what's going on here.
They probably started using a blocklist and you got autoblocked because you follow someone they consider to be bad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

They probably started using a blocklist and you got autoblocked because you follow someone they consider to be bad.
Thanks. Lol what a prissy thing to do

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable posted:

Thanks. Lol what a prissy thing to do

In theory sure, but once you've got hundreds of nazis tweeting at you constantly because you said something in the wrong twitter thread, it gets a lot easier to just say "ok these people all follow these same 4 or 5 nazi twitter stars, I'll find a blocklist that includes them and not have to deal with this anymore".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Back in 1997, the FDA basically declared open season for drug ads in the U.S. Vox did a video on it awhile ago, if you want a more in-depth answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jnn1AIt7Q

The healthcare system in America is completely and totally hosed in a myriad of different ways, and people are largely fine with it. We have private healthcare, but all the prices are set by a "Chargemaster," a document that is different for every healthcare provider, and is considered a loving trade secret. It's un-loving-believable what people here are willing to just roll over and take. But hey, :capitalism:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thanatosian posted:

Back in 1997, the FDA basically declared open season for drug ads in the U.S. Vox did a video on it awhile ago, if you want a more in-depth answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jnn1AIt7Q

The healthcare system in America is completely and totally hosed in a myriad of different ways, and people are largely fine with it. We have private healthcare, but all the prices are set by a "Chargemaster," a document that is different for every healthcare provider, and is considered a loving trade secret. It's un-loving-believable what people here are willing to just roll over and take. But hey, :capitalism:

Perfect! I'll check this video out later, thanks for that (and the feedback above)!

Every time I start to miss America, I remember how I couldn't afford to see a doctor or get insurance for pretty much my entire 20s and feel a sigh of relief. I just eat a hamburger and call it a day. I shiver every time I think about what my parents are dealing with as they keep getting older: health costs and difficulty in access to healthcare are good enough reasons alone to stay an expat abroad as an American.

poo poo, I tried to get Medicaid when I was flat broke in America and the hoops they make you jump through and the discrimination and palpable reprehension you face as a single childless minimum-wage working Poor in America are insane and impossible (by design, of course).

Hell, my dad even attempted to persuade my mom to commit Medicare fraud a few years before the minimum age for eligibility just because of the doughnut hole between age discrimination in the business consulting world for expected retirement age and Medicare eligibility age. It's really all hosed up.

I've also come to really enjoy the peace of mind that comes with not having to worry about anyone carrying a conceal carry weapon with where I live now since that's not even a concept that exists here. Not trying to be smug or anything, but it turns out what's even better than a "good guy with a gun" is basically nobody having guns around.

Kids carrying or people selling very realistic-looking toy guns here still weirds me the gently caress out, though, since in America people are so paranoid about kids having toy guns to the point that cops will shoot kids (especially if they're not white) out of fear for their own safety.

I think I'd get reverse culture shock at this point returning to America after a year and a half away and I don't know how I feel about that.

E: Oh yeah, the Chargemaster thing is really stupid and hosed too. Here, even without using insurance, the doctor's fee so you can see a doctor and get prescription medication is a flat fee of an equivalent of a little under $8.50 USD per visit, and that's been exactly the same across four different major hospitals I've visited in the capital city. That's really convenient by American standards!

You might need to wait 3-4 hours in the dreaded queue for a non-life-threatening emergency same-day appointment; but if you can schedule an appointment a week in advance you'll see the doctor at your scheduled time immediately, no problem. Same cheap price every time.

E2: Okay, I just found finished that Vox clip, and while I get their need to try to present both sides of the 'debate' to not appear biased I don't think the "empowering patient choice" argument holds water.

Yes, patients should do some basic research to make sure they aren't being misled or under-informed by a potential quack doctor, but generally patients shouldn't end up directing a doctor on what the doctor should do based on what a loving advertisement told them to do. The primary and inherent goal of a private business company is to make a monetary profit for it and its investors - that's it. That's... how capitalism works.

If it happens to benefit prices or society through competition or whatever, great but that's incidental and secondary relative to the primary objective of generating profit with minimized risk for that investment. Creating a monopoly or oligopoly and trapping consumers' balls in a vice through lobbying and jacking up prices on something that essentially has infinite elasticity (ie not wanting to die) also happens to minimize risk and maximize profit quite nicely too. If a company can maximize profit and beat the competition by some underhanded means and get away with it, they'll do it.

I'm no professional economist with only a few college economics classes under my belt, but this whole thing seems really stupid from a macroeconomic or societal perspective, no matter what the Chicago School economists or Mises libertarians say otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 2, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My cousin wants a PSN gift card for Christmas, but all I can find on Amazon is things called "Playstation Store" gift cards. Are those usable for PSN?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

My cousin wants a PSN gift card for Christmas, but all I can find on Amazon is things called "Playstation Store" gift cards. Are those usable for PSN?

Same thing, yes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Heads up: he might have meant he wants PSN Plus membership for online games and stuff. Just ask him real quick if he wants plus or the cash cards, cuz if he wants plus youu'll want to look for one of these cards instead:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those cards have always confused me because I'm pretty sure you can use funds from your wallet to pay for PS+ membership anyways. It might be easier or a better deal with the PS+ card, I'm not sure.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

if you can schedule an appointment a week in advance you'll see the doctor at your scheduled time immediately, no problem.

Is this an exaggeration, or have the doctors wherever you are managed to book people in a way that doesn't result in (what is in the US) a typical 15-60 minute delay from your actual appointment time before being seen?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Lawnie posted:

Analog and digital distortion effects have been common in music for a very long time. Does this sort of effect also bother you?

Yeah. Partly it's because I don't "get" it and that bothers me, but also it isn't like, "this is displeasing to me." It is offensive, like... I mean, it's different, but like, just endless fart sounds. I mean, not accompanied by a smell. That's more than displeasing, you would (I am assuming) feel a kind of physical reaction to it. That's what a lot of the autotune does. But other effects generally don't bother me... well, to be honest, I get kind of annoyed by a lot of metal guitarists' tricks where they double the sound and harmonize it. I guess I feel bamboozled by the LIES

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

credburn posted:

Yeah. Partly it's because I don't "get" it and that bothers me, but also it isn't like, "this is displeasing to me." It is offensive, like... I mean, it's different, but like, just endless fart sounds. I mean, not accompanied by a smell. That's more than displeasing, you would (I am assuming) feel a kind of physical reaction to it. That's what a lot of the autotune does. But other effects generally don't bother me... well, to be honest, I get kind of annoyed by a lot of metal guitarists' tricks where they double the sound and harmonize it. I guess I feel bamboozled by the LIES

I don't really have an answer to your original question, but I loving hate autotune too, at least when I can tell it's being used. Even when you're clearly meant to hear it being used, yeah it's super grating. I may or may not be on the autism spectrum, but I definitely have a raging case of ADHD (not self-diagnosed), so there's that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I took my dog out to play ball today and brought my old iPod so that I could listen to CBC radio (:canada:).

After playing with my dog we went back to the car. I was listening to a segment on technology. When I got into my car it was exactly 2:00.

I turned off my iPod and put on the car radio, which was playing the hourly news. I thought that the person being interviewed must have been cut off by the news, since he was in the middle of an explanation, so I turned my iPod back on, and he was still speaking.

The iPod still had the segment playing, the car had the hourly news. Both were set to 106.7 FM.

How did this happen? I assumed that the radio functioned the same, yet both were totally different.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Professor Shark posted:

I took my dog out to play ball today and brought my old iPod so that I could listen to CBC radio (:canada:).

After playing with my dog we went back to the car. I was listening to a segment on technology. When I got into my car it was exactly 2:00.

I turned off my iPod and put on the car radio, which was playing the hourly news. I thought that the person being interviewed must have been cut off by the news, since he was in the middle of an explanation, so I turned my iPod back on, and he was still speaking.

The iPod still had the segment playing, the car had the hourly news. Both were set to 106.7 FM.

How did this happen? I assumed that the radio functioned the same, yet both were totally different.

If you were in US, I'd say that with a newer car you might have had an HD Radio receiver in the car (and definitely not one in the iPod, Apple never supported it) and there can be slight timing differences between the analog and digital program. But I know Canada hasn't started to use that much even though a lot of cars have had the tuner in for use/sale in the US.

But, the only iPod that actually has the FM tuner is the iPod Nano, and the iPod Nano has a feature where you can set the device to record live FM radio off the air. And this includes a feature where you can do "live pause" by pressing pause while the regular fm radio is on, which switches to a mode where the iPod will record from that point forward and let you listen from where you left off by hitting play again. And some of the models of the iPod Nano made it easier to do this than others, but they all had it.

So probably one of the last times you used it, you either accidentally recorded the normal way, or accidentally activated live pause, and when you went to listen again you were listening from that recording. It'll sound basically the same as any interference or fading you get to listening live, so you wouldn't have even noticed it.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
What makes a muscle twitch? I've had a spot in my leg twitching on and off now for two weeks. What's physically happening in there to make this happen? I'm scared of blood clots.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's something like the motor neuron at that site isn't working properly or has some kind of damage or depolarization.

They're usually harmless, but on the rare occasion can be indicative of a more serious disease. As far as I'm aware, there's no particular connection between blood clots and muscle twitches.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They're usually called fasciculations, and are usually harmless. I've had them come and go for years and it usually depends on how much coffee I've had and/or exerting myself in an unusual way.

fishmech posted:

If you were in US, I'd say that with a newer car you might have had an HD Radio receiver in the car (and definitely not one in the iPod, Apple never supported it) and there can be slight timing differences between the analog and digital program. But I know Canada hasn't started to use that much even though a lot of cars have had the tuner in for use/sale in the US.

But, the only iPod that actually has the FM tuner is the iPod Nano, and the iPod Nano has a feature where you can set the device to record live FM radio off the air. And this includes a feature where you can do "live pause" by pressing pause while the regular fm radio is on, which switches to a mode where the iPod will record from that point forward and let you listen from where you left off by hitting play again. And some of the models of the iPod Nano made it easier to do this than others, but they all had it.

So probably one of the last times you used it, you either accidentally recorded the normal way, or accidentally activated live pause, and when you went to listen again you were listening from that recording. It'll sound basically the same as any interference or fading you get to listening live, so you wouldn't have even noticed it.

I think you hit the nail on the head- I usually hit the pause button on my earbuds, which I assumed stopped it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

I think it's something like the motor neuron at that site isn't working properly or has some kind of damage or depolarization.

They're usually harmless, but on the rare occasion can be indicative of a more serious disease. As far as I'm aware, there's no particular connection between blood clots and muscle twitches.

Depolarization sounds like big city talk for dehydration. Pretty sure you need electrolytes to fix that. Generally people are well salted up so try potassium or some of the more obscure ones you probably haven't heard of :smugdog:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What's the best cheap way to get a US SIM card so I can keep the same number when I visit the states 1-2 times a year? I'll need data as well as calls/texts.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who came up with the idea to make Hannukah into Jewish Christmas, and when?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Badger of Basra posted:

Who came up with the idea to make Hannukah into Jewish Christmas, and when?

American Jews, and in the late 19th century as Christmas became an American national holiday.
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/hanukkah-gifts/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

greazeball posted:

What's the best cheap way to get a US SIM card so I can keep the same number when I visit the states 1-2 times a year? I'll need data as well as calls/texts.

Any of the prepaid companies. If you're non-us chances are nearly 100% you need GSM carrier and hopefully your phone has enough bands to not suck for where you are in the US. Cricket wireless was an MVNO of AT&T and are now owned by AT&T. There are many others. The challenge may be getting service ready to go and getting a sim card when you are out of the US, so if you have someone here to facilitate that it would be much easier. Otherwise you're dealing with the always scummy airport overpriced sim cards.

If you can't arrange that you can absolutely get to a 'murica big box stores and buy a sim card from many of the competing MVNOs after you get here for a few bucks and activate it using a credit card.

Whereabouts you landing? New York City is way different from Des Moines (yes, this country is big enough to not really be a country).

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Would a library, or somewhere, be interested in cookbooks as a donation? I've accumulated nearly two dozen over the years from roommates and what not, but don't use them. I feel bad putting books in the recycling bin.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DARPA posted:

Would a library, or somewhere, be interested in cookbooks as a donation? I've accumulated nearly two dozen over the years from roommates and what not, but don't use them. I feel bad putting books in the recycling bin.

Go down to your public library or a charity shop, they'll be able to tell you if they're willing to take them. Charity shops will probably take them for sure. Just shove them all in your car and go hit the public library, then a charity shop, and you'll definitely get rid of all of them.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Motronic posted:

Any of the prepaid companies. If you're non-us chances are nearly 100% you need GSM carrier and hopefully your phone has enough bands to not suck for where you are in the US. Cricket wireless was an MVNO of AT&T and are now owned by AT&T. There are many others. The challenge may be getting service ready to go and getting a sim card when you are out of the US, so if you have someone here to facilitate that it would be much easier. Otherwise you're dealing with the always scummy airport overpriced sim cards.

If you can't arrange that you can absolutely get to a 'murica big box stores and buy a sim card from many of the competing MVNOs after you get here for a few bucks and activate it using a credit card.

Whereabouts you landing? New York City is way different from Des Moines (yes, this country is big enough to not really be a country).

I'll be landing in Phoenix and my parents live there. I think what I'm really hoping for is some kind of plan that I can switch from a 1-10GB plan when I'm at home to barebones when I'm not and then I can just switch them back and forth without losing the number. All the pre-paid stuff looks pretty bad: AT&T's $2/day + $1 per 100MB could almost be OK maybe in a pinch but the money in your account has an expiration date and it seems like it would be a real pain to keep it active.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Did suspenders go out of fashion because of the skinhead connection or what?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

greazeball posted:

All the pre-paid stuff looks pretty bad: AT&T's $2/day

As I said, do not look at the carriers. You need to be looking at MVNOs, even if they are owned by the carrier. Cricket is less than half that cost. And there are even cheaper ones out there: https://20somethingfinance.com/best-mvno-prepaid-plans/

And don't put money in an account with them. Pay them when they need to be paid.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That's absolutely brilliant, thanks!

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I like artwork like this:

But I’m unable to classify it so I can search for similar stuff. What are some good buzzwords I can type Into google to get similar pictures?

(I typed white abstract artwork for this one)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
'child downloads first photoshop brush set from deviantart' movement, circa. 2003-2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Did suspenders go out of fashion because of the skinhead connection or what?

I think it's mostly because they're dorky looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jeza posted:

'child downloads first photoshop brush set from deviantart' movement, circa. 2003-2009