Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Oh sure commit wire fraud.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

I called again and managed to convince the power company to come out and take care of it.

E: nevermind they called me back and said it's not their problem

I swear you must be taking up all the bad house karma for everyone in the neighborhood. I’d call up a tree guy and let them deal with it. I had a tree fall on my power line and rip the meter off the house and Xcel energy came out same day and cut my tree up for me.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I texted my neighbor to let her know and she knows-a-guy who will take care of it on Friday. So that's okay by me.

e: Also just got home and it's now resting one end on the ground so there's no real pressure on the wire. Not sure if the neighbor did that or if it just ripped/rubbed through it over the day, but it makes me feel better.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 29, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know some people in here were talking about it a bit ago, there's a sale on tankless water heaters on Amazon today.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876004&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Two-part question:

1) How critical is it to replace rotting fascia boards ASAP?

2) What causes this and how do I prevent it? Or is this just another "lovely thing that happens" on a house that I have to throw money at every once in a while?

Our house is 20 years old and we've owned it for about 2.5 years. We've had to replace a few boards already (some were found at inspection, others a year or so later), and I see some more that need replacing. Some are behind gutters that have had clogs, so I assume getting dumped on from an overflowing gutters is a prime cause. However other boards are in seemingly random places, so it doesn't seem obvious as to why/how they'd rot out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I decided to peek into my neighbors yard since I haven’t looked out of that window in a while and I’m treated to the aftermath of a small chicken coop fire. Nice to know the probability of losing my house spiked sometime last week.

I have no clue when it happened actually, but it’s recent. The new fence panel indicates at least enough time has passed to visit a Home Depot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That fence is lookin haggard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

so did the distraction work? did the chickens get away?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

so did the distraction work? did the chickens get away?

No but they were tender.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I finally learned the root cause of the plumbing issues I've been having. Looks like I have some sort of partial clogging in the cast iron drain pipes, and the clog appears to be underneath the foundation.

Waiting for a quote from the plumbing company. Will also talk to the home warranty folks. Hopefully they cover this type of stuff.

Home ownership is fun!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Went up to clean out my gutters and found out that some of the plants growing up our walls have sent feelers up under the tile roof. Ugh.

We're talking about getting a deeper basement so there's room for heated floors, but this also necessitates putting in insulation on the outsides of the basement walls, which naturally clears the vines and roses we have growing along the walls.

Getting all this stuff done is going to cost a fortune.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

We had asked our contractor to remove the dropped drywall soffit and cabinet above the refrigerator and this is what we came back home to.

I had thought the soffit was just empty space but there are about 6 wires running through it instead of in the wall studs. I wish he had stopped when he saw the wires, and the miscommunication that caused all of our upper cabinets to get taken down is infuriating, but hindsight is not helpful at this point. Should we put everything back? Can an electrician easily get the wires out of the soffits and into the studs to completely eliminate the dropped soffit? The wires are coming down from the attic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't know the answer myself, but I suggest you ask in the electrical thread.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So been having the absolute hardest time trying to get a fence (2,500ft linear) put up because no one can seem to commit. Is putting up fencing something that contractors hate to do?

Also, any recommendations on backup power generators? I definitely, want to get one as I have a feeling winter is going to be bad this year.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Etrips posted:

So been having the absolute hardest time trying to get a fence (2,500ft linear) put up because no one can seem to commit. Is putting up fencing something that contractors hate to do?

Also, any recommendations on backup power generators? I definitely, want to get one as I have a feeling winter is going to be bad this year.

I don't know a ton about generators but I have read that you definitely should get one that can run off of liquid propane. Unlike gasoline, propane can sit idle in a tank virtually forever without going bad, so you don't have to worry about making sure your fuel source stays fresh when not in use. With propane you just leave a couple tanks near your generator and it's ready and waiting to go when you need it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just wanted to give a big gently caress you to the PO/plumber who installed a toilet with barely 3" of clearance on the side with the flush, so not only do 90% of replacement levers not fit, you can't even remove the one there without a hacksaw.

There is more than a foot of space on the other side, too. Or just use a tank with a front mount!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Etrips posted:

What size? You looking for a whole house generator? My extended family in hurricane prone areas all have natural gas powered 20 kW Generac units and they work well.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

skipdogg posted:

What size? You looking for a whole house generator? My extended family in hurricane prone areas all have natural gas powered 20 kW Generac units and they work well.

I'm still tallying up everything I would want to be powered. But, yes a whole house generator. I live out in the sticks without any gas lines running to us so I think my options are going to be gasoline/diesel/propane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Etrips posted:

Try landscaping companies. If they won't do it, they'll likely know who will.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Etrips posted:

I'm putting in a fence too... It's only 325 linear feet and it's averaging $6k. I don't even want to think about how much 2500 linear feet costs. It's possible you're scaring them off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That price varies massively by where you live, the materials and design of fencing your'e using, and accessibility of the site.

My most recent fencing repair (replace ~50 feet?) was done by "a fence guy" my next door neighbor knew, for something like $800 including materials. That was 8 years ago though. It's a very simple ~7' high one-sided construction where the planks don't overlap so you can sort of see through the gaps a little, which is cheap but fine for my purposes in that spot.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

$2400 estimate to have a cleanout installed on my septic sandtrap...ugh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

I'm still tallying up everything I would want to be powered. But, yes a whole house generator. I live out in the sticks without any gas lines running to us so I think my options are going to be gasoline/diesel/propane.

Do you have a well, what is your heat source, what is your stove and dryer fuel source, and are you in a situation where you might need to run something like air conditioning while on generator?

Also, what amperage is your panel/service?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheWevel posted:

I'm putting in a fence too... It's only 325 linear feet and it's averaging $6k. I don't even want to think about how much 2500 linear feet costs. It's possible you're scaring them off.

What type of fence? I just paid $4400 for 172’ of 6’ wooden privacy fence.

I have another 400 feet to do with 4 foot faux rod iron which will be around $15k.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jealous Cow posted:

What type of fence? I just paid $4400 for 172’ of 6’ wooden privacy fence.

I have another 400 feet to do with 4 foot faux rod iron which will be around $15k.

6' shadowbox due to HOA requirements. If it was regular privacy it would be a lot cheaper. :(

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Motronic posted:

Do you have a well, what is your heat source, what is your stove and dryer fuel source, and are you in a situation where you might need to run something like air conditioning while on generator?

Also, what amperage is your panel/service?

Well, heat pump/central heat, house runs on electricity, 2x 200 amp panels, yes on a/c.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Etrips posted:

Well, heat pump/central heat, house runs on electricity, 2x 200 amp panels, yes on a/c.

You need to have a professional quote this out. Any idea how hard it would be to get natural gas ran to your property?

The electric heat is a killer, especially if it gets so cold the heatpumps fall back to emergency heat. Those heat strips are like running a 5kW toaster.

Fuel storage is something else to consider. You're going to need big LPG tanks to fuel the thing. A 36 or 48kW Generac is going to use 4 to 8 gallons of LPG an hour. A 500 gallon tank filled to 80% will get you 50 to 100 hours of runtime.

I'd find a local company that does this and give them a shout.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Etrips posted:

Consider that it might be cheaper to change out and run your appliances on propane than size a generator to keep your house at 100% year-round. What is the most likely climate where you would need to run the generator?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

skipdogg posted:

You need to have a professional quote this out. Any idea how hard it would be to get natural gas ran to your property?
I would imagine it would be pretty expensive, the house sits at the end of a private 1/2-3/4 mile gravel driveway.

H110Hawk posted:

Consider that it might be cheaper to change out and run your appliances on propane than size a generator to keep your house at 100% year-round. What is the most likely climate where you would need to run the generator?

Mid Atlantic region. So really snowstorms whenever power lines get taken down.

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to give this a lot more thought.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Etrips posted:

Holy poo poo. Are you actually Doc Brown?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Go solar and get like 5 powerwalls? If you’re 100% on electricity and in the boonies that seems legit (and expensive).

edit: if you actually drain 40kW/hr then never mind on this. That’s a crazy electrical load.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Etrips posted:

I would imagine it would be pretty expensive, the house sits at the end of a private 1/2-3/4 mile gravel driveway.

Mid Atlantic region. So really snowstorms whenever power lines get taken down.

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to give this a lot more thought.

Curb to your house is cheap. It's getting it to your curb that's going to cost you.

If you can live with not putting your AC on the generator and switching to propane emergency heat you might be able to do this way cheaper. Not cooking and running your clothes dryer simultaneously for example reduces your load. It's spreadsheet time for sure. What do you pay per kwh, per gallon of lpg delivered, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Yep, this. Electric heat is a deal killer here. Well, I mean, usually unless you got some crazy good hookups and can score free or cheap datacenter leftover generators and are willing and able to deal with that kind of thing.

Etrips posted:

So, for example:

This 5 foot long 2000 lb generator that I'll be installing has a Ford 6 cylinder pickup truck motor in it and will only (lol, only) be able to produce about 185 watts of power:

It's a 35kw generator.

You need a 65k. And the cheap ones are like $16-20k not counting the transfer switch, panel and fuel storage. You will burn well over 100 gal per day if things are running full tilt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Etrips posted:

In my area there a fence companies that just do fences.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Do LPG tanks introduce the same potential local environmental liability concerns as oil tanks did?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Do LPG tanks introduce the same potential local environmental liability concerns as oil tanks did?

While LPG is heavier than air, a leaking buried tank is not going to trigger "I accidentally 1000 gallons of heating oil from my rusty UST into the creek". In fact, I'm not aware of any residential level remediation events.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

While LPG is heavier than air, a leaking buried tank is not going to trigger "I accidentally 1000 gallons of heating oil from my rusty UST into the creek". In fact, I'm not aware of any residential level remediation events.

It flashes off eventually and kills the ozone instead of ostensibly permanently poisoning the ground. Your biggest concern is going to be 400 gallons of LPG makes for quite the bomb when it's turned into a loosely dispersed gas. (-42°C boiling point, so if there is sufficient propane to form a puddle you're going to worried about oxygen depletion, frostbite, and boom.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 11, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It flashes off eventually and kills the ozone instead of ostensibly permanently poisoning the ground. Your biggest concern is going to be 400 gallons of LPG makes for quite the bomb when it's turned into a loosely dispersed gas. (-42°C boiling point, so if there is sufficient propane to form a puddle you're going to worried about oxygen depletion, frostbite, and boom.)

It also makes driving a diesel loader into the pit it settled in really exciting. Had a couple of friends at a local quarry with a story about that. It started out "drat, this thing is running great today" and ended with the fire department, state hazmat team and OSHA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to build an off the grid solar+LPG cabin. I feel like we’re almost in the realm of it being practical, it’s just battery storage that kills it. Power walls are loving expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheWevel posted:

6' shadowbox due to HOA requirements. If it was regular privacy it would be a lot cheaper. :(

Shadowbox has the added benefit of being that much more of a pain in the rear end to restain