Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Anybody ever try or have an opinion on Alamo tube amps? They are old fender like amps made in my hometown. I’m interested in them since they are cheap and I want a champ like low watt tube amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

landgrabber posted:

i know it's days old at this point but i can and will confirm that the CV tele in fact whips 'scrote. i can't feel a difference between it and any of the handful of player series teles that i played, except the neck on thise is like a drat log and the neck on these is more strat like, in terms of radius - which i'd bet most people prefer. it's really loving nice.

i've had a huge change of heart and i really don't gently caress with the neck pickup anymore... but god if the bridge pickup in a telecaster isn't loving amazing, clean AND distorted. holy poo poo.

I’m picking mine up today I’m hype :banjo:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kermit: keep it how it is, the stock telecaster is a classic with a wide berth of tonal options.

Dark Kermit: put a big stupid humbucker in the neck

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Krustic posted:

Anybody ever try or have an opinion on Alamo tube amps? They are old fender like amps made in my hometown. I’m interested in them since they are cheap and I want a champ like low watt tube amp.
If you're not at risk of becoming destitute for GAS'ing on it, go buy that poo poo right now. When you wrote "Fender-like", you basically described most Alamo amps. Especially if they look like an old, tweedy radio box. Get it.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Wark Say posted:

If you're not at risk of becoming destitute for GAS'ing on it, go buy that poo poo right now. When you wrote "Fender-like", you basically described most Alamo amps. Especially if they look like an old, tweedy radio box. Get it.

I decided not to buy one online and try to find one locally first. Buying gear without actually playing it first is generally a bad idea in my experience.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Krustic posted:

I decided not to buy one online and try to find one locally first. Buying gear without actually playing it first is generally a bad idea in my experience.
I've been really lucky, to be honest. The only "bum" deal was with my PRS SE has a slightly weird neck. Still plays way better than almost 7 out of 10 of my guitars despite that, and the locking tuners basically got the tuning stability to stick.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got my Classic Vibe! Plays pretty good out of the box. Don't feel like I need to adjust the neck or anything. The vintage style tuners were much less of a pain than I expected, I even got better wraps on those than the usual style on my Pacifica. I need to check the intonation though and the strings need more stretching. I'll run it by my tutor on Saturday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

I've been really lucky, to be honest. The only "bum" deal was with my PRS SE has a slightly weird neck. Still plays way better than almost 7 out of 10 of my guitars despite that, and the locking tuners basically got the tuning stability to stick.

Yeah I generally only buy online. My biggest guitar regret was an in person buy and one of my current 50/50 if I want to keep it or sell it guitars was also in person. If you stick to good reputable brands and stores then buying online is quite safe.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Got my Classic Vibe! Plays pretty good out of the box. Don't feel like I need to adjust the neck or anything. The vintage style tuners were much less of a pain than I expected, I even got better wraps on those than the usual style on my Pacifica. I need to check the intonation though and the strings need more stretching. I'll run it by my tutor on Saturday.

:hai:

You, landgrabber and me. Vintage blondes!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

:hai:

You, landgrabber and me. Vintage blondes!

Classic Vibe Vintage Blonde crew

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I know there are more of us

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I am always tempted to get a Butterscotch Blonde one.

Edit: On recording, using my Katana’s USB out isn’t working that well for me, too much computer BS. I think I’ll give it a with just my built-in mic for now.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 1, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

nitsuga posted:

I am always tempted to get a Butterscotch Blonde one myself.

You won't be sorry.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

All roads lead to a telecaster eventually.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I play with fists of ham so I kind of want to try the mexicaster if it has a beefier neck.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I almost bought a Charvel metalcaster instead of the PRS. The PRS is great but I dunno, man, a metalcaster...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I play with fists of ham so I kind of want to try the mexicaster if it has a beefier neck.

Truth! I want to give one a try at least.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

I almost bought a Charvel metalcaster instead of the PRS. The PRS is great but I dunno, man, a metalcaster...

I can’t stop lusting over those hardtail san dimas guitars.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was looking at the Joe Duplantier signature model, the matte white with the black binding looked really sharp. The lack of a belly cut probably would've ended up annoying me, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kilometers Davis posted:

:same:

I keep looking at the DK24 also

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I also weirdly find myself wanting to go all 80s on an SSH strat (not superstrat) with a Floyd Rose even though I know for a fact that I don't like Floyd Roses.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Decent acoustic guitar for someone getting back into playing? It will probably be the only one I buy, so I don’t want a piece of crap but I’m also not spending a ton of cash on it. Let’s say less than $200? Doesn’t need to be electric but I think I would prefer steel string.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

Decent acoustic guitar for someone getting back into playing? It will probably be the only one I buy, so I don’t want a piece of crap but I’m also not spending a ton of cash on it. Let’s say less than $200? Doesn’t need to be electric but I think I would prefer steel string.
Got you covered, fam. :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

I was looking at the Joe Duplantier signature model, the matte white with the black binding looked really sharp. The lack of a belly cut probably would've ended up annoying me, though.

Shugojin posted:

:same:

I keep looking at the DK24 also

:hfive:

I’ve become a bit of a Charvel fanboy even though I’ve never owned one!

Why do I love that Stratacoustic lol

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Krustic posted:

Good choice. Alamos were straight-up Fender clones in design, but a gently caress of a lot cheaper in build quality (particle board where Fender would have used solid wood, for instance). It'll be fine once you have it home (although, you probably shouldn't gig with it) but you should visually inspect one before buying.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I was listening to the band Whores yesterday so I made a riff that sounds a bit like them trying to cop their fuzz tone

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/whoreful

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

nwin posted:

Yamaha FG800 is 200 on the money. Reverb has one for 150 with free shipping right now and new for 180 from them. My LGS frequently knocks 20 dollars off every guitar without even asking and yours might be the same.

I've never played the 800 but I have 340 from like '81 and it still looks and plays like new.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

massive spider posted:

I was listening to the band Whores yesterday so I made a riff that sounds a bit like them trying to cop their fuzz tone

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/whoreful

Mmm nice and heavy

Background photo fits just right

rio
Mar 20, 2008

nwin posted:

I’d get a Yamaha in that price range for acoustics.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Yamaha FS820 here is $A400 discounted $100 and the FS830 is A$550 discounted $120 (from one online retailer here). That price point is not worth it for a different CITIES-averse wood and a prettier rosette, and a solid top guitar at the FS820's price is insanely good.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 2, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The more research I'm doing, the more questions that come up. I'm seeing recommendations to go with a used Seagull S6, a new Orangewood guitar, or a new Yamaha. The used Fenders that were posted didn't really jump out to me except for the F35, and reviews were all over the place about them. I know the best idea is to go to a local store and try out a bunch and buy what I like, but they probably won't have Orangewood guitars, who knows if they'll have a Seagull laying around, and I can probably go anywhere to play a Yamaha.

Is there anything on Reverb people see that screams good deal for $250 or less? I can wait until January to get an Orangewood, since that's when they are supposed to ship, if that's really going to be the best bang for the buck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Could you by chance double your upper price limit? If you did you would have way better and easier to track down options.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could you by chance double your upper price limit? If you did you would have way better and easier to track down options.

I'd rather not. I haven't picked up a guitar for around 15 years and was just thinking it would be neat to pick it up again. I have an old Ibanez electric I've been lugging around with me over the years and took that out a few months ago to see if I remembered anything and it was pretty embarrassing, but I had fun with it. I just don't want to sink $500 into it and then have it sit there, whereas $250 or so I'm ok with.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Just buy something used that you like. A guitar that you feel some connection with is much better than a guitar someone else says is the right one but you don’t wind up liking it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah and if you don't care that much, why stress over some hard-to-find model? I think that Yamaha is the one that usually gets posted as a solid recommend, so if you can play one go try it out and see if you click with it!

The best guitar is the one you're playing, or something

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nwin posted:

I'd rather not. I haven't picked up a guitar for around 15 years and was just thinking it would be neat to pick it up again. I have an old Ibanez electric I've been lugging around with me over the years and took that out a few months ago to see if I remembered anything and it was pretty embarrassing, but I had fun with it. I just don't want to sink $500 into it and then have it sit there, whereas $250 or so I'm ok with.

Guitar Center's used selection is hard to beat. Here's an S6 for $200 + tax and shipping, and they're really good with returns too. Otherwise, as other people have said, the Yamaha is a pretty solid choice too. Kind of hard to wrong with anything of theirs either.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

I linked those Fender guitars because for cheap acoustics, they're hard to beat, but if you find any Yamaha at a similar price range, go for that instead. Yamaha musical instruments might not be the most visually attractive, but goddamn are they built to last. The oldest instrument I have that I still use is a beat-up grayish-green Yamaha 4-string bass that still whips really well

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rio posted:

I’d get a Yamaha in that price range for acoustics.

Go used and you can score a really nice Yamaha. I paid like 400 bucks for my AC3R slightly used and it cost nearly 3x that new; the second hand value on them is pretty low which benefits those buying used!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need a better acoustic eventually. Likely a new Yamaha or Seagull. What would you all say the difference is between their offerings at similar price points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Are there any tips on helping learn songs by ear or is it basically just practice a bunch? Decided I wanted to try and learn a song this way (mostly because I can't find any tabs online) and I'm having trouble finding that opening note. I feel like I know an ok amount of theory that I might be able to work it out once I find the home base to work from but I'm not sure if there are better ways to figure this out besides trial and error.

If anyone cares this is the song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auz3ZybYomQ